Forum Home Forum Home > Arcade > General Arcade Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Are you in the money?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Are you in the money?
    Posted: 15 May 2019 at 7:44am
Always wondered how much money, people have spent on cabs and parts, or lost over the course of the hobby. Maybe you look back and think, I could have paid off my mortgage with that money.

Cabs, parts and restorations eat through cash like pacman, so what have you spent on your cabs?

Bods View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 8:16am
Spent a fortune on mine even though I started buying when prices low, couldn't afford the prices now, well I'd pay going prices for some machines like OutRun and Ninja Warriors

Never had a decent paid job without doing loads of overtime so selling a few things to pay for them I had to do

The biggest cost if getting the space sorted for the machines, spent 35k on the house extensions at least, did it the right way though, paid the mortgage, saved up to pay for extensions and bought a few machines in between, once I had the space for more I got the rest when they came up

f355 dlx, Initial D, Outrun dlx, Limited Hang-on, Star Wars alone have cost £6000 can probably add another £1000 on that just for parts on those cabs
WANTED! Buggy Boy Junior Rear Seat. Continental Circus Cockpit Lower Rear Light Plexi and more space
phillv85 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phillv85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 9:58am
I reckon my spend on arcade and console stuff over the last decade is well over £50k. I've got a bedroom floor to ceiling with console games, 5 arcade cabinets in the dining room and a loft full of spare parts and PCB's. It is somewhat out of hand, although the current price gouger era has stopped me buying any more. I've not really added much for the last two or three years. In fact I've mostly moved onto other hobbies.

On the flip side, if I was able to sell all my console and arcade stuff in one hit for max "going rate" I reckon I could clear my 6 figure mortgage. I don't want to though, I love having a room I fear may crash through my ceiling at some point because it's so full of stuff.
lix View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 10:01am
I'm certainly not swimming in money but I have managed to build a substantial collection of machines and boards, largely by being in the game for a while (early 90's), buying mostly stuff that is non-working and repairing it, and by not having a mortgage and a missus. Definitely a case of any money I have spare goes towards buying arcade stuff that I've always wanted, holidays and clothes and other expenses are well down the priority list.

Going from having one Atari Star Wars cab in 1995, to 17 machines including three Sega racing twin units a TC2 and a couple of pinball machines, so space is very much needed. I don't store them in an out of action condition, they are all accessible, plugged in and playable. Some of the machines I part own with my brother.

I rent an industrial unit in the city center for £650 a month for 2500sqft, which would be a lot of cost if it was just for the arcade machines, but I have a workshop with all my business production machinery (CNC router, drill presses, sanders, tools, etc) and use the mezzanine for storage of all my other crap (of which there is lots of).

While I don't particularly play the machines everyday I do have the occasional binge session, and even though the collection is probably worth a fair bit now I'm not parking cash in owning them. My intention is to have them all playable to the public soon, so they can bring some entertainment to people and start earning their keep in the process (which I've done a few times before on open-to-the-public days, always good fun seeing peoples reactions when they've never played these machines before).

As far as amounts spent on machines goes, the biggest purchases have been a working good condition Time Crisis 2 twin for £650, and a dead Sega Daytona twin for around the same. I got my Atari Star Wars upright for £150 back in the day, but that was totally dead and took over a year to fix, many many man hours but just the cost of a boardsets worth of logic chips.

The most expensive parts I've had to buy otherwise are Model 2 video boards! (which fortunately I've since managed to fix a few of those now too)

While I'm still not cash rich I would like to save for a more modern pinball, something popular and in good condition. I've got a few favourites that I'de like to track down but I'll certainly need some deep pockets now!
Bensonrad View Drop Down
STILL looking for an Outrun & Paperboy!

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bensonrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 8:20pm
Never been it for the money, but for me its always been a hobby that had to fund itself and not come out of family money.  I used to keep a spreadsheet, but not really bought anything for quite some time.  I think I sold a few console games and nick naks on ebay to get some seed money to start with, I eventually broke even after many years, so I guess if I was to sell the lot I have today I'd probably get some decent money which I'd then use to pay the mortgage or get a camper van.  My intention was always to buy the cabs I wanted as early as I could knowing I have zero time to do anything with them til the kids grow up and I get some free time to fix them, get them running, there is no way on earth I'd be able to afford any of them nowadays on the open market.  Thankfully I built my games chalet, which is serving as more of a storage stasis unit for them all, until I go and awaken them one day...a day that hopefully is getting much closer, this summer he says!, haha.
Wanted: Super Pacman Bezel, Millipede Euro inner Bezel. Small Cabaret Project Cab, Exterminator set up. Always after Millipede/Paperboy/Super Pacman/Outrun/Taito S.I PCBs
John Bennett View Drop Down

4 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

4 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 9:11pm
Just got boards and many were from the 90’s and/or broken, so spent well under £5k at a rough guess (which is still quite a lot for a pile of old circuit boards).
Nice to know they ended up an investment (unintentionally), but no sale
Besides, you could knock a chunk off the mortgage, but you’d never afford to buy them all back afterwards...

Edit: having said that, the increased value means there’s no chance of replacing them if they die irreparably too.

Edited by John Bennett - 15 May 2019 at 9:12pm
http://www.philwip.com -sibling 'fix-off' (I’m losing by miles).
robotech View Drop Down
User
User

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robotech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 10:22pm
Although i have always been a gamer
I started collecting / restoring arcade stuff way too late for any of it to be obtained cheaply
So i normally buy stuff that is broken or needs work
I have also only had a job with some expendable cash for the last few years
So proberbly could not afford the stuff even when it was cheaper years ago

Money is still quite tight which means i usually have to sell a cab to afford the next one
I like rescuing cabs that would otherwise be broken for spares

Hard to put a price on all of the tools spares and test equipment i have put into the hobbie(incase the wife ever reads this ) but enjoy tinkering with the bits more than i would the money invested

Edited by robotech - 15 May 2019 at 10:31pm
J69 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 10:59pm
I bought pinballs 1 in/1 out for about 10 years.

At various points I owned

2 x Addams
2 x Spiderman
Addams gold
Theatre of Magic
Tron
Metallica
Simpsons Pinball Party
Whitewater
Attack From Mars
Wizard of Oz
Tales of the Arabian Nights
Twilight Zone
Medieval Madness
Cirque Voltaire
Indiana Jones
Scared Stiff
Star Trek TNG
Iron Man
Creature from the Black Lagoon

All told I probably spent around £45k on them, although it was just the same £3 or 4k constantly reinvested. That lot would easily be worth £75k+ now.
strykr View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strykr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 12:36am
No... well out of pocket lol. Its been a fun ride though! And so glad i got back into the hobby when I did as id be lucky to afford a mame cab these days. 
Wanted - Electrocoin Wheels Runner Cabinet http://tinyurl.com/oq6dkau
Badlands & Champ sprint TG mame WR holder
Bods View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 7:27am
nearly everything I've bought apart from odd machines that were working but few by time you get home don't work or lasted a few months or the newer stuff, Initial D, F355 have all been cheap non working or Project machines and about 80% of the boards untested/nonworking or part working

Sooner get more for my money and learn how to repair for when it goes wrong

Money in the bank is waste of time these days so might as well enjoy it with this stuff than just looking at some figures on a computer
WANTED! Buggy Boy Junior Rear Seat. Continental Circus Cockpit Lower Rear Light Plexi and more space
Whymie View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whymie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 7:52am
Be nice to have the money to start collecting some Games!

I think I am a lot younger than most the people on here, so trying to get into this unless your rolling in the money seems impossible. I got my first cabinet about 10 years ago which was an atomiswave cab, only cost me about £400 at the time if I remember correctly. I was only about 17 at the time and loved every minute of it, regretted selling it but needs must when your trying to buy a house!

in the last couple of years ive had a bit of spare money so managed to afford a couple of dinosaur kings and converted them. But when you see games come up for silly money all the time, its just easier and more affordable to run off mame and a pandoras box.
i know some games are considered a 'good price' but things like golden axe costing £180 odd just seems mad to me!
Mr Bond View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Bond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 8:06am
Scary reading this is lol
DanP View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Whipcracker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 8:42am
Originally posted by Bensonrad Bensonrad wrote:

Never been it for the money, but for me its always been a hobby that had to fund itself and not come out of family money.  I used to keep a spreadsheet, but not really bought anything for quite some time.  I think I sold a few console games and nick naks on ebay to get some seed money to start with, I eventually broke even after many years, so I guess if I was to sell the lot I have today I'd probably get some decent money which I'd then use to pay the mortgage or get a camper van.  My intention was always to buy the cabs I wanted as early as I could knowing I have zero time to do anything with them til the kids grow up and I get some free time to fix them, get them running, there is no way on earth I'd be able to afford any of them nowadays on the open market.  Thankfully I built my games chalet, which is serving as more of a storage stasis unit for them all, until I go and awaken them one day...a day that hopefully is getting much closer, this summer he says!, haha.

This.   If it affects family, it doesn't get spent/done.  If it doesn't and I can afford it, it does.   Spent most of the last decade ticking over, just keeping the 20 odd cabs I've got running mainly.   It's a hobby that I indulge when I have time/money spare, that's all.
JohnnyChaos View Drop Down
User
User

Blows own trumpet for CHQ cabs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChaos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 11:26am
my net city and naomi chop have all increased in value, so has my initial D cab.
my CPS3, CPS2 and PGM stuff all seem to be worth more now.

Repair bills have gone down massively since getting the desiccant dehumidifier, probably cost me as much in electricity now, but haven't had a fault since getting it.

definitely wouldn't say I was in the money though. I've spent a lot over the years.. maybe if i'd kept my cave PCBs!

Sold Ibara on here for £240 when that was the going rate, asked the buyer offer it back to me if they ever decide to sell... they sold it on J+ a few months later :(
www.chaostattoos.co.uk
69er View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 12:22pm
what began as a side-line interest in the mid 70s (from a 50/60s regular arcade visit childhood) I initially just acquired cheap or broken items to tinker with and maybe self teach? ) I was then a farm manager with loads of storage space and time when I had to be around so could not go away days or holidays till about 1983...…. when I totally changed career and made my hobby/ side-line my business . I took on work with the biggest amusement company in the UK at the time.... as above its not really about money I drive a posh but quite old now car,  site damage/parts & renting some space is our biggest millstone but overall its been a good 40 odd years for me...…… 

my collecting began in the mid 70s and as I got the mercenary view of making a few bob from siting odd machines (pins and jukes) which I had got working or even managed to buy ok and fairly priced , things just snowballed as back then you could buy new or second hand but with rapid developments and the market trends EQUIPMENT VALUE BECAME VIRTUALLY ZERO in just a few years, black and white gave way to colour … dedicated gave way to jamma or other multi switch games (cartridge etc) then a big fall in value was marked by the introduction of HAND HELD or HOME CONSOLES Atari Nintendo and Sinclair Etc took away some video earning potential …   Thanks to enthusiasts and collectors some values were regained through the 1990s especially with the sought after games not available on home pcs …….BUT AS MENTIONED ABOVE NOT REALLY A CHEAP ALTERNATIVE just a bane of parents lives satisfying xmas and birthday gifts at some cost. (floor to ceiling cartridges I have seen many times) 

Tho I have been in the arcade and amusements business for over 4 decades now my interests are still hobby based too...……   I have several e/m pins one of which is still sited on 10p a go and I owned it since  1978 when it was only a few months old (made 1977) and its been both a home and site slave for the 42 years 
(that wasn't too expensive ? about a fifth of its current value ?  from 'Brighouse Games' in Yorkshire)
others I acquired in the eary 80s when ems were being cleared from big operators like Associated Leisure who were interested in tempting me on board as an engineer .. they sold me 2 trailer loads of e/m pinballs all as-is many ok at just £25 each wish back then I had took hundreds instead of about a dozen or so.

I still have my first 'working when bought' Juke box too a 1974 Jupiter l100 victory ..bought Nov 5th 1977 from Jimmy Broderick at a place called Star Warehouse Camden Lock London via the Exchange & Mart small ads for coin ops etc. he exported the old 1d all-wins flick-ball and Jukes etc.to the USA. and had floor upon floor of amazing old antique amusements of all types like fortune tellers and such..

That Juke cost £150 plus vat made it 172.50 (15% then)  I was so naïve I bought it not even thinking about it being on the 4th floor of a massive wharf building...…hung it from a winch by its neck and lowered it to the ground about 50ft below direct to a waiting trailer.  

got it to Euston and booked it Redstar parcels to Cheshire (big thanks to a guy called Clive who I think worked in the building somewhere? who helped get it across London that day on his trailer) I will  never forget him (proof) not even wrapped just as-is it went by rail took about 3 weeks as it remained on platform at Crewe till two+ men could lift it on one of their delivery trucks. not tail lift back then! ..  parcel fare was about 24 quid??  ITHINK I GOT MORE THAN MY MONEY BACK ON THIS in about a year in a local youth club.  STILL WORKS OK but not so loved as back then... We have a Wurlitzer vinyl and a Sound Leisure Cd jukes in the lounge (his & hers) just a few other odd things here and there round the house

Hobby has took a back seat due to my being at the controls of many thousands of pounds worth of games.. but I like to think my few losses are ell over balanced with gains on some I have traded on to new owners.

I must stress in the business I have occasionally spent more on one machine than some people spend in a decade our F-zero new was pricey as was our first Daytona twin and Sega Rally etc... I have had 4 Addams family pins in the past and ONE was new in box... as was a Lethal Weapon3 a Super Mario,  an Indiana jones and a Fishtales a Jurassic Park and two Twilight Zones when we had major pub sites to satisfy BRAND NEW PINS wow that was spending...… probably a couple depreciated more than income too? as it was not a long phase till they had to be sited in arcades &bowling alleys instead of big pubs.

not rich from it as a hobby or as a business WINFALL LEISURE whose jamma cabinets we made owed us thousands when he aborted his national siting business to avoid tax and debt chasers BUT STILL HAVE A GOOD SMALL SELECTION OF HOBBY ASSETS some quite rare some 'just loved' that's what its about.

sorry long read but nice to reminisce … another part of hobby whether its cost you a few pounds or many hundreds, I could chat about arcadia and any related subject as that's what hobby is. I even have a huge collection of foreign coins which entered our stuff over those years

Edited by 69er - 16 May 2019 at 12:23pm
undefeated arcade junk hoarder champion since 1977

IF YOU CHUCK IT AWAY YOU NEED IT THE NEXT DAY!!
new666uk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote new666uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 1:21pm
I'm nowhere near silly money with my console collection and solitary jamma cab (albeit with dozens of boards).

Out of interest, does anyone factor the cost of all their kit into their insurance?
Kriseric View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kriseric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 2:39pm

Wow 69er great story and details from you about the coin-op amusement business in the past. Working on machines back then, did you have the sense that someday they would be sought after items, or was it a business model where novelty was constantly desired?

bobbydilley View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobbydilley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 3:00pm
I'm only 21, so have only been collecting for about a year or two and am still in university so limited myself to only the arcade systems, rather than entire machines. I also keep really good track on how much I'm spending seeing as funds are quite limited.

I currently own (and the prices they cost all in to get them working):

Konami Viper £30
Galeco Power 3D £20
Sega Naomi + DIMM £140
Sega System SP £30
Type 3 Chihiro £300
Lindbergh £120

Type 3 I/O £30
Namco Recoil Gun £30
The House Of The Dead 3 Gun (no gun I/O) £10

and all in all I've probably spent about £700 on everything; its amazing what you can find on ebay when people don't understand what they've got LOL

I'd say I could probably sell them for a bit more than I paid, as apart from the Chihiro (which I paid £300 for) every else seemed cheaper than market price.
https://dilley.io/arcade
69er View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by Kriseric Kriseric wrote:

Wow 69er great story and details from you about the coin-op amusement business in the past. Working on machines back then, did you have the sense that someday they would be sought after items, or was it a business model where novelty was constantly desired?

a bit of both I loved to see the stuff in arcades and being a bit technical always wanted to know how they worked but early on never assumed a collector market might develop but when we got our first videos and had them at home sometimes we saw all our friends much more as they came to play on space invaders asteroids and breakout etc...…..  no stopping from that time onward late 70s MY INTEREST SPREADS OVER A FEW TYPES OF ARCADIA not just video and pinball but i don't collect fruit bandits unless older than 1970

Back in the 60s when I was around 13 or 14 my sister worked on Seldon's bingo in Rhyl she was a lot older than me  but it encouraged my mates and I to frequent the seafront arcades

new machines appearing (to me they seemed new) at that time were things like Williams 'Magic City' pinball became a favourite at 3d old pence per game LATER ON into the 70s I got one & have had 3 in total and still have one of those,,,,, nostalgic easy to achieve special with 9 letter targets and a central star for 'special' when lit then Doozie with Zipper flippers closed together on a target and opened on another was a centre no lose of the ball and when let rest hitting both flips directed the ball to a high value target …….. Never owned one but my MOT garage got one a few years ago and asked me get it running as it was very tired...……….  free MoT s for a while followed 

also in the 60s I was whizz at the Tooty Fruity insert large brittania penny in one of 4 slots at top and the coin bounced down lighting a fruit line if it entered the symbol..  spinning the coin I could aim and lite most lines at 50/50 chance so often came away a few pence better and spent it on Magic City usually OTHER >>bet now >>>> don't bet>> sequence machines popped up all over too and regular playing got to know the sequences sometimes randomised tho and lost my pennies …  IT WAS ALWAYS GREAT TO FIND A WHEEL 'EM IN between the lines top undone as we used to lift them and place a penny on the 6d WIN LINE till we got caught odd times  (mis-spent youth days) I have a BRENCO wheel of fortune arrow BET NOW machine in my workshop needed a final repair job for 25-30 years (ouch) untouched needs arrow drive motor/cog and a repair of the screen print "wheel of fortune" top glass now too...…. a few members on here have visited my Aladdin's cave of a workshop that I have here at home theres probably 30-40 items hidden under the junk in there

I have one of those TOOTY FRUITY machines too near our front door.. postmen and visitors are amazed it survives I was lucky enough to take over the Lyons holiday camp arcade around 1980 a summer sideline with a friend and there was 3 slightly newer 1971 versions on new decimal 1p 2p and big10p  I have kept the 1p one ever since...……..  I also had the 10p one a while in another arcade but sold it on. we got about half a room full of machines with the deal to run it .. I was just married about 2-3 years so wife and I staffed it weekends and my colleague also ran it most other days including odd Saturdays together when busy.then he got offered Sunnyvale holiday camp to run too, for 30+ years  Sadly he died at Christmas last year and was the inventor of the dancing puppet theatre machine we made (wife and I made the puppets like Pelham ones) in Glendale chicken/egg cabinets.. approx. 540 sets made by '90s

he and I joined forces with the guy who began Amazon in 1982 the 'amazon'/'winfall' hypno cabs (are always on ebay) to run several seaside arcades in the 80s and the 3 of us went on to manufacture jamma pedestal cabs 1987-1999, and Amazon leisure still survives only me left as other guy died 2010 but his son runs pub ops and sales now

I AM TRYING TO RETIRE BUT HOBBY BACKGROUND TAKES OVER and I must see machines working not broken down …….. in the arcade we run now we have a few video games but they are the ones fail most often along with motors on some games but kids today wreck everything given half a chance , I just go in 2-3 days a week do empty of coins and fix stuff (if I can) tho some repairs get farmed out ( thanks to Giz10p craig who presently has our ghost squad I/o and PC …  and 'gunblade' who sometimes gets a monitor to sort out and many other supporting companies in the trade)

this week we had a repeat button smashed off the xfactor crane also a spot light smashed off the bigfoot monster truck kiddie ride and an LEDexhaust pipe pulled out of one of the fast n furious superbikes ( temporarily bodged with a lastic mister muscle bleach canto fill the hole it leaves till we get one …..  its only a few weeks since another FnF bike across the road we have in a pub got broke off its base completely too many riders banked it over and it snapped off … had to weld it up again.. but did not cost more than a couple of electro-rods...… 

undefeated arcade junk hoarder champion since 1977

IF YOU CHUCK IT AWAY YOU NEED IT THE NEXT DAY!!
Alpha1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Do the Shake and 'VAC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpha1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 6:27pm
Love your stories 69er - would love to hear more!
Wanted: Time Traveller, GALAXIAN 3 THEATER, 80's Namco & Taito games

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic