ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Trading Post > Wanted
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

PC for Blast City running Demul and Mame

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PC for Blast City running Demul and Mame
    Posted: 07 Nov 2019 at 1:54pm
Hi guys I'm looking to find a PC setup ready to be put into a blast city. It must be able to run Demul and mame at the correct resolution supported by the blast. Message me if you have any info, regards Fire10
ZedEx48K View Drop Down
User
User

8-Bit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZedEx48K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2019 at 7:29pm
A core 2 duo and an average vid card will do the job easy enough, but you may as well get some power that way you can add other emus when the need takes you.
fire10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 8:20am
Hi mate thanks for the info. I build pcs so that should not be too much of an issue its the setting up i dont fully understand. I have all of the emulators etc setup on my namco noir hd but crt is a different beast. From what I have read you have to use certain radeons that work with crtemudriver, nother thing ive never used. I would like a really good spec radeon but dont know which is compatable with crtemudriver. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated. I have a Sega Blast City with a manual sync 15/24/31khz monitor (again I dont fully understand that) and really do not want to damage the monitor. All the best Ant
delatroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote delatroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 8:29am
Hello I suggest building a small ITX PC for your needs and putting it inside the cab either in a small ITX case or without. You could get second hand parts off eBay and go from there. Not sure how switching between the PC and arcade hardware works if you will have both.
ZedEx48K View Drop Down
User
User

8-Bit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZedEx48K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 8:32am
Well you could always just set the the Blast to 31k and then set the PC to run at 640x480, that is the least hassle route (though I shall wait for the arguments about native res for mame games) and would be perfect for Dreamcast/Naomi games, that way you can use any GPU and normal drivers.
urbanledge View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote urbanledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 8:43am
Originally posted by ZedEx48K ZedEx48K wrote:

Well you could always just set the the Blast to 31k and then set the PC to run at 640x480, 

Does the splash screen/bios cause a problem doing this?
I have a 31k only monitor (naomi) I'd like to do the same.
thanks

ZedEx48K View Drop Down
User
User

8-Bit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZedEx48K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by urbanledge urbanledge wrote:

Originally posted by ZedEx48K ZedEx48K wrote:

Well you could always just set the the Blast to 31k and then set the PC to run at 640x480, 

Does the splash screen/bios cause a problem doing this?
I have a 31k only monitor (naomi) I'd like to do the same.
thanks

Don't quote me, I think WinXP is fine and low res, I think Win7 goes up to 800x600, seem to remember bios post screen is fine, but about 6 years since I was last near a Naomi cab.

However, you can get timer power cords that will enable the display to fire up after X amount of seconds so it powers up after desktop.
fire10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 6:14pm
Thankyou for the input guys its really appreciated, where does crtemudriver come into this, ive heard radeon is the graphics card to go for but whats the highest spec card supported. Thanks again
2huwman View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2huwman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 6:29pm
They're all listed here

http://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/viewtopic.php?id=295
Message me if you need a JAMMA Cab-ready 15Khz MAME PC!

https://www.arcadepcs.com/
yoganuggy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yoganuggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 6:31pm
the highest spec card is a r9 380x. That was the last official model that has analogue out over the dvi-i port.

I've 5 or 6 pretty beefy PCs running these cards and they are perfect when paired with a good cpu (i7-6700k).

Groovy mame looks amazing even for 15khz games on a 31khz monitor thanks to the super resolutions and the scanlines it generates.

Demul/m2 run and look perfect at 640x480

fire10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 7:18pm
That's brilliant info thanks guys, what operating system do you use. Cant wait to get my CRT blast city up and running. I'm currently running a hyperspin system on my namco noir but really cant wait to get this sorted
yoganuggy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yoganuggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 7:33pm
Windows 10 is the best. Once configured and you tell it the type of monitor you have, emudriver wont let you set any incompatible resolutions.
640x480p is native for the CRT if in 31Khz mode but when navigating the OS you can go choose higher e.g. 1024x768 interlaced and it's not too bad on the eyes. (Nothing like the flicker on a 640x480 interlaced signal to a 15Khz monitor)

Though keep an eye out for the major Windows 10 updates (e.g. 1809, 1903 etc) as sometimes it resets the video drivers and you don't want it sending a 1024x768 progressive signal.

I'd consider leave the monitor in 31Khz mode (as I said, 15Khz games still look perfect in groovymame) but if you decide to set the CRT to 15Khz then you will have to use calamity's bios hacking tool so it boots in 15Khz and let it set the max interlaced res in the OS at 640x480 interlaced.

Edited by yoganuggy - 08 Nov 2019 at 7:34pm
fire10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 7:38pm
Damn you know your stuff mate, can I contact you when I have all the pieces in place. Thanks again everyone its really appreciated a lot
ZedEx48K View Drop Down
User
User

8-Bit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZedEx48K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 10:04am
Don't go with Win10, there's soooo many things you have to disable before it becomes usable for emulation/frontends/power up,down. Win7 will do you fine if you want to be a bit more modern than WinXP, after that you have to have an online cab just to keep re-arming the license etc (hah not that you won't be 'fixing' that).

Plus nothing about Win10 is 640 friendly (you can get into it, but you will be screwed trying to use most menus).
fire10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 10:45am
Thanks very much for the info mate, very much appreciated
yoganuggy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yoganuggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 11:28am
If you are not going online windows 7 would be fine just keep in mind it's obsolete as of January. XP doesn't work for many 3d emulators as the direct x libraries are missing.

Have to say I've no issues at all running windows 10 across all cabs. 640x480 is fine interlaced on 15khz (e.g. hantarex mtc9110) and you can go double that interlaced for 31khz (e.g. sanwa 29es31)

All my cabs are networked and online for multiplayer. I generally remote desktop into the cabs to do any config from the laptop as some emu and windows menus you can't see all the content in 640x480. You can work in full hd with remote desktop while the actual graphics card is still outputting the lower res to the crt displaying the lock screen.

Edited by yoganuggy - 09 Nov 2019 at 11:29am
fire10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 12:13pm
Wow superb great to get all of the info from you guys thanks very much I really appreciate it. I was trying to build into my plans whether it was worth buying a naomi netboot, seemed a bit annoying as I have demul running great on my namco hd monitor but wasnt certain if demul would display correctly on a CRT monitor. I have to say demul seemed the way forward as my setup has very few issues and obviously you dont need special io boards for different interfaces, very little info on the internet though
yoganuggy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yoganuggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2019 at 10:55am
The interface of PC to naomi is mostly plug and play:

audio - 3.5mm Audio Jack to RCA Cable

video - ATI card with emudriver connected to the the VGA cable

controls - Everywhere online will recommend the jvspac. But these are no longer produced since 2016 so you have to DIY.

For my DIY solution I bought these from RS-Online:
i) 176289-1 - TE Connectivity Female Connector Housing - AMP Universal Power, 3.96mm Pitch, 12 Way, 3 Row RS Stock No. 719-4379 Mfr. Part No. 176289-1 x 2
ii) 175149-1 TE Connectivity AMP Universal Power Male Crimp Terminal Contact 22AWG RS Stock No. 712-1993 Mfr. Part No. 175149-1 pack of 50

Then I bought a minpac and wired it to the above connector blocks.

Then you have a nice plug and play solution for controls letting you swap between the PC and Naomi easily:

ZedEx48K View Drop Down
User
User

8-Bit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZedEx48K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2019 at 11:39am
Bleh to mini-pacs, they are in the past with keyboard controls (some of which are annoying like ALT used) just pick up a couple of cheap pads like those snes ones for 3 quid and use XPadder, you can set up much better combos with it.
fire10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2019 at 12:23pm
Really great to get the input on this hopefully it will help others in the future. What are you guys opinions on Naomi Netboot vs Demul in regards to quality and ease of use, be great to get your feedback
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic