ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Tech, Maintenance & Repairs
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 50" Rear projection Monitor Swap - OutRun 2 SP DLX
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

50" Rear projection Monitor Swap - OutRun 2 SP DLX

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
muddymusic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Repro Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 50" Rear projection Monitor Swap - OutRun 2 SP DLX
    Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 7:00pm
Some of you will have seen I picked up an OutRun 2 SP DLX last year, this is the big 50" version which Sega did with a lot of their games.

You have the main cabinet and then a separate monitor box housing a 50" rear projection tv. This is always either burnt to hell, a terrible washed out image or completely dead. This cab had the Wells Gardner LCD conversion kit fitted as part of the deal when I bought it - I was quite happy with it, it was nicely done and gave a bright and crisp image.

This game is one of my absolute favourites so I really wanted to try and get it back to original if I could, as the LCD kit means the game is running in widescreen and only 42" was available to use so you have a sizable bezel around the edges of the screen, when originally the picture would fill the whole frame.

tb2000 very wisely suggested I could try fitting a certain Sony RPTV in there, which happened to be listed for sale on Jamma+, so I thought I'd give it a go. The model is a Sony KLX-9200 50" rear projection LCD.
It's one of the last RPTV's Sony made I believe so has an incredible range of inputs and image options but importantly is 4:3 and multisync.

Fitting it was not going to be straightforward. It needed to be kept in its casing and also made to fit inside the original backbox for the cabinet so some pretty intense modifications had to be made...

We removed the LCD kit and wrapped it up safely. Then removed the entire original rear projection kit which was still in there, and that's a fair bit of kit when you pull it all out!

Then the main shelf was removed from the cab as the base of the TV would need to sit inside.

Then a section of the front had to be cut away to make the front panel fit ok. We removed ALL the internal pieces of wood, all the sensors, the wood around the edges of the screen and then the rear panel as the TV will stick out the back a few inches, this will have a cover fitted like my Chase HQ cab does. The cabinet was quite flimsy at this point.

We offered it up but the TV casing was too wide to fit. By 1/4 of an inch! Stern Smile

So it was time to do some more modifications...

It was carefully measured before we took to it with the saw. It felt really wrong to do this but, no going back now LOL

And there goes 1/4" of the case.

Measurements all look good now. It should fit exactly.

Thank f*ck for that! It's a perfect fit, and the original metal bezel fits right over it.

So it's a good result. I've taken some pics on my decent camera to show the quality of the picture now I'll stick in the next post. It was well worth doing, and it really does look amazing when you're sat in the seat as it pretty much fills your field of vision.

Thanks to tb2000 for thinking of doing this, and then for doing most of the destruction modifications which he seemed to enjoy a little too much LOL

Pros and Cons to this....

Cons

Have to significantly alter the original PTV cabinet which makes it quite flimsy.
It takes a long time to do and is a 2 man job.
You have to hack up a nice TV.
Have to cut air holes and sensor holes for the replacement screen fan and remote.

Pros

The picture is bloody amazing.
Screen size and aspect are how it was originally meant to look.
The TV is free voltage so you can run it off the original 110v monitor feed.
No hacking to the wiring, just had to join together a power feed that was already in the cab.
The whole thing still runs off one socket.
It really looks bloody amazing.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Repro Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 7:05pm

The original OutRun monitor looks like a postage stamp against this Shocked

Hurray Banana View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurray Banana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 7:05pm
That olly is a ridiculous picture, nice
virtvic View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Cabaret King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote virtvic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 7:22pm
Great! - Now get 3 wonders or Bank Panic on there and it will be amazing! LOL

Hmm - Bank Panic with a steering wheel?
THE PENCE IS MIGHTIER THAN THE SWORD!

Check out the podcast

http://tenpencearcade.co.uk

Got cabarets? > CALL ME!
WTGBoab View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WTGBoab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 7:33pm
Wow... That looks incredible!
neil1637 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neil1637 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 7:34pm
Ridiculously good!!

A brave man taking a handsaw to a TV. Must've felt really wrong! He he.

Top notch job and an awesome finished picture.

Congrats
Please visit my Arcade Diary Blog at https://neilsarcadediary.wordpress.com/

Grail search - Donkey Kong and Pole Position upright.
Beaps View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beaps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 7:34pm
Oh my, what can I say. Looks jaw dropping to me. I am a stickler for things like picture quality but to me I don't thing you could get any better.
You need a RGH/Jtag Xbox 360 Console, ready to go, drop me a PM.
(.Y.)
anj View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 7:47pm
that's cool , looks a lot better than wide screen
tb lilley View Drop Down
5 Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb lilley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 7:55pm
Nice work. Well played.
griffo83x View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote griffo83x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 8:00pm

those boarders on the original pic were terrible :(

looks loads better now :) , But that gap on top of the monitor would do my head in.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Repro Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by Beaps Beaps wrote:

Oh my, what can I say. Looks jaw dropping to me. I am a stickler for things like picture quality but to me I don't thing you could get any better.

I genuinely think this is now the best this game could ever look on this setup. At this size there are little bits of detail I've never noticed before, and the HDR effects are more intense. I think this must be comparable to the day this left the factory with a brand new perfectly set up rear projection screen. We probably spent about 8 hours getting the work done.
Buttonbasher View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buttonbasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 8:03pm
The difference is incredible, top work
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Repro Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by griffo83x griffo83x wrote:

those boarders on the original pic were terrible :(

looks loads better now :) , But that gap on top of the monitor would do my head in.

There isn't a gap - The bezel fits exactly up to the visible screen area. The topper wasn't fitted properly until the last set of photos so it just appears that way.
griffo83x View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote griffo83x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 8:12pm
cool  :), it was not obvious in you later photos , but its all i could see in the earlier ones. that gap would of drove me mad  LOL . awesome cab :)
Urgentemente View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urgentemente Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 8:19pm
It looks amazing even just on a photo, can't imagine how good it looks in real life , great job :)

lespotts View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lespotts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 8:34pm
Well done Olly, looks great!
mr_ppp View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr_ppp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 8:56pm
Awesome cab and awesome work done!
devtty0 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote devtty0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 9:02pm
wow, the difference in screen size is crazy!
tb2000 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 9:33pm
Looks the business! Thumbs Up I didn't really enjoy it (might have seemed that way! LOL), seemed wrong to remove all the original stuff, to be honest if the original CRT rear pro was working and this 4:3 Sony hadn't come up for sale I would've recommended re-tubing the monitor (the originals had severe burn). Can be done fairly easily with the right tubes from a TV (even 16:9 ones as they use 4:3 tubes). Just to say though, this 4:3 Sony isn't a TV as such as there's no tuner, I think it's actually called a data display or something like that! I'd have thought that Wells Gardner (the manufacturer of the lcd screen) would've made 4:3 displays to fit these machines - presumably they use someone else's lcd panel and don't manufacture their own (just fit their own electronics) so had to make it 16:9. Looked ok but nowhere near as good as the 4:3! Smile

Edited by tb2000 - 11 Feb 2015 at 9:52pm
ColinD View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ColinD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 9:44pm
That's super sweet :-)  Nice work 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic