Forum Home Forum Home > Arcade > General Arcade Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Me in an arcade back in the day.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Matt_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Me in an arcade back in the day.
    Posted: 13 May 2019 at 6:59pm
It's a sad fact that there aren't many pics of our arcades back in the 80's and 90's. So many fantastic arcades around the country for so many years and yet there's hardly any pics at all out there!

Fair enough, the last thing we was thinking about back then was taking pics with the family camera or a disposable but whats my mums excuse!!! 1000's and 1000' of photos of me sat on the couch or standing outside a shop but none in a bloody arcade.

My Nan used to take me to Blackpool every year for 3 or 4 days when I was young and basically just followed me around every arcade in Blackpool feeding me 10p after 10p, she really was the perfect Nan in every way. Over the years I've looked through her albums plenty of times and the closest I ever found were the illuminations but no arcades? Anyway, long story short. When my Dad was going through her stuff recently he found an actual pic of me in an actual arcade!
It's not the best pic but it will do for me. It was taken around 85/86 and was in the big arcade in the middle of the pleasure beach I think. Prizes for which game I'm playing and what the cab used to be :(

Does anyone else have pics of them in an arcade from bitd? If so let's see them.
aeroflott View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
A different league

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeroflott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 7:03pm
Rolling Thunder in a converted Defender?

What an awesome pic.

Looks like a Bell fruit Galaxian to your right too. Noice.
bonehead View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
Call me jamma jim

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 7:03pm
Looks like you are playing Kung fu master???
Always looking for a bargain.
Wanted., bezerk, mad planets.
Pinge View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 7:07pm
My first thought was also Kung Fu Master.
big10p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 7:17pm
Great pic! Good spot on Kung Fu Master. Hard to tell but is that a converted Defender? 
WANTED: Sega Cash Cube CP end plate. Click me for details!
stevebm1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevebm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 7:33pm
converted defender with kung fu master 
====WANTED====
Vector pinball plastics
ataridude74 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ataridude74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 7:40pm
What's the cab to the left?
Living in the Bronze Age
_Matt_ View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Matt_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by aeroflott aeroflott wrote:

Rolling Thunder in a converted Defender?

What an awesome pic.

Looks like a Bell fruit Galaxian to your right too. Noice.

Cheers. Yeah I was thinking Bell Fruit Galaxian too, I remember seeing the flyer for it.
griffo83x View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote griffo83x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 7:51pm
Awesome pic 

wanted video wizard/ Ec midi / similar jamma cab :)
_Matt_ View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Matt_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 7:54pm
It's definitely a converted Defender and I'm pretty certain it's Kung-Fu Master. The only thing thats a bit weird about it is the bottom third of the screen? The characters walk quite close to the bottom of the screen on Kung-Fu Master but they're in the middle of the screen in my pic. Maybe the monitor is just very badly set up?
stevebm1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevebm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 8:25pm
the only other thought I had was wonderboy,but it does look more like kung fu master
====WANTED====
Vector pinball plastics
favouredson View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote favouredson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by _Matt_ _Matt_ wrote:

Yeah I was thinking Bell Fruit Galaxian too, I remember seeing the flyer for it.

I bet the cab on the flyer didn't have the super-rare droopy joystick...
Garry
Steveylou View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steveylou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 10:18pm
What a fantastic picture! It's always great seeing arcade photos from that era. Thanks for sharing Matt.

I'm also pretty sure it's Kung Fu Master Smile
Outrun2 View Drop Down
User
User
Colonel Outrun

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outrun2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 11:16pm
Cool thread. Nobody else joining in? Then allow me..

It was always OutRun..

Bournemouth circa '87-'88

Would like:
No more cabs.. please!!
strykr View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strykr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 11:19pm
Cool thread. I would give anything to go back to my home town southend arcades in the arcade heyday. And buy a bloody camera.
Wanted - Electrocoin Wheels Runner Cabinet http://tinyurl.com/oq6dkau
Badlands & Champ sprint TG mame WR holder
agent4125 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agent4125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 11:31pm
These pics are brilliant.  Thanks for sharing.  I just wish I had some from JG's down in Folkestone in the mid 80s.  Cry
Wanted: Robotron!
_Matt_ View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Matt_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 11:55pm
Originally posted by Outrun2 Outrun2 wrote:

It was always OutRun..

Wow thats a brilliant photo!

Looks like a Popeye arm wrestling machine to your right.
big10p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 12:42am
Originally posted by Outrun2 Outrun2 wrote:

It was always OutRun..

Great pic. Which arcade was that taken in? Did a lot of arcade crawls in Bournemouth back then, but don't remember seeing a sitdown OR.
WANTED: Sega Cash Cube CP end plate. Click me for details!
Bods View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 10:40am
Very cool guys, one thing I wish I could have is photo's from all the arcades we went to, early days it was Wheel Em In, Cranes, Pushers. Mechanical Shooters but don't think there are even photo's from those days, only ones I remember of us were on the odd Fairground rides

Popeye Arm Wrestler next the you on the Outrun Gary, should of known you be on that gameBig smile

Originally posted by ataridude74 ataridude74 wrote:

What's the cab to the left?

Laguna Racer. Could see the Midway sticker on the door so narrows it right downSmile

WANTED! Buggy Boy Junior Rear Seat. Continental Circus Cockpit Lower Rear Light Plexi and more space
kidyamlo View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kidyamlo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 1:55pm
Also thought this was Wonderboy at first, but Kung Fu Master makes more sense. The trees in Wonderboy are also fatter than the columns in Kung Fu Master.

Originally posted by _Matt_ _Matt_ wrote:

Maybe the monitor is just very badly set up?

Either that or it's a still captured from a VHS camcorder footage, complete with out-of-sync screen roll. Unless I'm talking out of my arse and the sync thing wasn't an issue back then... but I think it was x100.

Edited by kidyamlo - 14 May 2019 at 1:59pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic