ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Arcade > General Arcade Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

New XY Monitor Kit / DIY Vector Monitors

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote radfoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New XY Monitor Kit / DIY Vector Monitors
    Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 7:23pm
Not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere but there is (possibly) going to be a second run on Fred Konopaskas XY Monitor Kit. Needs at least 20 orders for the second run to go ahead, its basically a modern Amplifone clone consisting of HV and Deflection boards, for more info see  https://www.facebook.com/groups/1060033634089063/  .  I stumbled across it whilst failing to find an Amplifone HV board, just wondered if anyone else is going to order one or have an opinion on it?

Edited by radfoo - 06 Oct 2017 at 7:36pm
Wanted: Amplifone HV board, thanks!
Hurray Banana View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurray Banana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 8:25pm
I've got an order in with the second batch
Alpha1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Do the Shake and 'VAC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpha1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 8:37pm
What yoke and tube do you have to use?
Wanted: Time Traveller, GALAXIAN 3 THEATER, 80's Namco & Taito games

radfoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote radfoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by Hurray Banana Hurray Banana wrote:

I've got an order in with the second batch
Ah, good, me too, hope he gets the 20+ he needs to do the second batch. Thought many will miss it with all the info being on facebook.

Originally posted by Alpha1 Alpha1 wrote:

What yoke and tube do you have to use?
From what I understand an Amplifone or 6100 will work fine but think it is designed to work with TV donor tubes either 13", 19" and 25".  It seems Fred removes the vertical ferite and re-winds, also some good information over on klov on yoke winding.

I'm interested in a 19" monitor, so from what I understand the vertical windings of an Amplifone is not too tricky to replicate on a tube with a fat neck. Just find a donor tube with as low as possible resistance on the horizontal winding (2 ohm or less).  I have an amplifone yoke I intend to copy the windings from, I could just swap it over but leaving the yoke on and rewinding the vertical saves having to mess with convergence.

Edited by radfoo - 06 Oct 2017 at 9:04pm
RolyRetro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RolyRetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 8:33am
Ordered one, orders still open and Fred says over half way there...

Edited by RolyRetro - 07 Oct 2017 at 8:36am
Star Wars UR/Outrun Mini/Streets Defender/Asteroids & Moon Cresta Cocktail/Zaccaria Invader/Track & Field/Snow Bros
Twitter @retrogamesnow
radfoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote radfoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 9:24am
Apparently orders are up to 15 now, think it will be close.
Syrup2407 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syrup2407 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 10:24am
Hi,

I could be interested in one of these, whats the price??

Is there any way to place an order if you are not on Facebook??

Cheers,

Gav
bomjac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bomjac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 3:32pm
If any of you go ahead with this - I had a repro flyback for an Amplifone on the "For Sale" a while back.  Bought from the USA as a spare, but never used - back when I had some SW projects (long time gone before you ask).
tin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by Syrup2407 Syrup2407 wrote:

Hi,

Cheers,

Gav

$349 and you just paypal the money to the guy building them so I see no reason why you NEED to be on FB. Although it will probably help for updates and such.
This is your crew chief // Yeah, the course is really tough // But it's a beautiful day // So good luck!
radfoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote radfoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by Syrup2407 Syrup2407 wrote:

Hi,

Cheers,

Gav

Facebook is a pain, though there is quite a bit of information to read about the kit. This was the post Fred made over on facebook, is lots more information on there so if you can login that would be best. 

Edited by radfoo - 09 Oct 2017 at 8:28pm
Dave2084 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave2084 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 10:41pm
If you want to totally roll your own, you can get NEW amplifone PCBs here, though you'd need to source heatsinks for both boards and the focus block, MC1, the LOPT and the secondary transformer for the HV board.

b1ffb0ff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b1ffb0ff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 4:45pm
Pre ordered one.  :-)  That's a laugh all i have is controller!

b1ffb0ff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b1ffb0ff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 4:54pm
17, pre orders recievd so far.  He will leave order open. Looks like it is a go!
radfoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote radfoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by Dave2084 Dave2084 wrote:

If you want to totally roll your own, you can get NEW amplifone PCBs here, though you'd need to source heatsinks for both boards and the focus block, MC1, the LOPT and the secondary transformer for the HV board.

Yeah, I had been thinking of building the HV from there. Dez (from http://www.amazingarcading.com.au/) has also been working on a pre-built Universal HV board for Amplifone and/or WG6100 though progress has been slow recently.
Dave2084 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave2084 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 10:57pm
Originally posted by b1ffb0ff b1ffb0ff wrote:

Pre ordered one.  :-)  That's a laugh all i have is controller!

We can have fun making a new monitor! 
So the hunt is on for suitable TVs monitors with donor tubes and suitable yokes!

Don't think I'll leave to have all this fun on your own
b1ffb0ff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b1ffb0ff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 12:12pm
:-) Mr Langley i think i will probably electrocute my self if left to have all the fun on my own... :-)
radfoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote radfoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 7:44pm
Apparently Fred received the 20 minimum required so going to happen :-)  

Orders are also still open for now if anyone else is interested.
Dave2084 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave2084 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by b1ffb0ff b1ffb0ff wrote:

:-) Mr Langley i think i will probably electrocute my self if left to have all the fun on my own... :-)

Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic