Forum Description: Sell your stuff
URL: http://www.ukvac.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=362608
Printed Date: 17 Dec 2018 at 3:21am

Topic: Ridge racer 2
Posted By: Cliff
Subject: Ridge racer 2
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 12:56pm
Hi all ,
I have ridge racer 2 , I have just switched it on and one of the screens isn't working , it's making all the right noises lights flashing etc but a dead screen. The other screen is perfect and allowing you to play.
I'm not sure what to do find a local engineer to fix it any advice would be appreciated I'm based in Milton Keynes.
Or maybe it's time to sell the machine and get a different one for the kids so any offers would be. Great.
Thanks in advance cliff

Replies:
Posted By: K1ngarth3r
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 1:46pm
I don't think I've seen a dedicated Ridge Racer 2 like that before (could be wrong though). 

For the dead screen, I suppose it would be helpful to know whats happening around the back.

Such as:

- Is there neck glow
- Any ticking noises
- Monitor Type

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 1:55pm
Hi
Thank you for the reply, ticking noises no nothing, monitor type and neck glow , I haven't got a clue I'm new to this I'm worried about looking and causing more damage or killing myself lol.

Posted By: CraigG
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 2:10pm
On the back of the tube - neck glow - you should see a orange glow, its between the back of the tube and the neck board. Monitor type - on the back of the tube or on the chassis, should be a sticker with the model of the tube etc.  Thumbs Up

Posted By: outrun1986
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by K1ngarth3r K1ngarth3r wrote:

I don't think I've seen a dedicated Ridge Racer 2 like that before (could be wrong though). 

For the dead screen, I suppose it would be helpful to know whats happening around the back.

Such as:

- Is there neck glow
- Any ticking noises
- Monitor Type

funny you said that there is one on ebay

Date Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 3:06pm
What are the chances Smile 

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 3:21pm
Should I buy it and try to fix mine ,it says it's all rusty inside and not working .
They want £500 and it's not working at all , at least half of mine is working ,

Date Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 3:23pm
I will look in the back when I get home later, for neck glow and monitor sticker, thanks for the advice so far

Posted By: tb2000
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 4:40pm
If it's a UK or Europe built one the monitor will be a Hantarex Polo 28". If the cable is long enough you might be able to plug in the rgb output from the right hand side into your left hand screen, you can then at least confirm if the pcb boardset is working or not.

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 12:11pm
Hi all,

It is a polo 28 FS monitor, I can't see any orange glow, I did here a ticking noise when I started it up though.

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 12:14pm
It's going to be a faulty chassis then, it's not powering the monitor up.

This could be because:

Power Supply Issue 
Flyback
Capacitors around power supply and / or flyback

There are people you can send the chassis off to for repair, however you would need to remove the chassis yourself. 

Polo's discharge themselves from hi voltage but you would still go through the discharge process as normal (just incase).

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 12:27pm
Thank you for your advice, this is way above my ability. Decision made time to sell it and buy a different one.
If any one is interested in my ridge racer 2 make me a offer its got to go because of space
Thanks everyone again for your help and advice
Cliff

Posted By: Purity
Date Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 12:38pm
If there is someone local to you, they might help you discharge the monitor and send it off for repair, if you can find someone to repair it.  Don't know if Gunblade repairs this type of monitor?

-------------
http://www.arcadecollectors.co.uk" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: acidburn
Date Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by Cliff Cliff wrote:

Thank you for your advice, this is way above my ability. Decision made time to sell it and buy a different one.
If any one is interested in my ridge racer 2 make me a offer its got to go because of space
Cliff

You're going to be selling a lot of faulty arcade machines if you are not willing to send parts off for repair or attempt yourself.

Most machines are 20-30 years old and require regular maintenance (they break a lot)

-------------
10 PRINT "BOOBS"
20 GOTO 10
RUN

Posted By: Purity
Date Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by acidburn acidburn wrote:

You're going to be selling a lot of faulty arcade machines if you are not willing to send parts off for repair or attempt yourself.

Most machines are 20-30 years old and require regular maintenance (they break a lot)

This is a very good point.  If you buy another cabinet it might last 5 minutes.  Then what?

-------------
http://www.arcadecollectors.co.uk" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: channel27
Date Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by Cliff Cliff wrote:

Cliff

I wouldn't take the £500 one on ebay as an indication of value, I'm affraid. Unlike Sega twins, your cabinet doesn't break down into 2 units which means that someone is going to need the space to accommodate all of it, which will definitely limit the number of potential buyers. If it was a completed listing and sold at £500, then that'd be different.

(I think a Rave Racer twin sold on ebay last year (it was a proper auction, rather than a "Buy it now") for around £80... Which is rediculously low given the size of the thing.)

I'd echo what the people above have said. Read up on how to discharge the monitor, remove the monitor chassis and give Gunblade a PM. Much cheaper and easier than replacing it Smile

If it really was that dangerous to work on arcade machines, we'd all be dropping like flies LOL
Just unplug and dischage before getting busy with the screwdrivers Smile

-------------
Wanted
Tekken: 3, 5DR, 5.1, 6, 6BR, TTT2
Virtua Fighter: 2.1, 3TB, 4, 5
Any working / faulty Sega Model 1/2/3 boards

Posted By: Alpha1
Date Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 3:04pm
Maybe someone near you can come round and show you how to remove the chassis?

It's a £35+parts+postage fix. Cool game too

-------------
Wanted: Time Traveller, GALAXIAN 3 THEATER, 80's Namco & Taito games

Posted By: tb2000
Date Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 3:33pm
If you can get the chassis off you can send it to me or gunblade, we both can repair Polo chassis. Ten years or so ago, I used to live about 30 mins or so from Milton Keynes, could've come round and removed the chassis for you had I still lived up that way!

Posted By: griffo83x
Date Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 3:50pm
Get stuck in its only a little belt off the flyback i had one the day, i got the feeling back in my hand after an hour lolLOL

-------------
wanted video wizard/ Ec midi / similar jamma cab :)

Posted By: strykr
Date Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by griffo83x griffo83x wrote:

Get stuck in its only a little belt off the flyback i had one the day, i got the feeling back in my hand after an hour lolLOL

LOL

If your worried about it, buy a high voltage probe, it takes all the fun fear out of it. As others have said its just part and parcel of the hobby, I've lost count of the times I've discharged and sent chassis off!

-------------
Wanted - Electrocoin Wheels Runner Cabinet http://tinyurl.com/oq6dkau
Badlands & Champ sprint TG mame WR holder

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 4:23pm
Everybody , Thank you so much for the help and replies.
I have now sold the machine and purchased a new one.

Thanks again

Posted By: nurtuo
Date Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 8:33pm
Blimey that was quick.

-------------
You're Cool, The Engines Hot, The Girl Is Gorgeous, A Tankful Of Gas And An Open Road......The Rest Is Up To You!

Print Page | Close Window