Forum Home Forum Home > Arcade > General Arcade Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Dehumidifier - Desiccant vs Refrigerant

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Matt_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dehumidifier - Desiccant vs Refrigerant
    Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 2:04pm
My new games room should be finished in a couple of weeks so I'm just doing some more research on dehumidifiers.
I keep changing my mind between desiccant and Refrigerant/compressor with regards to which will be best suited for me.
A couple of pros and cons of each.

Refrigerant pros -

Cheap to run
Generally have much bigger tanks/resevoirs

Refrigerant cons -

More noisy
Don't work well below 15°c

Desiccant pros -

Work very well at 15°c an under
Lower maintenance, longer lifespan
The air coming back out is 3 to 5°C warmer (I've also read 10/12°C) warmer compared to only 1 or 2°C of refrigerant.

Desiccant cons -

More expensive to run
Smaller tank/reservoir capacity in general

I am leaning towards a desiccant model but I am a bit worried about the extra running cost as they are around 650w which is more than double some refrigerant models. However, I have read that when the temperature goes below 15°C a refrigerant spends around 67% of its time and energy defrosting its coils so becomes much less energy efficient but whether this evens up the score a bit I don't know.

So just wondering how you guys get on with yours and what you use? Also what sort of humidity do you aim for? Looking back through old threads I've read people saying anything between 40% and 75%.

My games room is a T&G heavy duty shed with 1 double glazed window (although calling it a shed doesn't do it justice) I'm nearly finished insulating now, although I still have the roof to do next week.
I've used 50mm Celotex on the floor and walls and same going in the roof all foil taped at joins etc. I've also made and fitted a new door so no draughts. The room is around 18' x 8' 6".
thesharkfactor View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thesharkfactor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 2:56pm
Desiccant for sure. A nice side effect is it will heat the room too. 
muddymusic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Repro Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 3:03pm
Definitely. You need to think about the times of year you'll actually be needing to run one - and it's when the temp is going to be frequently below 15.
Repro Arcade Artwork supplier, pm me or visit arcadeartshop.com
Kev A View Drop Down
User
User

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kev A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 3:08pm
Yup I would go with desiccant too, unless you are centrally heating your space too, I think figures of 10-12 degrees are probably a bit optimistic, mine warms my uninsulated space by a couple of degrees. Some have sensors built in, so they sample the air every so often and only come on if the humidity is above a preset level. Some also have the option to add a drain hose, which would be useful if you want to fit and forget.
big10p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 3:30pm
+1 for desiccant. In winter, my games room can get colder than my mini fridge in there! LOL
WANTED: Sega Cash Cube CP end plate. Click me for details!
agent4125 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agent4125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 4:26pm
This one looks pretty good, has a sensor, cut-off and continuous drainage hose...

Shame it's not wall mount.  I could do with a wall mount one really since I'd want to drain it out of a hole in the wall, but the floor is lower than the ground level on the outside of my garage.  I guess I could put it on a shelf...
Wanted: Robotron!
JohnBud View Drop Down
User
User
There's only one JB, only one JB!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnBud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 4:33pm
i've got a couple kicking about if you want 1 ??? big 1 and a wee 1, lol. my advice is temperature ??? keep up up and steady ??? it's when the temperature drops that condensation starts. and make sure it is vented ??? amazing how much moisture we breathe Wink
Kev A View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kev A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 4:42pm
JohnBud View Drop Down
User
User
There's only one JB, only one JB!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnBud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 4:57pm
ioniser is good for smells it pumps up negative ions Cool
big10p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by agent4125 agent4125 wrote:

This one looks pretty good, has a sensor, cut-off and continuous drainage hose...

Shame it's not wall mount.  I could do with a wall mount one really since I'd want to drain it out of a hole in the wall, but the floor is lower than the ground level on the outside of my garage.  I guess I could put it on a shelf...
I have mine on a table in the corner of the room, for that reason.
WANTED: Sega Cash Cube CP end plate. Click me for details!
_Matt_ View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Matt_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by JohnBud JohnBud wrote:

i've got a couple kicking about if you want 1 ??? big 1 and a wee 1, lol. my advice is temperature ??? Wink

Cheers for the offer John but I may as well go for a new one as I've got some money set aside for it and hopefully I won't have to worry about it then for the next few year's.
_Matt_ View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Matt_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 5:40pm
Thanks for the replies and I'll take a look at those links when I get in from work but I think I'll definitely go for desiccant and I definitely want one with a humidistat so it only comes on when needed.

I know it will be different for everyone depending on the room and settings on the dehumidifier for your humidity target etc but does anyone know roughly how many hours a day you have yours running in winter and in summer?
Kev A View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kev A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 8:12pm
In the summer I dont have mine on at all. In winter its probably on an average of 12 hours per day. I turn mine on and off manually to coincide with the cheap rate electricity. But my garage isnt insulated at all. With old wooden doors that let alot of draft in. So im sure your would be on much less. I did work out the costs roughly once and it was around £5 per week.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic