ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Trading Post > Wanted
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Good Quality Portable Scanner

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonTron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Good Quality Portable Scanner
    Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 4:34pm
Im looking for a good quality portable scanner to scan some artwork for my project. I did buy a HP Scanjet 4670, as used and recommended by Whitney on the SkySkipper project, but my one doesnt want to work. I am trying to fix it but i wont have it fixed in time for this scan opportunity.

Anyone got any recommendations for this?

What is the minimum pdi i should be using for a good art scan?

If someone has anything i could use on hire for the weekend of 23rd March let me know also.

Cheers
Jon
muddymusic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Repro Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 9:16am
The HP4670 is really the only option. There's nothing else that does the job like that. I have to use an older laptop with WinXP for mine, but it was only about £40 so worth it to keep the whole setup portable. If it's art that's going to be vectored 150 or 200dpi will suffice, it defaults to 200dpi iirc anyway.

300dpi is usually plenty for making 1:1 copies, if you want to enlarge what you're scanning go to 600dpi.
Repro Arcade Artwork supplier, pm me or visit arcadeartshop.com
JonTron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonTron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 9:47am
Thanks for the info. I sort of knew the 4670 was the best option so I'm just going to have to work out what is wrong with mine.

I got all the drivers and stuff to run it on my pc and an old windows xp laptop but the result is the same. the scanner moves to scan but the detector/sensor (whatever the name of it is) does not light up as if it is doing anything. So I end up with a load on garbage for the scan.

Good to know about the dpi as I have seen a few handheld scanners that do that resolution that I can use worst comes to worst. It will be 1:1 so 300dpi should be good enough.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Repro Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 10:42am
Sometimes the light fails on mine - a good whack always seems to fix it though lol
JonTron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonTron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 10:45am
How about when it reaches the end of the scan and keeps on driving? It makes a horrible clacking noise and I have to unplug it for it to stop. does that maybe 9 times out of 10 scan attempts. 
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Repro Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 10:52am
Well unfortunately....I'd have to say it's f*cked.
JonTron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonTron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 11:04am
Ermm ........anyone got a scanner I can borrow...?

Vintage76 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vintage76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 8:33pm
I've one at my office which is really great. I should scan my naomi marquee.
Send me a Pm tomorrow in case i forgot to answer ;)
tin View Drop Down

2 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

2 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by JonTron JonTron wrote:

How about when it reaches the end of the scan and keeps on driving? It makes a horrible clacking noise and I have to unplug it for it to stop. does that maybe 9 times out of 10 scan attempts. 

could easily be just a little switch inside that senses when the carriage is at the end of the scan. or it's connecting wires.
This is your crew chief // Yeah, the course is really tough // But it's a beautiful day // So good luck!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic