FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

In-depth look at Ridge Racer Full Scale

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group

Please Register!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: In-depth look at Ridge Racer Full Scale
    Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 11:18pm
Hey all, 

I know a few members have seen this video already but I've re-uploaded it as I think it's a pretty interesting video for those unfamiliar with this beast of an arcade.

I was lucky enough to be given the chance to use the machine for an entire day to set some GWR/TG records on and was even more fortunate enough to get a chat with the tech who has taken care of this thing for well over 15 years as well as the Galaxian Theatre they used to have as well (sadly that got scrapped a few years prior) he was kind enough to let me have a look around the car, PCB's and stuff.

The thing is an absolute beast with x3 full System 22 board sets (1 per projector screen) 

It also has a pretty powerful Bose sound system which these days is typically turned down considerably but i expect back in the day they used to make this thing scream those classic RR tunes. Another sad thing is the music player got trashed and has been removed so you can't select tracks anymore. No Rotterdam Nation or other classic tunes on this beast anymore. Cry Just the bog standard 'Ridge Racer' track.

Sadly it had a few issues on the day with steering and the gear selector being completely worn out so only auto was usable. I was told it gets trashed fairly often by people, mostly the MX-5 itself. Soon after I went back home someone smashed the wind screen for example. The projectors had also been swapped out for Epson digital projectors instead of the original CRT projectors which has unfortunately resulted in input lag. But they can now use LED bulbs which keeps the machine going for much cheaper. The tech said they got through a set of traditional bulbs in a month with the old setup which was expensive hence the change. Not sure how many bulbs a 'set' was but anything that helps keep this thing alive is a plus in my book.

Sadly it's probably one of if not the last one left in europe, perhaps even the world. I knew of one other in Barcelona in 2006 but it looked really, really rough even then so i expect it's gone now.

Fingers crossed the 3 PCB's keep going for years to come as Namco have dropped support for System 22 repairs so if they go... we could see the last of this machine. Given that they already scrapped the Galaxian Theatre they had they clearly aren't worried about scrapping such unique machines once they become end of life.

Hope this is interesting to some of you. If you want to see more images I have a few more over on my website: http://ridgeracer.co.uk/ridge-racer-guinness-world-record/

One last fun fact for you guys: did you know that behind this beast is an equally huge transformer as these only came in 120v form direct from Japan. I never got to see it but the tech told me behind the machines projectors and pretty far back into the wall are massive transformers for the beast. Pretty crazy stuff.

chubsta View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 11:27pm
I remember playing that at there Rotunda in Folkestone back in the day, we would have a break at work and all pile in the dome, great fun, shame it is all gone now...
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Please Register!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 11:35pm
Ironically that's how my name came about... 

I used to go to the Rotunda back in the day too but strangely enough I never actually saw the Full Scale machine they had there. From what I know the owner Jimmy Godden had the Full Scale machine moved to Jimmy G's over at Leysdown-on-Sea. It was there for many years then got put into storage. 

I actually called Jimmy G's to see if parts still remained of the machine. I even spoke to a member of staff who remembered the machine being there. Sadly though, after getting in touch with some higher ups I was told they did have the entire thing in storage but it was recently all scrapped.

Such a shame as I was planning to give Arcade Club the details and see if they could save it. 
tb2000 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 11:37pm
That's still an amazing bit of kit. Hopefully it can be saved by someone when they do eventually give up on it (can never understand the ones who just scrap stuff - they know the internet exists and it'd take two minutes to see if there's an interested community!) There must still be PCB sets to be found and made available somewhere in the world! The bulbs for the pre-led type projectors would have been UHP lamps. Depends on the projector, but they were about £60 at least for a decent brand one (from eBay that is, triple that price at least for a manufacturer original) so you're looking at getting on for £200 a set. I'd stick CRT projectors back in if it was me, they're still about! They last better than a LCD/DLP projector lamp and there's no lag either!
John Bennett View Drop Down

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 11:43pm
Don’t depress me. I’ve made enquiries and they weren’t selling it, but it is reaching the end of it’s life. The ROMs are t even dumped properly, so, right now, when it’s gone, it really is gone.
http://www.philwip.com -sibling 'fix-off' (I’m losing by miles).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 11:45pm
If someone could find and dump the triple-screen ridge racer, then that’s be almost as fantastic too, as that’s undumped.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Please Register!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 11:47pm
Quote That's still an amazing bit of kit. Hopefully it can be saved by someone when they do eventually give up on it (can never understand the ones who just scrap stuff - they know the internet exists and it'd take two minutes to see if there's an interested community!)

It really is isn't it? At the start of the video that is my first time seeing the machine.. i was like Shocked it's seriously impressive even today. I hope it gets saved too once that day comes. I'm pretty sure the System 22 board sets are just normal boards out of Ridge Racer DLX/Upright cabs but they just run the RR Full Scale ROM's which can be swapped out so it could be saved with a spare PCB set but question is.. would the owners bother at this point.

The tech told me Namco already had to service one of the PCB's years ago for the no 3D issue.

Quote The bulbs for the pre-led type projectors would have been UHP lamps. Depends on the projector, but they were about £60 at least for a decent brand one (from eBay that is, triple that price at least for a manufacturer original) so you're looking at getting on for £200 a set. I'd stick CRT projectors back in if it was me, they're still about! They last better than a LCD/DLP projector lamp and there's no lag either!

Oh wow! that makes sense then. I'm with you though I would go CRT too. I noticed it as soon as i touched the controls. The input lag is pretty bad unfortunately. Where the original CRT projectors lived are huge windows and boxes but now they just have these little Epson projectors in that massive space. It's kinda sad really but as i say if it keeps the machine alive I'm all for it.

Quote Don’t depress me. I’ve made enquiries and they weren’t selling it, but it is reaching the end of it’s life. The ROMs are t even dumped properly, so, right now, when it’s gone, it really is gone.

Did you really?! That's interesting... what did they say aside from they weren't selling? Did they give any indication of plans for the machine in the future?

Indeed the current ROM's dumped have serious texture issues. 

Quote If someone could find and dump the triple-screen ridge racer, then that’s be almost as fantastic too, as that’s undumped.

I'm yet to see one of those for real period... they are insanely rare these days. They also had 3 PCB's so I expect they got scrapped a lot once they went wrong too. I don't think they sold very well though in the first place hence not seeing many.

Edited by rotunda - 09 Jul 2019 at 11:53pm
tb2000 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 11:55pm
Originally posted by John Bennett John Bennett wrote:

If someone could find and dump the triple-screen ridge racer, then that’s be almost as fantastic too, as that’s undumped.
Yeah if this or one of those could be dumped properly that at least would be something. Hopefully then it will be eventually emulated properly in Mame or whatever. Would need quite a powerful PC to run three copies of the system 22 emulation and getting them linked together but it must be possible I'd have thought.

Edited by tb2000 - 10 Jul 2019 at 12:00am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 11:56pm
For what’s it’s worth, I’m fairly sure any 3-screen is 3 copies of the same PCB, so just need one dumped. I think they dumped the program ROMs for full scale, but not the GFX (hence someone’s pasted in standard GFX ROMs).
Triple screen ‘regular’ is not dumped right at all :-(. I think it’s just standard ROMs mislabelled.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Please Register!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 12:04am
I would guess all 3 PCB's in both the 3 screen model and full scale have the full rom sets but some how they get it to run left, middle and right on each screen.

Edit: After looking at the MAME dumps... this doesn't look complete. 

The Full Scale machine has more to the left and right so maybe each PCB has textures for the right, middle and left portions of the screen? 

If that is the case... The current MAME dump is pretty pointless and needs updating badly.

Edit 2: Yep I'm correct... They are missing the left and right sides on the MAME dump as you can see below.

So I guess each PCB has separate ROM/texture data for each screen and they work in sync? That's pretty crazy stuff for 1993 in my opinion. I would guess that is why they got currupt textures too as they only dumped 1 of the 3 PCB's thinking they all have the same data on each board set.

It would make sense as I do recall the textures being much higher resolution and more detailed vs my own arcade cabinet. Even on the much, much larger projector screens the cars look a lot better than a DLX or upright cab. 

Edited by rotunda - 10 Jul 2019 at 12:12am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 12:13am
It’s jumpers to set whether the board is centre, left or right. They then talk over RS232 with the centre telling the other two where to ‘look’. Just like Driver’s Eyes.

I started in trying to get it to work in MAME, but got sidetracked and lack-of-ability stopped me

So there’s enough to do 3 screens (with some emulation effort) but sadly the actual GFX ROMs differ for Full Scale (got an MX-5 in there and different menus) and that ain’t dumped, so you’re viewing Full Scale program ROMs running small-Scale GFX ROMs and it’s all messed up.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Please Register!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 12:22am
Ahhh ok, so each board set would have the same data on then? So technically all you really need is 1 working for a full dump then tell MAME some how the jumper settings?

Can you imagine Ridge Racer Full Scale fully dumped and played on MAME on a 4k TV or something..? It would look pretty awesome! Thumbs Up

Edited by rotunda - 10 Jul 2019 at 12:22am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 12:33am
Yep, pretty sure we just need one board dumped. I think I’ve even tricked one into being a ‘left’ rather than a centre.

The emulation would need updating to sort the comms, but that’s do-able, even if I have to get help

But with one Full Scale left and no sign of any triple-screens, it’s a tad worrying that we may never get the GFX ROMs unsoldered and dumped.

Triple screen Ridge Racer would be a thing of wonder, even if just emulated.
robotech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robotech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 12:54am
Cool being able to see the insides of the machine and mx5
Never seen a triple screen ridge racer in the wild
Daytonaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa lets go away
PhilT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 9:28am
This bring back memories! Got to have a go or two in one of these back way back when; Meadowhall shopping centre when it still had an arcade upstairs in the Oasis food hall. Long gone now, replaced with me-too chain food outlets (boring..) but even back then think it was £3 a go. 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Please Register!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 9:30am
The 3 monitor version is a beast. These are literally the only 2 pictures I've ever seen of one.

I've seen game play also and it differs slightly from the Full Scale machine. The menus and attract mode are the typical DLX version but once you get in the game its the Full Scale game play minus the MX-5 car model.

While on the subject, check out this Australian variant of Ridge Racer Full Scale.

I wonder if that thing is still around. I would love to document just how many of these are left in the world. My guess is not many at all.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by rotunda rotunda wrote:

Did you really?! That's interesting... what did they say aside from they weren't selling? Did they give any indication of plans for the machine in the future

Sorry, I missed this yesterday.
It was the leisure company who owned it. They said it was in good working order and had no intention to sell it.

I think I tried again when I heard the building it is in was being closed for renovations, but got no response.

(not that I'd have anywhere to set it up , just don't ever want it scrapped).
J69 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 12:23pm
I played one on Las Ramblas in Barcelona in 2002
Markitanis View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Markitanis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 12:41pm
They had one of these in namco station london near the london eye

Edited by Markitanis - 10 Jul 2019 at 12:42pm
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Please Register!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 3:45pm
Quote It was the leisure company who owned it. They said it was in good working order and had no intention to sell it.

I think I tried again when I heard the building it is in was being closed for renovations, but got no response.

(not that I'd have anywhere to set it up , just don't ever want it scrapped).

Thats the one yeah.. I remember dealing with them first as they actually own the machine and rent it out to Blackpool Pleasure Beach. It's good to hear them say it is in good working order in their eyes though. I hope they plan to keep it for many years to come. 

I hear you.. I was chasing one which was in storage at Jimmy G's and once i finally got hold of the higher ups they told me it was recently scrapped. A complete unit in storage including the car all gone. Such a shame but like you say... where would you ever put one if you actually got one haha. I'd also wonder how much you would have to pay for one as I believe they were around £250,000 back in 1993. 

If anyone were to save it and have a home for it I guess it would be Arcade Club. 

Quote I played one on Las Ramblas in Barcelona in 2002

Interesting... I saw a video of one in Barcelona in 2006 but i never knew the actual place it was called. Might look into it although as i said earlier in the thread when i saw it last it looked really rough so over 10 years later I'd be very surprised if it's still there.

Quote They had one of these in namco station london near the london eye

Heard about this one too but that's long gone. 

I visited Namco Station a few months ago and all they had was a large Pac Man/Galaxian machine and Mario Kart / Outrun SP drivers. 

They also had these.. which i really, really want!

I was kinda sad to see not much actual Namco stuff at Namco Station. I bet back in the day this place was so awesome! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
  Share Topic