ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Artwork and Restorations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Dino Kings Restore / Conversion Log

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dino Kings Restore / Conversion Log
    Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 1:44am
I thought I'd start a little log of my latest project(s).

I just picked up two Dino King cabs, both destined for Jamma conversion.
They actually both fit in a hatchback, with a couple of cm to spare!

It's not actually the first time I've had my head in a Dino King cab - I picked up two last year as well, but those were partially converted, so it was a case of getting those going again and improving them, rather than going from scratch.
(Here's one I did earlier...)

So this is the first time I've seen the full innards of an actual Dino King, straight from the operator floor (Ulp!) Shocked

Only some of the vinyl arwork on the outside has survived unfortunately. Plenty of tape, stickers and gunge on these that all needs cleaning up properly too.
Thankfully the CRTs look pretty good - no burn, and the plexi monitor covers are only lightly scratched (so I might give Novus a go on those much later on).

I'll probably strip the side and front vinyl artwork despite the artwork being pretty nice.
One of my existing Dino King cabs has the original artwork in good condition, so I'll keep that one as-is, but go different with these.

The control panel is of course unusable for anything but the original game, and features rock / paper / scissors buttons and a massive barcode / card scanner which to be honest blocks the bottom portion of the monitor.
Inside and around the cabs were a ton of bits and pieces - spare dino cards, management key, marquee / standee art, various metal bits and the service manuals. 21p and a free TORX screwdriver too Wink

Only had time to do a quick cursory check over and clean up a couple of bits. I did remove the security bars / hasps from both cabs straight away though - these swing about and can easily damage doorframes and other cabs when space is not plentiful.
So here they are, sat next to eachother, waiting for work to begin....

Wanted: - PCBs: Ordyne, Rainbow Islands, Bomb Jack, Rolling Thunder, Sky Kid
- Parts needed: Dino King castor wheel, coin mech metal clip/screw for Dino King Door
tronads View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tronads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 7:09am
Have a word with Vic regarding a control panel he has for sale.
virtvic View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
Chizels 4 life!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote virtvic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 7:35am
That Mr Driller one above used to be mine, before Sarj had a go at it :(

I do have a nice panel for sale and can make more...

THE PENCE IS MIGHTIER THAN THE SWORD!

Check out the podcast

http://tenpencearcade.co.uk
Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 11:21am
Originally posted by virtvic virtvic wrote:

That Mr Driller one above used to be mine, before Sarj had a go at it :(

I do have a nice panel for sale and can make more...

Yep big shame on that one, but it's back to life and 100% being used, which is a good thing Thumbs Up
How much do those CP's cost each? (And also.. no start button on them?)

- Parts needed: Dino King castor wheel, coin mech metal clip/screw for Dino King Door
virtvic View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
Chizels 4 life!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote virtvic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 11:37am
You can wire 1p button one to start, but I am going to add a 24mm start button hole to the left of the joystick.

£40 each + postage

Check out the podcast

Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 6:04pm
Ah OK.. yep I'm the same with wanting separate start button(s).

My plan was to do either SEGA Blast City or Astro City in style for the outer artwork, so something a little like this really....

I'll have a ponder about the layouts... my current 2 cabs both have the start on the right side.. I'd not really considered it before but I could do two with the start on the opposite side, so when put next to eachother they replicate a full Astro City CP.. hmmm Approve

Edited by Flinnster - 17 Mar 2017 at 6:05pm

tronads View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tronads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 9:04pm
I can guarantee that you will not find a better quality Dino King control panel than that which Vic has recently manufactured. 

It's difficult to describe the material, as its like perspex sandwiched between alloy, but its totally rigid, smooth edged and fits perfectly. They do not flex so will have no bother surviving being posted.

I was walking near work the other day and I noticed that the street names plaques they have on posts about 2 feet off the ground on our business estate appeared to be made of the same material.

I am over the moon with mine.....but tomorrows job is to cut 2 more 24mm holes in it.....so if I make a mess of it, I'll be buying Vic's other one !

Edited by tronads - 17 Mar 2017 at 9:05pm
virtvic View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
Chizels 4 life!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote virtvic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 10:16pm
That is what the material Is used for! These panels are made from large off cuts.

Check out the podcast

virtvic View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
Chizels 4 life!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote virtvic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 11:21pm
If you want a panel, I can put the start button any where you like!

Check out the podcast

Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2017 at 3:21pm
Ah cheers! Would be cool to be able to specify the hole positions to suit the artwork (when I've made it!)

Sounds like a very interesting material then - how do you mount the joystick? It is bolt-through on those holes only, or is there any way to mount studs on the underside?
I'm thinking about whether to make 4 closely matching cabs you see - my current 2 dont match at all yet, but at least they both have bolt-free CP joystick mounts ;)

(probably getting a little ahead of myself anyway...)

Edited by Flinnster - 18 Mar 2017 at 3:23pm

Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2017 at 3:29pm
Today I took a look at the first of the newly collected cabs and started cleaning it up so I could give it a test power-up.

The best side for artwork is on the right (only a small corner taken out of the original vinyl art). Unfortunately the left side hasn't fared so well and the top third is missing. The adhesive residue left behind has collected a ton of crud, so I hope that isn't going to be too tough to get off.
The front door art is pretty scratched, and the edges are fraying and peeling. I think that's eventually gonna go (or I can swap the door over).

Inside the front is the standard coin door credit board, but the coin mech is dead, and no entry light. Then its Sega metal overload!
The ticket/card dispenser is in the middle, and a buckled up coin door on the left (operator mangled, not me). Inside there's tape over one of the coin meters?
Behind that are the 2 RFID readers/writers for the management / security chips, which are missing. Finally above that, all metal panelled off is the test panel and entry for the compact flash card that the game data is held on.

In the back, the monitor chassis, then a large space with the Sega system SP game board. There's a VGA connector to the monitor from this. The game seems to be the 2.5 version from 2008, the more recent Dino King game.
Then below there are two PSU boards - I'd guess one for the game board and the other for the ticket dispenser and RFID readers.
Right at the bottom is a dim dark area with the main ISO transformer. It all seems to be covered in a thick blank gunk.

Started to shift a bit of that black gunk and found a load more dino king cards, and a Sega lock tang, which is nice as they are hard to come by!
But the majority of the gunk was really sticky.. it was like the beach had washed in or something. So that's going to need a load more scrubbing.

Around the cab there are serial number stickers, but not the official SEGA blue logo type ones - these look more like something associated with the rental of these machines. So I thought I'd remove those. To my surprise the barcodes stayed on the paint when I removed them! Some kind of security sticker?

Ah no.. it turns out there were actually multiple serial number stickers on top of eachother and only the top one was orange! ;) There's also a nice inspection record on the rear door showing the cab was last inspected in 2015. So that'll be going as well...

Back to the front then, and onto the CP so I can start cleaning the plastics. I unscrewed all the screws and the CP simply wouldn't come off!
After a bit of a struggle I heard a loud crack and my heart sank.. I really thought I'd cracked the main plastic that surrounds the CP and monitor.

But no! It seems the sticky gunk trail continues.. it's as if the CP was stuck down hard with something like coke from a spillage. I literally cracked the paint off the back of the CP.. and thankfully the plastics are fine.

So after that.. all that remained was to start cleaning out the standard operator grime, so out came the packet of multi-purpose wipes, spray, cloths etc..

I removed the monitor plastics and spent a good few hours giving everything a good scrub and multiple wipes down - removing coke gunge, the thick black dust, bits of paint and other marks. Dismantling parts as I went, I worked my way round the entire cab, cleaning the coke from the underside and wheels,  and doing my best to clean up the side art adhesive too, in case I don't strip it completely.

I finished off by stripping out the blanking metal panels inside, cleaning as I went - the cab starting to look more like something I recognise at this point!
A lot of what I thought was rust was actually that brown sticky coke like gunk - but there's still quite a few bumps and nicks to magic eraser, or fill with a white paint pen.

So with everything relatively clean (I only lightly brushed the Iso transformer and monitor chassis areas), I re-assembled the card dispenser and RFID readers, plugged everything back in, connected a mains lead (and took the management chip from the other cab) and stood back!

And wahoo! Boots up, monitor runs, audio working etc.. all good. Sadly no credits left on the management chip, so all I get is a kid's voice calling out a message to go find a local attendant.. er.. that'll be me then?Wink Went through the test modes and all seems pretty good.

Shame the management chip credits have all been used. Otherwise I would definitely have a few plays of the original Dinosaur King game just for a laugh!
(I did notice that the RFID reader is a writer too.. which got me thinking... surely it's possible somehow to re-write credits to the management tag?)
I know Sega no longer support the game, so getting extra credits from them isn't likely!

Anyway, if it's not possible to run the game any more, are any of the specific game parts even worth anything to anyone these days?

- Sega System SP board & associated PSUs
- Dinosaur King 2.5 CF card (256Mb)
- Card dispenser + card weight (the big H-shaped block of metal)
- 2x RFID readers/writers
- 2player rock/paper/scissors control panel (microswitch buttons)
- Barcode reader block
- Security bar / hasp and mounting bolts
- Various metal inner parts from inside

virtvic View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
Chizels 4 life!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote virtvic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2017 at 3:48pm
RE: joystick holes in panel

You can't weld any threaded studs to this material, so the joystick holes are necessary. I always use dome headed M4 coach bolts, so they still look neat.

Check out the podcast

Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 11:37pm
Cheers vic! I shall have a butchers for those M4 coach bolts next Thumbs Up

I started stripping out the final cab today. To save repeating myself, same thing again but a bit less cleaning and a lot more removing of bits. This one fired up first time too and the monitor is OK, all tests fine once again, so I just got on with removing the game boards, shelves, wiring/ main game loom etc..

I'll clean up the bits when I get spare moments in the coming weeks - as I'm waiting for jamma parts to arrive now anyway.... Sleepy

What I would like to know is .. the stepdown transformer at the base of the cab - how much residual charge is left in these things after power off? Am I going to get a jolt of voltage if I start disconnecting and removing the stepdown, and giving it a good clean?

Also I need to bridge some connections from the mains filter at the back of the cab to run to the switching supply. It's the first time I've dealt with anything 'mains side' - what wire should I use (just a standard bit of power cord with live/neutral/earth?) and is there a best-practice 'place' to connect to / connectors to use? Any advice appreciated! Smile

Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 1:21am
Spent this evening messing with some mockups. I've decided that I do want to keep the top panel for game artwork, no matter what style I end up with.
My original plan of a Sega Astro 'Mini' City look means taking a lot of artistic license with the Astro City layout.. it has no marquee on the cabinet itself of course.
So, I'm not 100% certain on any of these yet.. but this is kinda where I'm heading...

virtvic View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
Chizels 4 life!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote virtvic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 5:21am
Are you going for to want me to make up some panels for you?

Pm me if you do.

Check out the podcast

Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 11:12am
Hey Vic Wink I certainly will - you have a PM Big smile

penrhos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penrhos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 5:25pm
If you're binning the leftovers I wouldn't mind the System-SP board to play with...
tronads View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tronads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 6:18pm
The marquee is something I need to look at next. 
I think I will try and hairdryer the Dino King bit off.
muddymusic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Repro Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 7:44pm
My marquees have always just been a bit of paper with tape around the outside, usually pull straight off by hand in one piece!
Repro Arcade Artwork supplier, pm me or visit arcadeartshop.com
tronads View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tronads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 9:40pm
This one appears a bit more substantial, i wasnt able to get it started with my fingernail.......I'm hoping you might be able to offer something in your art shop i can replace it with :-)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic