ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Tech, Maintenance & Repairs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Hantarex MTC900/E

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldiGit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hantarex MTC900/E
    Posted: 20 Nov 2016 at 1:39pm
Does anybody know where I can get a horizontal drive transformer (TH2) for a Hantarex MTC 900/E
Monitor (Part Number 28010080). New or 2nd hand...??? Confused
tb2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2016 at 1:58pm
No not available from what I've found, only second hand if you can find one! I'm looking at getting it reproduced by one of those custom transformer companies but I never seem to get around to it!
big10p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2016 at 1:59pm
I have an old 900/e chassis I've started breaking for parts. You're welcome the the TH2 if you want it, but I have no idea if it's a worker, or not.
BaldiGit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldiGit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2016 at 2:21pm
Thanks big10p, I'll take you up on that. Thumbs Up

tb2000 I have made enquiries at Majestic transformers. I'll let you know what they say.
big10p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2016 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by BaldiGit BaldiGit wrote:

Thanks big10p, I'll take you up on that. Thumbs Up
No probs, mate. Wink PM reply sent.
RGP View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Meeter & Greeter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RGP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2016 at 6:33pm
I may have a couple of these i've pulled out of cracked, not-worth-repairing chassis.  

I know Gunblade has had the unfortunate task of rewinding a couple by hand in the past.

If you get a magnifier out you will find the hair-width wire from the coil has broken probably near the coil itself, it is just about ok to unwind 1/4 or 1/2 of one turn to reconnect it but its micro surgery level.

Getting them reproduced shouldn't be that hard and the ratio should be derivable via maths based on the resistance of each coil.

Parts for fixin' and stuff for sale in our webstore here
BaldiGit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldiGit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2016 at 6:53pm
Thanks for the offer. I might take you up on that if 'big10p's doesn't work out.Thumbs Up

If I can't get one, I am considering a rewind it by hand (plus cordless drill if I can count that fast). In my youth I did some part time work at a transformer factory and this, (appart from the fine wire) looks like one of the easier ones. No laminations, one primary and secondary with no centre tap, plus round one bobbin.

Unfortunately the wire has dissapeared into the insulation on mine. But if I unwind the outer winding and remove the insulation I might be able to find it I suppose. Smile
david_orton_2000 View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
Green Mario

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote david_orton_2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2016 at 5:14pm
Hey there,

If this is the same as the one on the 900, i have some pcbs I could sell you...
i.e. ones often found in Tron.
If you have the resistance measurements for me to test in advance, please supply them. :-)

Cheers,
DaveO.

BaldiGit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldiGit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2016 at 1:33pm
Well I've managed to procure a 2nd hand TH2 transformer (thanks again big10p) that had met the same fate. But the wires where still evident and I managed to re solder them back. That gave me a primary resistance of around 2M ohm (not sure if that's right.... but it was open circuit before). And a secondary of about 0.4 ohms. I have carefully changed all the capacitors, checked and double checked values and orientation. And was expecting good things to happen when plugged back in....... ?? But it was just the same ??.
Does anyone have a FAQ or flow chart of a repair sequence? There are plenty of test points on the board. But without knowing what to expect, they're useless.

Also.... I'm initially testing it without a video signal. Looking for neck glow and static on the screen. This isn't one of those monitors with a spot killer/stand by function is it...???
gunblade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gunblade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2016 at 2:00pm
70 ohms one side and about 1 ohm the other
PaulSwan View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
ZZZ

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulSwan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2016 at 4:48pm
This transformer is also used on the MTC-90 "MT" daughter board as an alternative source.
Paul.
BaldiGit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldiGit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2016 at 7:19pm
Hmm.... If that's is correct. I still havent repaired TH2 Ermm.....!!!
gunblade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gunblade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2016 at 11:02pm
it is correct,i have repaired hundreds of them
big10p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 2:19pm
Sorry to hear you didn't have any luck with the transformer, Gary. Was the neck board any use? If you can find a manual online, I think they should tell you what the test points are for.
BaldiGit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldiGit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 6:14pm
The neck board looks great, but I was going to get the monitor working first then swap it. Just incase I added to my problems.... I have a manual that gives me a circuit and a brief description. But no FAQ or fault finding flow chart Cry.

But now at least I have 2 TH2's. So I should be able to count the windings off and rewind with new wire. Thumbs Up
BaldiGit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldiGit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 7:40pm
gunblade.. You don't know how many turns the fine wire is? I'm just disecting my old one and the outer winding is 21 3/4 turns. But that's the easy one....... Confused
BaldiGit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldiGit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2016 at 1:45pm
Well I've removed the outer winding and soaked the coil in thinners. Which has loosend the shellac varnish and allowed me to unwind the insulation tape.
I have found the 2 ends of the coil and got a resistance of 74.5? which is in the ball park. I'll extend these ends with something a bit chunkier and I've ordered some HT winding insulation tape. Plus I have some insulating varnish in stock.

So hopefully that'll do it. Thumbs Up
gunblade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gunblade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2016 at 3:01pm
yep 75 ohms is correct
BaldiGit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldiGit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2016 at 4:32pm
Thanks Gunblade. Thumbs Up
BaldiGit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldiGit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 7:36pm
Transformer all repaired, insulated and re-wound. I have 75 ohms one side and 0.7 ohms the other. Between the windings and to the frame is open circuit as would be expected unless I had a short.

But still the monitor is dead Ouch.......

Any ideas chaps????
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic