ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Arcade > General Arcade Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

New Pole Position FPGA Board?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RolyRetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Pole Position FPGA Board?
    Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 8:01am
Pole Position Clone

Could this be the answer to temperamental Pole Position PCBs?

Still in prototype but could make it to production soon.
Star Wars/Outrun/Battlezone Cabaret/Asteroids & Moon Cresta Cocktail/Zaccaria Invader/Snow Bros/Addams Family Pin/BAS
Twitter @retrogamesnow
neil1637 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neil1637 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 8:13am
Indeed it could. I've been keeping a keen eye on this since it's announcement. The problem will be trying to source an already sought after PP cab to put it in, as everyone will be after one when these are finally released.

Please visit my Arcade Diary Blog at https://neilsarcadediary.wordpress.com/

Grail search - blue Donkey kong upright.
DanP View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Whipcracker

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 8:30am
This has been in the pipeline for a long long time.   I think Adam started it 10 years ago!   That said it's a very complex task, it took years and years to reverse engineer the vast array of Namco custom IC's on these boards, there's a great YT video by Adam showing that process.  Adam has stated that he thinks it will finally be ready for release sometime this year and they should indeed be the answer to all the dead Pole Positions out there.   

The value of PP cabs will definatley rise once this is out, it (and PP2) are top games only let down by their difficult to repair PCB's and power supply issues.   Previously PP hasn't been sought after at all because they are always dead and no one (barring Mark and RGP recently) liked to repair them.   I've had two (still have one) in my time, bought for £50 and £40 respectively!
RolyRetro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RolyRetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 10:53am
I’ve been put off due to the board issues myself, I want one in my arcade shed just for the boop, boop, boop, BOOOP noise
Star Wars/Outrun/Battlezone Cabaret/Asteroids & Moon Cresta Cocktail/Zaccaria Invader/Snow Bros/Addams Family Pin/BAS
Twitter @retrogamesnow
stokesay_2000 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stokesay_2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 11:04am
Can't wait! Would love to get me PP cockpit up and running again. 
DanP View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Whipcracker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 11:15am
Originally posted by RolyRetro RolyRetro wrote:

I’ve been put off due to the board issues myself, I want one in my arcade shed just for the boop, boop, boop, BOOOP noise

It really is a must have (in my eyes) for an 80's arcade for just that reason (as well as being a fine game).   My final working board just took a sh*t in the last couple of week, although I think I have one more set somewhere which is annoyingly Atari (my cab is Namco wired) so will need some jiggery pokery to shoehorn in.   This clone PCB can't come soon enough, I've had my cab for a long time and never needed it but it's getting to that stage...
stegrey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stegrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 11:31am
so is this an actual pcb that will replace the original?
(Current cabs) sega rally twin,OR upright,Or2,ID2,Scud race upright,Ridge racer Dlx,Daytona Twin Dlx, New astro city and x2 sega Naomi universal

DanP View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Whipcracker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 11:35am
Yep, it's a new PCB copying the logic from the original exactly in FPGA (just like the JROK board does for the Williams games).   It will run the original code and replicate the hardware exactly but in more modern components that require much less power and generate much less heat!    The added benefit is that it will run both Pole Position and Pole Position II and variants thereof as a multi game!
stegrey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stegrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 11:40am
Thats great news to hear :) i guess in the future this might happen for other drivers such as outrun
(Current cabs) sega rally twin,OR upright,Or2,ID2,Scud race upright,Ridge racer Dlx,Daytona Twin Dlx, New astro city and x2 sega Naomi universal

DanP View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Whipcracker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 10:31pm
First picture of the prototype is up on the KLOV thread!!!   It's getting soooo close...
Chopper79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 10:06pm
Has there been any update on this yet? Not even going to bother, getting my board fixed, and hopefully wait for this to finalise....
Wanted:

Turbo outrun midi
Shinydaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shinydaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 10:30pm
Last update was fixing the adc issues, hopefully not to much longer as I have none working PP cab incoming.
Out of room but always room for one more !
Shinydaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shinydaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 10:56pm
Adam was working on the game select menu at the end of may, so fingers crossed it will be out some time this year.
Chopper79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 10:13pm
Thanks for the update on info. Hopefully many people will get their cabs up and running. I'm glad I got mine now, as the prices might increase, when the board is released.
Wanted:

Turbo outrun midi
Chopper79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 5:51pm
Found the latest update on this:

Finally got the menu running on the hardware and loading games. Still need to debug some semaphore issues with the sound hardware. The menu is running noticeable slower on the hardware than in Mame and I'm noticing rather long turn-around times for some of the sound code semaphore set/reset stuff. Finding time with the demands of my real job has always been a challenge but rest assured, the project to still progressing. Once I get the menu kinks worked out I'll do a video demo of the hardware in the real cab.

Edited by Chopper79 - 11 Oct 2018 at 5:51pm
Wanted:

Turbo outrun midi
Equites View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
Chief Sheesher®

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equites Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 6:49pm
These new boards are not for me, I’m only interested in real original hardware.
Atari PCB's (and most non-Atari), AR2's, Vector Deflection/HV boards repaired & refurbished.
Wanted: Non-working Atari PCBs.
patloz View Drop Down

4 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

4 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patloz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 7:16pm
Yes i agree, Love driving up to see Mark at retro clinic every month :)

Having reliable hardware takes all the fun out of holding your breath and flicking the on switch.
bbz149 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbz149 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 7:55pm
Equites View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
Chief Sheesher®

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equites Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by patloz patloz wrote:

Yes i agree, Love driving up to see Mark at retro clinic every month :)

Having reliable hardware takes all the fun out of holding your breath and flicking the on switch.

Is that sarcasm I detect?

Mark simply fixes faults, he doesn’t get paid to bullet proof a board set.

Power supply and cooling are key.
Atari PCB's (and most non-Atari), AR2's, Vector Deflection/HV boards repaired & refurbished.
Wanted: Non-working Atari PCBs.
Shinydaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shinydaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 8:16pm
Be interested what price these come in at.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic