ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Tech, Maintenance & Repairs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Atari System 2 PCB Repair - Paperboy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Purity View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by Ace` Ace` wrote:

What about the S157 @ 4E/F? 'Playfield' is pretty vague but maybe it's a layer missing rather than a colour issue?

I was thinking this myself.  Not looked at the scroll registers yet
Purity View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by Purity Purity wrote:

Bah, i have a communications failure now with the 6502

Swapped to anothercpu board and get the same thing

Any experience with this issue?

This seems to be caused by faulty roms or sockets @ 2A-2C on the CPU board.  I have managed to get a CPU board working with this error by dealing with these issues
Purity View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Purity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 7:37pm
So I fixed the colour issue on my PCB.  The gradient of colour was not visible.  This turned out to be a fault with the Q2/Q3 transistors in the colour intensity section

Definately got issues in the sound section that I need to take a look at next
yorkshire_spam View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yorkshire_spam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 7:39pm
Great progress! (Fancy fixing mine? ;-) )
smarty View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smarty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 7:42pm
Good job Ben, keep at it and you’ll get the last pesky faults fixed! Is this for your own cab?
jumpnfire.com

MOST WANTED CABS:
Atari Return of the Jedi upright.
Atari Pole Position euro cab.
Purity View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Purity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 7:47pm
I'm fixing a boardset up for myself, and I have a Champ Sprint and Paperboy set that I'm looking at for Strykr (Rich)

These boards are a pain in the arse!

Edited by Purity - 20 Jan 2019 at 7:47pm
Purity View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by yorkshire_spam yorkshire_spam wrote:

You are better at fixing boards than i am dude
stegrey View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stegrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 8:58pm
Nice one! Please stop Teasing me with paperboy

Edited by stegrey - 20 Jan 2019 at 8:59pm

User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yorkshire_spam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 9:04pm

Very kind, but not true. Thanks anyway!
Purity View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 9:16pm

I can certainly try and help you with the boards once I get this other pile out the way if your stuck?
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yorkshire_spam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 9:18pm

I can certainly try and help you with the boards once I get this other pile out the way if your stuck?
Much appreciated.... but it's gonna be a long while before I get to mine. I have Missile Command, Crystal Castles, Battlezone, Star Wars and Asteroids to sort before I get to the System 2 stuff.
Bensonrad View Drop Down
STILL looking for an Outrun & Paperboy!

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bensonrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 11:01pm
Great work Ben
Wanted: Super Pacman Bezel, Millipede Euro inner Bezel. Small Cabaret Project Cab, Exterminator set up. Always after Millipede/Paperboy/Super Pacman/Outrun/Taito S.I PCBs
strykr View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strykr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 11:45pm

I'm fixing a boardset up for myself, and I have a Champ Sprint and Paperboy set that I'm looking at for Strykr (Rich)

These boards are a pain in the arse!

And doing an amazing job so far! 
Wanted - Electrocoin Wheels Runner Cabinet http://tinyurl.com/oq6dkau
Badlands & Champ sprint TG mame WR holder
Shinydaz View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shinydaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2019 at 1:07am
Great work Ben !
Out of room but always room for one more !
Del Griffith View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Del Griffith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2019 at 9:17am
A great thread and well done for even tackling these boards, massive things!!
Wanted street fighter 1 electrocoin cab
RaveN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RaveN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2019 at 12:32am
Yep, a 10minute fix or a 48 hour fix!
Praise the gods for the self test feature.
On my video boards I've found the transistors a fairly common failure, and often there's two that have failed.
Welcome to bonus stage.
Purity View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2019 at 9:45am
Originally posted by RaveN RaveN wrote:

Yep, a 10minute fix or a 48 hour fix!
Praise the gods for the self test feature.
On my video boards I've found the transistors a fairly common failure, and often there's two that have failed.

Yup, the next video board I'm looking at looks like it has both the green and blue transistor failures, so possibly 4 transistor failures
Purity View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 3:52pm

Yup, the next video board I'm looking at looks like it has both the green and blue transistor failures, so possibly 4 transistor failures

So I've been looking at Rich's Paperboy video board and this was my startng point (after replacing a faulty rom):

(Blue actually looks Purple on screen but blue on camera!)

I checked the transistors in the blue, green and intensity section and found no issues, so I was a bit stumped as I was sure this was a straighforward colour problem. The resistors also checked out ok.

So I thought I would independently check the colours to see what was what.

All the solid colours checked out ok, on each output, but I noticed that both red and green are broken on the intensity section, when looking at them independently. Blue is fine.

Also when all the colours are combined blue, and green show incorrect colours, but red is ok

So as the problem seems to be shared by red and green I thought I would check to see which chips it might use for both

I came up with 12L and possibly 13K thinking one of these must be at fault, but found no issues with those on a logic probe and piggy backing them.

So I started tracking backawards looking at the independent colours R0-3, G0-3, B0-3 on the 374's @ 12K and 13H

I initially found no issues with those using a logic probe so dug out my scope and starting looking at the signals.

What I noticed was that R0-R3 had a very weak signal, so I tracked that back further to CRD12-15 on the 374 @ 12J, and then back to the color ram addressing and data buffers.

I checked pins 11-14 on the 2149 @ 11H and found the same issues, and then tracked back further to the 244 buffer @ 10H and found that this chip had a decent input from the playfield section but had no output at this buffer as you can see below:

Input:

Output:

So I piggybacked a 244 @ 10H hoping this would resolve the issue but sadly not - I know piggybacking buffers generally does not work

The good thing is I could clearly see an issue, so I thought I would also try and piggyback the 2149  colour ram @ 11H to see if this was affecting the buffer output rather than the buffer being faulty. 

and voila.....colours corrected!

Edited by Purity - 02 Feb 2019 at 3:56pm
Purity View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 3:36pm
Unfortunately changing the colour ram only fixed half of the issues.  The intensity section was still broken and the in-game colours were wrong....but looking better!

So this made me think that *potentially* other colour rams wre faulty, so I started to look at them and found that 11J next to the faulty ram also had weak signals, so I decided to replace both

2149 ram is really expensive and looks like it is hard to get hold of so I thought I'd try some 2148-45 in replace of the 2149-2's

I was please to see that on power up the video board looked to be 100% fixed.  Both in-game colours were correct, and the video intensity check looked right Big smile

Edited by Purity - 03 Feb 2019 at 3:37pm
Layer View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 4:10pm
Indeed, old RAM became expensive, rare, and I don't know where to find RAM in the next few years. Confused

Btw, it is a nicely done repair !

Edited by Layer - 03 Feb 2019 at 4:11pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic