ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Arcade > General Arcade Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Cabs new or old?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evoga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2018 at 7:22pm
Someone on arcade otaku marketplace is importing a container load of candies and it includes a few new neo geos. I would purchase from him as it’s an original Japanese candy not a Chinese close.
thegreathopper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thegreathopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2018 at 7:49pm
As above get a proper cabinet, the LS cabs are very poorly built. But out of the clone and the woody, get the woody it’s a great bit of kit.
penrhos View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penrhos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2018 at 11:11pm
Depends what you're playing and how much space / cash you have.

High-res games/MAME then a modern cab with an LCD screen is fine,

Modern low/medium res games then a Candy or a large screen woodie works well.

Old school games - it's got to be a small CRT screen in a woodie - Galaxians looks crap on anything bigger than 25" and so do a lot of the old games and don't even think of using an LCD for them as the up-scaling is horrible.

You can't beat a Lordsvale for perfection for MVS games (but as you can't TATE the screen and only having 4 buttons it stops it being perfect).

I'm burning a whole load of cash over Xmas on a pair of Vewlix for my High-res fix, but I'm keeping one of my JAMMA cabs for the older stuff and also getting a tri-sync candy to cover the rest of the bases. My Driving cab is LCD but that was due to a space/weight issue (and it was cheap).

The best cab is the one you play on the most regardless of what it is....
Ex_Mosquito View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ex_Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2018 at 3:17pm
+1 for a proper Japanese-made cab. The Astro City is particularly robust and made of really thick plastic with a hard coating, I’m not sure exactly what it is but it’s super strong, way more than the later thin Blast city panel. Lucky for me because my boy likes to climb on mine and jump off the panel quite regularly :/

Edited by Ex_Mosquito - 04 Nov 2018 at 3:18pm
penrhos View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penrhos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2018 at 4:46pm
If you want a Japanese style cab get over to AO and get one on the new cab order - the LS sound is a good cheap neogeo clone but a decent Sega Astro will walk all over it in build quality.

Evoga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evoga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 9:38pm
I used to have the woody UK Neo Geo cabinet as above and a Super Neo Hyper 64 Type 2 which is very close in style to the second model.

If you do have to pick out of just those two I would be the Chinese clone every time as I could never go back to the cheaply designed UK woody models even though I used to always play them in the arcades with my wife (then girlfriend).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thegreathopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 12:26pm
I also used to have the Neo Hyper 64 type 2 with the LCD top screen, I wonder if you have my old one. Smile 

I never owed the LS cab but I had a good inspection when Tone at Killer cabs was importing them, the build quality was bad, the electrics were unsafe and the sticks and buttons and screen... all pretty bad.

Where as the woody electro coin Neogeo cab I had was great. lovely bit of kit for a woody Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thegreathopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 12:30pm
Maybe I bought my cab from you, Smile I recall a long trip from London to Cardiff... wish I had of kept it, great cab.
penrhos View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penrhos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2018 at 12:51pm
I've re-read the OP and it boils down to what you're looking for.

The Woodie should have a MV6 6-slot in the base, EL panels to light up the mini-marquees, card-reader in the CP, Credit LED panel and the MVS looms to support them.

The LS-Sound will have a Chinese JAMMA loom so will only support an MV1 1-slot without modifications.

Screen wise the Woodie will probably have a 20" Hanty and the LS-Sound a 25" Chinese screen - both will be 15Khz JAMMA only.

The Woodie will be structurally more solid than the LS-Sound.

I've owned both and sold both - these are my experiences.

LS-Sound
I had to completely re-wire mine as the transformer wasn't earthed properly which caused a shimmer on the screen, the loom was replaced as it was one of those cheapo Chinese ones you can get for £10 with about 4 strands of copper in each wire, the buttons and sticks were crap and were replaced with Sanwa ones, I never got the screen 100% how I'd like it, convergence and geometry were a little out in the corners and it always looked a little out of focus.

Neo big-6.
the EL panels were either broken or missing, the card reader was knackered (pins bent), only 3 of the 6 slots in the MV6 worked, HANTY PSU blew a couple of times, burn-in on the screen. Biggest problem I had with it was that it was huge (taller than a Blastcity) and weighed a tonne.

Overall the woodie was a better fit for playing MVS games - But there are two cabs for playing MVS games on that wipe the floor with both of these...

1) Lordsvale NeoGeo - all the benefits of the big-6 but 2/3 of the size and weight.
2) Neo-25 Candy - this is the daddy of Japanese MVS goodness.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic