Forum Home Forum Home > Arcade > General Arcade Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Leaving machines on unattended?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amb47uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 1:08pm
Some good info here, Ive been reading through this all carefully as I want to make a basic list for safety setup in a vintage arcade room. Need some help to finish this please, think it would be really useful for everyone:

Hardware:
1) Surge protected extension leads, 13A Fuse? (Max sockets for running multiple cabs ??, perhaps individual switched sockets a bonus too?)
2) RCD with same AMP as peripheral (at the wall socket or RCD on each extension socket?)
3) Power leads to have 5 or 7 amp fuses (for most CRT machines)
4) Smoke alarms
5) Fire extinguisher (Powder?) (min 2kg?) / fire blanket
6) Silica bags in cabinets to keep components dry
7) Dehumidifier to keep air / components dry.

Anything else to add to the setup recommendation?

Other tips:
1) Do not quickly power cycle the arcades.
2) be careful of touching the back of the monitor, always safely discharge before touching - it can kill.
3) Turn off whenever you smell burning and safely investigate
4) Unplug all arcades before tinkering with them.
5) when moving arcades from cold storage to warm (ie House), let them dry out for a few days before turning on.
6) Make sure your building insurance covers you for a fire caused by an arcade machine.
7) Check machine hardware all visibly ok after moving them; before turning on.
8) Do not leave machines unattended.

Edited by Amb47uk - 12 Aug 2019 at 1:09pm
JohnBud View Drop Down
User
User
There's only one JB, only one JB!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnBud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 5:22pm
this ^^^^ LOL and don't play with matches LOL only kidding. old cabs are sh*te and hold a charge, egrets etc discharge on power down Wink use a brush handle and some rubber gloves to switch them on/off " top tip " Hug
69er View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 9:59pm
@Amb47uk View Drop Down  its basically use 'common sense' but even then the unexpected can occur …  the thread began should he turn off or leave on ??   there's plenty to say both ways 

especially unattended ………turn off save money reduce risk ………. I've just been let down by the unexpected on my old faithful  tail lift van too !    UNATTENDED

went to it and as usual without even getting in I turn the key and it starts first flick of the key... so its old and smokes a bit till its run a minute or two ……………. I go in the house gather up some stuff  I plan to need on the journey lucky was just a favour for a friend of my daughter 

came out after about 5 minutes and its stopped ( like it ran out of diesel ) it wasn't much over the red anyway ……………… no ……..      not that !!!! 

air lock as van is on slight incline  NO  cracked pipe NO  bleed needed NO  but no fuel coming up to injector unions 

Turns out the ignition when on pulls up a solenoid in the fuel pump which cuts off the fuel to stop the engine when you turn it off...……..  this just died with age even after running for a while just packed up and killed the van …………(turned itself off)…………  the prognosis looked so real serious I looked down vans in autotrader but undeterred I took out the pump solenoid to find it did not function ………. new one just £19 .. PHEW!!! 

bled injectors again and all is well ………………..  but not getting a new van now Cry  ...also unexpected and my hand stink of diesel fuel 

these things catch you out no matter how you prepare but its standard PAT testing procedure to fit the correct fuse size in a correctly and tightly connected square pin plug ………. I HAVE SEEN LOTS OF HOT PLUGS FROM A LOOSE BLUE WIRE  ……… DAMAGED MAINS CABLE (crushed or split/ exposed conductor wires ) not to mention the over exposed stripped back insulation at terminals and the lack of cable clamps engaging fully tight with the outer cable insulation... been in major arcades where adapters are in adapters in extensions also in adaptors slight exaggeration but you get the idea??  …………….  a bit like xmas lights in some houses at xmas ……… 

a poor sloppy wall socket can cause heating at the plug as more current is needed to conduct in a poor fitting blade of the socket …  this combined with a loosely wire plug terminal and possible cable damge your not even at the arcade machine yet !!!!!!!!!!!! how many of you have seen a brown looking entry hole on a wall socket or extension socket they can often burn to black and fail to work altogether … those tower switched anti surge computer things are not exempt from that also

Edited by 69er - 12 Aug 2019 at 10:15pm
undefeated arcade junk hoarder champion since 1977

IF YOU CHUCK IT AWAY YOU NEED IT THE NEXT DAY!!
Shinydaz View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shinydaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 10:10pm
Never leave a pole position unattended for more than 3 seconds
Out of room but always room for one more !
Amb47uk View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amb47uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 10:18pm
Yeah a lot is common sense, but not everyone has it - myself included who only recently went and bought a fire extinguisher after reading this thread.

Thats why I wanted to collate it all. I bet many people on here havent got those safety  basics nailed (I know I havent)
smf View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by Shinydaz Shinydaz wrote:

In case the "Out Of Order" sign falls off?
UnclearHermit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UnclearHermit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 10:55pm
Love threads like this. Great information. Thanks everyone. 
69er View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by Amb47uk Amb47uk wrote:

Yeah a lot is common sense, but not everyone has it - myself included who only recently went and bought a fire extinguisher after reading this thread.

Thats why I wanted to collate it all. I bet many people on here havent got those safety  basics nailed (I know I havent)

I just sent you a PM while you were  writing that ..  above great minds thinking alike sort of ……… when you read it I did not know you were in the category I highlighted ………. BUT ITS TRUE 

THE INITIAL QUESTION WAS CERTAINLY NOT A SILLY ONE (they say if you ask a silly question? )

best to ask and be safer or have peace of mind at least... I once wrote a large guide to using a multi-meter for beginners on jammaplus and it got thousands of views as did the many add on replies and suggested safety topics it encouraged down the thread ……… 

I have visited the homes of odd forum users to advise or repair stuff especially as I get approached in our arcades.....  many can't wire a plug fully compliant with the safety it commands when being handled regularly...……………… and even less own or can use a multi-meter to test if a fuse is good tho I am happy to say MOST OF THEM ADMIT THIS and ask advice on here and other forums its not to be ashamed of as its a life skill you learn as you need to ….  and only then that you stumble when an issue arises..  

I have seen un- cased exposed crt monitors connected to superguns on lounge floors where children are free to roam and play nearby...…….  I recover a lot of pooltables and the number of home owners who admit they have knocked off ornaments and poked things like plasterboard walls and each other with cues ….. incredible …………so give them a bit of invisible electricity and the world is their oyster … Hopefully there are not many of these here among us ………………..  is there ??????????????????  

Edited by 69er - 12 Aug 2019 at 11:15pm

69er View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 11:39pm
Originally posted by JohnBud JohnBud wrote:

this ^^^^ LOL and don't play with matches LOL only kidding. old cabs are sh*te and hold a charge, egrets etc discharge on power down Wink use a brush handle and some rubber gloves to switch them on/off " top tip " Hug

HI there John ……………………  just be extra careful up there YOU DON'T WANT TO MEET MY ELDEST DAUGHTER ……………in the Glasgow area………………….. 

she is the police and university coroner and suspicious death medical examiner ….something she might say perhaps …… "Oh  this is Mr Bud "

" Well I am not entirely convinced when he was wearing rubber gloves and waving a brush handle around it was totally without being some strange sort of Scottish ritual he was involved in or just GAMEPLAY Chief Inspector"  LOL

I do hope you stay away from her department for a long time John 

Rasputin View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rasputin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 6:15am

It's not very often a pole position will continue working after 3 seconds!
Warrior needs food badly!
Bods View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 8:47am

The other side of it, if you leave it on you might get to play it longer

When I first plugged in Buggy Boy I was shocked it came on working perfect, It had no PSU so I borrowed Chase HQ one

Had a go on it for 20 mins, had to pop out for 10 minutes, I did consider leaving it on but then thought, maybe not a good idea in case something goes wrong

Came back, switched it on ERROR 34 or something is all I got on the ScreenUnhappy makes me wonder how long it would of lasted if left switched on, guess the chips not powered up for years and being powered again then off cooling down and back on one just gave up
WANTED! Buggy Boy Junior Rear Seat. Continental Circus Cockpit Lower Rear Light Plexi and more space
John Bennett View Drop Down

4 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote John Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 9:31am
Better to leave it on for a couple of hours than to switch it on and off 3 times in that period.

If you can’t wire a plug, you’re probably on a path to despair with a hobby involving 40 year old, fairly sophisticated electronics :-(.

I suspect it’s things that haven’t been on for ages that have the highest risk of failing when powered up again.
A smoking tantalum in my new (1997 )projector stunk my house out recently. Would’ve set the smoke alarms off, if I hadn’t seen and smelt it first.

Dehumidifiers are good, but silica gel is for things in airtight bags and is use-once, I think.

Edited by John Bennett - 13 Aug 2019 at 9:32am
http://www.philwip.com -sibling 'fix-off' (I’m losing by miles).
Amb47uk View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amb47uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 10:28am
The silica gel bags I have change colour when they are saturated... can be used multiple times over, put them in the microwave to re-use.

I put them close to all my PCBs.
smf View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 10:28am
Originally posted by Rasputin Rasputin wrote:

It's not very often a pole position will continue working after 3 seconds!

There are WORKING pole positions?
John Bennett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 10:40am
Originally posted by Amb47uk Amb47uk wrote:

The silica gel bags I have change colour when they are saturated... can be used multiple times over, put them in the microwave to re-use.

I put them close to all my PCBs.

Ah, fair dues if it’s going in sealed stuff. I had visions of packets of the stuff placed inside cabs,which wouldn’t be so useful.
http://www.philwip.com -sibling 'fix-off' (I’m losing by miles).
Smraedis View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smraedis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by smf smf wrote:

In case the "Out Of Order" sign falls off?

In case you don't want GAME OVER burned into your screen Tongue
IanH View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 1:07am
we leave them on for hours an hours unattended at work, that's what there built for.
I actually don't like turning them off incase they don't come back on, and adds another job to me list of things to fix...……...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic