ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Artwork and Restorations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Dino Kings Restore / Conversion Log

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 2:22am
Had a bit of an experiment today, to see if I can minimise the service panel in the Dino King cabs even further. I settled on a location on the left of the cab, above the coin box.

With some chopping down of the service panel metal and drilling a few holes so fixing bolts can be attached, I can sneak it into place under the upper shelf support, attached to the side cab metalwork.
I should be able to keep both shelves free for larger game boards up top, an MVS mobo in the middle, and space at the bottom for something else like smaller PCBs or a Pi-JAMMA kit.

I have a couple of issues though... to fit the service panel here means I have to cut off the right hand side beyond the sticker & service button. This means I lop off the current support 'foot' for the panel - once done, it can never be used horizontally ever again Confused

Also does the service panel have to be electrically isolated from the cabinet metal? It was originally on an MDF shelf and has 100V+ going through it for the monitor deguass + power switches. But the panel itself is fully earthed, and was originally bolted to all manner of internal metal plating that separated the ticket dispenser area from the game boards and transformer, and was connected to the cabinet metal anyway.

Hmmm.....

Wanted: - PCBs: Rainbow Islands, Bomb Jack, Rolling Thunder
- Parts needed: Naomi non-swivel castor / wheel, coin mech metal clip for Dino King Door
Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 2:58am
Well the hot-swappable panels are now done. Seems to have taken an age to get the cab looms spliced, connectored and then do the same for the CPs. They can now be unplugged and re-connected at will for whatever game setup is required. The button colours are all a bit random for now, while I play with various theming ideas.

I now turn my attention to the 4th cab (currently with Mushi King bezel on it), which is blowing the plug fuse.. much experimentation needed to find out what it is exactly..

- Parts needed: Naomi non-swivel castor / wheel, coin mech metal clip for Dino King Door
neil1637 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neil1637 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 7:51am
Good stuff there pal. Looking forward to seeing what you do with number 4.

Have you fathomed out the fuse issue yet?
Please visit my Arcade Diary Blog at https://neilsarcadediary.wordpress.com/

Always looking for Cabaret Cabinets
Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 3:08pm
Sadly not had a chance to mess with the fuse issue much. I've swapped over the mains filter box itself with another cab for now and I'm seeing if the issue moves to the other cab or not.

If not I have some 7amp fuses to see if it's just down to a startup surge when powering up.

Beyond that I'll have to swap out the transformer to see if that's the issue. Finally I have the option to bypass the mains filter completely. I had a quick look for replacements but there's nothing with the same values as the ones Sega used unfortunately.

virtvic View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
Chizels 4 life!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote virtvic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 3:13pm
I had a bad filter box on my phoenix years ago that kept knocking out fuses. Swapped it out and it's been great for years.
THE PENCE IS MIGHTIER THAN THE SWORD!

Check out the podcast

http://tenpencearcade.co.uk
Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by virtvic virtvic wrote:

I had a bad filter box on my phoenix years ago that kept knocking out fuses. Swapped it out and it's been great for years.

I have a feeling whatever the issue is it's going to be a right old pain in arse to replace isn't it LOL

muddymusic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Repro Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 3:28pm
I've had 2 problems like that with the Dino's I've converted, 1 was the mains filter had gone bad and kept tripping the RCD, and the other one was from one of the longer wired power connections inside that wasn't being used anymore once I'd converted it also tripping the RCD, once I removed all the superfluous power wiring it stopped.
Repro Arcade Artwork supplier, pm me or visit arcadeartshop.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic