Forum Home Forum Home > Arcade > General Arcade Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Cabs new or old?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote retro passion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cabs new or old?
    Posted: 08 Oct 2018 at 9:04am
Hi all bit torn here as my name suggests I love all things retro suppose it's growing up in the 80's nostalgia etc... I got an opportunity as near to myself I have a guy selling a neo geo 6 slot cracking condition few things need doing el lights.

On the other hand someone selling a clone neo geo 29 brand new condition both will be used for neo so question is it the branded older woody or metal plastic clone?

So what I'm asking you guys which you think the one to go for?
phillv85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phillv85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2018 at 9:08am
If it's an LS Sound 25-29 that's for sale, you need to factor in durability. If you have kids or other family members who will be rough with then there's a chance it's going to break. The control panel on those things is the most flimsy of any cab I've ever come across. If it's just for you however, then I'd prefer a sitdown, but it's personal preference.

Edited by phillv85 - 08 Oct 2018 at 9:09am
jonhughes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhughes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2018 at 9:12am
It's hard to say (your details are very vague) - I don't know how much you paid for one versus the other. If you're paying £2000 for the original and £200 for the repro and they're basically doing the same job, you have to ask yourself how much do I want to spend?

On the other hand if the cost is the same, know that your original will have greater appeal, be authentic and hold it's value. With that in mind though comes reliability and condition. Will it look good or is it a wreck?

The new one may be customised to your liking, although it may only appeal to you and it more than likely be more reliable but less authentic. Will it have an LCD in it for example?

I'd always go for authentic if it was on the table - but I'm also prepared to accept the short comings that go with it and undertake my own repairs when necessary.
retro passion View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote retro passion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2018 at 9:56am
Thanks for the reply Phil and Jon it's mainly for me the kids have a little tft thing keeps them off my stuff ?? both have authentic screens there is a collectability value with the neo geo over the neo clone but like u say build quality ain't always top notch but one is sit down the other ain't here's 2 pics I took off Google what I'm looking at
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote retro passion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2018 at 10:01am
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote retro passion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2018 at 10:02am
Exactly the same cabs and roughly same condition
tin View Drop Down

2 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

2 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2018 at 10:26am
Both.

This is your crew chief // Yeah, the course is really tough // But it's a beautiful day // So good luck!
phillv85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phillv85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2018 at 10:29am
If you're not worried about the build quality, then I'd just go for the one that you prefer playing at. Personally I'm a sit down fan (I have 4 candy cabs and 1 woody), I find I'm a little too tall to stand at most woody cabs. Candy cabs are also easier to shift around unless you have narrow doors or stairways.
bjt42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bjt42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2018 at 10:44am
The original all day for me. Maximum nostalgia value
cosine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cosine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2018 at 10:48am
I have one of those NeoGeo, and a few candy cabs, and I like both. Like Phil said, candies are great if your doors are wide enough, though personally I would hang around for a Japanese machine, the Chinese clones aren't the best, build-quality wise.
You'll get the NeoGeo through just about any door, but having owned one for a few years now, I can categorically say it's an awkward, heavy b'stard. LOL Most of the weight is in the middle of the cab, and you can't see where you're going when moving it unless you're 7ft tall. It does have castor wheels at the back, but they're not really designed for the cabs weight, mine were knackered from the day I bought it.

Edited by cosine - 08 Oct 2018 at 10:48am
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my sanity the most.
J69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2018 at 10:48am
If it's the one on ebay for £999 it's overpriced
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote retro passion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2018 at 10:55am
Bloody hell Phil you must be a tall guy to be to tall for most stand up cabs lol no j69 it's not that overpriced ebay cab I have seen that aren't most things on ebay overpriced I'm sure if that were on here it wouldnt get a sale at that price good nick though.

Like to add though most candy cabs including the ls sound I've been offered the control panel unbolts off so should go through any door sideways.

Edited by retro passion - 08 Oct 2018 at 10:58am
robotech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robotech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 2:05am
I had one of those neo geo cabs and miss it
Exactly the same as the one i used to pile money into as a youth
So the nostalga was there

But i prefer to sit down when playing now
So i play my neo geo games on my chopped naomi
I dont think the games look quite right on the 29 inch screen
As i got used to the smaller screen in the neo geo cab
And as others have said those chinese cabs are well flimsy

Either go for the neo geo or save for a net or blast city
Or one of the quality candy cabs
were meeting g over there
bomjac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bomjac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 3:58am
I'd say go with the candy. Personally I find the neo-geos to be fugly as sin.

As to height - most cabs were designed with a teenage kid in mind - hence the reason most cabs are a little small for us (now) adults, in our fifth decade.

Edited by bomjac - 11 Oct 2018 at 4:02am
Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 11:57am
Oh mi back! Big smile Yeah sitting is the new smoking. And seeing as I can't be cool smokin' wiv mi mates down the arcade, I'll be cool sitting moaning about my arthritis in my cold games room instead!

I only played woodies back in real arcades. I may have played an early Megalo style cab, but it wasn't until the Trocadero that I saw anything candy-cab related.
But everything I have now is exactly that. I love the classic 80's artwork, but haven't yet bought anything chipboard or ply for the home. A mid 80's sega dedicated would change that though Wink

Wanted: Outrun DLX cab, Rainbow Islands, Rolling Thunder, Original Wonderboy PCBs.
- Parts needed: Naomi wheels, coin mech metal clip for Dino King Door
Brettster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brettster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 12:27pm
I've had both
kept my candies though :)

you may also need a step down transformer for the Candy cab.
overall I'm a candy fan, usually have better sticks and buttons for fighting games, and more comfortable for extended play sessions

Looking for More Space!!
Wurstkopp View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wurstkopp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 12:33pm
Personally I prefer to play my favourite games on the dedicated woodies but if space (and maybe money) is limited then a japanese Sega candy is the way to go. Most Taito, SNK or Jaleco candies will set you back 2000+ nowadays so I'd look for an Aero or Astro City which can be found for around 700-800 or a Blast or (New) Net City (both around 900-1000) if a dependable trisync screen is needed.

Edited by Wurstkopp - 11 Oct 2018 at 12:34pm
Robotron, Smash TV, Final Fight, Street Fighter 2, Donkey Kong, Red Tent, Galaga 88, Centipede cabaret, SNK MVS-U4, Taito MT-8
bbz149 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbz149 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 12:45pm
IMO, yeah that Neo-Geo is an ugly Cab!! Thumbs Down Much prefer the Lordsvale Cab any day!

grobda View Drop Down
"Look at the size of that thing!"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grobda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 3:53pm
had both kept the woodies. the washing machine and fridge cover my white goods needs. ;p
sporadically obsessed with this sh*t
Zipper View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 5:18pm
similarly, my Welsh dresser gives me my forest-based, organic fix. So I moved on my woodie.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic