ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Tech, Maintenance & Repairs
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 50" Rear projection Monitor Swap - OutRun 2 SP DLX
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

50" Rear projection Monitor Swap - OutRun 2 SP DLX

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
John Bennett View Drop Down

4 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2020 at 5:09pm
Hmm. It's great it's 50", 4:3 and does 15kHz without an adaptor, but yeah, the picture's not overwhelming.

Are those pcitures with the back on the monitors to stop stray light.

It might be that the fresnel doesn't help at all and you'll have to remove it - I presumed they're there to straighten the light from the 3 CRTs, but as this is a single light source, I can see how it could cause distortion.
Is it a 2-part screen like TVs, so there's the fresnel and then a lenticular sheet on the very front? The sheet alone might be enough.
You can also get plastic sheets intended for rear projection setups - there's guys playing with them on the Megalo410 restoration thread on Arcade Projects.

I think I need to buy one of these NEC's for a play anyway, they're cheap enough second hand. Wonder what the lag is...
http://www.philwip.com -sibling 'fix-off' (I’m losing by miles).
Sbdesign View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sbdesign Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2020 at 5:23pm
Ive also used rear projection material, stretched around a frame and slotted in.  I too had issues with fresnel. 
Primarily collecting 90's - 2000 Sega
Model 1 / 2 / 3 / Naomi
Orphanzombie View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orphanzombie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2020 at 5:28pm
Thats with the backs completely off too so i havent put it back together il try without the fresenal tommrow same with the back wood piece back on.

Lag is not an issue i was playing fine even with those red soldier bastards jumping out i didnt notice any lag a converter like those cheap gbs8000 or whatevers probably would add a little lag too.
John Bennett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2020 at 5:40pm
Yeah, it's definitely better than having a converter involved.

Great research anyway - the more cabs that can stay 50" 4:3 the better (even if it's a shame to consign mirrors and fresnels to the cupboard).

Can you remember what material you used, Sbdesign? 
You can get replacement lenticular rear projection sheets, I believe, which at least makes it look authentic from the outside (and brighter that just a white sheet). 
http://www.philwip.com -sibling 'fix-off' (I’m losing by miles).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic