ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Arcade > General Arcade Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

New CRT monitor? Weiya 21"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Del Griffith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 3:14pm
Shame those med res are 20” and not 19”, You could yoke swap and stick the tube in a Star Wars amp setup with a bit of work possibly ?
bonehead View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 5:02pm
So does anyone know if these 20” ones would be a good candidate for paperboy and supersprint cabs?

Also I wonder how they are measured for sizes?

Always looking for a bargain.
Wanted. Centipede uprigh, bezerk, mad planets.
2huwman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2huwman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 5:38pm
Here are more pics and details of the 17" ones. Apparently they will take a very low offer (if you buy a load of them)....

John Bennett View Drop Down

2 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

2 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by char1ie char1ie wrote:

Technical questions:
From this list it shows:

M520H is a 20 inch monitor but at 25Khz. Is that not too high frequency for use in video games? Thought we generally used 15Khz. Will these work for us? Would this need modifying to work in a classic arcade game? 12 available

DIV]

Thanks all,

Charlie

As said, most games are 15kHz, not 24kHz. Only Sega System 24, Model 1,2,3 and some Atari games and Narc are what spring to mind.
There's upscalers that convert 15kHz to 31kHz (VGA) or higher, but not just to 24kHz (prob. as it doesn't allow high enough resolutions to multiply-up and there's no demand for it). They degrade the image too as they're re-sampling and multiplying it.

Edited by John Bennett - 11 Jan 2018 at 5:53pm
M K L View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M K L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by char1ie char1ie wrote:

M2919D is a 19" monitor with a useful frequency range. 14 available. This sounds like a great choice for old arcade games but is true 19" not too small - I thought Defender was 20". Will these work?

It's a 19" with 18" viewable screen and an M46 tube (same as a 19" PC monitor). Classic arcade monitors are 20" with 19" viewable screen and A48 tubes.

Edited by M K L - 11 Jan 2018 at 7:50pm
M K L View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M K L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by bonehead bonehead wrote:

So does anyone know if these 20” ones would be a good candidate for paperboy and supersprint cabs?

Also I wonder how they are measured for sizes?

All the world except North America measures TVs and monitor using the whole tube face not just the screen area so 20" in Europe and Asia is the same as 19" in the US. Hence those 20" monitors are the right size for the cabs you mentioned.

https://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/CRT_designation_systems#Size_Chart_.28Color_Picture_Tubes.29

Edited by M K L - 11 Jan 2018 at 8:01pm
bonehead View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 7:57pm
That’s brilliant thanks.
tb2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by 2huwman 2huwman wrote:

Here are more pics and details of the 17" ones. Apparently they will take a very low offer (if you buy a load of them)....

I wonder how low an offer - how low is low? Smile There also seems to be a load of pureflat 17" monitors there. I wonder what they were used in? Also looks as though they have a load of crts on their own, as well as chassis. Looking at those 17" tubes, I have a load of Polo 3 chassis that are an exact match for those. In fact, that "Circuito chassis mod 3117C" - I have one of those that's apparently been modified to work on a 29" tube if I remember correctly. It's 15khz and 31khz.

Edited by tb2000 - 11 Jan 2018 at 8:39pm
M K L View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M K L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 7:46am
The Italian company Intervideo (Hantarex first competitor in Italy) had their monitor manufactured in Taiwan and apparently this is some of the stock they didn't want to buy when they went bankrupt. There's plenty of these in Italy already btw also in bigger sizes (I bought a few 20" years ago). The low res chassis that uses the Philips minineck tube is the last version of the VP series (very common and documented). The 3117C is 31khz (possibly also 15khz) and uses a 17" dual focus tube. They were meant for videopoker machines.
tb2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by M K L M K L wrote:

The Italian company Intervideo (Hantarex first competitor in Italy) had their monitor manufactured in Taiwan and apparently this is some of the stock they didn't want to buy when they went bankrupt. There's plenty of these in Italy already btw also in bigger sizes (I bought a few 20" years ago). The low res chassis that uses the Philips minineck tube is the last version of the VP series (very common and documented). The 3117C is 31khz (possibly also 15khz) and uses a 17" dual focus tube. They were meant for videopoker machines.
Yeah that one i've got had had a focus pin broken out of the neck socket as well as some other modifications, and there's an Intervideo label on the side over the original sticker saying what yoke values it works with. I would assume then that these 3117C work with those flat tubes?
Also, if there's still 20" versions about in Italy it'd be nice to know where (more than one company?) as no doubt some people would like to buy a few! Smile

Edited by tb2000 - 12 Jan 2018 at 1:24pm
M K L View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M K L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by tb2000 tb2000 wrote:

I would assume then that these 3117C work with those flat tubes?

Well, the monitor with the flat tube in the above link has the INTERVIDEO VP chassis which is 15KHz and the tube is narrow neck so it could be a Samsung 17" TV tube (Italian TV maker Mivar used for their 17" models in the same years the Samsung tube A41QFG692X001, flat/narrow neck/single focus/standard TV impedance yoke). The VP manual only lists A41EAM40X01 and A41ECV40X01 which are curved/minineck though.

Originally posted by tb2000 tb2000 wrote:

Also, if there's still 20" versions about in Italy it'd be nice to know where (more than one company?) as no doubt some people would like to buy a few! Smile

They sometimes leak from various sellers but the bulk sits in some warehouse as the Intervideo bankruptcy has not been resolved yet.

For new monitor/chassis in Italy there is a better source that has all the Semio stock (very similar to Hantarex).
radfoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote radfoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 10:54pm
I'd be interested in a medium resolution monitor but would be interesting to know the tube number if anyone has it?  Wonder if the tube actually has the finer dot pitch?  Could just be a medium res chassis hooked up to a standard res tube.

Edit, just realised I own one the VGA versions of this monitor, certainly uses the same frame and has the Chunghwa sticker though of course the tube could be and probably is different. 

Thanks

Oli

Edited by radfoo - 12 Jan 2018 at 11:21pm
Wanted: Amplifone HV board, thanks!
M K L View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M K L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 2:49am
Originally posted by radfoo radfoo wrote:

I'd be interested in a medium resolution monitor but would be interesting to know the tube number if anyone has it?  Wonder if the tube actually has the finer dot pitch?  Could just be a medium res chassis hooked up to a standard res tube.

It is a big misconception that medium resolution monitors have tubes with a finer pitch ("M" tubes). Arcade monitors almost always use TV tubes ("A" tubes) regardless of the resolutions the chassis is capable of. The 25khz k7000s have A tubes...
Del Griffith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Del Griffith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 9:37am

It is a big misconception that medium resolution monitors have tubes with a finer pitch ("M" tubes). Arcade monitors almost always use TV tubes ("A" tubes) regardless of the resolutions the chassis is capable of. The 25khz k7000s have A tubes...

I believe that is true in the later med res games like system 24 stuff but Star Wars and paperboy most definitely use m48aaw00x rauland fine pitch tubes.
radfoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote radfoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 10:06am
Originally posted by Del Griffith Del Griffith wrote:

I believe that is true in the later med res games like system 24 stuff but Star Wars and paperboy most definitely use m48aaw00x rauland fine pitch tubes.
Yes. I have done quite a bit of reading/research on this (mostly related to vectors), the A and M prefix does not mean much in itself but different manufacturers/models do have different dot pitches, making some tubes mores suitable than others for different resolutions. Read most 15khz tubes used in arcade monitors were cheaper models with larger dot pitch, have assumed this is why my tv tube build/swaps look different.

Edited by radfoo - 13 Jan 2018 at 10:11am
Wanted: Amplifone HV board, thanks!
M K L View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M K L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by Del Griffith Del Griffith wrote:

It's just the Amplifone that has an M tube, the K6100 doesn't. And the the K7000s can have the tube you say as well as the Zenith A48ACB24X. Even the Nanao MS9-29 which usually has a Toshiba A68 tube sometimes has a Matsush*ta M68 tube.
minwah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minwah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 6:43pm

I would be up for one (or more, depending on price) 17" 15khz CRTs if there is enough interest for a bulk buy.

Would be good for scratch-builds. Also, stick it in a box and you've got a nice console / computer monitor.

I bet they would fit in some 14-inch equipped cabinets. Plus, if you're stuck for a 19" monitor, I'd rather have a slightly smaller CRT than an LCD screen...
2huwman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2huwman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by minwah minwah wrote:

I would be up for one (or more, depending on price) 17" 15khz CRTs if there is enough interest for a bulk buy.

Would be good for scratch-builds. Also, stick it in a box and you've got a nice console / computer monitor.

I bet they would fit in some 14-inch equipped cabinets. Plus, if you're stuck for a 19" monitor, I'd rather have a slightly smaller CRT than an LCD screen...

It says on the list that they've got 110 cabinets for video slot machines with 17" CRTs. Would that mean quiz or gambling machines?
minwah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minwah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 3:36pm

It says on the list that they've got 110 cabinets for video slot machines with 17" CRTs. Would that mean quiz or gambling machines?

No idea, but I would guess so.
bonehead View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 4:34pm
So has anyone else ordered anything from there?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic