CRT Fight!

CMYKhazi-Dan

Saikyo Style 💪
vacBacker
Feedback
2 (100%)
Credits
1,439CR
A recent conversation reminded me of a comparison I did a while back on three different CRT screens that I owned.
I think it's interesting to see picture display preference, albeit your eyes/brain doesn't even notice any difference when playing!

No shenanigans (although no.2 is a bit less bright) – photos of the actual screen captured by my camera

Thoughts on preference if anybody is interested :D

SFZ3-CRT-comparison.jpeg
 

2DForever

Newbie
Feedback
3 (100%)
Credits
104CR
Good use of Dan. Those pinks really help those scanlines shine ;)

1 and 3 are pretty similar and what I’d like to see. But 2 having the stronger horizontal lines is certainly more nostalgic!
 

RygarR

Active member
vacBacker
Feedback
3 (100%)
Credits
408CR
Good use of Dan. Those pinks really help those scanlines shine ;)

1 and 3 are pretty similar and what I’d like to see. But 2 having the stronger horizontal lines is certainly more nostalgic!
These days, I kinda like the scan lines. Thinking back, however, I don't remember them from the early days of home computers or arcades. In my memory, everything was more like 1.
 

John Bennett

Senior Member
vacBacker
Feedback
10 (100%)
Credits
5,240CR
You'd have been lucky to see a monitor that looked like 2, as that's got a much higher dot pitch than a standard arcade monitor (either a BVM or one of those 29" Tri-Sync thingies, I'm guessing).

1 is probably how most monitors would've looked if they were reasonably well set-up.
As I'm a CRT projector bore:
Toshiba 43VJ33Q:
4962c111-3342-4e45-a80d-40b3f3f7d434.jpg

Ampro 3600 CRT Projector
3168cf6f-3652-480b-96c6-fc36246e1121.jpg

You may notice there's no RGB dot mask. That's the joys of overlaying the pixels from three tubes on top of each other.
 

big10p

Coins detected in pocket!
vacBacker
Feedback
12 (100%)
Credits
5,967CR
I didn’t know they were underrated, Phillips made the B and O top end CRTs IIRC. I’ve always been very pleased with my Panasonic CRT. Still soldering on after 35 years since I bought it for my then new SNES.
I didn't know about any connection to B&O. Just doesn't seem to be much praise for Philips in the CRT world. I noticed that several ICs in my Sony Trinitron TV are Philips.

Our first colour TV back in the 80s was Panasonic. Quintrix tube and built like a tank. It was a great TV.
 

Max...

Active member
Feedback
6 (100%)
Credits
412CR
I didn't know about any connection to B&O. Just doesn't seem to be much praise for Philips in the CRT world. I noticed that several ICs in my Sony Trinitron TV are Philips.

Our first colour TV back in the 80s was Panasonic. Quintrix tube and built like a tank. It was a great TV.
I think the B and O tubes (Phillips) were made to a higher spec, better components, graded etc and on a separate production line.
 

John Bennett

Senior Member
vacBacker
Feedback
10 (100%)
Credits
5,240CR
I do get the argument that the Trinitron dot mask is a bit intrusive and not super authentic.
This is an MS9. Not up to the geometry or sharpness of a Trinitron but the pixels did flow into each other nicely
IMG_4895.jpeg
 
Top