Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Artwork and Restorations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

ATARI Asteroids Deluxe restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 8:40pm
Note the 3 different types of T moulding on the back!

namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 8:43pm
Removed all components and carefully boxed up and stored

Removed T moulding until I was left with a bare shell

namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 8:48pm
I had purchased the Arcade Renovations replacement side art - made from the original Atari films - and the quality appeared identical to the original

I had no regrets pulling off the original side art!

namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 8:51pm
In all the cabs I've worked on I think this was the easiest side art to remove - adhesive was so dried out and the artwork came off in huge sheets

Last photo below shows side art all removed. The white areas are paint! To conceal the amount of artwork that had been lost!

Edited by namfreak - 03 Oct 2020 at 8:53pm
namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2020 at 8:57pm
Masked up the back door sheet i readiness for sanding / painting of the back door

namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2020 at 8:59pm
Speaker grille is secured with pop rivets.
Only way to get those out was to drill out.

namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2020 at 9:05pm
So it looks like the cab had received some filling in the past - evidence of grey / blue body filler in a few places. These repairs had been roughly sanded down and painted over to conceal them

What intrigued me was 4 holes in both sides roughly along the top of the coin door. Perhaps a locking bar had been installed over the coin door in the past? These holes went all the way through to the inside of the cabinet

namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2020 at 9:09pm
I started restoring the side panels by making up a 50 / 50 solution of water and PVA glue. I then liberally painted this onto the cabinet edges and any large gouges. After allowing to dry overnight this should stabilise the edges of the particle board

namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2020 at 9:13pm
Then to apply "Isopon P38" car body filler to the larger repair areas

namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2020 at 9:16pm
And after sanding with 120 grit sandpaper...

Baiterhater View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baiterhater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2020 at 9:40pm
Looking good mate !!!

J

namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 7:48pm
And same process repeated on left hand side
Finer imperfections were filled with Polyfilla from a tube. Nice smooth consistency that fills most small defects, dried quickly  and sands really easily

namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 7:51pm
Now to turn my attention to the cabinet top / back

The bottom rear panel wasn't painted but covered in a thin self adhesive vinyl. As per the side art this was virtually falling off as the adhesive was so dried out

namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 7:53pm
Filling and sanding of cabinet top / back

namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 7:57pm
Also filled some redundant holes on the inner face of the cab, the locking bar holes and where some P clips had bee secured for no apparent reason

I would cover this "damage" with self adhesive vinyl later..........

namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 8:00pm
I then masked up the cab ready for spray painting the top and back to avoid overspray making unintended marks

namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 8:04pm
The spray I have been using for the last 16 years on cabinet restorations, which achieves the effect I'm after is Halfords grey primer followed by Halfords Satin Black

Masked up the underside of the cabinet floor rails and painted the cabinet bottom first...

namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 8:05pm
The onto the upper rear panels and cabinet top

namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 8:09pm
And the restored back door. My bit of masking ensured that precious back door sheet didn't get damaged in the filling, sanding and painting process

namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 8:17pm
The cabinet insides that are visible through the bezel had been painted quite thinly originally an some of the chipboard was showing through

I flattened the surface, minor filling where required and masked up the surrounding areas 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic