Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Tech, Maintenance & Repairs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Konami - Warzaid / World Combat - Twin Shooter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BazWhite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Konami - Warzaid / World Combat - Twin Shooter
    Posted: 10 Mar 2019 at 11:07pm
Hi Guys 

I've got a twin shooter that i replaced the Viper board on - new & programmed RTC chip.

It kinda works great apart from the 2nd player gun shoots to the extreme right all of the time.
It fires up and down OK - ie how high you are pointing the gun.. but always on the far right of the screen (i can see the flashes)

The 1UP gun is fine.

I've obviously tried to calibrate it and it fires into the middle of the target - but then does the same again.

I've replaced the little light sensor board in the gun as i located a spare - it does the same.

I've looked at the wiring and cannot see anything trapped or shorting out?

Any ideas?

All help appriciated

Baz  

69er View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 9:41am
I am keen to see a possible cause of this as I have a time crisis which behaves similarly 

I can turn on TC and it fires fine...  for several games then suddenly it only fires to the extreme right and as above you can still see the vertical flash response at the edge of picture

I have calibrated it and fitted different guns...  and in your case weird that gun 1 seems unaffected as I was perhaps thinking that it must be a monitor issue???????  as my TC only does it after its warmed up for 20 -30 mins and wondering whether a small change in the screen focus was part of the gun sighting failure?  

just as a by the way I am selling a warzaid on ebay from today spares or repair .. TWO perfect guns but its got a boot up issue checks itself and states 2 ic errors nice cab too!  sorry to hijack end of your post .........I do hope we both get resolve on this gun sighting fault ……

also I am sure that the monitors are different makes in these 2 as my warzaid has an intervideo and the TC is a polo …… 

Edited by 69er - 11 Mar 2019 at 9:44am
undefeated arcade junk hoarder champion since 1977

IF YOU CHUCK IT AWAY YOU NEED IT THE NEXT DAY!!
bobbydilley View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobbydilley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 9:43am
Do you know if these are CRT/Light guns or IR guns?

And is it just the player 2 gun that is broken, and not player 1?
https://dilley.io/arcade
69er View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 9:45am
both machines use crt detect sensor lens guns...…..   the only other variable I can think is perhaps external reflected light behind the shooter/player from an angle in the warzaid case or maybe the screen and mirror(used in both) may need a real good clean???????? 

I suppose I might try shooting direct at my screen with the glass removed next time I get chance???????? see if that can be ruled out as a  cause

Edited by 69er - 11 Mar 2019 at 9:54am

gunblade View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gunblade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 11:01am
and the quality of the picture, try turning up contrast/brightness
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobbydilley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 11:43am
Make sure the lens in the gun is the right way around as well
BazWhite View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BazWhite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 1:37pm
Ohhh - OK

Do the lenses have to be a particular way around?

I did take the guns apart before I got it going and could have been ‘that’ unlucky when changing the little board inside the gun to have put it back wrong too .. it’s a 50 / 50 chance

On the other points - as the 1UP gun is working with no issues.. i would like to think we can rule out the glass, mirror and screen contrast setting etc.. I think its definitely related to the 2nd gun 

if someone can confirm is the lens is orientation specific i will take the gun apart and try that :-)

Edited by BazWhite - 11 Mar 2019 at 2:52pm
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobbydilley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 3:28pm
Yep lens orientation is specific, if you look at the lens the two sides look different to each other.

I'd recommend making sure it's the same way round as the P1 gun!
tb2000 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by 69er 69er wrote:

I am keen to see a possible cause of this as I have a time crisis which behaves similarly 

I can turn on TC and it fires fine...  for several games then suddenly it only fires to the extreme right and as above you can still see the vertical flash response at the edge of picture

I have calibrated it and fitted different guns...  and in your case weird that gun 1 seems unaffected as I was perhaps thinking that it must be a monitor issue???????  as my TC only does it after its warmed up for 20 -30 mins and wondering whether a small change in the screen focus was part of the gun sighting failure?  

just as a by the way I am selling a warzaid on ebay from today spares or repair .. TWO perfect guns but its got a boot up issue checks itself and states 2 ic errors nice cab too!  sorry to hijack end of your post .........I do hope we both get resolve on this gun sighting fault ……

also I am sure that the monitors are different makes in these 2 as my warzaid has an intervideo and the TC is a polo …… 
Had the same problem on Time Crisis. In my case the gun board on the main cpu pcb (the one in the corner of the top board of the stack) had become detached slightly. Maybe your needs reseating or replacing?
BazWhite View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BazWhite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by bobbydilley bobbydilley wrote:

Yep lens orientation is specific, if you look at the lens the two sides look different to each other.

I'd recommend making sure it's the same way round as the P1 gun!

Well... blow me down. I did not know that..!

I will go home and try that tonight..!

Thanks
BazWhite View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BazWhite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 8:39pm
Hi Guys

Well i took the 2UP gun apart an spun the lens in the end of the barrel around 180 degrees 
(I had a quick look and I couldn't see any difference in the side i must admit)

I then re-calibrated both guns and unfortunately it is still doing the same thing Cry

1UP guns still working perfectly. 

Is there anything else i can try ??

Thanks again for all of your input

Baz

JonTron View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonTron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 8:54pm
Not sure if you have tried transposing the parts to see if the fault follows?

I'd start with swapping the guns to rule them out. Do they have a seperate input/output board for each gun?

I've got the parts from a 4-player Warzaid but I think that uses IR as there are 2 bars with 5 sensors on it.
69er View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 11:29pm
Thanks Gunblade I did get chance to look in it today and turned up the brightness and contrast a small amount only as they were then at max...….  and left it on while I photographed 2  for ebay (warzaid being one) and it did seem to function shots normally just a bit longer …when I went back to try it every 10 mins….and had a play it eventually stopped shooting the guys on the left side at first as usual... then got steadily worse till all shots were off screen

I tried to compensate the adjustment a bit using screen and focus as well so I could back off the trimmers a bit but the hue was a bit bright and could be seen slightly and setting the gun aim frequently said INVALID AREA or something when I shot at the cross until I returned it to a lower level.

the monitor was well warm now and easy to adjust gradually without any sudden jumps in picture quality on several tried balances but best I could get to register was centre vertical all the way and about 50% of screen in all ……….  as I get either side it just shoots extreme right worse when shooting left of centre which can also be seen on gun shot accuracy test.. over the screen

with the focus sharp it does however appear to have a very slight horizontal wavering at the sides when viewed up 'close' ( like hand in back on trimmers and chin nearly on screen) I probably have a remote trimmer set somewhere? perhaps its a capacitor or two need replacing (opinion Grant please ) I assume I will go to it Friday night if I have time and even as I left it with only about 40% shot positive area it will probably be fine for the first 20 - 30 minutes when cold ? 

@at tb200 thanks for that info could also be worth checking as the cabs are heavy and do get banged down a bit when moved 
I think I do luckily have a spare cage set somewhere in my junkroom which I could maybe swap gun board as it iirc has a just sometimes total resetting issue and got scrapped when the gun surround also got pulled off and split.

Thanks for replies so far... its just a bit unusual to have it playing fine initially but goes off to right side when warmed up fully...

Edited by 69er - 11 Mar 2019 at 11:50pm

User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobbydilley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 1:05pm
Sorry that the lens spinning thing didn't work, I still think that the orientation of the lens matters, as if you think about it the lens either focuses light, or spreads it out. So one side will do one, and the other will do the latter - so when your messing around with it that is probably still something to conciser!

But yes, I agree that you should probably start swapping over parts. Putting the P2 Gun into the P1 Gun connector slot would be my first thought, to work out if its the gun or the io that is faulty.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic