Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Tech, Maintenance & Repairs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Konami GTi Club Twin

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BazWhite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Konami GTi Club Twin
    Posted: 10 Mar 2019 at 11:00pm
Hi Guys

I've just acquired a GTi twin unit that is in need of some love. 

I've been working on it today (I only got it this week) and i have found the following:

MONITORS
There are 2 different monitors. The original one doesn't work & the there is a Nanao 110V unit in there too with a dropping transformer for the other side. Ive removed the chassis and will send this to AK Amusements for repair.

Its a pity that they are different though Cry

POWER
The 3 x PSU units in each of the yellow power boxes have gone and there is a JAMMA PSU in one side and a HAPP unit in the other. I've checked the voltages and it seems to be giving a good 5V and 12V ...
The Amperage for the 5V is 16A on the JAMMA one and 20A on the HAPP.
So is this an issue??

GAMEBOARDS
I am pretty sure that I have one good gameboard - its on the side with the non-working monitor so i can see whats happening but it boots up after turning the wheels and makes all if the right attract noises.
The other side I've stripped down as there was a broken JAMMA connector and someone had soldered the wires directly to the board.. eek

I have de-soldered the wired and ordered a new JAMMA connector and will get this swapped out when it arrives and hope for the best. The guy said it did work.!

So, Is the PSU set up OK? The original PSU units I hear tend to fail & these cabs dont seem to go for much money so as long as the voltages and Amps are good.. OK? 

Has anyone got any spares? Monitor bits? Gameboards? WHY?

All help and input appreciated.!!

Thanks

Baz
paulcan69 View Drop Down
User
User
Can reburn OTP EPROMs! Fear my power!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulcan69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 8:34am
I have messed with those yellow boxes before
They are so crap
Cheaply made psu's
After all these years they aren't stable anymore
The jamma bodge is wayyy better than they were
But you might be able to rebuild them
Probably bad caps
You need to speak to Simon (unit504) on here
He broke one up and still has some stuff for a twin gti club
All the best
Arcade Otaku name: paulcan69

ebay name: paulcan2
Unit504 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit504 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 9:40am
just sent you a PM :)
BazWhite View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BazWhite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 11:06am
Cheers Paul

That's good to hear that you think the PSU unit will be fine - The voltages look good.

I haven't got the originals so a rebuild is out of the question

I'm chatting with Si so hopefully he can hook me up with some bits 'n' pieces

Baz  

BazWhite View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BazWhite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 10:27am
Hi Guys

UPDATE: 

Unit504 has been great and sorted me out with some spares which arrived yesterday. I worked on the unit last night and I now have 2 working gameboards, which is always a good starting point.!!! 
One of the originals was showing bad IC's (or ROMS) on the initialisation screen. 

I also utilized one of the looms to give me a good JAMMA connector - so the soldered wires are a thing of the past.

WHAT NEXT

Monitors.....

I knew that one of the monitors was not original but i realised yesterday that the non-original one is smaller.. which is a bit rubbish really. 

Unit504 did supply me with an original Well Gardner US5000 monitor chassis board which seems to be serviceable .. 

So, all that I would need is an original screen.. DOES ANYONE HAVE ONE.. ? 

Edited by BazWhite - 18 Mar 2019 at 12:15pm
paulcan69 View Drop Down
User
User
Can reburn OTP EPROMs! Fear my power!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulcan69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 11:17am
Good!!
Pleased your sorting it
Si is a great guy
Arcade Otaku name: paulcan69

ebay name: paulcan2
Unit504 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit504 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 9:17am
Nice one, great to see its moving forward :)

Originally posted by BazWhite BazWhite wrote:

Hi Guys

UPDATE: 

Unit504 has been great and sorted me out with some spares which arrived yesterday. I worked on the unit last night and I now have 2 working gameboards, which is always a good starting point.!!! 
One of the originals was showing bad IC's (or ROMS) on the initialisation screen. 

I also utilized one of the looms to give me a good JAMMA connector - so the soldered wires are a thing of the past.

WHAT NEXT

Monitors.....

I knew that one of the monitors was not original but i realised yesterday that the non-original one is smaller.. which is a bit rubbish really. 

Unit504 did supply me with an original Well Gardner US5000 monitor chassis board which seems to be serviceable .. 

So, all that I would need is an original screen.. DOES ANYONE HAVE ONE.. ? 

So, 

BazWhite View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BazWhite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 11:18am
Monday Morning UPDATE

Hi Guys 

I thought I would just post a quick update on where I am now with the unit after the weekend.

The repaired monitor chassis has been returned from AK and that seems to be working fine on the original screen.

I have now finished around the back of the unit (for a while at least) so spun the unit around then attached the seats.

I removed the shifters and rebuilt with fresh grease then fitted the new HI LOW stickers that I got from Olly to them.. All working and looking good. One of the switches (MT/AUTO) had a broken holder. I didnt have a spare that fitted so a bit of creative zip tying and now all connections and switches are OK.

So there remains two problems now.

1) The wrong sized monitor on the left side. If you can see in the picture the screen on the left side is smaller. Its a 25" as opposed to the standard 27". The chassis also has a few issues as i cannot get a acceptable picture. So it needs to go.

I contacted Mo @ Videotronics and i saw the perfect monitor on his website.. but when talking to him he could not find it and thus assumed that it had already gone.. gutted.!!

Does anyone have a 27" screen that is suitable for this - I do have an original spare chassis board that i could get repaired if i could find on original tube... 

2) The force feedback on the left side is also not working. It doesn't move upon initialization and you have to skip form the test mode to get the game to start. Its also difficult to play with the non working unit connected. I got a motor from Unit504 and also a driver board but after changing these .. its still the same. Maybe its a gameboard or loom issue (as i changed both of these on this side)??
I wil try swapping the gameboards maybe? Ideas?

Anyway, thanks all for your support and help as always.. I will keep you posted.

Isgoed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isgoed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2019 at 5:51pm

It's good to see you got it up and running, and a nice looking cabinet Smile
griffo83x View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote griffo83x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2019 at 6:39pm
Good work fair play 
wanted video wizard/ Ec midi / similar jamma cab :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic