ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Arcade > General Arcade Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Any collectors of pre '77 TTL based games?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaunholley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any collectors of pre '77 TTL based games?
    Posted: 08 Mar 2014 at 11:00am
As a non-collector but avid gamer I have a growing interest in the 'Bronze Age' discreet logic arcade games from Computer Space to Breakout and beyond. Does anyone in the UK collect these cabs, and indeed is it even possible? Did they make it over the water in large quantities? I have hazy memories of playing a B&W Sprint / Gran Trak style game, Super Bug, a Sea Wolf thing and an Atari sports game but that's about it. And, because of their solid state design, are they easier to maintain? It concerns me that one day these games will be lost forever. Hurry up clever emulator guys!

ShaunHolley.
Shooting stuff right in't face.

Co-host of http://tenpencearcade.co.uk
cmonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2014 at 11:09am
Due to the fact that they're TTL only it's likely that these earliest games will, ironically, be the ones that will last the longest, as there's no custom chips to die.  TTL chips will always be available, but once all the customs are gone the boards that they were married to are gone too (unless the customs have been reversed engineered and re-implemented in modern tech).

shaunholley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaunholley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2014 at 11:19am
I've got about as much tech knowledge as a creme egg so it's encouraging to know that accurate reverse engineering may be possible. But would anyone even bother? I hope so.
ShaunHolley.

Alpha1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Do the Shake and 'VAC

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpha1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2014 at 11:31am
I have Pong, Sub Hunter, Speed Race CL5, Western Gun, Secret Base and Bomber.

Backflipper and Cycle/urban_paranoia are big bronze age collectors.

I should probably get a nice Breakout/Super one day.

Edited by Alpha1 - 08 Mar 2014 at 4:29pm
Wanted: Time Traveller, GALAXIAN 3 THEATER, 80's Namco & Taito games

cmonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2014 at 11:33am
People bother for the very reason of keeping these old games, that we all cherish so dearly, alive!   People like jrok and fpgaarcade.com work hard at reverse engineering the working of many custom chips so that there's a solution for if and when they eventually die.  Thankfully their hard work isn't needed to keep TTL only boards alive.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaunholley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2014 at 12:05pm
It's good to know that there are collectors and that the games will live on. I know emulation is a poor substitute for the real thing, but from a gamer's point of view, I hope someday that all of these old Atari / Kee / Taito / Midway classics will be available to all through MAME or something. I bet they'd all fit in 1MB!
ShaunHolley.

Morty View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2014 at 4:27pm
I've got a few (computer space, pong, tank, Asteroid, Breakout, Superbug), they are the most basic games but its amazing what was produced using simple logic building blocks. And having black, white and an full range of shades of grey makes them even cooler Cool

Better an old TTL that some undocumented custom IC that keeps dying!

Edited by Morty - 08 Mar 2014 at 4:29pm
Wanted: Konami Track and Field / System 1 Roadrunner kit / Lottery Win.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaunholley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2014 at 5:05pm
Thank you Morty, I will definitely check out DICE. 
ShaunHolley.

Gio21stri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gio21stri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 2:28am
Originally posted by Alpha1 Alpha1 wrote:

I have Pong, Sub Hunter, Speed Race CL5, Western Gun, Secret Base and Bomber.

Backflipper and Cycle/urban_paranoia are big bronze age collectors.

I should probably get a nice Breakout/Super one day.

Is Bomber still working? i thought i was lost? people say its the first side scrolling video game (earlier that Defender)- bit no vids in internet
Retroman839 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Retroman839 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 5:39am
7 years later

yorkshire_spam View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yorkshire_spam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 9:03am
Since we are zombie'ing this thread....
I used to have one of these: https://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=7098
Anyone know what happened to it? Did it survive?

Alpha1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Do the Shake and 'VAC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpha1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 9:27am
Originally posted by Gio21stri Gio21stri wrote:

Bomber still working? i thought i was lost? people say its the first side scrolling video game (earlier that Defender)- bit no vids in internet

Yes. Alex has a video of it working on his gameroom tour video.

I also took it to one of the South Coast Slams as it came from Level42 and he drove it over for me as he was most awesome when I bought it from Europe.

Edited by Alpha1 - 23 Feb 2021 at 9:28am
Wanted: Time Traveller, GALAXIAN 3 THEATER, 80's Namco & Taito games

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic