Forum Home Forum Home > Arcade > General Arcade Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Pong Scratch build

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kaizen088 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pong Scratch build
    Posted: 25 Aug 2018 at 9:24am
I've had a request to build another Pong cabinet so I thought I'd take you all along for the ride.

Previous build thread here:

This one will use a reproduction discrete logic (TTL) PCB based off the original Pong schematic and will play exactly the same as the original.

I redrew the plans using Design Spark Mechanical and will tweak them as I go so I'll end up with an accurate set of drawings for future builds.

The first thing to do was make up a template for the side profile.

The first panel was then rough cut and flush trimmed around the template, it was then used as a template to flush trim the second panel, this way they are both identical.

I have the artwork left over from the last Pong build.

I also got a second control panel overlay done when I built the first cab which has saved a bit of time.

Trying to find the correct knobs that match the original cab is a major pain, these are the closest I can find so far.

This is what the originals looked like.

I'll try to get the rest of the woodgrain panels cut tomorrow and if possible the remainder of the panels as well.

Edited by Kaizen088 - 25 Aug 2018 at 9:44am
ataridude74 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ataridude74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2018 at 10:18am
I just checked out your first build, awesome, I love Pong and all Bronze Age games.

Where did you get the blank PCB from?  I'd like to get one to build, and as a back-up to the original (Midway) I am currently using.
serve the public, protect the innocent, uphold the law
Kaizen088 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaizen088 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2018 at 10:29am
The guy who designed the PCB (Pong74LS) sold the rights and PCB files to another person who got a couple of PCBs produced for me but I can't get any more.
He's planning on redesigning the PCB and selling them as kits but that may be a few years off.

I started to draw the schematics up myself and design my own board that will look more like the original but I've had to put the project on hold for the time being.

See thread here

Edited by Kaizen088 - 25 Aug 2018 at 10:34am
Kaizen088 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaizen088 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2018 at 10:25am
All panels except for the top have been cut, everything except for the two woodgrain panels at the front were cut from a single sheet of 2400mmx600mmx16mm sheet at Bunnings.

The base was cut from a single length of 90mmx35mmx3m structural pine.

Seeing as this is a replica I thought it would be cool to add a serial number plate and backdoor sheet for it.

This is build number two so it gets serial number AA-002.
I cant remember exactly where I gleaned this template from but Bruno was attached to the file name (Darth Nunno??), possibly Etienne??. 
If there's a vector version available that would be awesome to get a hold of as I know a guy who does adhesive backed aluminium plates like the original, if not this will suffice.

Original serial plate...

The backdoor sheet is the same as the original just knocked up in Word.

Original back door sheet...

virtvic View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Cabaret King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote virtvic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2018 at 2:59pm
I love that pong reproduction pcb. Will your one have an edge connector on it?

I started doing a perf board one like your earlier ones, but was waiting on parts and I parked the project - I must get around to finishing it...

Love your work Thumbs Up

Here's a pong Qube I made a few years ago. I used an old original pong (clone) console and a 5" b*w crt tv.

THE PENCE IS MIGHTIER THAN THE SWORD!

Check out the podcast

http://tenpencearcade.co.uk

Got cabarets? > CALL ME!
Kaizen088 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaizen088 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2018 at 3:13pm
Nice work, I plan on doing a bartop unit in the future.

Yeah the whole idea in doing the reproduction PCB myself was to have something that could plug into an original cabinet or be put in a repro cabinet using a standard edge connector and and keep the format of the original PCB. I was planning on including the option to swap between AC or DC supply using a couple of changeable links as well. I'll get back to it but only when a few other projects are finished.
Kaizen088 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaizen088 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2018 at 11:28am
I made a bit more progress on the cab today.
Originally I was going to cover the control panel and bezel with yellow vinyl and use yellow paint underneath as a base but I think the paint is a closer match to the original so I just need to give the control panel one more coat and the bezel another two coats.

The paint used is Dulux Duramax Dandelion Yellow.

Kaizen088 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaizen088 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 8:23am
Pong cab build is completed.
Still need to tidy up the wiring but the rest is done.

Edited by Kaizen088 - 14 Sep 2018 at 8:29am
virtvic View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Cabaret King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote virtvic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 9:29am
That is god damn beautiful - now, answer my PM, so I can get my pong circuit going!

THE PENCE IS MIGHTIER THAN THE SWORD!

Check out the podcast

http://tenpencearcade.co.uk

Got cabarets? > CALL ME!
neil1637 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neil1637 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 12:56pm
Beautiful. Awesome. And lots of other complimentary adjectives. Exceptional.
Please visit my Arcade Diary Blog at https://neilsarcadediary.wordpress.com/

Grail search - blue Donkey kong upright.
big10p View Drop Down

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 1:15pm
Niiiiiiiiiiiiice!!!
Kaizen088 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaizen088 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2018 at 3:42am
Cabinet has been delivered to the arcade...

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic