ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Artwork and Restorations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Dino Kings Restore / Conversion Log

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tronads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 12:31am
Told yer you'd be impressed with Vic's panels :-)
virtvic View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
Chizels 4 life!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote virtvic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 5:20am
You need some Mr driller pcbs. Or maybe even Uo Poko?
THE PENCE IS MIGHTIER THAN THE SWORD!

Check out the podcast

http://tenpencearcade.co.uk
Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by virtvic virtvic wrote:

You need some Mr driller pcbs. Or maybe even Uo Poko?

I still have the Mr Driller marquee and CP art Tongue Although I missed out on a board a while back.

As for crazy Uo Poko (isn't that the current 10p compo game?), I would need to obtain the kitty paw joystick ball!
(Or... rig up an old-skool toilet flush!)

Edited by Flinnster - 17 May 2017 at 12:35pm

Wanted: - PCBs: Rainbow Islands, Bomb Jack, Rolling Thunder
- Parts needed: Naomi non-swivel castor / wheel, coin mech metal clip for Dino King Door
virtvic View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
Chizels 4 life!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote virtvic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 12:38pm
Good luck with that. They are made out of sparkly unicorn poo.
THE PENCE IS MIGHTIER THAN THE SWORD!

Check out the podcast

http://tenpencearcade.co.uk
Chunksin View Drop Down

3 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chunksin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 1:11pm
And sparkly unicorn poo ain't cheap: link Shocked
Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 1:21am
LOL It's because it has the word 'CAVE' on it! Still got to love it all though.
But yeah... woah

Hang on.. that ebay listing says Uo Poko is co-operative 2 player?! Cool

Edited by Flinnster - 18 May 2017 at 1:24am

- Parts needed: Naomi non-swivel castor / wheel, coin mech metal clip for Dino King Door
Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 7:28pm
I have been working away getting some custom marquee art finished for printing for 2 of the cabs. The art is a 'homage' - it's not meant to recreate the original marquees, but I have taken plenty of cues from old flyers and instruction strips to keep the vibe there, I hope.

I carefully removed both sets of artwork from the back of the monitor bezel so they can be reused in future if I want to.
Then trimmed the new art to fit and carefully mounted it into place, ready for the cabs to head to Revival this weekend.

So here's how they look now:

Edited by Flinnster - 19 May 2017 at 7:30pm

Chunksin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chunksin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 7:42pm
My LCD Dino is ready to go too, check out the cracked bezel, I'll put some stickers on it or something!

Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 8:00pm
Looking cool though! Big instruction strip and a load of blu-tack maybe? Confused

Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2017 at 11:05pm
I don't seem to have had much chance to get hands on with cabs since Revival, which flew by as a complete blur!
Hello to everyone I met up with and happilly geeked out on arcade and retro stuff with for the whole weekend  Wink

Unfortunately the Pang cab didn't make it (last minute logistics!) but Wonder Boy went down well, many not realising the artwork was all custom designed, which was cool - means I did the job well enough!

My attention has turned to the hot-swapping of control panels - I have some more metal panels coming from afar at the end of next month so I'm getting all my bits and pieces together for these.
Firstly I grabbed some cheap Sanwa sticks and gave them a good refurb scrub / bubble bath and sunbathe.
With a couple of new ball tops they came out really nicely I think - just gotta get some connecting cables and dust washers for those now.

Then I worked out a plan for wiring the pins on the JST connectors, that sit in the metal panel behind the CP.
Looks like I can cram everything for all the various combos of 1 & 2 player panels onto a single 21-pin connector, which is ace:

Next up I think I need to go shopping for a crimp tool, as I'll probably be crimping JST pins for the next few months! Wacko

Bods View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 2:58pm
Nice to see someone doing things properlySmile

Glad the machines I got all have the internals still so I can use the connectors like yourself for wiring the panels up as I was planning one having different ones with special control layouts for other games than standard joystick n buttons

Don't know why people rip all that stuff out and shove wires through, yeah it's quick way to do stuff but to me it's just a bodge job

They make an awesome Mini Arcade setup don't theySmile

WANTED! Buggy Boy Junior Rear Seat. Continental Circus Cockpit Lower Rear Light Plexi and more space
Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 11:25pm
Thanks Bods!

Yeah, I'm trying to do things properly rather than just hack... whether I manage them all is another matter! Wink The JST connector for hot-swapping was originally suggested by Paulie, so I'm running with it! It all takes a lot more fiddling and faffing, but I'm making these for my enjoyment so it's a total labour of love.

The mini arcade is great Smile This evening Metal Slug X, Bubble Bobble and Street Fighter 2 were on in a row Thumbs Up

Also had some various blonding chemicals arrive from t'internet, so if the weather holds for next weekend, I'll be doing some retrobriting for the first time too!

rcantor77 View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
Candy Kid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rcantor77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 7:21am
Dave, you saw inside of mine... if you have the original loom then if you pull all of the wires out of the original sockets then they are the perfect length already to vcreate a Jamma harness and you have no need to crimp anything... i didn't need to.

Edited by rcantor77 - 31 May 2017 at 7:22am

Bods View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 7:56am
Originally posted by Flinnster Flinnster wrote:

Thanks Bods!

Also had some various blonding chemicals arrive from t'internet, so if the weather holds for next weekend, I'll be doing some retrobriting for the first time too!

Yeah, I really need to start doing that too, I got a bottle already, should of thought about it last week with that blooming sunshine we had for days. Not just Arcade bits I want to do, got loads of Commodore stuff, Shoe Phone I bought for the missus that should be White, be great to restore some stuff

It's worth taking time on these things though. 3 cabs of mine I was going to use for mame, looking to install jamma loom though instead of just wiring up an Ipac, then you can play arcade pcb's too if I want, trying to plan it out so I can fit everything in. I was trying different options like old ArcadeVGA Cards but they don't work very well, it seems to stretch the image to wide and you can't adjust the monitors right, Soft15khz is fantastic though, no issues with width. Was going to work on the Missus machine first but then I picked up a cheap Virtual Pinball with fault so cracked on with that as I only had a month to sort something for birthday but need to get back to the Dino cab soon

Been thinking of options to make switching Control Panels easily, one game I wanted to play is Discs Of Tron, original cabs are too much for me to pay but I have original Joystick and spinner so thats one Panel I will have to swap on it, could add some UV LEDs I guess into the panel to light the Joystick up too, make it look cool

WANTED! Buggy Boy Junior Rear Seat. Continental Circus Cockpit Lower Rear Light Plexi and more space
Nes4life View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nes4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 8:32am
If only there was an event (based at an awesome retro-focused venue in Cambridge) where you guys could all bring your Dino Kings together... on Sat 2nd September

http://www.ukvac.com/forum/the-arcade-experience-in-cambridge_topic357853.html

Edited by Nes4life - 31 May 2017 at 8:37am
NES4Life
-------------
Owner of ... too many cabs!
Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 3:38pm
Right on for that, the mini-arcade lives!!
I'm aiming to bring all 4 of mine to Cambridge with maybe the odd suprise Wink Who else is in? Thumbs Up

TWB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TWB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by Nes4life Nes4life wrote:

If only there was an event (based at an awesome retro-focused venue in Cambridge) where you guys could all bring your Dino Kings together... on Sat 2nd September

http://www.ukvac.com/forum/the-arcade-experience-in-cambridge_topic357853.html

I could bring 1, two if I get my ass into gear and get it finished
WANTED
CABS: Defender project, Asteroids.
PCBS: Phoenix, Gun Smoke, Rainbow Islands.
PARTS: C220 Coin Mech Face plate.
Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 6:09pm
Sounds great! Smile

Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 7:08pm
Quote Dave, you saw inside of mine... if you have the original loom then if you pull all of the wires out of the original sockets then they are the perfect length already to create a Jamma harness and you have no need to crimp anything... i didn't need to.

Actually I never got a chance to see inside yours fully, I should have grabbed a better look!
I was planning on keeping my original loom intact so I could still use the original Dino King hardware while I still have some management chip credits left.
So I have fresh looms on all the cabs already, trying to keep it clean Wink

..should of thought about it last week with that blooming sunshine we had for days.

Yep, that's what spurred me on to order the peroxide! Then of course it decided to rain... roll on August!

Been thinking of options to make switching Control Panels easily, one game I wanted to play is Discs Of Tron, original cabs are too much for me to pay but I have original Joystick and spinner so thats one Panel I will have to swap on it, could add some UV LEDs I guess into the panel to light the Joystick up too, make it look cool

This is something I'd like to see! Big smile

Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 7:24pm
Well a little more progress on the swappable CP's and on one of the Dino King cabs.

I figured I should just see how it goes with the crimping, so with soldering iron and trusty cheapo pliers in hand, I lopped the perfectly working loom in two and started splicing in those damned JST pins. And yep, it took hours..

I'll be honest, after doing the top row of pins I'd probably had enough of all the cutting, tinning, crimping and checking of connections!
I only made the mistake of putting a pin in the wrong portion of the connector once thankfully - and yep, it's still ruddy annoying extracting those pins when you get it wrong!

But hey, it was well worth it in the end - one completely hot-swappable 2 player CP, and one cab loom completely ready to accept JST-connector'd panels now.
The 2nd connector is purely for the earth connection, and it's re-used from the existing Dino cab stuff:

After that I did the second MDF base panel mount for the JAMMA switching PSU, freeing up the front base of the cab for a MVS mobo.
Next up will be the service panel mod onto the lower shelf so the top one is 100% free for larger game boards.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic