ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Tech, Maintenance & Repairs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

JVS Driving Switcher (using Pi)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
corn View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote corn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: JVS Driving Switcher (using Pi)
    Posted: 10 Dec 2014 at 10:50pm
I've finally had some spare time to mess around with my Pi and the onboard GPIO. 

Inspired by this thread: http://www.ukvac.com/forum/sega-jvs-driving-control-switcher-prototype_topic330617.html I figured it should be reasonably straightforward to get the Pi to remap the Shifter output (for Driving Games) based on the game selected.

I've used the Naopi (http://www.e-venturi.com/jamma/?page_id=1073) code to test with and so far (having tested Crazy Taxi and Jambo Safari) it seems to work fine. I'll have a go at modifying the PiForceTools scripts at some point.

Basically, I've wired up 4 Opto Isolators, plugged the Shifter into the PI and then wired the output of the opto-isolators to the Naomi I/O.

Unfortunately, all of my Cabs are in the Garage so won't be fired up until Spring. Pics below are just with an I/O setup on the dining room table:

I'll put some updates here with any progress. Planning on making another using a single chip with 4 opto-isolators on (should be neater). Also need to test with my Chihiro/Naomi2 at some point.

Looking promising though!
silverfox0786 View Drop Down
Beware the Hillman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverfox0786 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2014 at 11:57pm
ah cool so you finally got round to it then
devtty0 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote devtty0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2014 at 10:15am
nice - that looks really handy - once you get it working i'd def be interested in seeing the build instructions - and details on the various pinout mappings if you them about as well, cheers!

Thumbs Up
corn View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2014 at 11:23am
Originally posted by devtty0 devtty0 wrote:

nice - that looks really handy - once you get it working i'd def be interested in seeing the build instructions - and details on the various pinout mappings if you them about as well, cheers!

Thumbs Up

Cheers

More than happy to share some build instructions/code once its a little neater.
Outrun2 View Drop Down
User
User
Colonel Outrun

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outrun2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2014 at 6:32pm
Very interesting mate, I'd love to have a solution for the shifter as I like to play Crazy Taxi, CT Hi Roller, 18 Wheeler, Club Kart as well as OR2 in my single cab, but it's a pain having to remap the pins.

Please keep us posted on any progress Thumbs Up
Would like:
No more cabs.. please!!
corn View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2014 at 8:26pm
If anyone has a list of all of the pinouts for the Naomi/Chihiro/Triforce Driving games to hand that would be good. I've pulled together the following from various sources, I'm hoping they are correct:

Pin 17: OR2 Start, Route 66 Start, Club Kart Start, Jambo Start
Pin 18:
Pin 19:
Pin 20:
Pin 21:
Pin 22: 18 Wheeler Shift Left ?
Pin 23: CT Up
Pin 24: Jambo Down, OR2 Up, ID Up, Route 66 Drive, 18 Wheeler Up
Pin 25: CT Down, OR2 View, ID View, Route 66 V/R
Pin 26: Jambo Up, OR2 Down, ID Down, Route 66 Reverse, 18 Wheeler Down
Pin 27: Route 66 Horn
Pin 28:
Pin 29: Route 66 Wipers
Pin 30:
Pin 31: Route 66 Mic
corn View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2014 at 9:28pm
I've now tested with Crazy Taxi, Jambo Safari, King of Route 66 and Initial D and they all seemed to work fine. I've only tested using the "Input Test" in the test menu as I've no working cab indoors to test with at the moment.

I couldn't get 18 Wheeler to boot ... "Game not acceptable by Main board". Anyone had any luck netbooting this? I'm assuming I probably need a more up to date BIOS.

I'll test with my Chihiro once my now repaired monitor chassis is installed (thanks one again Gunblade)!

Thinking about adding and additional input to cover the "view" or "jump" buttons. Will have a look at the pinouts and see if it is feasible.

silverfox0786 View Drop Down
Beware the Hillman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverfox0786 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2014 at 9:33pm
18 wheeler works on my Naomi

its loads and starts and in the corner there is a motor IO error message but thats all
corn View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2014 at 9:51pm
Cheers. Just tried it on a Naomi2 Motherboard and it boots fine. The shifter works fine for "L" and "H" (which I assume are Low and High) but obviously the 3rd state "Reverse" isn't catered for.

I've never seen an 18 Wheeler. Would I be right in guessing that the shifter for this doesn't spring back to a centre position like OR2, Initial D, CT etc? If so, I'm guessing this might be hard to cater for with the solution I am working on :-(
Outrun2 View Drop Down
User
User
Colonel Outrun

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outrun2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2014 at 12:40pm
Yes, the 18 Wheeler shifter slots into gear (Low/High/Reverse) and stays there.

Although the error about motor board appears it doesn't affect the game, however I've never managed to get KoR66 to run right in my initialD cab - you get FFB, but the steering is too erratic to play as it's either fully on one way or the other Unhappy
Would like:
No more cabs.. please!!
Setch View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
The nice admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Setch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2014 at 1:10pm
while I love this you do know this can be achieved with a switch that costs less than £2

Wanted:
Model 2 Video Board, Model 3 Racing ROM Boards.
Red Sega Sitdown Plastics
corn View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2014 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by Setch Setch wrote:

while I love this you do know this can be achieved with a switch that costs less than £2

Yep, saw your original post and stole your idea Smile  

I couldn't get my head around how to wire that beast up so figured I go the easy route (for me) and get the Pi to do it instead!

Have to say, I think your solution is probably more elegant. 

flashpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flashpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2016 at 11:36am
I know this is kinda late but do you have plans for your setup?
corn View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2016 at 11:17pm
Originally posted by flashpc flashpc wrote:

I know this is kinda late but do you have plans for your setup?

I might get around to making up a decent solution one day. Finding the right connectors is the biggest pain (don't want to butcher any wiring in my cab). 
bbz149 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbz149 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2020 at 11:54pm
Old post I know Big smile but did you give up in the end?
Devil_Mish View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devil_Mish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 5:49am
I'd also be interested! I was searching for this last night and excluding this one and the one from Setch back 8 years ago, there doesn't seem to be a publicly available solution
corn View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 11:09am
Its still sat in my cupboard, unfinished. It worked, just needs integrating into a cab properly. 

Things have moved on a bit too, the pi4 now emulates Naomi and there is a JVS emulator by BobDilley out there too. Would be great to put a pi in an empty Naomi case, integrate the JVS code and the shifter code. I have a KOR66 and a spare club kart dash that I've started to tart up. I'll try and resurrect the switcher and see if I can finally get it finished up. Will update here if I do.
Wanted: Crazy Taxi base artwork
Fantazia2 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fantazia2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 11:44am
I had an idea for a way to get this working with a PCDuino (Like a Pi but with arduino built in) board but have now sold all by Naomi Netboot stuff so didnt get round to it.

Basically it would have been an all in one board doing netboot, JVS I/O and card reader for initial D.  I wasnt planning on doing multi-boot but instead would have had a different usb stick or sd card for each game with the rom, a config file for controls and card reader files on it. 

The plan was to wire the controls to the Arduino part of the PCDuino and then also wire in a TTL to RS422 converter to connect to the Naomi instead of the JVS I/O, then also have a USB to RS232 for the card reader connection.

All the information for doing it is out there it just needs amalgamating into a single device.
devtty0 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote devtty0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 11:47am
OOhh.. does the PI4 run Naomi games ok? Demul seems to be pretty resource intensive, wouldnt have thought that the Pi was powerful enough? 
wanted :
sega model 3 racing games
namco system 22 racing games
model 3 to naomi psu adapter
bbz149 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbz149 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 7:44am
Originally posted by devtty0 devtty0 wrote:

OOhh.. does the PI4 run Naomi games ok? Demul seems to be pretty resource intensive, wouldnt have thought that the Pi was powerful enough? 
Dont think he meant to run the Games! he means to do the switching Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic