Forum Home Forum Home > Arcade > General Arcade Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Acer 15Khz LCD Monitor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chunksin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Acer 15Khz LCD Monitor
    Posted: 29 Mar 2019 at 2:01pm
I was searching for some info on 15Khz video signals over lunch (as you do!) and came across a list of LCD monitors that support 15Khz signals. Most of them are fairly old and have rubbish response times and poor viewing angles that plagued the technology early on but then spotted a 2017 Acer model with a 5ms response time that supposedly can display 15Khz via the VGA input. I've taken a punt on a cheap second hand one via eBay and will feedback as to whether it actually works or not! I need a 1080p monitor anyway so it will be a nice bonus if it can.
big10p View Drop Down

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2019 at 2:26pm
Interesting. What model is it?
WANTED: Sega Cash Cube CP end plate. Click me for details!
Chunksin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chunksin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2019 at 2:30pm
Oh yeah, sorry, that would help! It's the Acer V226HQL
2huwman View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2huwman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2019 at 2:42pm
Yeah, it's worth getting one of these if you do a lot with groovymame etc. 

I got a BenQ BL702A which is a 17" 1280x1024 LCD. They come up occasionally on Amazon Warehouse for £30. It does 15KHz and saves a lot of hassle with CRTemudriver 2.0! Displays all sorts of resolutions that most LCDs don't. 
Message me if you need a JAMMA Cab-ready 15Khz MAME PC!

https://www.arcadepcs.com/
big10p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2019 at 2:52pm
Just stumbled across this list of 15khz monitors.

WANTED: Sega Cash Cube CP end plate. Click me for details!
Chunksin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chunksin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2019 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by 2huwman 2huwman wrote:

I got a BenQ BL702A which is a 17" 1280x1024 LCD. They come up occasionally on Amazon Warehouse for £30. It does 15KHz and saves a lot of hassle with CRTemudriver 2.0! Displays all sorts of resolutions that most LCDs don't. 

Thanks Rich, I searched for that one but couldn't find one at a decent price. Just been updating my groovymame image and getting grief for hogging the dining table with monitors!
2huwman View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2huwman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2019 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by Chunksin Chunksin wrote:

Originally posted by 2huwman 2huwman wrote:

Thanks Rich, I searched for that one but couldn't find one at a decent price. Just been updating my groovymame image and getting grief for hogging the dining table with monitors!

yeah, they do seem to be pricey new - £100 on CPC. it's worth checking on amazon warehouse every so often as they're cheap when they have them. response time of 5ms, so could be worse. 

Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2019 at 5:44pm
I have yet to see a flat panel that doesn't tear like a crazy mofo when displaying low res console output, which is effectively 15Khz of course.
Change my mind! Big smileWink

WTD: Outrun DLX cab, Rolling Thunder pcb
Parts WTD: Dino King Door, Coin Box, Coin Chute
2huwman View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2huwman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2019 at 5:47pm
I'll give it a try with air buster - if it can handle that fast parallax scrolling smoothly then that'll be an achievement!

Brettster View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brettster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2019 at 6:17pm
I have a Dell 4:3 LCD that does 15 Khz but only with Composite and Svideo inputs :( VGA is still 31Khz
Looking for More Space!!
ShinraArcade View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShinraArcade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2019 at 11:40pm
Originally posted by Brettster Brettster wrote:

I have a Dell 4:3 LCD that does 15 Khz but only with Composite and Svideo inputs :( VGA is still 31Khz

This is my finding as well I have an HP and an AOC which are 15Khz but only via comp.

grobda View Drop Down
User
User
"Look at the size of that thing!"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grobda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2019 at 11:47pm
ive got an acer g246hl that works well in 15khz - 24", 1080p,2ms response time according to the box
sporadically obsessed with this sh*t
penrhos View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penrhos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 7:28am
I've had a few Dell 2001FP's and they're great - easy to de-case if you want to replace a knackered CRT with one....

Chunksin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chunksin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 12:44pm
It arrived and works great! no problems displaying 15Khz resolutions, I've tested 60, 59 and 57Hz so far and it displays the image fine with smooth scrolling and no tearing. Of course you get the usual LCD blockiness and soft image but for testing this is great!
iamjimmi View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamjimmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 3:30pm
Thanks for reporting back. Ebay is full of them... Buy it now here I come..
iamjimmi View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamjimmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 4:25pm
Quick question before I order...

Noted the Acer V226HQLbid has built in HDMI, which would save me buying an extra lead if I also used it with my work laptop.

But having trouble finding the VGA specs - any idea if the entire V226HQL range supports 15Khz via VGA?

Edited by iamjimmi - 05 Apr 2019 at 4:25pm
deano76 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deano76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 4:47pm
Not sure if this is of any use but I used my Dell LCD model E170Sc the other day whilst setting up Chunksin's Groovy Time Plus on my MAME PC. It can display a 15KHz signal at 640x480 through the VGA port which was ideal for what I was doing.

Saved me getting the old Acorn multisync CRT monitor down from the loft !
guddler View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Busting vectors like it's 1982!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 4:56pm
What am I missing here? The Acer monitor is 16:9. The BenQ 702A is the correct aspect ratio, 4:3. That's better, no?

Amazon have them for £99. Thats pretty good for brand new monitors.

I have one of the BenQ's that I use for my Amiga since it displays the VGA output from the RTG graphics card AND the native 15.75Khz signal from the OCS / ECS chipset which it does at 50Hz with no tearing, albeit I would like scanlines but that's the nature of the beast with LCD. I would need to scan double the output and blank every other line but that's a project for another day.
iamjimmi View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamjimmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 5:03pm
I could do with a windows monitor for home. And also need a 15khz for setting up Groovy. Once set up I would use Groovy in a cab. So for me, the Acer is the better option. But agree... If you want 4:3 go BenQ...
Sbdesign View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sbdesign Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by guddler guddler wrote:

What am I missing here? The Acer monitor is 16:9. The BenQ 702A is the correct aspect ratio, 4:3. That's better, no?

Its more the correct shape being 5:4, but its not 4:3
I would have thought its better to answer the question.
WTD:       VIRTUA COP 1 SEGA 1994
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic