ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Pinball > Technical
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Cabs in storage - not working

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RetropiVin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cabs in storage - not working
    Posted: 12 Dec 2019 at 11:46pm
I was talking to a friend that has a few cabs. They were working when put away but after about 10 years in storage they are not working. I am assuming the issue is the crt's. If it is them, would this likely be a recap project? if so is it difficult as a diy job. Note, I know there is a high voltage issue and will have to take advise on how to manage this.

Edited by RetropiVin - 12 Dec 2019 at 11:47pm
J69 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2019 at 11:50pm
If they've been in storage for 10 years it could be anything. Dodgy PSU's, batteries died on the PCBs etc.
SUPERSPRINT View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SUPERSPRINT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2019 at 11:52pm
Disconnect all pcbs at least, and test voltages, those are your expensive parts to replace.
neoretro View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neoretro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2019 at 11:53pm
Depending on the value of the cabs, it’s not something I’d go playing about with.

Try and compartmentalise you’re issue. Have you got a SuperGun or a cab that’s working?

If so, take the boards out and test them and see if they work. If they do. Keep them to one side and get a cheap substitute board in there to test. Making sure your pinouts are the same.

You can disconnect your monitor via the molex and test your power supply voltages at the molex outputs to see if you’re getting the correct voltages.

If that’s alright then get it all connected and check your monitor for output. Take picture and post them on here for diagnoses

What I would say is it’s probably the absolute worst time you could be firing up cabs that haven’t seen the light of day for a few years. Very cold old cabs pumping electricity through them for the first time in a while is likely to to crack solder and give you other issues.

Monitor stuff, get pics, diagnose, send to Gunblade. If it costs you £100 a chassis it’s money well spend depending on the cab.
RetropiVin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RetropiVin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 8:51am
The cabs are generic type ones - I think with cheap boards and I dont have a supergun, I can do a bench test.

I will see how I get on but given that they are generic it might be easier to replace monitor if required.

Thanks guys.
urbanledge View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote urbanledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 9:40am
get the monitors repaired.
its no big deal (usually) 
Bods View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 10:21am
It depends where they are stored first, if it's some old damp barn then could be trouble but if there somewhere dry at least probably not much wrong

I've had machines that people haven't tested in years just been stored and they fired up straight off and working perfect, if they are somewhere cold need to get them in warm for 24hour before doing anything
WANTED! Buggy Boy Junior Rear Seat. Continental Circus Cockpit Lower Rear Light Plexi and more space
TheDaddy View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 10:52am
Yeh its a matter of Visual inspection first realy and then firing things up separately to see whats what. Not always easy when they have been stored for 10 years. I doubt they will fire up, but depending on the condition I suppose.

Dave.

AKA Wonderboy.
richmal View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richmal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2019 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by Bods Bods wrote:

It depends where they are stored first, if it's some old damp barn then could be trouble but if there somewhere dry at least probably not much wrong

I've had machines that people haven't tested in years just been stored and they fired up straight off and working perfect, if they are somewhere cold need to get them in warm for 24hour before doing anything

^ This

Storage places are bound to be damp and cold so I would do as Bods says above.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic