Print Page | Close Window

Sega OutRun2 Japanese Single

Printed From: ukVac.com
Category: Technical
Forum Name: Artwork and Restorations
Forum Description: Arcade related artwork & place to show or get help with restorations
URL: http://www.ukvac.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=352153
Printed Date: 25 Sep 2017 at 5:12am

Topic: Sega OutRun2 Japanese Single
Posted By: Outrun2
Subject: Sega OutRun2 Japanese Single
Date Posted: 31 May 2016 at 5:47pm
Haven't done a proper restoration thread since my first sitdown driver resto - the voyage that was the 2 x initialD singles to twin OutRun2SP.  I've done a few restos/conversions since then but never really documented any of it - combination of impatience to just get on with it and not remembering to take photos/write it down and assumption that people are bored of Sega driver threads by now! LOL

This one is a little unique though, in that it is a Japanese built cab (of course) and there are some subtle - and not so subtle - differences between UK and Japanese built machines.  F355-OR2 conversions have been done numerous times - even with Japanese cabs (sorry to mention it again Ian), but thought it would be interesting to compare as this cab was originally built as an OR2 and is is the way with Sega, there are differences within differences! Oh and there are some 'issues' to sort on it so this might be a good place to document it all..

Arrival

Unlike most of my cabs, this was one was delivered - I usually like to hire a van and collect or just shove them in the car (Daytona2 Ian?).  Luckily delivery day was fine and sunny - I've picked up cabs in the pouring rain before and it does take the edge off it slightly (F355 twin Olly?).

Cabs look great sat on the driveway - you get some nice shots and see all around them, but there was lots to move before rolling the cab into its new home in the garage so my usual schoolboy error hit straightaway - forgot to take nice sunny arrival photo Embarrassed

Anyway, this is how she looked moments after being rolled in..

https://flic.kr/p/Y4hQPb" rel="nofollow">

Yes, it's going to be interesting working on this with no space to breath, let alone actually look inside and do things!

Once the wrapping was off I could assemble the pop card and see the cab in all its glory.  Therefore, obligatory shots of various parts of cab - including some of the unique Japanese features.  Bear in mind this is a restoration thread, not a finished article so things are not perfect.. yet.

https://flic.kr/p/XJMKKJ" rel="nofollow">

Japanese sideart - note the Japanese text under the dude and his two ladies.  What you can't see is the excellent quality of the sticker itself - superb print quality and vibrant colours.  Also foil backed Italian flag stickers.

https://flic.kr/p/Y4hQpJ" rel="nofollow">

Japanese base lid sticker - foil backed and set in the classic Japanese driver base recess.

https://flic.kr/p/Y4hQtm" rel="nofollow">

Japanese base side sticker - foil backed of course.

https://flic.kr/p/YkSB2M" rel="nofollow">

Japanese dash sticker - foil backed and complete with Japanese text which I don't know why is cool, it just is.

https://flic.kr/p/YkSB5x" rel="nofollow">

Japanese Coin tower - just happens to have 100 Yen coin entry - again cool (if you have to ask why you're in the wrong thread LOL)

https://flic.kr/p/Y4hQTQ" rel="nofollow">

Japanese certificate stickers.

https://flic.kr/p/Y4hQWf" rel="nofollow">

Japanese spec monitor - you don't get Toshiba PF tri-sync monitors in UK built drivers.  This one is burn free, but has issues

https://flic.kr/p/Y4hQHu" rel="nofollow">

You may have noticed the most obvious gem from a Japanese OR2 single is missing a detail shot or two - that's a bit of a sore point right now..

The topper

Ah yes, the elusive and gorgeous, bespoke OutRun2 single Japanese topper and pop card assembly.  A glory to behold especially when lit, showing the lovely 3 dimensional artwork on the plexi at its best.

Sadly, this one took a bit of a hit somewhere along the way so as great as this one still looks from most angles, I just can't get the side cover damage out of my head Ouch

https://flic.kr/p/YkSB7r" rel="nofollow">

https://flic.kr/p/Y4hQRq" rel="nofollow">

Something must have scraped this big time as the gouge is at least a few millimetres deep and rough as hell.  I'm amazed it didn't puncture the plastic or crack it - the Chinese copy plastic I have would have shattered into a million pieces with less of a bump.  Another nod to Japanese build quality I guess Wink

I may try sanding/polishing but I fear this will just make it worse and in any case the shape wouldn't come back.  I'll let the dust settle first and give it some thought.  I don't really want to go down the filling route as the idea behind this cab was to keep it as original Japanese as possible and maybe retain a little character - there are some superb full restos done on cabs now anyway and this isn't a competition for me.

I just wasn't bargaining on this much character on this part though Ermm

So, things to do

1. Sort monitor - Toshiba PF monitor wobbles, has some strange interference, is a bit dark and has poor focus/geometry - more to follow.
  2. Seat needs attention - crack free back plastic required, attend to cushions and fit working seat adjuster.
  3. New stickers on monitor surround and base sides - the bezel sticker is the only decal on the cab that isn't original Japanese - I have foil base side stickers I may apply if these don't clean up well enough and I think the cab is worth it - foil stickers are impossible to find.
  4. General clean and tart up required - NOS wheel emblem, up/down shifter and shifter plastics - my usual LOL
  5. Squeaking steering, loose shifter and intermittent loss of acceleration.

So, enough talk - lets get on with it!  First up has to be that very unhappy monitor..

-------------
Would like:
No more cabs.. please!!

Replies:
Date Posted: 31 May 2016 at 5:48pm
Right then, this monitor.  At the moment it's like, what's the big deal about Tosh PF?  The image quality is worse than one of my old Sanwa 29e31s monitors fitted in my old initialD cabs! Shocked

So far I've found out that there are numerous versions of Toshiba PF and while all have a simple remote board and On Screen Display (OSD) for adjustment, this only gives access to basic adjustments such as size, position, brightness and contrast (separate 15K and 31K).  My display has all sorts wrong with it so fortunately with it being a later model (D29CQ51) it has physical pots on the chassis for trapezoid, pincushion, parallel and H-frequency.

Pots on this version of the chassis..

https://flic.kr/p/YkSAYv" rel="nofollow">

Remote board..

https://flic.kr/p/Y5JWif" rel="nofollow">

There's a fascinating thread over on ArcadeOtaku that goes into detail about the 'hidden' extended menu and how to access it so get the extra adjustments via the OSD.  I won't repeat all that here, but some brilliant work done which deserves huge credit - have a read http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=19001" rel="nofollow - here if interested. 

My display wobbles constantly, has poor focus/geometry and is a little dark.  Here's a vid showing the wobble..

While poking around inside the cab looking to see condition and any other differences I hadn't known about before owning a Japanese OR2 I was amazed to see a stepdown transformer mounted on the control panel shelf/frame just below the monitor.  As this was originally a Japanese cab that was expecting 100V out of the wall socket the stepdown has been added at some stage to enable it to run on UK 230V.

That's fine, I've done this before, but not by fitting the stepdown so close to the monitor.  They usually go in the base, under the pedal area, but with this cab the space there is occupied by a socket/plug that powers the onboard LAN/switcher so someone decided to mount it a bit higher up.

Stepdown directly under monitor..
https://flic.kr/p/Y4hQXC" rel="nofollow">

Hoping for an easy fix I moved the stepdown out of the cab completely and gave it a try.  What do you know - problem cured as easy as that! Big smile

After tweaking the focus pot on the LOPT and giving the pincushion a little twiddle I had a much better grid..

Very happy with that for now - a little convergence on the right side, but this is a CRT and I believe a little convergence is to be expected on a PF screen.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to up the brightness - it looks ok to a point, but I dunno it just isn't as vibrant in colour as say a Nanao MS2932.  Need to ideas on what to try here.

Also there is some interference or something - flashing pixels you might notice.  I don't think I see this every time I power up but it is quite noticeable especially on a black background.  Again - need some help..

-------------
Would like:
No more cabs.. please!!

Date Posted: 31 May 2016 at 5:50pm
Yep, starting to get the Tosh PF love-in now - the display is looking very tasty after a bit more tweaking Big smile

To get a bit more brightness I very slightly upped the SCREEN pot on the lopt – this lifted things dramatically, much more vivid image now but not too bright that it soaks out the colour.  Blacks are nice and black and the whites aren’t piercing or washed out!  lopt does squeal faintly – not sure if this is a bad sign – it did it before so I haven’t made anything worse.

Just the interference to get sorted now, so re-read terminator2k2’s recent thread about http://www.ukvac.com/forum/strange-interference_topic351953_post954450.html?KW=#954450" rel="nofollow - interference on his MS2932 where a missing screw near the VGA input on this chassis solved the problem.  The issue I’m having looked very similar to that – random sparkly pixels all over the screen - so thought I’d check out the screws securing the chassis on my monitor..

Surely not..??

https://flic.kr/p/XJMKNu" rel="nofollow">

Well, I have no idea for the reason, but after tightening this down I have no more interference issue!!!  Monitor gurus may be able to explain this (grounding issue??) or laugh at this improbable cure, but after testing for around 45 minutes and twice restarting the machine the problem does seem to have gone completely.

My camera is just not good enough to capture the image quality, but this is a very nice picture now.  Starting to really like this cab now..

I might still try to get one of the custom made extended OSD menu remote boards as there might be further improvements to be had – or maybe I should just leave well alone before a ruin it all??! LOL

-------------
Would like:
No more cabs.. please!!

Posted By: griffo83x
Date Posted: 31 May 2016 at 6:42pm
very nice gary, i would of loved this if i had not bought the scud race, shame about the topper as you probably know i had a similar thing happen to scud :( . not the end of the world but still dissapointing

im glad you got this cab though mate , as i know its gone to a good home and will be a great in your line up of sega drivers :)

jap spec too , great :)

-------------
WANTED ridge racer upright

Posted By: terminator2k2
Date Posted: 31 May 2016 at 7:14pm
For the brightness You could try the a1 screen voltage adjustment on the lopt. It might have been turned down a little in the past to prevent screen burn.

As for embedding youtube videos try:

[TUBE][/TUBE]
with just the code on the end of the link

Date Posted: 31 May 2016 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by terminator2k2 terminator2k2 wrote:

For the brightness You could try the a1 screen voltage adjustment on the lopt. It might have been turned down a little in the past to prevent screen burn.

Tried this on my old Sanwas and didn't have any luck but will give it a go.
Thanks for the youtube tip as well - seems to be different on every board I'm on and I forget this one Thumbs Up

-------------
Would like:
No more cabs.. please!!

Posted By: slowcade
Date Posted: 31 May 2016 at 9:29pm
Congratulations with this beauty! Clap I'm looking forward to following this thread! Even though your monitor has some issues you are lucky that you don't have any screen burn. And most of the cabinet is in very good condition. Thumbs Up Is the seat cushion ok?

I wonder if the floor mat has been replaced. Usually they are very worn, even the powder coating underneath is usually worn. This one looks almost brand new? And the diamond pattern is slightly different than the Jap ones that I usually see.

-------------

Posted By: bbz149
Date Posted: 31 May 2016 at 9:57pm
Nice one Gary Thumbs Up Who the F mounts a Transformer near a Monitor Shocked LOL

-------------

Posted By: muddymusic
Date Posted: 01 Jun 2016 at 9:40am
Ha! What a great fix for the monitor, so it's had the sh*tty picture from NEW! Confused

I think you'll be able to sort that topper out, patience and a lot of polishing. I wouldn't bother filling it, getting a paint match will be so hard. I'd think about getting a load of different grade sandpaper, all 3 grades of novus, and a rotary polishing tool, then work, work and work it until it disappears, then go over the whole side with a good polishing compound to get an even finish. You probably already know that though, but have been a little blinded by the fact it got damage - which you CAN sort Smile

Posted By: nintendoid
Date Posted: 01 Jun 2016 at 10:16am
well done on the monitor will have to come and have a look at the Japanese cabinet at some point :)

-------------

Posted By: seanr28
Date Posted: 01 Jun 2016 at 10:35am
looking at them pictures, you now have too many cabs to use most of them....:) you need to sell some to me:)

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Jun 2016 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by slowcade slowcade wrote:

Congratulations with this beauty! Clap .. Is the seat cushion ok?

I wonder if the floor mat has been replaced. ..

Thanks man Smile

The seat cushions are present, but in need of repair/replacement.  The back cushion is ok, but has a hole right in the middle and the base cushion is reasonably complete but has been peeled back making it a bit crinkled.  I don't have any photos yet, but will post some when I get to fixing them.

The floor mat has had a metal checkerplate panel bolted to it so I imagine it's work underneath.  Looks ok and has been done well, but I will see if I can turn it back to original somehow.  New mats are no longer available from Sega, but I found a near perfect match for that pattern.

Originally posted by muddymusic muddymusic wrote:

Ha! What a great fix for the monitor, so it's had the sh*tty picture from NEW! Confused

I think you'll be able to sort that topper out..

Yes, well ever since it was imported to the UK anyway.  The markings on the transformer are Japanese (or Chinese - who knows) so it was probably converted out there before being shipped!  Everything else seems original and untouched so I know it hasn't been butchered - hate seeing choc box terminals and hacked wiring going all over the place in a cab Confused

As for the topper, I'll give myself plenty of time to consider what to do - no chance of getting a replacement so will have a think..

-------------
Would like:
No more cabs.. please!!

Date Posted: 01 Jun 2016 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by Outrun2 Outrun2 wrote:

The floor mat has had a metal checkerplate panel bolted to it so I imagine it's work underneath.  Looks ok and has been done well, but I will see if I can turn it back to original somehow.  New mats are no longer available from Sega, but I found a near perfect match for that pattern.

Sounds good! You may not remember it now, but I found a near perfect match for the original pattern too, and I bought a small roll. Let me know if I can help. Smile

-------------

Posted By: Bods
Date Posted: 01 Jun 2016 at 1:30pm

Ha! What a great fix for the monitor, so it's had the sh*tty picture from NEW! Confused

I think you'll be able to sort that topper out, patience and a lot of polishing. I wouldn't bother filling it, getting a paint match will be so hard. I'd think about getting a load of different grade sandpaper, all 3 grades of novus, and a rotary polishing tool, then work, work and work it until it disappears, then go over the whole side with a good polishing compound to get an even finish. You probably already know that though, but have been a little blinded by the fact it got damage - which you CAN sort Smile

It may, just thinking though, depends on thickness of the plastic, it could make it quite thin if it's quite deep, they are what 3mm thick going on the uk twin ends

Thats a real shame and right on the front corner you see tooOuch 

Once you fill it, then gotta paint them both then won't look right with the sides, could do with some sort of plastic fill stuff that is plastic and to raise it up which could be coloured to match and then polish it back, but not sure if you can get anything like that

Just had a google and found this Gary

http://www.repairproducts.co.uk/page12.htm" rel="nofollow - http://www.repairproducts.co.uk/page12.htm

Maybe something like that would do the job if it's too deep, if you can colour match it again

-------------
WANTED! Buggy Boy Junior Rear Seat. Continental Circus Cockpit Lower Rear Light Plexi and more space

Date Posted: 01 Jun 2016 at 1:39pm
The red colour and texture of the sides is quite different from the topper, so I think that you don't really need an accurate colour match. At least if you paint both sides of the topper.

-------------

Posted By: corn
Date Posted: 01 Jun 2016 at 11:49pm
Lovely machine. What an arse something scraped the topper side :-( Still, I'm sure you can probably polish the worst of it out.

Posted By: Vamino
Date Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 12:28am
Looks like you got the cab you wanted mate. I look forward to seeing your progress getting it up to your high standard. Smile

Shame about the topper. Cry

Like some guys have already said, you should be able to polish the worst out of it. Or just buy the next Jp OR2 cab for the topper.

-------------
Insert Coin[s]

Date Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 7:44am
Originally posted by Vamino Vamino wrote:

Or just buy the next Jp OR2 cab for the topper.

That sounds just like the sort of thing he might do

Date Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 1:17pm
Thanks for the comments - my plan here is to share, I don't want to come across as all 'show-offy' Embarrassed LOL

The topper damage is pretty disappointing and couldn't really have happened to a more vital part, but them's the breaks in this hobby I guess.  I appreciate the advice and will get over it I'm sure Wink

@slowcade, I do remember that matting now - looks very similar.  The sample I've been sent is only small but is a very close match, patternwise.  The colour is good but I don't think it is as shiny as yours, or is that the flash?  The matting I have is 3mm thick - what thickness is yours?

-------------
Would like:
No more cabs.. please!!

Date Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 1:52pm

@slowcade, I do remember that matting now - looks very similar.  The sample I've been sent is only small but is a very close match, patternwise.  The colour is good but I don't think it is as shiny as yours, or is that the flash?  The matting I have is 3mm thick - what thickness is yours?

I believe that the original was quite shiny, and the one I got also. I don't know how to describe it, but it's definitely not dull. Smile
3mm sounds quite thick, I think the original (and mine) is closer to 1 mm. But I don't think that really matters?
Will you use contact adhesive to fasten it?

-------------

Posted By: griffo83x
Date Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 5:22pm
hey gary

have you thought about trying to polish out that damage on the topper

not sure if would work , but get some wet and dry sand paper when its wet take of the worst  off and then get something to fit in a drill or grinder with a polishing head on it like what they use to mop the paint on a car see if it will polish out , just a thought :)

-------------
WANTED ridge racer upright

Date Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by griffo83x griffo83x wrote:

hey gary

have you thought about trying to polish out that damage on the topper

not sure if would work , but get some wet and dry sand paper when its wet take of the worst  off and then get something to fit in a drill or grinder with a polishing head on it like what they use to mop the paint on a car see if it will polish out , just a thought :)

that's what I would try, but wouldn't do too much rubbing down...mainly polishing it would do it wonders....it wouldn't get rid of it...but wouldn't make it such an eye sore....

Date Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 7:52pm

Originally posted by Vamino Vamino wrote:

Or just buy the next Jp OR2 cab for the topper.

That sounds just like the sort of thing he might do

I was gonna put a sarkey smiley after the above comment, but then thought no, knowing Gary he would probably actually do it! LOL

-------------
Insert Coin[s]

Posted By: stegrey
Date Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 8:00pm
really made up you got this from me gary just gutted that it got damaged on the way :(

-------------
*SMG*
Wanted: Paperboy cab,Outrun full size upright
Pcbs: Splatterhouse, WWf the arcade game, Moonwalker

Date Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by stegrey stegrey wrote:

really made up you got this from me gary just gutted that it got damaged on the way :(

Thanks mate, I'll do my best to get the cab looking minty - just a shame you didn't get the chance to do it yourself

I was surprised to see the cab wrapped when it arrived - you did a great job so could have been worse if you hadn't been so careful with it.

..and yes Olly/Ian, of course I will be after another OR2 Japanese cab despite what it says in my sig!!

This is where you step in and restrain me, not encourage me!!

-------------
Would like:
No more cabs.. please!!

Posted By: Brettster
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 12:51am
Looking forward to seeing how this goes :)
Got my cab today from Martin too

-------------
Looking for More Space!!

Date Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 6:22pm
Updated http://www.ukvac.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=352153&PID=954907&title=sega-outrun2-japanese-single#954907" rel="nofollow -

-------------
Would like:
No more cabs.. please!!

Date Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 6:42pm
great stuff, at least ive come in handy for something lol

Posted By: paulie
Date Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 7:14pm
Nice work!

Date Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 7:48pm
Congratulations! The picture is looking great!

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 8:21pm
PF Monitors are super nice
Also going to check the screws on my monitor too, nice tips

-------------
Looking for More Space!!

Date Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by terminator2k2 terminator2k2 wrote:

great stuff, at least ive come in handy for something lol

I don't understand it, but it seems to have worked.  Why would they be removed? Why does it make a difference? Maybe it's just coincidence?

Either way, it's a good example of why it's useful to have these sorts of threads on here - you never know when some other sad loser might be struggling with the same problem LOL

Hopefully monitor woes are over now, so I can move on to tarting the cab up a bit - where's my box of NOS goodies.. Wink

-------------
Would like:
No more cabs.. please!!

Date Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 10:01pm
there could be something similar to these earthing contacts on the underside of the pcb...I never took mine out to check...which when screwed down earths that part of the circuit.....but from experience these are normaly wired to the earth of the chassis any way via the pcb traces....

yours from the pics looks like it screws into the plastic only....which wouldn't make sense at all any way.....these things are meant to try us I guess haha....at least your up and running

Date Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 10:42pm
Good job Gary. Thumbs Up

The worst niggles are random monitor or sound interference. I've got a Tosh PF tube and NOS Rodotron chassis to play with but I'm not expecting miracles from the chassis tbh. If it's close to the Sanwa PFX then I'll be happy, otherwise I'll have to track down a Nanao Chassis.

-------------
Insert Coin[s]

Date Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 10:44pm
nice work gary ! i cant wait till my dad can have a look at my cab again least i know the wobble can be sorted! this thread is going to be so helpful :D

-------------
*SMG*

Posted By: jase38
Date Posted: 10 Jun 2016 at 9:54am
Awesome stuff. Glad your well on your way to sorting the monitor issues, you must be well chuffed.  These monitors are lovely, one of the nicest I've seen. :)

-------------
http://planetharriers.blogspot.co.uk" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 17 Jun 2016 at 9:18pm
Ok, looks like I was a bit.. errrmm.. premature

The interference on the picture is back and it seems to be linked to a focus problem because that's back as well. The image is going randomly in and out of focus slightly. Twiddled the focus pot and it seemed to help - picture remained stable, but then the problem came back after the cab was fired up again a few hours later.

Must have inadvertently solved it last time by adjusting the focus pot as I did that at the same time as screwing the chassis down. The focus pot is turned up to the max..

Does this sound like something is on the way out? When it's good it's great but when the problem is there the clarity comes and goes and you get the flashing pixels/interference.

-------------
Would like:
No more cabs.. please!!

Date Posted: 17 Jun 2016 at 10:52pm
Have a word with gunblade, maybe needs a recap or at least some of his magic to make it awesome again :)

-------------
Looking for More Space!!

Posted By: paulie
Date Posted: 17 Jun 2016 at 11:48pm
:( Hope you get it sorted mate.

Date Posted: 18 Jun 2016 at 12:26am
Dunno what to suggest mate, apart from what Brettster suggests and see what Grant says.

I've also got a knackered Nanao PF chassis without a remote board that needs sorting but dunno if it's something Grant can do.

Hope you get to the bottom of the problem mate.

-------------
Insert Coin[s]

Date Posted: 06 Sep 2017 at 4:59pm
Right then, it’s been far too long since I put any updates in here – I’m sure you’ve all fallen off the edge of your seats by now! LOL

..but for anyone still interested, progress has been made, so here we go..

The main issue has been space, I’ve just not had the room to do any proper work on this cab as it was all I could do to just roll it into position until I could find a way of squeezing a quart into a pint pot! Selling cabs is not an option for me as I’m too much of a hoarder I get too attached to them - taking over the house is also a big no-no!

Sometimes my job comes in handy as rather than pulling and pushing cabs around, I was able to virtually do this with the use of my (now bordering on legendary) CAD plan.  Ian can testify that this is, and needs to be, millimetre accurate! LOL

So this has been the state of affairs.  Squeezed in, no access at all and it blocked other cabs – couldn’t even see the OutRun upright! Shocked

Before

I’m not a fan of just having cabs stashed, it’s pointless having them if you can’t enjoy them.  Tinkering and playing is what it’s all about, right?

After a surprisingly short time tweaking, I found an arrangement where all sides of the Jp OR2 cab are now accessible – all I need do is roll it back a couple of feet from the wall/window to get to the back (helps to be slim though!).  Lost a bit of work bench, but I found I only really used this to store spare dashes anyway!!  Doesn’t look a massive difference, but in reality it’s miles better and all other cabs are playable again now..

After

Finally, I can get access to the back of the cab, and that pesky monitor chassis (there's news here too).

More to follow..

-------------
Would like:
No more cabs.. please!!

Posted By: Flinnster
Date Posted: 06 Sep 2017 at 5:18pm
Gotta respect using 3D software to plan out your space Wink
Do tell though, what other sit down drivers do you have there? I'd guess there must be a Daytona and a Sega rally in that lot ;)

-------------

Wanted: - PCBs: Rainbow Islands, Bomb Jack, Rolling Thunder
- Parts needed: Naomi non-swivel castor / wheel, coin mech metal clip for Dino King Door

Date Posted: 06 Sep 2017 at 5:29pm
You're on the right track Wink

OutRun2 single (Jp) in red, then clockwise as follows:

OutRun2SP twin (UK/Jp 80/20)
OutRun upright (UK 1986)
F355 Challenge 2 twin (Jp)
Daytona USA 2 twin (Jp)
initialD 3 single (UK/Jp 60/40)

Makes quite a noise when they're all on!

-------------
Would like:
No more cabs.. please!!

Posted By: Flinnster
Date Posted: 06 Sep 2017 at 5:34pm
Very awesome, I bet that's one roasting hot room when they are all on for a while too!
Envy isn't the word on your cab list there though Thumbs Up

-------------

Wanted: - PCBs: Rainbow Islands, Bomb Jack, Rolling Thunder
- Parts needed: Naomi non-swivel castor / wheel, coin mech metal clip for Dino King Door

Date Posted: 06 Sep 2017 at 5:56pm
I'm still wondering where the F355 DLX and OR2SP SDX are going to go Tongue

-------------
Repro Arcade Artwork supplier, pm me or visit arcadeartshop.com

Posted By: wim outrun repro
Date Posted: 06 Sep 2017 at 7:43pm
good collection  i think i like outrun, 

cheers wim

Date Posted: 06 Sep 2017 at 11:10pm
Lookin forward to the next updates

Date Posted: 06 Sep 2017 at 11:16pm
Nice update mate. Smile
This is gonna be a lovely cab when it's finished. Approve

-------------
Insert Coin[s]

Posted By: moomootown
Date Posted: 06 Sep 2017 at 11:35pm
Just wondering - do you like driving games?

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2017 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by moomootown moomootown wrote:

Just wondering - do you like driving games?

Hehe yea bit samey isn't it? Embarrassed

I do love my driving games, and different types of driving games.  OutRun was my first love so getting an upright back in 1999 was a really special moment.  OutRun2 was a natural follow-on once it was released but it took about 5-6 years to be able to afford one - the twin was originally a pair of UK initialD cabs so that was another long resto project.

Converting an iD to OR2 was a fairly common thing to do a few years ago, but it's frowned upon by iD lovers.  I grew to understand this view while owning them so just had to have an iD cab as well - it's a totally different dash setup and unique to the game, so while you can play iD in an OR2 cab and vice-versa it's just not the same.  I went for iD3 livery as it not as common and the bright green is very 'Japanesey' LOL

F355/2 happened without me really trying - a fantastic condition Jp cab came up for sale 10 minutes away from my home and it was just too nice to turn down!  It's also unique game hardware so not a simple drop into one of the other cabs.

No driver collection is complete without a Model 3 setup and as it's 24k you can't just hack it easily to run in a Chihiro/Naomi setup, therefore that meant I had to have another cab!  Daytona 2 was always an itch I'd wanted to scratch - the game represents Sega at it's greatest 90s pomp, no stone unturned  in the search for perfection and the game oozes class because of this IMO.  I thought it would just be a single cab setup that I could run other Model 3 games in, but the cab looks so gorgeous in all it's twin glory I had to find a way of fitting in a brother for my single.

This OutRun2 single is a bit unnecessary of course, but I am an OutRun fan at heart and I just love the way the Japanese cabs look - that single topper and pop card Heart  My excuse wasdn't it's a nice project and I didn't actually have a cab in regular OutRun2 livery to complete the collection Wink

-------------
Would like:
No more cabs.. please!!

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2017 at 7:18pm
So, with space to work in finally, I just had to get this monitor sorted first - it was starting to get depressing looking at it flashing and sparkling at me! Unhappy

I may have mentioned before, I'm not comfortable working on monitors, and these Tosh PF chassis in particular are difficult to work on as there are no schematics out there.  Apparently Toshiba made them for Sega, handed them over and that was that!

Anything much beyond a simple visual inspection was out of my skillset - I tried earthing the PSU as I'd read sparkles in the display can point to some sort of earthing problem in the cab, but no joy.  The rest of the cab is earthed better than any of my UK cabs so that seemed to be a dead end.

Gunblade was the obvious port of call, but he doesn't have a PF tube/yoke to test on.  He kindly offered to try the chassis out on one of his MS9 setups and see if he could replicate the issues I was having with intermittent focus and sparkling.

However, just as I was about the get on with removing the chassis and sending it off I had a tip off from my good buddy Ian (Vamino) that a chassis had become available on ebay.  The chassis was being sold as working and for an amazingly good price so I didn't hesitate to hit the BIN button!  Even if it didn't work it would surely be useful to have to help get my chassis working.

Turned out the guy had a couple of chassis so a deal was done and I bagged both.  I was determined to get this screen working!!

Before I knew it I was unpacking these.. Tongue

So without much hesitation I picked the best looking chassis and swapped it into the cab, held my breath and fired her up Pinch

First impressions were encouraging, nothing blew up and I got a picture instantly.  Bit blurry, but something to work with.. and no pulsing focus or sparkling issues!!! Big smile

These chassis have a digital OSD and without the extended menus you're limited to basic position/size/brightness and contrast adjustments.  Used these to get the picture the correct size and then moved to the flyback to adjust SCREEN and not one but two FOCUS pots - this was a first for me!  Seemed that the one pot adjusted edge focus and the other centre focus so with a bit of fiddling managed to get a very nice picture! 

I'll make the remote board mod at some point to see if I can get it even nicer, but for now I'm very, very happy Big smile

The video doesn't do it justice, partly as the camera doesn't show the crispness of the image, but partly as I'm shaking with joy!!! LOL

This chassis has really no onboard pots for adjustment - it's a slightly older version of the chassis I believe although there are many slight variations I've discovered.  The original chassis is a PE0493, this replacement is a PB9929

Right, we have a working screen, onto the aesthetics.. 

-------------
Would like:
No more cabs.. please!!

Posted By: tin
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2017 at 7:55pm
Nice nice screen there!

-------------
This is your crew chief // Yeah, the course is really tough // But it's a beautiful day // So good luck!

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2017 at 10:04pm
looks like a tosh pf should :)

-------------
Looking for More Space!!

Date Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 4:35pm
At a glance this cab looks pretty nice already; the plastics are very good, most of the artwork remains undamaged, and now the monitor is right up there.  A closer inspection, however, reveals this cab won’t win any beauty contests – especially not if you have OCD tendencies like me; most of the metalwork on the lower part of the cab is rusty, has been badly sprayed and touched up at some stage, it’s full of dust/sand/spilt pop and the seat cushions are knackered!  Oh yea and the Chihiro fan whines loudly, the marquee light has been hacked to run off 230V, the steering wheel isn’t centred, the accelerator pedal only works 50% of the time and the shifter is as loose as a hooker’s..  

This situation will not do.

Although I have much better access now, I still don’t really have the room to the strip the cab completely, so tidying up was done in stages.  First I stripped the top half of the cab and cleaned all parts inside and out – this was pretty easy, not to mention satisfying, as everything is in good condition on this part of the cab - I’m ignoring the damaged topper box side cover for now! Stern Smile

The main issues are with the base, well the bits on it and in it!

Sorry, I’m crap at remembering to take photos as I go, I just get too into the joy of cleaning and then hours later realise everything is clean and I’ve ruined the before/after comparisons! LOL

Anyway, enough chat, let’s see this pics I did take..

Seat condition/removal. Note the Japanese style cushions – no thick lumps of rubber secured with big plastic rivets here..

The cushions are not great and will be replaced.  Jp style cushions are NLA and near impossible to find in decent shape used, but I have a plan.. Wink

Oh yea, I forgot – the seat adjuster is broken!

Interesting that a Jp OR2 seat base is different to UK version, which is the usual Model 3 style.  This part is from an a Japanese F-Zero..

This is the normal version..

This means different tray covers too..

Note as this is a Jp cab it has a totally different base lid – lock handle rather than covered cam lock and a nice recess for the sticker.  The lid locks from the side of the cab..

-------------
Would like:
No more cabs.. please!!

Date Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 4:41pm
Next onto the footplate, again different to UK spec as it has a nice piece of grey rubber matting secured with stainless steel retainers (these parts are from an original Daytona cab fact fans!).

Well, it should be nice rubber matting – this looks ok on first glance but it shouldn’t have that aluminium checker plate on it and it doesn’t want to be this rusty underneath!!

This is after brushing the layer of loose rust off!

Every metal cover on the lower part of the cab is nasty so I stripped the lot, including pedal base..

Just in case you want to see some grime..

Quick strip down, wipe down and away to get powder coated..

Luckily the base itself has survived very well so I won’t be getting that powdered – Ian won’t be happy, but it’s just too much faffing and not worth the hassle as it’s really very good – nothing like the rest of the metalwork!

-------------
Would like:
No more cabs.. please!!

Date Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 5:22pm
Great job mate. Thumbs Up

What do you mean I won't be happy?! Shocked
Your cab is no longer service station grade, it's a grade above that now. LOL
Soon it will be 'Gary' grade! Approve

-------------
Insert Coin[s]

Posted By: bbz149
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 5:30pm
Gary, you not got that Metal one I got a while back, that not any good?

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 5:31pm
Haha you know that 'service station grade' comment is engraved in my mind now! LOL I kept recalling it while I was working on the cab - it's spurring me on to get the job done to the highest standard! 

Hopefully you won't give me too much grief for not getting the base done - it's in pretty good shape so I thought you might let me off that!  I can always revisit in future if I really need to.. Wink

More updates to come tomorrow as I'm really cracking on with it now.. Big smile

-------------
Would like:
No more cabs.. please!!

Date Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by bbz149 bbz149 wrote:

Gary, you not got that Metal one I got a while back, that not any good?

It would be mate, but I want to turn the footplate back to original - I have the correct matting so it's gonna look great when it's done Smile

-------------
Would like:
No more cabs.. please!!

Date Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 7:07pm

Haha you know that 'service station grade' comment is engraved in my mind now! LOL I kept recalling it while I was working on the cab - it's spurring me on to get the job done to the highest standard! 

Hopefully you won't give me too much grief for not getting the base done - it's in pretty good shape so I thought you might let me off that!  I can always revisit in future if I really need to.. Wink

More updates to come tomorrow as I'm really cracking on with it now.. Big smile

I forgive ya mate! LOL

I've got the same dilemma with the F355 twin I'm in the middle of restoring. One base is good enough to keep, but with it being a UK cab the powdercoating is flaking in some spots. The other side definitely needs doing as it's a rusty mess and I'm pretty sure trying to paint it myself would be a complete disaster! LOL

-------------
Insert Coin[s]

Date Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 7:11pm
I forgot to add, when the accel pedal was doing it's own thing THAT was service station grade at it's finest! LOL

The cab was in pretty decent condition overall, but when it's finished Stegrey is gonna be even more disappointed that he sold it to you.

Not trying to rub it in Ste, honest! Wink

-------------
Insert Coin[s]

Posted By: jase38
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 7:16pm
I love your attention to detail, the cab is coming on a treat. Keep up the awesome work! :)

-------------
http://planetharriers.blogspot.co.uk" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by jase38 jase38 wrote:

I love your attention to detail, the cab is coming on a treat. Keep up the awesome work! :)

Gonna try to get it looking as nice as yours mate.. I think they lived together once upon a time

-------------
Would like:
No more cabs.. please!!

Date Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 11:03pm
Great work Gary :) I see what you meant now about the footplate not being right, Its going to look amazing when finished Ians right im going to be gutted when its finished .. seriously though im glad you have it   

-------------
*SMG*

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 12:57pm
So with the metalwork out of the way I can get on with more cleaning! Tongue

Sega cabs are great, they strip down really easily and even the electronic parts come out easily on wooden boards with a few plugs disconnected.  First up the ELEC BD Assembly..

I don’t need to keep the big ISO transformer (top right) as this is only for 100/120VAC areas and there is a 230VAC to 100VAC transformer in the cab already for UK mains (the one that caused the monitor wobble), but I like to keep things as original as possible in a cab.  Check out that spilt pop.. Sick

Everything will be removed and cleaned, including the looms.

BTW the white power outlet is for the network router/switcher that sits behind the pedal box on Japanese cabs.  Thankfully this is the only 'number 2' I found in the cab LOL

-------------
Would like:
No more cabs.. please!!

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 1:05pm
Before long it was starting to come back together.  This is when it starts to get interesting as you're putting fleshly cleaned stuff in a freshly cleaned cab!

Henry, always eager to help, sucked up the loose dirt and Tesco anti-bac wipes and Poundland Magic Erasers took care of the rest – at a quid each you don’t need to spend a fortune on cleaning products, believe me – save that money for better things! Big smile

Magic eraser with Isopropyl Alcohol is great for cleaning all plastic parts, worked great to get the black overspray off the connectors.

It was grim in here before I cleaned, but this was a moment when I forgot to take a ‘before’ shot! Embarrassed

Now onto the MAIN BD Assembly..

Cleaned and re-fitted – don’t you just love neat Japanese wiring?  They use nicer cable ties too Wink

Just gotta wait for that nice minty metalwork to arrive now so all my hard work can be hidden! LOL

-------------
Would like:
No more cabs.. please!!

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 5:10pm
Good news, good news! (as Rosco P. Coltrane might say!)..

One of the most exciting and eagerly anticipated moments in any cab restorers life..  The return of freshly powder coated metalwork!! Big smile

This lot will take the cab from the lower reaches of division two to the top four in the Premier League..

RAL9005 semi-gloss, rather than matte - Japanese cabs have a different, shinier (nicer) finish than UK cabs.

Next jobs on the list:

1. Refit metalwork
2. Rebuild footplate/pedal box
3. Rebuild seat

-------------
Would like:
No more cabs.. please!!

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 5:16pm
great work so far, its going to look new!

-------------
*SMG*

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by stegrey stegrey wrote:

Great work Gary :) I see what you meant now about the footplate not being right, Its going to look amazing when finished Ians right im going to be gutted when its finished .. seriously though im glad you have it   

You are taking the restore well mate!
All I'm waiting for is Gary to announce that the cab has disappeared and some cash was left in it's place. Spookily the same amount that he bought the cab for. LOL

Looking good Gary! Clap
How does that semi-gloss finish compare to the powdercoating on the Jp F355 twin mate?

Cheers.

-------------
Insert Coin[s]

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 6:02pm
Wow, it's looking really nice!
Thank you for posting the details about the powder coat.

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 6:34pm
I do love a nice pile of freshly powdercoated bits! This is gonna be minty-mint Cool

-------------
Repro Arcade Artwork supplier, pm me or visit arcadeartshop.com

Posted By: Danscu
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 9:14pm
The powder coating looks amazingClap 

Where do you get it done?

-------------
WTB:)
Sega model 2 or 3 sitdown driver base/frame
Electrocoin Goliath Mk 3
Sega Shootout Pool marquee

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 10:29pm
Got it done at a local place I've used before. Used to get it done for cash but they insist on putting it through the books now so have to pay the vat.

This lot cost £80 all in, shot blast and powdered, which is a good price. Most places around here have a minimum charge in the region of £130.

The colour and finish seems a good match with the other Japanese cabs I have, I'll have a proper check when I start rebuilding the cab.

-------------
Would like:
No more cabs.. please!!

Date Posted: 18 Sep 2017 at 1:49pm
Energy levels are a waning a little at the moment, but I'm determined to keep up the momentum!

First up, let's get the pedal tray/foot rest sorted.  Not much to do here, just refit new foam draft excluder strip and rivet the polished up stainless steel foot rest plate back on..

Not the most challenging of jobs so in no time we're ready fit this..

And for once, a decent before/after comparison LOL

-------------
Would like:
No more cabs.. please!!

Date Posted: 18 Sep 2017 at 2:02pm
great read... looks great :)

Date Posted: 18 Sep 2017 at 5:14pm
nice job so far....

that bottom edge looks badly pitted and could of done with a bit more prep work before being powder coated.....

i know you will probably say it will not be seen.....but if like me , you know its there and will drive you mad lol

Date Posted: 18 Sep 2017 at 7:00pm
True it's not perfect, but it was pretty badly rusted/pitted and I don't think any amount of blasting would have cured it.

I'm trying to be a bit less OCD to make sure this resto does actually get done, but yes it will still bug me a little I imagine Geek

Thanks for reminding me!! LOL

-------------
Would like:
No more cabs.. please!!

Date Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 2:44pm
Footplate.  Let’s NOS this bad boy!!

As mentioned earlier in this thread, the rubber matting is long since out of stock at Sega and while similar stuff is available from various sources it is extremely hard to find an exact match with the original stuff.  The stuff used on the Jp cabs super nice; it's got a nice soft rubbery feel, rather than being ‘plasticy’, and it’s also quite shiny and very much smoother than the stuff I’ve sourced online.

Thankfully, my good friend and fellow OCD ‘sufferer’, slowcade somehow sourced an exact replacement while on one of his many trips around the internet and has very kindly sent a piece for me to use on my cab.  Huge thanks buddy! Heart

I also managed to get hold of some NOS stainless steel retaining brackets (still with protective film on), so these parts combined with the freshly powdered metal lid should make for a super sexy footplate assembly!

Cut the matting to shape..

Fit brackets..

Quick before/after shots..

Install in cab..

Slippers only when playing on this cab from now on me thinks!!! LOL

-------------
Would like:
No more cabs.. please!!

Date Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 2:51pm

-------------
*SMG*

Date Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 3:14pm
make people wear these...
looks great work... hope to see it in person one day!

Posted By: channel27
Date Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 3:34pm
Very, very nice

-------------
Wanted
New Net City
Tekken: 3, 5DR, 5.1, 6, 6BR, TTT2
Virtua Fighter: 1, 3TB, 4, 5, Kids
Any Sega Model 1/2/3 boards

Date Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 4:43pm
It looks fantastic!