Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Artwork and Restorations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

goodbye Retr0bright

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LewisGamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: goodbye Retr0bright
    Posted: 14 May 2019 at 12:02am
So, after all these years of pissing about with peroxide and making crazy chemical concoctions, you just needed to plonk your yellowed plastics in direct sunlight!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8P1OVj0IcqY&t=15s 

Independent games store owner and Organizer of Retro Games Night at the Batcave
Shun View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 12:12am
Yeah, saw this the other day. Interesting vid. Looks like its going to be sunny over the next couple of days, so might be a good time to try it out.
LewisGamer View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LewisGamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 12:15am
I have a famicom that looks browner than a bread bin C64. I'm going to chuck that out in the sun this week. I'll report back with what happens. 
Vinegar Joe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinegar Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 12:25am
Might try this with my A1200 over the weekend while I'm replacing the back yard gate.
Ace` View Drop Down
User
User
PlanB contributor #1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ace` Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 12:56am
I'm sure if you live some where like Vegas it'll work eventually, but England.... I'm interested to hear either way though or how long it took to see a difference.
Flinnster View Drop Down

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 1:00am
We sometimes hit 35-40'C in the middle of summer down here on a sheltered south facing patio.
I'm quite interested to try this on a yellowed Dino King surround, because as good as retrobrite chemicals are, I've noticed they do change the finish of the plastic a bit..  this looks like it won't ruin a glossy shiny surface.

.......... Or, he's a massive joker and we're all about to turn our kit BROWN.

Edited by Flinnster - 14 May 2019 at 1:00am

WTD: Outrun DLX cab, Rolling Thunder pcb
Parts WTD: Dino King Door, Coin Box, Coin Chute
joe34 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joe34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 1:31am
it's not cheap but Gtechniq C4 makes any dull plastic all shiny and new again 
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LewisGamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 8:45am
My C64c is out in the sun today, and by the end of the week I’ll have a set of one of my Naomi plastics out in the sun haha

Post before and after pics on here chaps. I want to see if people are getting decent results from this.

Also... heat does not matter. Just direct sunlight.

You can get decent results in the UK! I just want to see how it can help with the arcade scene.

If anyone has a go this week, please post before and after pictures.

I desperately want to see Shaun Holley get his brown OK baby out in the sun for a few days haha.

User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LewisGamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 8:46am
Originally posted by Flinnster Flinnster wrote:

We sometimes hit 35-40'C in the middle of summer down here on a sheltered south facing patio.
I'm quite interested to try this on a yellowed Dino King surround, because as good as retrobrite chemicals are, I've noticed they do change the finish of the plastic a bit..  this looks like it won't ruin a glossy shiny surface.

.......... Or, he's a massive joker and we're all about to turn our kit BROWN.

I’ll be putting my Dino plastics out for sure!! :D

Hehe I hope it’s not a prank, but there are far too many positive testimonials. Maybe I’m just not in on the joke haha.

Edited by LewisGamer - 14 May 2019 at 8:48am
tin View Drop Down

2 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

2 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 9:59am
That.... is absolutely bonkers. Gonna give it a try see what happens.

This is your crew chief // Yeah, the course is really tough // But it's a beautiful day // So good luck!
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LewisGamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 10:08am
Ok, this is going outside for a week. Removed all the electronics, and will be in sunlight for about 6 hours a day.

Silvercity View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silvercity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 10:16am
Just did it on a slightly discoloured gameboy case and it has definitely improved. I didn’t take piccies and it was only a slight discolour but it is amazing that it works.
big10p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 10:23am
Does it work on teeth?
WANTED: Sega Cash Cube CP end plate. Click me for details!
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LewisGamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 10:27am
Originally posted by big10p big10p wrote:

Does it work on teeth?

yeah! just keep smiling at the sun for a few hours.

To stop yourself from burning to a crisp, cut out the shape of a smile into a paper plate, and tape the plate to your head. Make sure the cut out is over your teeth, or you will end up with a tan smile randomly burnt on to your face.

Edited by LewisGamer - 14 May 2019 at 10:28am
TomSp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomSp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 10:47am
My SNES looks identical Smile (although only the top half, bottom half is fine weirdly). If the weather holds out, I'll try this tomorrow.

Edited by TomSp - 14 May 2019 at 10:47am
Bods View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 10:53am
Thought it was partly the sunlight that turns it yellow, else why aren't all old things yellowed

I had some white plastic CCTV cameras and they yellowed in the sun, also some Temperature Sensors that also have from being outside, could just be if it's in daylight or maybe the strip lights do it as well

End of day, just some Crème Peroxide is supposed to sort it, just opened the tub I bought, when I say open, I mean from when it was delivered in the packingLOL dated 2016 so that's how long it takes me to get round to stuff Embarrassed
WANTED! Buggy Boy Junior Rear Seat. Continental Circus Cockpit Lower Rear Light Plexi and more space
Bods View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 10:57am
nice comment on you tube

Good to know. But I live in a Bronx Project. Even if I DO get the sunlight, I leave anything outside for more than an hour, it belongs to whoever stole it. Hell... I got half my furniture that way!!!!
WANTED! Buggy Boy Junior Rear Seat. Continental Circus Cockpit Lower Rear Light Plexi and more space
Layer View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 11:13am
I tested the retr0bright on my CPS QSound Punisher case in june ~ july 2018, and that worked a bit.

I used Vanish Oxi-action + hydrogen peroxide 30% + cornflour and put it on the case for 2 h 45 under the sunlight.

You have to let the retr0bright at least 30 min to see the first effects, it is a very slow process.
Body pop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Body pop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by big10p big10p wrote:

Does it work on teeth?

Lol :)
Bods View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 12:27pm
I've put a few things out now

C64 that case is fine but keys yellow

Shoe Phone that is yellowed all over, even insideStern Smile

Dino Cab Front, only yellow parts are area's not covered with bezel or CP, half shoe done in Peroxide other nothing, dino front in Peroxide too and see what happens to it all

Yesterday I spent 2 hours cleaning a chair seat and back, left it out in sun all day to dry, when I put it in shed last night a kind bird had shat on it so had to clean one part again today, must of seen the Tennis ball green coloured seat and thought that'll doApprove

Edited by Bods - 14 May 2019 at 12:30pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic