ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Arcade > General Arcade Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Have I missed anything

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Have I missed anything
    Posted: 29 Nov 2019 at 4:08pm
Hello

Always wonder what I've missed, anything good while I've been busy?

Had to get on the car again, main HR-V this time failed MOT, This Country and Rust is such a pain. Basically the end of sills rusting away which is near Suspension mount so affecting structure, 2 weeks to sort it out so had to get busy, turned out to be worse than I thought, ended up cutting out over a foot, then going up towards mountings and into inner arch, got it done in time just, very time consuming doing templates in card, then the metal, pain when car in front drive and tools in shed in back garden, would be bliss to have a garage with the car and tools in as well as keeping the rust away for longer

After that I thought I'd get back to finishing the Mod I was doing, took out the knackered engine it had when I bought it a couple of years or so, run low or no oil, dropped in the Civic 1.5L engine which has VTEC-E, it's Lean Burn engine that was returning 50mpg in the Civic, pretty good for a 90's Petrol. I did consider buying the Civic but the Aerodeck, I prefer the HR-V though as I can fit quite a few arcade machines in it, civic has less gap between suspension struts, rear seat base has to fold behind other seats before back goes down so loose length and sloping tailgate more again, so thought I'd keep HR-V and improve fuel economy, after loads of wiring alterations, brackets for drive shaft, the engine swap went well, only to find when driving to work the lean burn light didn't stay on in 5th gear till 3500rpm like it should, went off like it was in 3rd or 4th at 2500rpm so I've been trying to mod the gearbox and swap 5th for longer one like civic gearbox had, after months of trying to find what gears are inside this one, turns out HR-V although being D Series, inside it seems to be H Series Prelude, lots have done same mod in those and use gears from Accord, only ones have longer gearing are mostly in USA, odd in Japan and one in Europe and managed to find gearbox on ebay, in spain, once I'd got it, then have one ground down to fit else bearings don't go on.

Got that sorted so was time to take out gearbox, take it apart and swap both 5th gears so thought I'd get it done late sept before crap weather, just got in back in on the day they said rain late afternoon, then had to take engine hoist apart in rain, that slipped and trapped my finger while rushing, now nail had half come away after the blister gone down, don't look like it's gonna grow back

Was happy to get it back in and working as I've never touched Gearbox before, now the lean burn works again to 3500rpm like in Civic, not getting as high mpg as I was hoping though, 43/44 thought I might get 47/48 but 4WD don't help. I managed 43 from a Standard 2WD 3dr HR-V I took to Holland when picking up Thunderblade deluxe. Changing spark plugs, rotor arm, dizzy cap makes no difference, tried Super Unleaded, no better either so all a waste of time, still a lot better than the 36-38 from Standard one though

So it was good to get that finally finished. I've been working on some Solar projects though that's not going to plan, don't help with hardly any days of sun and while it's been raining for last week I'm working on a pusher machine that needs finishing, so been pretty busy

Nice to see a few other busy with machine projects
WANTED! Buggy Boy Junior Rear Seat. Continental Circus Cockpit Lower Rear Light Plexi and more space
Purity View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2019 at 5:46pm
hey bods good to see you back fella
Hurray Banana View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurray Banana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2019 at 6:42pm
No
Bods View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2019 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by Hurray Banana Hurray Banana wrote:

No

That's alright thenLOL always got visions of the mega find on the century and a rare cab I would of liked in the lot, which isn't a bad thing when it doesn't happen as no space anyway

Cheers Ben, looking forward to seeing your paperboy coming togetherSmile
WANTED! Buggy Boy Junior Rear Seat. Continental Circus Cockpit Lower Rear Light Plexi and more space
frothmeister View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frothmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2019 at 10:27pm
Welcome back BodsThumbs Up,

Just read your post in the Champ Sprint thread. I'm guessing you missed members offering 3k for a Paperboy cab! (probably will be about the going rate now)

Oh, and just about every other cab has seemingly gone up in value by another 25%-50% in about the last 6 months.

Edited by frothmeister - 29 Nov 2019 at 10:28pm
stevebm1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevebm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2019 at 8:20am
have you missed anything?

Only the usual bitching and moaning about prices,and the odd member going off on a rant,so nothing new reallyLOL
====WANTED====
LATE 70'S/EARLY 80'S BALLY PINBALL PROJECT
karlcdoe View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

2 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karlcdoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2019 at 2:29pm

>Always wonder what I've missed, anything good while I've been busy?

Harldy missed a thing... bar a few good mini meets. Maybe the odd anorak duel on the forum and a few semi bargains in the FS section but if this was  music then it would be slim pickens LOL

>This Country and Rust is such a pain.

No argument there, and always worse than you thought...  been replacing a lot of rusty metal on a car Ive had standing around recently -been under cover most of the time too and its still toast . Got anything good to cut sheet metal? Ive got a set of chepo aviation snips a half decent hand metal nibbler and more recently a metal nibbler driven by a power drill (machine mart). Hand nibbler comes in handy most often for non razor sharp and stright cuts, bit of a pain to cut curves with though unless you (1)bend the steel sheet (2)subject blade to side loads.

>I've been working on some Solar projects
do tell..

-K

Bods View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2019 at 9:33am
Originally posted by frothmeister frothmeister wrote:

Welcome back BodsThumbs Up,

Just read your post in the Champ Sprint thread. I'm guessing you missed members offering 3k for a Paperboy cab! (probably will be about the going rate now)

Oh, and just about every other cab has seemingly gone up in value by another 25%-50% in about the last 6 months.

3k nowShocked wow that is crazy

Originally posted by stevebm1 stevebm1 wrote:

have you missed anything?

Only the usual bitching and moaning about prices,and the odd member going off on a rant,so nothing new reallyLOL

To be fair, that's one thing you don't missLOL

Originally posted by karlcdoe karlcdoe wrote:

>Always wonder what I've missed, anything good while I've been busy?

Harldy missed a thing... bar a few good mini meets. Maybe the odd anorak duel on the forum and a few semi bargains in the FS section but if this was  music then it would be slim pickens LOL

>This Country and Rust is such a pain.

No argument there, and always worse than you thought...  been replacing a lot of rusty metal on a car Ive had standing around recently -been under cover most of the time too and its still toast . Got anything good to cut sheet metal? Ive got a set of chepo aviation snips a half decent hand metal nibbler and more recently a metal nibbler driven by a power drill (machine mart). Hand nibbler comes in handy most often for non razor sharp and stright cuts, bit of a pain to cut curves with though unless you (1)bend the steel sheet (2)subject blade to side loads.

>I've been working on some Solar projects
do tell..

-K

RustDead It's so depressing to see things rust away. once there is rust, even if the car was in a garage, the rust just spreads along, you would need it in a heated garage, or at least a damp free one to make a difference. parts of them rust from the inside where you can't see it, specially if area where water gets to it. once the metal is exposed to the elements it will rust, but question is what do you put on it when you have repaired it and cut out the rust, I've bought some Zinga paint as I think Cold Galvanised paint is the option at home doing it yourself.

So annoying when you see the same age cars for sale in Japan and the underside looks like nearly new and they don't even have protection like cars here

So far I've just used stuff like Angle Grinder, Jigsaw, 20ton press and metal folder to make new metal, really need more tools like you say but it's where you put them all.

the shed is fine but I have some Plastic sheds to put more stuff in, seem ok apart from in weather like this, the inside of roof is dripping with condensation so if you have decent tools in the bigger one it would be ruined

Strange thing, I bought some metal sheets of ebay about 5 years ago when I made that Sega Outrun2 top lightbox, left one sheet out just lying flat on stones in garden, been there since with rain, snow on it, it's still solid, rusty on surface but with quite blast of angle grinder with flap disc it was back to decent metal, far as I know it's just steel, parts of car I cut up are rusting away more after a year, don't get it at all, should of had big holes in it buy now but nope

Because of the condensation and damp, I was making more solar dehumidifiers, or trying to.. like the one on Arcade building, mainly for house but also to keep stuff like shed damp free
Bods View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2019 at 9:48am

I was looking at Covers for the car, I wonder thought about it trapping the damp in under the cover

In summer, was working on 2 of the jamma cabs, so put the Gazebo up to work on them under it, was intending to take it down after, still not sold any machines yet so no space to put the stuff back, that was another reason to get the gearbox sorted, 2 of them in bits on a trolley is taking up floor space

The Gazebo is still up till I get some things sold, even that with this cold and sun, the inside roof is dripping with condensation, so even car inside something like that wouldn't be any good, only the wood shed that's got insulation and boarded out and brick buildings insulated don't have condensation and damp, but any building without ventilation would be seriously damp if it's airtight and not heated
Stevros View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2019 at 11:57am
I feel your pain bods, recently had to weld around rear arches on my transit van, making the templates is so time consuming especially around curvatures and corrugated flooring.
I’ve left the rear half of the wood out of the back of the van so the water doesn’t get trapped anymore, also left the plastic step panels off as water gets trapped underneath them all the time.
Hate our weather destroying our cars.
Still have my XR2 to finish and now a fiesta Zetec S on an 02 plate, last of the bubble shape.

Arcade project at the mo is just converting a sega rally sit down to a PS4 racing sim with Logitech G29, pedals and shifter.
WANTED Space invaders PCB Please inbox me!
Liam View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2019 at 6:33pm
I think it's the heavily salted roads that destroy cars over there, not the weather. A good mechanic once told me they saw very little rust here in the days before roads were salted.

Edited by Liam - 01 Dec 2019 at 6:34pm
karlcdoe View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karlcdoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 2:14am
Originally posted by Bods Bods wrote:

I was looking at Covers for the car, I wonder thought about it trapping the damp in under the

Yep. They do. Even the expensive (ish) breathable ones from Hamilton covers, stormforce, etc. They are better than nowt but they seem to last about three years before the tent like waterproofing stops being effective. Even before that time you get condensation everwhere between the cover and the panels. I'd guess they save the bottom end of the car to an extent but make the top end worse. In fact unless you have a rock solid factory paint job you can get strange micro blistering of the paint.

Home spun wood and corrugated plastic car ports seem to do a lot better if you have the space and time to cobble a PoS up. Dry open barns with lots of airflow or a heated garage would be better though :-)

Steel press eh? I have been using g-clamps, vices, bits of 4x2 and heavy hammers :-|

As for other comment on salt on roads, that is a killer but I agree that cars still rust everywhere, especially in box sections where you have burnt the paint off with a welder fitting it...

Oh well, perhaps back to the equally arcane world of pcb repair and playing games Wink

Edited by karlcdoe - 03 Dec 2019 at 2:15am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic