ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Tech, Maintenance & Repairs
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 50" Rear projection Monitor Swap - OutRun 2 SP DLX
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

50" Rear projection Monitor Swap - OutRun 2 SP DLX

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
K1ngarth3r View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K1ngarth3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 9:56pm
Looks amazing, great job!
Outrun2 View Drop Down
User
User
Colonel Outrun

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outrun2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2015 at 4:41pm
Looks absolutely storming mate! That picture is gorgeous, well worth all the effort and so much nicer than a widescreen LCD. Love Sony TVs so what an unstoppable combination with a great Sega cab

..and love seeing the cab right next to an original OutRun - look at the difference in size!!
Would like:
No more cabs.. please!!
nurtuo View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nurtuo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 1:45pm
Lovely Work there Olly. 

Silly Question, do you remember the Model number of the Sony TV?

Smile
You're Cool, The Engines Hot, The Girl Is Gorgeous, A Tankful Of Gas And An Open Road......The Rest Is Up To You!
muddymusic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Repro Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 1:50pm
Yeah it's in the mass of text LOL

Sony KLX-9200
Repro Arcade Artwork supplier, pm me or visit arcadeartshop.com
nurtuo View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nurtuo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by muddymusic muddymusic wrote:

Yeah it's in the mass of text LOL

Sony KLX-9200

Sorry my fault, the words on the screen were blurred by me dribbling on it.

LOL
You're Cool, The Engines Hot, The Girl Is Gorgeous, A Tankful Of Gas And An Open Road......The Rest Is Up To You!
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Repro Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 1:59pm
Funny reading through this again. I still can't believe we took a saw to it like that!
nurtuo View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nurtuo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 2:01pm

Funny reading through this again. I still can't believe we took a saw to it like that!

Looking back, would you have done anything different?
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Repro Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 2:07pm
Yeah - kept the bloody cab LOL
nurtuo View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nurtuo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 2:31pm

Yeah - kept the bloody cab LOL

LOL Now I have dropped my coffee laughing!

sosfx View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sosfx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 10:21pm
Quality mate, it looks amazing. I did think about doing this when I was sorting out my 50' cab but went with a projector in the end, couldn't find any 50' TV's at all. think that most have gone to landfill :(

John Bennett View Drop Down

4 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 10:52pm
Finding a 50" 4:3 rear-projection TV is incredibly hard. I've seen maybe a couple in a year.

Finding one that's also VGA resolution is near impossible, sadly.

I know I mentioned it on the other thread, but putting an ultrashort projector inside the existing 50" 4:3 monitor box is pretty-much making your own rear-projection monitor.
http://www.philwip.com -sibling 'fix-off' (I’m losing by miles).
jfs9999 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfs9999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 9:28am
Hello John Bennett.

Do you know (reference) a good ultra short projector that can be put inside a 50" 4/3 cabinet (15khz)? I want to replace my faulty Mitsubishi projector in my sega megalo cabinet. 
Thank for your advises. 

Edited by jfs9999 - 20 Jul 2020 at 9:31am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 9:50am
Originally posted by jfs9999 jfs9999 wrote:

Hello John Bennett.

Do you know (reference) a good ultra short projector that can be put inside a 50" 4/3 cabinet (15khz)? I want to replace my faulty Mitsubishi projector in my sega megalo cabinet. 
Thank for your advises. 

Yeah, please keep the projection! There was a lot of discussion in this thread though:

In short, if you want to keep the mirror and put the projector near to the original CRTs go, then you need a keystone of 40 degrees (a lot). But you can do it from behind without the mirror using an even shorter throw projector. 

I'll have a think and get back to you. 

Edited by John Bennett - 20 Jul 2020 at 9:51am
jfs9999 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfs9999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 10:18am
Thanks John!

I ve read the topic about HOD3 but can't find a good VP reference.

Edited by jfs9999 - 20 Jul 2020 at 10:21am
david656 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote david656 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 11:22am
Just to echo previous discussions with John and others, I have a HOTD2 super deluxe that I want to fit some sort of 50" rear projection option, and it needs to have VGA. 

jfs9999 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfs9999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2020 at 12:56pm
@John bennett : some news?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2020 at 10:27pm
Sorry for the delay. There's a danger I'll end up repeating what I've said before, but some thoughts.

If you want to put the projector where the CRTs go (at the bottom, pointing onto the mirror), then you need: 

4:3
Throw: 0.62:1 (or shorter)
Keystone +/- 40 degrees

As for the minimum display frequency, ideally something that lists 15kHz and 24kHz if you want to play JAMMA and medium-resolution stuff. Failing that, you'll have to add a a frequency converter board (which is a mixed bag - OSSC sounds the best as it's least lag and emulates scanlines).

Sadly, I don't think there's many projectors that do that massive keystone. The Benq MW621ST does and there's at least one Acer that does, but otherwise I don't know - I'll have to look at some databases.

However... I think the projector's behind ends up sticking out of the front of the cab, which you could get away with a Megalo410 or a Daytona, where the console is pushed upto the screen, but in a Megalo50  and some other cabs, that's not viable.

So, I think you might have to experiment by removing the mirror and projecting from the rear, as in the HOT3 cab.

The depth of a Megalo50 is about 60cm, so you want something that can focus at comfortably less than that 50cm (including the length of the projector).
The throw is the projection distance (e.g. 50cm) divided horizontal size of the monitor (about 40 inch = 100cm), so 0.5 or lower.

The NEC UM280x is the projector being used in the HOT3 thread- might be worth asking orphanzombie if he's made more progress and how it looks now. The specs do say it can fit inside a Megalo comfortably.
It's all a bit experimental, so I'd go for a second hand unit off eBay for around £100 - you don't want to spend hundreds.
There's a few of the NECs on eBay, all under £100. The price reflects the lamp hours used. I think you can get replacement lamps for a reasonable price (but do check) 
I can't promise it'll work perfectly - I should buy one myself for a play around, but I don't have a 50" cab. It MIGHT work with 15kHz, otherwise you'll need a converter.
jfs9999 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfs9999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 11:27am
Thank John Bennett, good explanation!

So  the Benq MW621ST can display 15 khz source ( because i wan't to use my Mame box in 15khz) isn't it? This model seems to be hard to find ?

Do you know is the Benq MW632ST is also a good projector to use ?

Edited by jfs9999 - 26 Jul 2020 at 11:57am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 6:34pm
Hmm, I'm not sure. 
Like the other Benq, it's not an ultra-short- throw, so it won't fit inside the monitor - it would have to stick out the front (with the image reflecting off the mirror).
They keystone is also only 30", so it might not produce a square image.
And it's £500

I think removing the mirror and trying to fit a used NEC (for <£100) would be safer experiment. If it doesn't display 15kHz, then try an OSSC or a cheaper image scaler. 
Orphanzombie View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orphanzombie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2020 at 3:30pm
So i have fitted 2 of the projectors i got which are um280x had okay results but havent taken much time to tune it and really have jusy plonked them in due to time.

I have linked what i have got so far image isnt yhe best but this is due to the lenses f**king up the image as when paper is placed on the inside of the machine the image is good.

The projectors i used can take 15khz no problems and it didnt glich out and not properly sync

http://imgur.com/gallery/OXp4FDS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic