Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Artwork and Restorations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

ATARI Asteroids Deluxe restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 8:56pm
There was a few TNT Amusements stickers on the boards inside, suggesting they had done some work on these in 2013 (on reflection I'm not so sure their service was as comprehensive as the stickers suggested!)

Deflection boards and HV cage on monitor

Edited by namfreak - 22 Sep 2020 at 8:57pm
namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 8:59pm
Power Brick. Maybe the big Blue had been changed judging by the sticker

namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 9:00pm
Main logic board with Braze multigame kit installed

namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 9:02pm
Nice back door sheet has survived well

namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 9:04pm
Control panel hinged down to expose monitor tube mounted vertically. Quite alot of sticky greasy gunge around the anode cap and anode lead

namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 9:07pm
Coin counters had been removed at some point. Bit of a shame, it would have been nice to know how much this was played. Other than coming from a small amusement machine reseller in Windham, Maine USA, they could only tell me they had purchased it from a private collector that had it in his home for 20 years.

namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 9:10pm
I removed the monitor bezel to inspect the two way mirror and cardboard backgrounds

The mirrors always get dirty over the years which in turn deteriorate picture quality, so I gave it a wipe over

The cardboard background and surround, being very fragile, tend to suffer with age too - splits, tears and creases due to sag and perhaps the monitor being removed a few times for repair and servicing

namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 8:51pm
So I was able to enjoy playing the machine for about 5 months before the monitor died. Game played blind, CRT heater glowed but spot killer LED off

After some posting on here of the symptoms it seemed the consensus was the frame mounted transistors may be the culprit. Not knowing much about the vector monitors at that stage I removed the monitor complete and took it to Equites (Nad) in Warrington for a going over

Gave me the opportunity to clean the tube up a little, this darker area on left and right of tube was not inside on the phosphor, it was gunge dried on the face of the glass tube!

namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 8:57pm
Since taking delivery of the machine I had started to obtain some spare parts for the machine like AR boards, replacement electronic components, spare PCB and some of the reproduction parts I would eventually need for the restoration.

One of my purchases was the excellent repro cardboard background from Phoenix Arcade

namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 9:07pm
The Arcade Renovations background is absolutely awesome, and hats's off to them for reproducing this very easily damaged original part

From what I hear there was no original film to print from, they had to commission an artist to copy as best he could the original artwork

I had heard there were two variations of the background originally, green and orange. So having either would be correct - yet there is something about the green background with the blue vectors that just seems better matched in my opinion.

I thought I would try and retain, restore and repair the original green background, and keep the orange repro as a spare for the future

namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 9:16pm
So after careful removal of the monitor surround cardboard I gave it a damp wipe and removed the blue gel for cleaning

This had the some gunk on it as the monitor tube face and so it cleaned up with DeSolvIt Sticky Stuff Remover followed by a plastic polish with Novus 1 and 2

Folds in the cardboard were reinforced and repaired with black duct tape and trimmed to shape

Blue gel refitted with fresh masking tape

namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 9:21pm
I had learnt of a matt black paper tape, which seemed ideal for repairing the tears and staple holes in the cardboard

And as you can see it was pretty good at repairing a large tear yet retaining the matt black look to the background - anything glossier like electrical insulation tape would have just looked rubbish

Mark H View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 10:25am
Looks really great Thumbs Up
"The Future Is Now"
namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 8:11pm
There were creases in the cardboard background and monitor surround at it's naturalm folds, and where it had been damaged in the past - where the matt black finish had also cracked and showed the card underneath

This could be seen even with the lights off during gameplay

namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 8:15pm
I was able to touch this in using Tamiya XF-1 Flat Black paint and a tiny modellers brush. I was very careful to ensure only the crease was painted, and minimised the paint that got onmto the perfectly good background.

I also ensured I didn't paint over any of the flourescent starfield / asteroids artwork!

namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 8:28pm
Over a year went past and I was enjoying playing the game as it was, but collecting parts for the restoration

During Spring 2020, with the country in full Covid 19 lockdown, I saw an opportunity to get the restoration done.

I was lucky enough to still be working full time, but with all the car shows I would usually attend in the summer months cancelled - I saw an opportunity to use the quiet summer to start the restoration

I started by taking key measurements of the various features on the side art and their position to the sides of the cabinet (e.g planets, spaceship) which would help me position the replacement side art

The existing side art had been well touched in, but revealed it's defects on closer inspection

namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 8:31pm
The white paint used to touch up the cabinet sides where the edges had peeled off was also helping to hold the loose edges down!

namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 8:36pm
I was able to salvage enough detail from the serial number sticker for Etienne Op den Kelder in the Netherlands to make a  foil replacement

namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 8:37pm
Can only guess this was an operators inventory number on this aluminium plate on the back

namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 8:39pm
Condition of rear panels - various minor damage

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic