ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Trading Post > For Sale
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Outrun Reproduction Gears

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cNp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 9:05pm
As mentioned on the Facebook UkVac post I'm interested in a set please, great work!
Wanted: SEGA Power Drift PCB, Asteroids cabaret, Vartek Kadet cabs
Equites View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
Chief Sheesher®

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equites Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 9:33pm
I'm definitely in for a set, great deal.
Atari PCB's (and most non-Atari), AR2's, Vector Deflection/HV boards repaired & refurbished.
Wanted: Non-working Atari PCBs.
niknak View Drop Down
Raffles the gentleman thug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote niknak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 11:01pm
Ordered a set this morning, should land tomorrow. Looking forward to adding them to the 'to do' pile :)
Purity View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 11:16pm
Look great.  Would certainly consider a purchase!
JAG555 View Drop Down

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAG555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 11:41pm
Originally posted by Ordyne Ordyne wrote:

Originally posted by JAG555 JAG555 wrote:

They look very well made.

Is it just the A &B Gears included? What about the C and D? I have significant wear on my C & D and I have bought the 3D printed set, however these look much better and if you have a full set, I will use these.

Cheers

Its not normal to have any wear on C & D, there's no load/stress on them at all. I've seen the pot gear crack but never actually break, these should actually be fine 3D printed unlike A & B.

That said I was planning on doing C & D but I will see how these go, there is an investment in these to the cost of a new car and going on current reception I'm not sure about doing the other gears now or the dash plastic which already has a mould made and is off for samples running off.

Thanks for the reply. I think it's great that you have put these together and they clearly look quality made. However, the cost might be issue for some when compared to the 3D gears (it's just opinions on value). For me, I like them and I think I will probably jump in when I do my refurb work on my Outrun.

I am VERY interested in the repro CP and I can assure you these will be in high demand. Please develop these!

Cheers
Hurray Banana View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurray Banana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 6:46am
Definitely want a set please Craig as said on Facebook post
niknak View Drop Down
Raffles the gentleman thug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote niknak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 12:03pm
Just arrived here. they are fantastic Craig. Defo do the Dash (and bezel?) Thumbs Up
J69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 2:00pm
Educate a noob

What do these gears do? Is the steering wheel supposed to return to centre? I'm buying a cabinet and the steering appears to work?
Bensonrad View Drop Down
STILL looking for an Outrun & Paperboy!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bensonrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by J69 J69 wrote:

Educate a noob

What do these gears do? Is the steering wheel supposed to return to centre? I'm buying a cabinet and the steering appears to work?

The original gears which are behind the Steering wheel on the Control Panel, were made of plastic, after wear and tear, they normally split, some just stay cracked, others will just fall totally off. Whilst I've seen a brass replacement gear in the past which are now super hard to find, Ordyne has made some new metal ones, which look to last forever. I see a lot of these 3D plastic printed jobbies on ebay, but don't think I'd ever buy one of those.

The Springs pull it to the centre.....In fact Craig do you have of those left in your stock?

Cheers
Wanted: Super Pacman Bezel, Millipede Euro inner Bezel. Small Cabaret Project Cab, Exterminator set up. Always after Millipede/Paperboy/Super Pacman/Outrun/Taito S.I PCBs
dj_yt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj_yt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 2:19pm
They are part of the gearing mechanism, connecting the central spindle to the steering pot (which ultimately connects to the game board). Two large springs return the steering to the central position. 

All unserviced OutRun cabinets I've ever seen have had cracked A and B gears. They are made of plastic originally, so suffer from wear and tear. Here are mine before I replaced them: 

You might find your steering works, but when inspected you will probably find the cogs are cracked. 

Some more details from my restoration here

Up until now, the best option was some 3D printed replacements. They are well made, but use lightened springs to put less wear and tear on them. Ordyne has produced the super deluxe option, that are far superior to the originals or the 3D printed ones. 

Edited by dj_yt - 19 May 2017 at 2:20pm
Shinydaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shinydaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 2:43pm
I'm sure when people move there outrun's on, showing buyers it has these metal gears, it's only going to make it more desirable and bullet proof. I'd love a set, but I need a cab first
Out of room but always room for one more !
dj_yt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj_yt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by Shinydaz Shinydaz wrote:

I'm sure when people move there outrun's on, showing buyers it has these metal gears, it's only going to make it more desirable and bullet proof. I'd love a set, but I need a cab first

Yes, then the weakest point becomes the PCB itself. I wonder if Sega could be persuaded to open source the plans of the custom chips they used, enabling replacements to be engineered in the future. 
Hurray Banana View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurray Banana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by dj_yt dj_yt wrote:

Originally posted by Shinydaz Shinydaz wrote:

Yes, then the weakest point becomes the PCB itself. I wonder if Sega could be persuaded to open source the plans of the custom chips they used, enabling replacements to be engineered in the future. 

I wish all the manufacturers would do this, it would be a great gesture for the arcade communities. We can dream.
J69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 6:39pm
I better get saving my pennies then!
BarrySlisk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarrySlisk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 6:51pm
They probably don't even have the information anymore.
ronsplooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronsplooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 9:36pm
Ordered a set and I don't even have my Outrun yet Smile Looks a quality product!
KillingYOUsoftly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KillingYOUsoftly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 2:47pm
Just received mine, omg these gears are the NUTS!

If you own an Outrun, you will regret not getting these when they are gone.

quality quality product, think they may weigh more than the cab itself!

Hey Craig, thanks so much for taking the time and effort to produce these.

Simon.
Ordyne View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ordyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by KillingYOUsoftly KillingYOUsoftly wrote:

Just received mine, omg these gears are the NUTS!

If you own an Outrun, you will regret not getting these when they are gone.

quality quality product, think they may weigh more than the cab itself!

Hey Craig, thanks so much for taking the time and effort to produce these.

Simon.

Glad you like the gears Simon! Thumbs Up
J69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 5:13pm
How many are left Craig? I need some but I'm skint for the next week or two!
Ordyne View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ordyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 11:16am
Originally posted by J69 J69 wrote:

How many are left Craig? I need some but I'm skint for the next week or two!

I had 100 made and only offered them up here so far so I think your safe for a week or two! Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
  Share Topic