Forum Home Forum Home > Arcade > General Arcade Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Customs charges

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Customs charges
    Posted: 13 May 2017 at 8:44am
Not sure if people are aware of these recent charges for customs.

I had a small plastic part delivered in the week from the USA. Part was $20 and the seller marked it as $20 even tho I asked it to be asked as gift or $10.
Customs stopped it and tried to charge me £31.02. The parcel was marked as $71.05 including postage as it arrived with in 36 hours of paying so I guess they used speedy postage which thankfully they didn't charge me other than the cost of item.

Anyway I contacted customs and said that the charges were rediculous for something which only cost $10. They then said anything with a value over £15 now will incure full import worth postage on top.

As a good will gesture they dropped the charges as the parcel was priced incorrectly.

Looks like anything you now get from the USA has to be a value of less than £15 or you will be stung!!!

Edited by bonehead - 13 May 2017 at 8:46am
Always looking for a bargain.
andrewsm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 9:40am
wow, greedy s&*ts! Always was an issue but got worse now. I had trouble years ago with radios from USA. Cant remember the rate but I think 20% rings a bell. So even as a gift are they applying this?
WANTED: Any Nichibutsu stuff, Pre Jamma Fan. scrap nichibutsu table
http://www.arcadetester.co.uk
bonehead View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 9:45am
They didn't say but I wouldn't be surprised. Luckily my part was tiny so didn't look and value but I guess if you was buying say a control panel it would be hard to value at $10.

Makes it hard to buy spares for pinball machines now as most needed parts are in the USA.
aeroflott View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
A different league

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeroflott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 9:46am
From gov.uk: https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty

VAT

You pay VAT on goods sent from non-European Union (EU) countries and EU special territories (eg the Canary Islands) if they’re:

• gifts worth more than £39
  • other goods worth more than £15
  • alcohol, tobacco products and fragrances (eg perfume, eau de toilette and cologne) of any value

Customs Duty

You’ll be charged Customs Duty on gifts and other goods sent from outside the EU if they’re above a certain value.

The value includes:

• the price paid for the goods
  • postage, packaging and insurance
Type and value of goods Customs Duty
Anything under £135 No charge
Gifts worth £135-£630 2.5%, but rates are lower for some goods - call the helpline
Gifts above £630 and other goods above £135 The rate depends on the type of goods and where they came from - call the helpline
cosine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cosine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 9:49am
It's been like that for a while now, commercial items are subject to VAT if they are over £15, gifts over  £39, customs duty kicks in at £135, and varies depending on what you're importing and where it's coming from. Essentially, it's a license to print money. Tongue

EDIT: and aero beat me to it LOL

Edited by cosine - 13 May 2017 at 9:50am
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my sanity the most.
andrewsm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 9:56am
You can put no value down on the items but then you wont get any insurance if it gets lost. A gamble
WANTED: Any Nichibutsu stuff, Pre Jamma Fan. scrap nichibutsu table
http://www.arcadetester.co.uk
Purity View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 10:43am
I have had this myself this week.

Got a parcel from the US marked as a gift and $40 (£38)

For some reason the seller sent it by speedy delivery and paid $90.95 so the total invoice value was $140.95

I recevied a bill for £22.66 for VAT, and a £12 admin fee, so at total fee of £34.66

When I queried this, they said that it is based on the total value of the item (value of item + postage + insurance), and also they pay VAT themselves on the transportation, so that's passed onto the recipitent.

Sucks!

Edited by Purity - 13 May 2017 at 11:00am
prof peach View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prof peach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 10:58am
It's getting horrendously expensive to import things from the States now. Roll on a Free Trade Deal!
Bensonrad View Drop Down
STILL looking for an Outrun & Paperboy!

4 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bensonrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 11:04am
So they charge import duty on the actual postage cost as well??

I had a CP delivered the other week, I asked the seller to mark as $15 gift, which he did (as item was $40), actual postage was a horrendous $85, but I didn't get charged anything extra on top, thankfully.
Wanted: Super Pacman Bezel, Millipede Euro inner Bezel. Asteroids Cabaret Cab.
Always wanting Millipede/Paperboy/Super Pacman/Outrun/Taito 3 Layer Space Invader PCBs
bbz149 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbz149 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 11:08am

f@ckers have always charge import on the Postal cost!! That’s why I always get a friend in the US to forward it onto me! f@ck c@ntstoms!!!!!

Purity View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 11:16am
It's a bit confusing when you read about it online.

The link that Tony shared is what I looked at recently which says:

"You’ll be charged at the VAT rate that applies to your goods. VAT is charged on the total value, including:

the price paid for the goods
    postage, packaging and insurance
    any duty you owe

Customs Duty

You’ll be charged Customs Duty on gifts and other goods sent from outside the EU if they’re above a certain value.

The value includes:

the price paid for the goods
    postage, packaging and insurance

So it looks like they add it altogether and then charge you on that, even if the value of the item (on its own) is below the threshold

Edited by Purity - 13 May 2017 at 11:18am
Bensonrad View Drop Down
STILL looking for an Outrun & Paperboy!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bensonrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 11:29am
That's a bit of a blow, so there is no real way of getting anything from the states then without huge charges as the postage cost will always be on the post label.
Wanted: Super Pacman Bezel, Millipede Euro inner Bezel. Asteroids Cabaret Cab.
Always wanting Millipede/Paperboy/Super Pacman/Outrun/Taito 3 Layer Space Invader PCBs
edget2000 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edget2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 11:44am
I managed to get a Buck Rogers upright off ebay years ago for $50 but because shipping it to the UK was $500 I still got stung over £100 in charges. I never understood how they could still do you for postage/delivery costs.

Edited by edget2000 - 13 May 2017 at 11:45am
Nes4life View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nes4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 11:45am
I hit this with a cap kit of all things. Getting customs charged on postage cost is out of order in my opinion.
Until there's a free trade agreement I won't be buying from the US.
NES4Life
-------------
Owner of ... too many cabs!
GadgetFreak View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GadgetFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 11:58am
A free trade agreement will not change personal import charges, its only for business!
It use to be that USA stuff would get through and China stuff would get stopped but in recent years this has swapped around. I was buying micro boards from the USA that cost £15, duty was only £3 but the post office added another £8 for handling!
The other thing that has changed recently is that fleabay purchases of around $70 or below using the global shipping program didn't use to charge import fees, now it seems that any purchase using this option adds import fees.
phillv85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phillv85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 12:03pm
I've just accepted anything I buy these days will cost me money when it arrives on these shores. It's now a bonus if something gets through uncharged.
bonehead View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 12:07pm
Just get the seller to mark the parcel $15 or below. You take a chance it doesn't get lost in the post but better than paying customs in my opinion.

ColinD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ColinD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 10:09pm
I just had some pcb's worth under £15 from China and DHL nailed me.... They don't seem to care and said total invoice value was around £28... It clearly showed the value of the items and the shipping costs !!

Somehow I don't think I'll get the £16 I had to pay back !! 
MDK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 11:16pm
Pretty much anything that I've bought from Japan recently (last 12 months) have all been hit with customs charges and 1 item from Hong Kong actually opened as it was marked down low.

Unlike before I could have a 10kg plus box of stuff sent over with no issues Cry
bonehead View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 11:31pm
I phoned ups and said I wasn't paying the customs as it was rediculous.
They said to send a copy of the purchase email which I got the seller to send me saying it was only a $15 purchase.
Customs then dropped all charges and the parcel was then delivered next day.

Don't just accept the charges!!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic