ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Arcade > General Arcade Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

J+ is closing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
mr_ppp View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr_ppp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 9:18am
Originally posted by bomjac bomjac wrote:

Originally posted by mr_ppp mr_ppp wrote:

Sad to see J+ go as it was the first site I joined on and no offence but personally just found a more comfortable fit over there when I first started.

I do keep forgetting its gone and jumping onto it every other day before cursing! I also had a few topics there which I didn't replicate here so they are now lost to the ether including my stalled EC Elite rebuild

I don't know how much longer I'll be part of this scene as I pretty much sold my entire collection of PCBS whilst out of work for a year so not much keeping me in at this point but wanted to stick my head up and say hello to all whether I know you from J+ or UKVAC initially :)

Good to see you still around - it's been a while!.

There were clear offers to maintain the site. The very least he could have done is deal with them, and pass the archive to someone to maintain. 10 years+ of information lost. Whatever the background story, there is simply no moral justification for that.

Even of by some miracle he decides to bring it back in some form or other, the ownet, the site and the brand are now damaged goods.

Dead to the retro arcade community.

Cheers bud, been a while - thats for sure. Enjoyed our chats! Nowadays in regards arcade related things I tend to use emulation for my fix and plan to attend events and then have to cancel last minute due to lack of money - think last time I made it to an event was 2013 Replay!

I always enjoyed chatting to Julian and he was always passionate about the hobby, gave me some great advice when I was starting up in the 'scene' and obviously sold me his EC Elite as well. I can understand he didn't want the site to change at all but a big shame its just gone like a snap of Thanos's fingers! I was originally friends with him on Facebook but he disappeared off my list some time ago - wonder now if it co-incided with my account creation here and posts after - guess I'll never know. 

I'll probably lurk around from time to time - my interests now involve consoles and computers a lot more - thankfully I still have a healthy collection of those :)
Purity View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by _Matt_ _Matt_ wrote:

Originally posted by Monstermug Monstermug wrote:

i dont get all the Julian bashing posts. give the guy some credit. judge a guy for what he has done and not what he hasnt. he clearly has expressed wanting to walk away years ago but hanged on to it as long as he could. maybe he has his reasons just to pull the plug. im gonna give him the benefit of the doubt. just my piece of the cake.

I agree, and as we all know there is often more to things than meet the eye and none of us know all the facts.

I'm not going to say too much more on this now, because I would imagine that if Julian is reading it, it will be perceived negatively as an attempt at "being the biggest keyboard warrior in the arcade community", as he once called me.

I'm sure Julian has his reasons for pulling the plug so quickly, no doubt about that, but why not be open about it as much as you can and tell your users those reasons?

Something like "Look guys I'm pulling the plug on Friday because of x, y, z, but don't worry I have copies of the database/files that I'll give person x access too so you can get data off it"

I agree that he had previously expressed a desire to walk away and kudos to him for hanging on, but what does that matter now, if the threads you guys have created since that point are now dust?  Is that acting in the interests of the forums users?

Those people that sent him a PM - did you actually get any response?

I think with the situation as it is, it is very hard to give someone the benefit of the doubt?

Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 6:17pm
I've heard nothing in response no.

Sure if the domain or server hosting was expiring in a matter of days that would explain the swift shutdown, as would a cease and desist letter from the makers of the pandora's box or something.

As it stands the community is left guessing, until we give up and forget entirely.

Wanted: - PCBs: Rainbow Islands, Rolling Thunder, Original Wonderboy PCB
- Parts needed: Naomi non-swivel castor / wheel, coin mech metal clip for Dino King Door
John Bennett View Drop Down

2 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by Flinnster Flinnster wrote:

as would a cease and desist letter from the makers of the pandora's box or something.

That would be the ultimate example of throwing stones from a glass house !
http://www.philwip.com -sibling 'fix-off'.
Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 6:41pm
Indeed, yeah Smile

- Parts needed: Naomi non-swivel castor / wheel, coin mech metal clip for Dino King Door
stevebm1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevebm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 6:51pm
I doubt very much it shutdown due to chinese pirates threats
====WANTED====
Vector pinball plastics
Asure View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Asure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 7:04pm
Yeah you can put that Pandora stuff to rest. Most sellers were more then happy to work with me & 'RedboX' who did the initial 'adding more games' and porting cool stuf (redbox) and we never had any issues. In the end it was more of a support section for those things, with links to original images and people backing up sd cards etc. 
penrhos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penrhos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 7:43pm
One possible reason could be bandwidth costs.

If someone was scraping the entire site J+ would have burnt through any monthly allowance on its data hosting plan pretty quickly.
ArcadeHacker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ArcadeHacker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 10:56pm
In Spain we had a similar issue with Retrovicio just a couple of years ago, the owner closed down the site and forum and refused to cooperate with preservation despite the multiple offers. A ton of user generated content around arcade went down with it. 

One word: disgust
Looking for the following board: Taito Chack'n Pop
Simon Belmont View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon Belmont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 9:02pm
Just found out today that J+ is really gone.  I really thought it was down for maintenance. 

RIP Disapprove
Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 11:00pm
I'm afraid so. Hopefully we can continue what was abruptly ended there, on here.

RaveN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RaveN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 12:34am
Originally posted by penrhos penrhos wrote:

One possible reason could be bandwidth costs.

If someone was scraping the entire site J+ would have burnt through any monthly allowance on its data hosting plan pretty quickly.

Only if you have a bad hosting deal.
I work for an ISP and would happily host J+ (or UKVAC) for free. Scraping text is peanuts, and I'm assuming the majority of the photos are photobucket, and long gone anyway.
He's gone, fair play.  I never knew the guy myself. I'm sure he's not super evil, but probably doesn't like certain people due to his own personal past experiences.
Maybe he became a slight megalomaniac, which is only natural with a bit of forum power, which would naturally make you put conditions on a sale or transfer of the database. I don't know either way, or care, so I'll leave the guy in peace.

This is likely to change very soon, but I personally always felt like UKVAC was more for the technical side of traditional Arcade collecting. So conversations like mame conversions, and the Pandora mod forums scare me slightly, but we'll see.
Welcome to bonus stage.
Hojo Norem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hojo Norem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 9:06pm
Lurker and sporadic J+ poster here.  Out of habit I'm still hitting my bookmark for J+ and a daily basis.  Recently it's just been timing out but tonight I got something else:

Not Found

The requested URL /forum/active_topics.asp was not found on this server.

Apache/2.4.29 (Ubuntu) Server at www.jammaplus.co.uk Port 80

Something is alive there it seems.  www.jammaplus.co.uk is just a blank page...

tin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 9:38pm
Yep, I keep clicking my bookmark links as well - stupid habit I guess - and saw the same thing. Now it's pointing at something else I guess.

(edit) apparently not. Just changes on the host it's on then.

Edited by tin - 16 Jun 2018 at 9:48pm
This is your crew chief // Yeah, the course is really tough // But it's a beautiful day // So good luck!
ltearle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ltearle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 9:14am
I hope he closes the J+ Patreon... only 11 people giving money to nothing

https://www.patreon.com/jammaplus/overview

Edited by ltearle - 17 Jun 2018 at 9:16am
NKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 10:06am
Originally posted by ltearle ltearle wrote:

I hope he closes the J+ Patreon... only 11 people giving money to nothing

https://www.patreon.com/jammaplus/overview

First time I've seen that
Neokidgeo
bones View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 3:27pm
Sometimes when someone refers to the costs of running something,it may have nothing to do with the financial implications. In reality we could all wake up one day and realise that what was once a hobby has totally consumed us to the detriment of all else. I know many fathers who worked every hour a available hour to provide for a family that they never really saw properly and when things go wrong you naturally apportion blame to the things that kept you apart. I'm not saying this is the case with Julian but he dedicated a lot of time to j+ and it is possible that enough was enough. Maybe handing the site over, to him felt like giving your baby up for adoption to your neighbour, for some people out of sight and out of mind is the only way. If any of you have ever been managers could you just go back to just being an employee?
It could be that if j+ was still going,run by others the temptation of getting involved again would be too much. I don't know Julian's status but I've hit the big 50 and have lost many friends far too young,the last 10 years have flown, maybe just maybe Julian has experienced a dawn of realisation and decided to sever all links, I just wish him the best
jengineer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jengineer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 5:30pm
good post above,
ooooooh if I had the space (and the money) I'd have that...
virtvic View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Cabaret King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote virtvic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 5:49pm
Quote - Maybe handing the site over, to him felt like giving your baby up for adoption to your neighbour, for some people out of sight and out of mind is the only way.

Or, just destroy your baby, rather than giving it up for adoption?

I've seen enough of this 'sticking up for Julian' lately.  He and Aran RUINED Jamma+ over the years, with their tyrannical running of that site. I was told of his negative comments on the recent Revival show, which is EXACTLY what the arcade community needs. He and the rest of the Jamma+ staff should have been promoting it (and all the other shows and meets) to the highest degree and, you know, maybe attending something now and again?

I've been witness to them bitching and whining about the people who run this place, while I have NEVER heard any of the staff on here have a go at J+

I'm not happy that J+ is gone, for the hundreds of users who used and enjoyed that forum, but I believe they will find this place much more accomodating, fun and informative.

THE PENCE IS MIGHTIER THAN THE SWORD!

Check out the podcast

http://tenpencearcade.co.uk
big10p View Drop Down

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2018 at 5:56pm
Whatever - it's gone. Suck it up. I suspect that the owner has certain stresses going on in his life at the mo, and decided to burn J+ down, as some kind of release - just speculating, though (from personal experiences).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>
  Share Topic