ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Arcade > General Arcade Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

NeoSleeve - Finally a good, cheap MVS case!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeRedshift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NeoSleeve - Finally a good, cheap MVS case!
    Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 5:56pm
Introducing NeoSleeve

Before we start!
  • The images show a concept sleeve that was printed using a low resolution image file I found online, the actual production would use much higher resolution artwork
  • Yes I know the sleeve says MS5 and the cart is MSX, that's becasue MS5 was the easiest artwork to use for this sample
  • There is a crease down the middle of the sleeve, it was folded when being put through my letterbox :O This definitely would not happen for the main production
What?
  • A new, affordable, attractive way to store MVS carts which protects the cart from dust and wear whilst at the same time allows it to be displayed on a shelf!
  • Made from card, with the top and bottom open, allow the cart to slide out
  • High quality printing of artwork on front, sides and back. This allows for full artwork like a shockbox
Why?
  • Shockboxes are the premium MVS storage option, but to say they are expensive is an understatement. 10 boxes ($111.50) with 10 artworks ($30) and shipping to the UK ($82.60) costs a eye watering $224.12, before you add import fees ($44.8) would mean for 10 shockboxes you would need to spend over £200...
  • NeoMiniBox is another option, but all this storage method constitutes is a regular white cardboard box with a spine artwork sticker. Has no front or back artwork and cost around £36 for 10 including shipping to the U.K 
How? (and how much?)
  • NeoSleeve will be professionally printed in the UK. The sleeves arrive flat but pre-glued, so you just open the sleeve up and slide the cart in
  • The printer can print 4 designs in a single sheet, with pricing for 100 (25x4 designs), 250 (62x4) or 500 (125x4)
  • Pricing is dependant on how many of each design is made, for example, making 125x4 designs for a total of 500 sleeves would be the cheapest option per sleeve, but if we wanted to go for 8 different designs for the first run, 2x runs of 250 sleeves is the best option.
  • If going for 2 runs of 250 sleeves for a total of 8 designs, a rough estimate of price would be around the same as NeoMiniBox (£3.5 per sleeve). Shipping would be £3.00 to the UK and £9.00 to the rest of the world
Artwork?
  • The artwork for NeoSleeve would be produced by myself. It would follow a set template for each cover, similar to the one shown in the sample image below. Utilising the AES gray background, cart size box, Neo Geo logo etc. The actual art would be sourced from various sources
  • The first 4 or 8 (or maybe even 12!) designs would be chosen via a vote
Who are you?
  • My name is Joe, I run a Mechanical Keyboard business, but I also love all things retro gaming, especially the 16-bit era. Thanks to my existing business I know how to handle production and shipping of a product :)
I want in, what should I do?
  • For now, please register your interest using the google form below, this gives me a rough idea of how many people would consider purchasing the sleeves. Please share this thread around!
  • https://forms.gle/3VatGqirVd42rrjb6

Pictures!

Edited by JoeRedshift - 12 Feb 2020 at 5:58pm
Vinegar Joe View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinegar Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 6:03pm
Good idea! I will register my interest when I'm able.
Velyks View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Velyks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 6:06pm
Woo! Giant VHS sleeves
Great idea!
neo-geo-mvs View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neo-geo-mvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 6:09pm
Pretty much the same as the Windy Sleeves but with artwork.

Nice to based in the UK. Good luck
Mark H View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 6:19pm
Looks great - well done. And UK based too Thumbs Up
"The Future Is Now"
JoeRedshift View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeRedshift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by neo-geo-mvs neo-geo-mvs wrote:

Wasn't aware of these! Are they still available?
neo-geo-mvs View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neo-geo-mvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by JoeRedshift JoeRedshift wrote:

Originally posted by neo-geo-mvs neo-geo-mvs wrote:

Wasn't aware of these! Are they still available?

Just checked. They've closed their business. Shame as they had some good stuff. Based in America.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeRedshift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 6:28pm
Ah, well, the sleeves I'm working on have a tighter fit than it looks like that one does!

Also the artwork is the main appeal really!

Edited by JoeRedshift - 12 Feb 2020 at 6:29pm
Vinegar Joe View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinegar Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 6:34pm
OK I'm down. Shock boxes are nice but too bulky and expensive. I just don't have the space where I'm currently storing my MVS carts.

These seem like a great solution.
Brendan1495 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brendan1495 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 6:45pm
Looks Great, Interested
r-type View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote r-type Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 6:47pm
I haven't got many carts left now, but would go for a few. Good luck to you.
cools View Drop Down
User
User
I joined ages ago honest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cools Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 8:43pm
If I were still collecting MVS I'd be interested... if they slid on the same way as the Windy ones rather than potentially catching the cart label.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeRedshift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by cools cools wrote:

If I were still collecting MVS I'd be interested... if they slid on the same way as the Windy ones rather than potentially catching the cart label.

I can't imagine any way these sleeves could catch the cart label unless it was already almost completely coming off 
mx5dob View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mx5dob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 9:31am
Neat idea! better than shock boxes for space saving too.
Flinnster View Drop Down

2 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

2 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 10:30am
You have my support if it helps bring the costs down Big smile

WTD: Outrun DLX(yes REALLY!), Rolling Thunder, PacMania
Parts WTD: Any Dino King / LnB / MushiKing Spare Parts!
Titchgamer View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Titchgamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 12:05am
I dont have many carts atm but I am all for the idea :)
The Last Bandit View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Last Bandit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 8:39am
Very nice indeed, don't suppose you got a custom artwork cover for 161-1 in carts ? 
whitecomet View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitecomet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 8:52am
great idea... how thick is the card on these, as various PS2 games had similar sleeves but made of a variety of different card thickness so some lasted well while other ripped very easy!
risings0n View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote risings0n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 11:42am
I've registered for 5+, just the job Smile
garrz32 on AO & Shmups
big10p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 11:58am
I don't have any MVS carts, but yeah, great idea. Have you looked into using some kind of plastic/PVC instead of card? They'd be way more durable. I imagine card would become dog-eared through frequent use.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic