Forum Name: General Arcade Discussion
Forum Description: All General Arcade Chat here
URL: http://www.ukvac.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=360831
Printed Date: 18 Nov 2017 at 4:45am

Topic: UK Neo Geo cab
Posted By: J69
Subject: UK Neo Geo cab
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 1:42pm
This is for sale round the corner from me. The seller reckons it's a genuine electrocoin cab from Brent Leisure

Looks more like a home made job to me?

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/spartanheed/media/192C7956-C1FA-4961-88AB-D05013487422_zpsolgg52ow.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

Replies:
Posted By: IDCHAPPY
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 2:04pm
Looks pretty genuine to me mate, almost identical to my first cab a 6 slot

-------------
We are the 45

Posted By: big10p
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 2:16pm
What about looks homemade to you?

Posted By: K1ngarth3r
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 2:22pm
Looks like an Electrocoin with reproduction side art based on the US cab.

-------------
Looking for: American Laser Games stuff!, Dragon's Lair 2 dedicated cab

Date Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 2:29pm
That I've been collecting cabs for 15 years and never seen one like that before. Big electrocoin 6 slots and Lordsvales but never a U.K. "Big Red"

Posted By: big10p
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 2:47pm
Yeah, the artwork is probably repro - looks new and I don't think there was ever an official Big Red UK cab (might be wrong. MVS isn't my thing). Cab looks good, though. Then again, it wouldn't be hard to repro, so who knows. Message the seller and give him a bit of a grilling about it.

Posted By: robotech
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 3:23pm
Ive never seen one like that in the uk
Only the lordsvale and the two electrocoin
Cabs the big six slot and the smaller sports point 4 slot that i own

The controll pannel looks the same colour as an electrocoin six slot one the sports point has a green overlay i think the controll pannel is the same size and shape as one of the other electrocoin cabs (zenon goliath ?)
But with the buttons punched out differently and a neo geo overlay

The sticks are wrong though they came with
Molded red ones

Im not a neo geo expert but it looks homemade to me too

Posted By: cosine
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 3:48pm
It looks a bit like a Electrocoin Barline with that footplate, but it lacks the coinslot beneath the monitor.  The only UK Neo cabs I'm aware of are these:

I'll go with a generic JAMMA cab tarted up to look like a NeoGeo, I'm 99% sure that's not original.

EDIT: Just realised the 2nd is actually mine, before I bought it. LOL

-------------
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my sanity the most.

Posted By: IDCHAPPY
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 4:21pm
Lordsvale

-------------
We are the 45

Posted By: frothmeister
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 4:43pm
Interesting. I saw this on Facebook and instantly thought 'Bollocks, that's an Electrocoin Xenon with home made side art'.

But after reading this and looking at images of a Xenon online, it's clearly not.

I'm not aware that Electrocoin control panels fit any other types of cab other than the ones they built - so quite possibly it is an officially licensed Neo Geo cab? Possibly a pre-production model or something that never actually got released?

Posted By: cosine
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 5:01pm
It is possible, though that bezel glass is non-standard I reckon, as it has SNK's old logo on it, which they never used in the NeoGeo era.

-------------
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my sanity the most.

Posted By: frothmeister
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by cosine cosine wrote:

The only UK Neo cabs I'm aware of are these:

There's also this version which is an official Electrocoin one:

Posted By: muddymusic
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 5:56pm
I've seen a few Electrocoin built Neo Geo cabs that are different from the Sports Point and Red 6-slot ones you normally see. The most interesting one was using a fruit machine cabinet - and it was 100% factory! I expect this is another one that was put together using another cabinet shape they had ready to go, no reason to think it's not genuine.

-------------
Repro Arcade Artwork supplier, pm me or visit arcadeartshop.com

Date Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 6:00pm
Photo of the Neo-Fruito-MVS from the archives!

-------------

Posted By: Nik73
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 6:22pm
I saw this on ebay last night as well and noticed he's selling another one as well that he says is original, but also that it's been vinyl wrapped. Looks like a 16:9 LCD monitor as well.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Beautiful-Original-Electrocoin-MVS-Neo-Geo-Arcade-Machine-with-Pandoras-Box/263319215740?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649" rel="nofollow - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Beautiful-Original-Electrocoin-MVS-Neo-Geo-Arcade-Machine-with-Pandoras-Box/263319215740?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Posted By: Steveylou
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 7:17pm
If the same seller has that other "beautiful original" cab then I guess it adds doubt to just how original the red cab is. I'm still confused by it though. The old SNK logo and oddly modern-looking bezel suggest it's custom (or that parts of it are at least), but that control panel must be original. Assuming it is though I can't find any other examples of an Electrocoin cab having a foot rest like that. It's similar to a Barline but not a Barline. Perhaps there's mileage in it being some sort of pre-production model or official hybrid after all?

As for that black and grey monster does it have mirrors running down the sides? Amazing! Tongue

Posted By: _Matt_
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 7:56pm
It is an official electrocoin cab although the art was added on by somebody. It's an Electrocoin playvision.

Posted By: penrhos
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 8:05pm
Monitor bezel is not original - home deffo made, 
Wrong sticks, 
Wrong side-art for a UK cab, 
Wrong marquee for a UK cab.

In fact it looks like this one with a new paint job and some stickers.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Neo-Geo-Jamma-4-Slot-Cabinet-With-4-Games-/352189271149?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=7NZBTimKP92ZJ4NN5gUDIoMR06w%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc" rel="nofollow - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Neo-Geo-Jamma-4-Slot-Cabinet-With-4-Games-/352189271149?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=7NZBTimKP92ZJ4NN5gUDIoMR06w%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Avoid....

Date Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by cosine cosine wrote:

It is possible, though that bezel glass is non-standard I reckon, as it has SNK's old logo on it, which they never used in the NeoGeo era.

According to the net SNK stopped using that logo in 1990, the year MVS was released. Could have been an early prototype machine

Date Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by penrhos penrhos wrote:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Neo-Geo-Jamma-4-Slot-Cabinet-With-4-Games-/352189271149?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=7NZBTimKP92ZJ4NN5gUDIoMR06w%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc" rel="nofollow - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Neo-Geo-Jamma-4-Slot-Cabinet-With-4-Games-/352189271149?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=7NZBTimKP92ZJ4NN5gUDIoMR06w%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Avoid....

Well spotted, think you might have found it!

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by _Matt_ _Matt_ wrote:

It is an official electrocoin cab although the art was added on by somebody. It's an Electrocoin playvision.

Google shows not hits for a cab by that name?

Date Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by penrhos penrhos wrote:

Monitor bezel is not original - home deffo made, 
Wrong sticks, 
Wrong side-art for a UK cab, 
Wrong marquee for a UK cab.

Avoid....

That's interesting. I've never seen one of these and there's 2 for sale within a month. I do wonder if they were a small batch put out by electrocoin in the 90s

Date Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 8:41pm
They are different cabs. Apart from the obvious differences I have pics of that one with the red sideart from a year or 2 ago. Both are original electrocoin cabs. My best guess is that these Playvision cabs were made before they came up with the more common "single site" and "arcade" models pictured above. Pretty rare I would say, even though 2 have been on ebay recently I've never seen any others.

Date Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by J69 J69 wrote:

Google shows not hits for a cab by that name?

I know there is zero info on it. I've got a pic of it in an old Elctrocoin catalogue/brochure.

Date Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 8:51pm

They are different cabs. Apart from the obvious differences I have pics of that one with the red sideart from a year or 2 ago. Both are original electrocoin cabs. My best guess is that these Playvision cabs were made before they came up with the more common "single site" and "arcade" models pictured above. Pretty rare I would say, even though 2 have been on ebay recently I've never seen any others.

I've agreed to buy. Now to find the money.....

Posted By: FanDabbyDozy
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 11:24pm
Its an original cab, the previous owner the the guy now selling it, offered it to me a while back, said it was an early / prototype cab.

The current seller is a guy called Lee, pleasent to deal with, does the printing of the extra and replaced art himself, not to my taste, but each to there own.

He was selling a repro digdug and lcd converted mega tech with the guts ripped out a while back, along with a naomi shooting cab running confidentail mission (think sean on here bought it), the guy who also owned this before lee is the same guy who owned the neo cab (and megatech before being gutted) and bought the cheap NOS super system cabs, that were then resold at the far higher price, I know this as I bought one of them........still do not regret it.

Print Page | Close Window