Forum Home Forum Home > Arcade > General Arcade Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Light Gun Setup for NAC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAW666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Light Gun Setup for NAC
    Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 4:44pm
Hey Guys

I'm interested in getting a light gun setup, but don't have much space so I want to use the NAC which is already in my living room, what are my options?

From what I can tell, time crisis/point blank will work, but need some tweaking to get them into a standard jamma cab, anyone here have any experience of that?

How common are the guns and game kits? The best I managed to dig up was this:

I'm tempted, but it seems pretty pricey, and after postage and import fees, It will probably be much cheaper (and easier) to try source them from here.

Thanks in advance!
strykr View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote strykr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 8:20pm
Has been done by FrancoB

https://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?t=17913

Other alternative is to get a scart to jamma adapter and play ps2 games on it. Time crisis 1 2 3 and ppont blank 1 2 3 and there are a few more.

http://www.ukvac.com/forum/gun-cabinet_topic335719.html

I did this with my NAC. But the threads gone to the big jamma+ dump in the sky im afraid.
Wanted - Electrocoin Wheels Runner Cabinet http://tinyurl.com/oq6dkau
Check out my 80s Synthwave Music :)   https://247retro.bandcamp.com/album/naeon
Monstermug View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monstermug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 8:26pm
The thing about Japanese stuff is I think they have found a way to eliminate dust that westerners don't know about. 
LAW666 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAW666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 8:50pm
Thanks! Looks like a ps2 is the best bet then, will have a look and see what I can get
LAW666 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAW666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by Monstermug Monstermug wrote:

The thing about Japanese stuff is I think they have found a way to eliminate dust that westerners don't know about. 

I quite like the dust actually, it adds character LOL
FrancoB View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrancoB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 4:46pm
Yeah I had a few games working in a couple of my candy cabs. I made a panel for my NAC but it fit my E2 as well.

All the photos from that thread seem to have disappeared due to phoctof**kit. I did take a dump of it though, I'll see if I can re-upload them.

I have got a couple of photos of my setup. I sold it all to a guy in the US. The photos linked below are just ones I sent to him prior to me shipping it but it would give you an idea.

The games I had working were Point Blank, Point Blank 2, Time Crisis, Zero Point 2 and Police Trainer. In theroy any gun game should work that uses a photo diode. They all had adaptors which plugged into the main panel. 

The 24v PSU was swapped between PB and PB2. I was going to wire up some relays so that the solenoids fired when ever the trigger was pulled. That way you would also get recoil on games that didn't use recoil guns.

If I was to do it all again now I would probably go down the console route for ease and due to game/hardware availability/costs but I did enjoy doing the wiring and getting it all working at the time Smile
yoganuggy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yoganuggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 4:57pm
A pc with aimtrak guns will work great in the sitting room if you have enough room to stand back from the cab for the aimtrak guns to work best.

Groovemame will cover most games on your list such as the namco classics and then demul/model2emulator with the demulshooter app will cover naomi/m2 gun games virtua cop and house of the dead. It works perfect.
ZedEx48K View Drop Down
User
User

8-Bit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZedEx48K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by yoganuggy yoganuggy wrote:

A pc with aimtrak guns will work great

A lot of people would argue they are a bunch of crap, either wait for the Sinden guns or build these, they are more accurate and a lot less jittery than Aimtraks.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=161189.0

yoganuggy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yoganuggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 9:22pm
Yes if you dont have the room to stand back they are useless. With enough room they are fine. I've no problems at all with this setup on a naomi. If the cab is in the living room hopefully you have the space.

Or get an old xp pc and run the guncon2 usb drivers (wingun) and use older emulators. Plenty of options if going pc route.

LAW666 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAW666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 12:11am
Thanks Guys!
Originally posted by FrancoB FrancoB wrote:

I have got a couple of photos of my setup. I sold it all to a guy in the US. The photos linked below are just ones I sent to him prior to me shipping it but it would give you an idea.

This looks amazing! Well worth the extra effort!

Never heard of the Sinden guns before! they look awesome!
Smraedis View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smraedis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 3:49pm
I made a supergun light-gun setup some years ago now. For Time Crisis 1 I cut some of the harness wires (video, sound, service and test) and wired them up to a jamma harness.
For the power cables, I wired that directly to the power supply.

I'm sure others would do a far better job, but I'm glad I got it working.
Originally posted by FrancoB FrancoB wrote:

Yeah I had a few games working in a couple of my candy cabs. I made a panel for my NAC but it fit my E2 as well.

Shame you sold it all, would have loved that!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic