Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Artwork and Restorations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

ATARI Asteroids Deluxe restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ATARI Asteroids Deluxe restoration
    Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 8:29pm

I purchased this Atari Asteroids Deluxe upright from US ebay back in Spring 2018

I was reconfiguring my collection of cabs - letting a few cabs go which funded this purchase.

I really fancied an "older" game, particularly a vector, and after doing some research, an Asteroids Deluxe with it's blacklit background just has that wow factor

These are some of the ebay listing photos

Edited by namfreak - 21 Sep 2020 at 8:30pm
namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 8:34pm
namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 8:40pm
What this machine had going for it, in my opinion was:
  • It was advertised as working
  • It had the Braze multigame kit installed, which means I could play Asteroids Deluxe, Asteroids and Lunar lander in the same cabinet - very important for those of us wishing to maximise the play value from the same size real estate!
  • It has been through TNT Amusements workshop in recent years and had received a light restoration and service
  • The seller was in Maine, USA and was willing to ship to the UK
It was avertised at just a shade shy of $1700 which converted to around £1100. A pretty good deal i thought

Seller was willing to crate it up and ship it for me for a small fee

Edited by namfreak - 22 Sep 2020 at 8:31pm
namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 8:46pm
The sale was in April 2018. Seller did an excellent job of packing it and building a crate around it on a pallett for shipping

Edited by namfreak - 21 Sep 2020 at 8:47pm
namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 8:48pm

Edited by namfreak - 22 Sep 2020 at 8:29pm
namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 8:56pm
So in late July it finally arrived. Courier dropped off the pallet on the pavement outside the house

Thankfully no visible damage to crate

namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 9:02pm
I had to disassemble the crate that had been built around the game on the pavement. The intention being to sack barrow it into the garage.

First panel off, and it all looks OK

namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 9:04pm
3 side of the crate off and all looking OK

So pleased with the effort the seller put into the shipping. Strapped to pallet, blocking around base....

Edited by namfreak - 22 Sep 2020 at 8:30pm
namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 9:06pm
All timber protection removed and off pallett

namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 9:08pm
Then carefully wheeled into the garage for unwrapping

namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 9:11pm
This was like unwrapping a Christmas present as a kid. The one you'd been pestering your folks for for months. You knew what was inside but wanted to savour every moment of exposing it's glory from the wrapping

namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 9:15pm
The back door had been screwed shut as (like most original machines the back door keys had long gone) After a cursory check inside to make nothing had been dislodged in shipping and all connections were intact:

It works!

Spaceman25 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spaceman25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 9:17pm
fantastic looking machine!! Great condition too!!
namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 9:19pm
Having never owned an Atari machine before, and never a vector, my intention was to learn about this machine for a while.

Check voltages, learn if anything had been altered or messed around with on this one, start to build up a few spares....

First thing to allow it into the gamesroom was to ditch those awful leg levellers

Edited by namfreak - 22 Sep 2020 at 8:30pm
namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 9:24pm
And then to install my obligatory "floor rails". These are 50 x 18mm softwood countersunk screwed to the base of all my cabinets, and then felt furniture pads applied to the rails

This allows me to slide them easily on a tiled gamesroom floor

Bensonrad View Drop Down
STILL looking for an Outrun & Paperboy!

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bensonrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 9:12am
Looks awesome, an Asty Deluxe (cabaret) is the one cab I have left on my want list, but I do love the full size version.   The packing of that cab to get it here is really first class, treated with respect.
Wanted: ASTEROIDS CABARET or ASTEROIDS DELUXE CABARET, also looking for a Super Pacman Bezel, a Euro Millipede inner Bezel.
muddymusic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Repro Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 10:00am
Repro + NOS Artwork & Sega parts supplier, pm me or visit http://arcadeartshop.com
philmurr View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philmurr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 10:12am
Originally posted by namfreak namfreak wrote:

And then to install my obligatory "floor rails". These are 50 x 18mm softwood countersunk screwed to the base of all my cabinets, and then felt furniture pads applied to the rails

This allows me to slide them easily on a tiled gamesroom floor

What a good idea.  I'm going to steal that Thumbs Up
namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 8:37pm
So the cab then joined my small line up in the gamesroom

namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 8:43pm
Looking over the cabinet, I noted the previous attempts by either previous owner or TNT Amusements to smarten the cab up:

Original black T moulding had been changed for a blue. Only applied to front face though! The back still had 2 different types of black!

The control panel had a really cheap repro overlay. The decal was the coloured section only - it didn't extend to top and bottom or even edge to edge!

The speaker panel above the bezel, play area panels either side of the bezel, kick plate and coin door had been spray painted over - and badly! Orange peel effect and paint runs

the side art was lifting and peeling from the edges. In farness a reasonable job had been done of touching it in, and the paint was holding the art down on the edges

The blacklit effect is absolutely awesome, and wows anyone who seems this machine. For those that don't know it's a very simple, yet effective illusion of depth that goes way back to the old rifle range games

The black and white monitor is mounted vertically and displays it's image reversed. It shines through a blue acetate on the monitor surround to make the white vector image look blue (similar to the colour overlays on Space Invaders etc)This reflects off a 2 way mirror mounted at 45 degrees to the monitor

Behind the mirror is a printed cardboard background with rocks and space ship cut outs mounted on stand offs to make them look 3D. The background has an Asteroids field and a starfield on it in florescent ink that glows when lit by a blacklight bulb, shining backwards behind the marquee tube.

The monitor surround has a florescent starfield printed on it too - so as you look through the bezel it's quite an "immersive" environment.

Add all that together and it looks like the blue vector graphics are floating in space. A very clever effect achieved by very simple means

Edited by namfreak - 22 Sep 2020 at 8:53pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic