Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Tech, Maintenance & Repairs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Pandora's box 2600 jamma trips PSU

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mx5dob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pandora's box 2600 jamma trips PSU
    Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 4:19pm
Hi all. Went and bought a crap pandoras box from ebay to while away the isolation hours. Prob is it keeps tripping my PSU when connected. Its got 5 volts going into it. Any idea's?

This is the version:

Cheers,
Paul
TheDaddy View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 4:48pm
Could be anything - If its blowing then there is probably a short somewhere. Cheap caps !

Other boards ok on that PSU ?

Dave.

Edited by TheDaddy - 25 Mar 2020 at 4:48pm
AKA Wonderboy. If there is such a thing as reincarnation , knowing my luck , I will come back as me !!
Flinnster View Drop Down

2 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 5:16pm
Pandoras boxes usually only use the 12v in I recall. See if the 5v and -5v pins even go anywhere with a mulletmeter.

WTD: Outrun DLX(yes REALLY!), Rolling Thunder, PacMania
Parts WTD: Any Dino King / LnB / MushiKing Spare Parts!
mx5dob View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mx5dob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by TheDaddy TheDaddy wrote:

Could be anything - If its blowing then there is probably a short somewhere. Cheap caps !

Other boards ok on that PSU ?

Dave.

Everyth8ng else seems fine. One pcb i dug out if storage appears to be dead so need to check.that too
mx5dob View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mx5dob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by Flinnster Flinnster wrote:

Pandoras boxes usually only use the 12v in I recall. See if the 5v and -5v pins even go anywhere with a mulletmeter.

Will do:)
SUPERSPRINT View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SUPERSPRINT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 9:16pm

with a mulletmeter.

Everyone needs a mulletmeter

Take the plastic box off the pcb and have a look for damage 

Edited by SUPERSPRINT - 25 Mar 2020 at 9:16pm
mx5dob View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mx5dob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 8:10am
Originally posted by SUPERSPRINT SUPERSPRINT wrote:

with a mulletmeter.

Everyone needs a mulletmeter

Take the plastic box off the pcb and have a look for damageĀ 

Good. Plan. Will do!
TheDaddy View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 9:12am
Check PSU works with other things - If it does send the multi back !!! I would not bother messing around with it , Taking it to pieces will void guarantee and waste your time. They will send you a replacement.

Dave.
AKA Wonderboy. If there is such a thing as reincarnation , knowing my luck , I will come back as me !!
Robbiedog View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbiedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 9:19am
The auction link you shared says it's definitely 12v DC?
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I am blaming you.
TheDaddy View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 9:33am
Originally posted by Robbiedog Robbiedog wrote:

The auction link you shared says it's definitely 12v DC?

Yeh good point , It does not say what Amperage it is though so I suppose it could be blowing because of that as 12v on most PSU's that have 5 as well are 2 - 5 amps (Ish). Doubt it will be that as 100's will be using them but worth a look I suppose.

Dave.
mx5dob View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mx5dob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 2:46pm
Got it to boot on my old LCD computer monitor/supergun. perhaps the screen res is too high for my cab monitor?
gunblade View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gunblade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 2:52pm
unless you have a hd crt monitor in the cab then yes- its in the spec listing
lucky you did not blow the horizontal transistor on the chassis
TheDaddy View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 3:15pm
Does it not use CGA (Not as I know much about it , Just wondering ??)

mx5dob View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mx5dob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by gunblade gunblade wrote:

unless you have a hd crt monitor in the cab then yes- its in the spec listing
lucky you did not blow the horizontal transistor on the chassis

bloody hell. lucky escape then!
Out of interesst what would happen if that did happen? no picture at all? bad syncing?

might have to buy a used older model at some point for the cab and leave this one for the supergun

Edited by mx5dob - 26 Mar 2020 at 4:31pm
Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 5:10pm
Some of them can be a bit of a pig to get running on 15Khz. Just because it has the jamma connector is no guarantee sadly.

Not sure what the 'solution' was. Some you held down the menu/setting button on the side while booting, others you just needed to have no connection on the VGA, others needed a new SD card image etc.. etc..
Problem is not knowing exactly what the pcb is inside (ie what was skimped on!) and what combination of hardware & software image has been spliced together by the vendor.

Edited by Flinnster - 26 Mar 2020 at 5:12pm

WTD: Outrun DLX(yes REALLY!), Rolling Thunder, PacMania
Parts WTD: Any Dino King / LnB / MushiKing Spare Parts!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic