Print Page | Close Window

Pole Position 2 Project

Printed From: ukVac.com
Category: Technical
Forum Name: Artwork and Restorations
Forum Description: Arcade related artwork & place to show or get help with restorations
URL: http://www.ukvac.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=364284
Printed Date: 17 Sep 2019 at 5:59am

Topic: Pole Position 2 Project
Posted By: Chopper79
Subject: Pole Position 2 Project
Date Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 6:52pm
Just got this delivered today. It's a solid cab, and the condition is fantastic considering it's age and use. Slightly unhappy, as turned up missing the back door! Oh well I'll worry about that later.

I must be the most impatient person on here, as no sooner had martin left, I was already cleaning and hoovering it out!

Unfortunately the insides aren't as good as the outside. Will need the usual AR2 full rebuild, power brick strip down etc.

It has the wrong marquee fitted, but came with the original, which fell apart as soon as I touched it. Will order new one from muddy. All parts are included, and were only removed, to powdercoat the control panel etc.

New decal has already been fitted, and the coin doors have been powder coated.

Still has the original burn free monitor. Lots of loose wires etc. I'm not even going to switch on, until I have rebuild everything, and checked all the voltages. Will post more when I get started on the insides.

Replies:
Posted By: kidyamlo
Date Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 8:14pm
Superb! I have one coming in myself later this year. Had no idea Martin had one on his van this morning or I would have had a sneak :)

-------------
videogamevampires.co.uk

Posted By: Shinydaz
Date Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 8:30pm
I've got one arriving in a few weeks, will enjoy reading this thread.

-------------
Out of room but always room for one more !

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 11:41pm
Simon, would you mind measuring yours for me (yes, yes, laugh it up fuzzballs)? Be nice to know exactly where I can put mine when it lands. Space is at a premium. :)

-------------
videogamevampires.co.uk

Date Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 6:44am
Originally posted by kidyamlo kidyamlo wrote:

Simon, would you mind measuring yours for me (yes, yes, laugh it up fuzzballs)? Be nice to know exactly where I can put mine when it lands. Space is at a premium. :)

Dedicated Cab (PP2) : H = 67.5"   Depth = 30", Width = 24 "    Weight = ~200 lbs

Posted By: Body pop
Date Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 8:15am
I really like those wee cabs ,mine just got the better of me in the end after 5 or 600 quids worth of board repairs
Have you checked the board for the usual edge connector burn and battery damage
It will be a great start if it hasn’t got any of those

Date Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 11:02am
Originally posted by Body pop Body pop wrote:

I really like those wee cabs ,mine just got the better of me in the end after 5 or 600 quids worth of board repairs
Have you checked the board for the usual edge connector burn and battery damage
It will be a great start if it hasn’t got any of those

Easier negotiating a lasting peace agreement between Israel and Palestine than keeping these puppies running for any length of time it seems. Todd at TNT seems to have a good solution (I asked him about installing fans but he didn't believe it was really needed):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_q7jPATorY" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_q7jPATorY

-------------
videogamevampires.co.uk

Date Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 9:03pm

Got bored today, so started on the marquee. New tube & starter fitted. Next to tackle the marquee glass. What a mess!

Not much left of it. Backing glue, stuck on glass nearly 40 years, so soaked in label remover, and used a stanley blade scraper.

After a lot of effort, and finishing off with glass cleaner and IPA, the original glass came up like new. Just need to order a new marquee, and that should be all done.

Had a look inside today, oh boy! I'm leaving that when I can be bothered.

Posted By: smarty
Date Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 9:28pm
Great cab Simon, I bought one of these style cabs with the original PP back from the dead a few years back: http://www.ukvac.com/forum/pole-position-refurb-11-09-14-done_topic332447_page1.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.ukvac.com/forum/pole-position-refurb-11-09-14-done_topic332447_page1.html

It's one of my biggest arcade selling regrets, I can't persuade its current owner to sell it back to me, but want one bad in my collection.

Good luck with this one :)

-------------
http://www.jumpnfire.com" rel="nofollow - jumpnfire.com

MOST WANTED:
- Atari Return of the Jedi upright cabinet.
- Atari Pole Position PCB's.

Date Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by smarty smarty wrote:

Great cab Simon, I bought one of these style cabs with the original PP back from the dead a few years back: http://www.ukvac.com/forum/pole-position-refurb-11-09-14-done_topic332447_page1.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.ukvac.com/forum/pole-position-refurb-11-09-14-done_topic332447_page1.html

It's one of my biggest arcade selling regrets, I can't persuade its current owner to sell it back to me, but want one bad in my collection.

Good luck with this one :)

Cheers mate. I think this one's a keeper. My partner was out when delivered, and she wasn't happy about me buying another cab, in our 1 bed flat. But when she got home, she said "I like that, more than the other one". So I think it was a good choice.

Date Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 12:51am
I've got a US one coming tomorrow to try and shoehorn in, the GF doesn't even know it's coming. I'm glad it's not just me who doesn't tell the other half

Edit: Just reading through this, I got this mixed up with my operation wolf cab.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 1:38am
Originally posted by Shinydaz Shinydaz wrote:

I've got a US one coming tomorrow to try and shoehorn in, the GF doesn't even know it's coming. I'm glad it's not just me who doesn't tell the other half

Better to ask for forgiveness than seek permission

-------------
videogamevampires.co.uk

Date Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 7:39am

Great stuff. Post some pics when arrived. Good luck with the misses!

Date Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 10:13pm
Tackled rebuilding & refitting the steering wheel and mechanism today.. The steering wheel was removed by previous owner, when dash powder coated.

The wheel itself was sprayed by someone over the chrome, and it it looked horrible! Luckily the guy I bought from, bought a spare wheel and parts. It was all stripped down and thrown in a oily mess at the bottom of cab!

Time to get the gunk out. New wheel fitted, all cleaned degreased, and luckily a spare encoder was supplied, as original has missing track on pcb.

Even found a new steering wheel sticker in the cab. New bolts and label fitted, and now looks good as new.

Date Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 7:04pm
Fuse block has had a serious hack done on it. 2 of the clips had burnt off.

I couldn't find a replacement, so drilled out all the remaining fuse clips, and mounted some new holders, to the existing base.

Fitted some spacers underneath, as screws on plate, would interfere with the bottom of fuse holder base.

Even matched the original spade connectors. All finished on the fuse block.

Posted By: nurtuo
Date Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 9:10am
Great work. I love Pole Position.
And just like most, I am on the look out for a nice original one.
Keep up the great work!

-------------
You're Cool, The Engines Hot, The Girl Is Gorgeous, A Tankful Of Gas And An Open Road......The Rest Is Up To You!

Posted By: Eddhorse
Date Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 12:38pm
Super work there with Marquee, Steering Wheel and Fuse Holder, top notch refurb.

Date Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 7:24pm
Something turned up today. And some free sweets! Cheers olly.

New marquee fitted

Date Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 7:27pm
Shifter stripped cleaned & refitted last weekend.

Starting to look more like it now. Will tackle the AR rebuilds next.

Also need to sort, the rusty pedal box.

Posted By: mozie
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 7:40pm
Looks great, always a favourite of mine bitd so great to see it get some love.

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2018 at 6:53pm
Time to replace bridge rectifier, on the power brick. Lots of heat, and brittle cables.

Rectifier rusting and damaged case. For the sake of £2, it was replaced.

New rectifier fitted, and fresh new wire and crimps to finish off.

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2018 at 7:03pm
Both AR2 boards removed, cleaned and inspected. These boards are in mint condition!

The only visual damage I can see, are both R29 resistors burnt out, but will replace and upgrade to 1/2 watt versions.

Will also replace both 2N3055 transistors as well.

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2018 at 7:05pm
Pedal box removed for rebuild.

Posted By: robotech
Date Posted: 01 Jul 2018 at 1:42am
Looking good so far i love the look of these cabs

-------------
Daytonaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa lets go away

Date Posted: 02 Jul 2018 at 10:59pm
Underside of pedal assembly..My favourite rust!

Although the 3 springs are not broken, I am not putting them back in my cab.

I am going to a spring manufacturer on wednesday, to see If they can match them up, if not have them made.

Will get all metal work, blasted and powder coated. Keep em' peeled...

-------------

Posted By: muddymusic
Date Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 9:29am
I think I've got 2 or 3 complete pedals somewhere, you're welcome to them for the springs if they are intact.

-------------
Repro Arcade Artwork supplier, pm me or visit arcadeartshop.com

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 9:59am
Originally posted by muddymusic muddymusic wrote:

I think I've got 2 or 3 complete pedals somewhere, you're welcome to them for the springs if they are intact.

Cheers olly.

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Jul 2018 at 9:47pm
New R29 resistors. (soldered raised, to avoid board damage)

New 3055 transistors.

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Jul 2018 at 10:07pm
Monitor removed and cleaned.

-------------

Posted By: corn
Date Posted: 05 Jul 2018 at 10:46pm
That monitor looks super clean - nice work. What did you clean it with?

-------------
Wanted: Crazy Taxi base artwork

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2018 at 5:09pm
Progress has been slow due to lack of funds. I wasn't happy with the finish on the coin doors when I bought, so I took all metal work to the powder coaters, for stripping and re finishing.

I always have coin doors finished in black gloss leatherette. It's looks great and is hard wearing. Unfortunately the pedal box metalwork was badly rusted, and the company I used, did say to me, the pitting would still show through.

I had it done in the original matt black, and it looks 10 times better than it did, but the pitting lets it done. Annoyingly the underneath which isn't on show, looks like nos! Typical. I haven't fitted the pedal box back properly, as going to get the pedal chrome plated if possible.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2018 at 5:23pm
The cab how it sits at the moment.

-------------

Posted By: big10p
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2018 at 5:29pm
It's looking very nice, indeed. Thumbs Up

Posted By: muddymusic
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2018 at 9:52am
That's looking superb, really like the look of these cabs the side art is awesome,

-------------
Repro Arcade Artwork supplier, pm me or visit arcadeartshop.com

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 8:42pm
Beautifull great job so far

-------------
Daytonaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa lets go away

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 11:38am
Cheers guys.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 6:38pm
Looks in great condition, where did you source the parts, rectifier, transistors etc..I take it these are readily available in the UK? Will have to checkout the schematics and see what I need. I have 1 burnt r29 resistor, the other looks fine but may aswell replace, you upgraded yours I see.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 6:56pm

Looks in great condition, where did you source the parts, rectifier, transistors etc..I take it these are readily available in the UK? Will have to checkout the schematics and see what I need. I have 1 burnt r29 resistor, the other looks fine but may aswell replace, you upgraded yours I see.

Got all the parts on ebay. If you need the links, I'll dig them out.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2018 at 9:42pm
Progress has been slow on this, due to financial issues, but hopefully will be getting this working, fairly soon. Chassis sent off to grant, and just received back today. Tested with my working thunder blade pcb, and all looks ok.

I need to order a ptc, as issue with degauss when plugged in, but ok for now.

Getting there daz!

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 12:07pm
Love the side art on pp2, nearly there now. I've brought new transistors for my power supply but yet to fit them. I think my power supply fried my ram on my board, as when I checked it when I got it, it was throwing out nearly 5.5v. I'll take my pedal assembly out next year and refurb it, in the mean time I'm just going to enjoy using it. Boards off to RC soon?

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 4:00pm
Just picked up pedal from polishers. And very pleased with the result.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 4:03pm
Here are some before pics of the pedal assembly:

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 4:04pm
And the finished result!

-------------

Posted By: big10p
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 4:10pm
Wow, that is shiny! Cool Looks NOS.

Posted By: lespotts
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 4:18pm
What a job so far, fantastic work!

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 6:16pm
Great upgrade to have it chromed, you putting any grip strip on it, seams a shame to cover it up.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 8:26pm

Great upgrade to have it chromed, you putting any grip strip on it, seams a shame to cover it up.

No grip tape. Will leave it as is.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2018 at 8:36pm
Your cab, when done, is going to be the absolute nuts

-------------
videogamevampires.co.uk

Date Posted: 25 Nov 2018 at 7:25am

Your cab, when done, is going to be the absolute nuts

Thanks. Still got to get pcb repaired, which will be biggest expense.

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Nov 2018 at 10:25am
Looking great so far mate

Posted By: neil1637
Date Posted: 25 Nov 2018 at 10:33am
Wow. Just wow!

-------------
Please visit my Arcade Diary Blog at https://neilsarcadediary.wordpress.com/" rel="nofollow - https://neilsarcadediary.wordpress.com/

Grail search - Donkey Kong and Pole Position upright.

Date Posted: 25 Nov 2018 at 4:52pm
Cheers guys.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 11:25am
New PTC soldered in, and working great. 2 new fuses on the chassis, just because I could. A quick test with a board, and all looking fab. No screen burn at all, on this monitor!.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 11:27am
A couple of pics of inside.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 11:29am
2 brand new, coin entry bezels fitted. Just awaiting 2 new locks for the doors, and the last thing will be sending the pcb off to mark for repair. Keep em peeled.

-------------

Posted By: stegrey
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 11:31am
Nice one Si it looks great :)

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 4:46pm
Long overdue update. Not much has happened since last post. New locks have been fitted on doors, and boards removed, for sending to mark at retro clinic.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 4:49pm
Boards removed, and I am, going over the bits on the board, I can repair, before sending to mark, to keep costs down.

The eproms with the green dots, have been removed and checked on romindent, are working ok..So far I have found 2 dead faulty eproms, which I need to find and replace. This board has the japan romset installed.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 5:53pm
What faults are the boards displaying Simon? Mine was just mainly faulty ram and a couple of ttl. If I knew a little more on these I'd of had a go myself.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 7:00pm

What faults are the boards displaying Simon? Mine was just mainly faulty ram and a couple of ttl. If I knew a little more on these I'd of had a go myself.

I have no idea, as never even powered on. There are a few proms missing, so would be no point. I'm trying to get the bits done I can do, and then send off to mark, to replace proms and any further repair work.

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 9:02pm
Finally got the volume rheostats, after waiting over 10 months to find them! No luck on here, but a guy on klov was breaking a pole position, and I quickly done a deal. I actually bought the entire service panel, so at least have some other spares.

Date Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 7:39am
More Great Work.

It Looks Amazing.

Pole Position is still on my list to get next.

How's the PCB work getting on?

-------------
You're Cool, The Engines Hot, The Girl Is Gorgeous, A Tankful Of Gas And An Open Road......The Rest Is Up To You!

Date Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 9:13am
Originally posted by nurtuo nurtuo wrote:

More Great Work.

It Looks Amazing.

Cheers. PCB is still packaged up awaiting postage to mark. I'm restoring my 65 vespa at the moment, so lost a bit of interest in it, at present. I've already had emails asking to sell it.

Date Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 9:30am
Originally posted by Chopper79 Chopper79 wrote:

Originally posted by nurtuo nurtuo wrote:

More Great Work.

It Looks Amazing.

Cheers. PCB is still packaged up awaiting postage to mark. I'm restoring my 65 vespa at the moment, so lost a bit of interest in it, at present. I've already had emails asking to sell it.

Well its not such a bad thing.
It does show you did a really good job of the restoration if someone asks to buy it.

I have just got back one of my Outrun PCBs from Mark (RetroClinic)
He is the man around a PCB. 

Please put up some Pictures when its all done and running.
Then just watch that inbox fill. 

Top Work.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 10:27pm
PCB has finally been posted to mark today. Will update when mark has had a look at it, and even maybe get mark to do a quick youtube video of it.

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 3:20am
Not long now bud, I'll be watching for a notification from retroclinic of a new video soon.

-------------

Posted By: iamjimmi
Date Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 11:20am
Great progress.. Almost ready to qualify....

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 9:41pm
Just heard back from marc, and we have a working PCB!

It had a few faults, and one board had the english roms installed, and the other board had the japan roms installed! Marc said it wasn't a problem, but had a slight graphic glitch after the banner came across the screen.

All it needed was the english roms, reprogrammed to japan one's, which I said to do. Amazingly the battery wasn't leaking, but was replaced, with the battery backed sram, high score save mod.

Video of board running https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eswoUY77Rvo&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR1MfielB1ZAm4KS0BAiQtkWwtChnniwYfR_lBUBSoWkTI-SI92jXBAl3w0" rel="nofollow - Here

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2019 at 3:38am
Looks in good condition, Mark is the king of pole position repairs, let's hope it last a long time.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2019 at 8:09am
I hope so. I must say I never thought it would cost so much to repair!

Posted By: Body pop
Date Posted: 15 Jun 2019 at 9:36am

I hope so. I must say I never thought it would cost so much to repair!

It’s a fortune mate ,I had mine repaired about 4 or 5 times
I love the game and miss it ,but it just got ridiculous and I couldn’t go on
I think it broke again after I sold it ,and it was only in storeage !
They say the Atari boards are worse than Namco

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2019 at 7:41pm
Final repair video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R0fOQF5sjA&fbclid=IwAR03kDjp4K_Ec01xxQwenFiaw-9n6JNAkBg3HuXXAeYna5_szCdo7GnOkDI" rel="nofollow - Here

Date Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 6:59pm
My PCB from mark, should be arriving tomorrow, and in anticipation of this, and some paranoia, I have removed the AR2s, and replacing a few more components, mainly on the 5v line.

I adjusted the AR2s to a juicy 5v on each, but replacing a few more components for peace of mind.

Posted By: bonehead
Date Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 7:20pm
Did you buy cap kits from the USA or make up your own?
I need a couple of kits to sort some games out.

-------------
Always looking for a bargain.
Wanted., bezerk, mad planets.

Date Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 8:08pm
Fingers crossed they are reliable for you.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by bonehead bonehead wrote:

Did you buy cap kits from the USA or make up your own?
I need a couple of kits to sort some games out.

I haven't actually replaced any caps. Having read a lot of info on klov, people say to leave them if ok. The trouble is finding any of these caps, is impossible, unless you import them!

I found maybe a couple of values on ebay, but always a no name cheap chinese brand, and no way as good as the original nichicons.

Posted By: SUPERSPRINT
Date Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 9:00pm
Did you dishwasher the ar2? Looks brand new.

Date Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by SUPERSPRINT SUPERSPRINT wrote:

Did you dishwasher the ar2? Looks brand new.

Ha Ha, no. They were both super clean when I got them.

Date Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 7:11pm
Looks like there may be a problem! No I haven't plugged in board yet. After talking to mark, It may appear I have the wrong AR2's in my cab.

My AR2's are for the atari boarset, because they have the onboard amplifiers, whereas the namco boardset, has the amplifiers on the PCB itself. I just watched a youtube video of someone with the correct AR2's, and there are hardly any components on the board.

I still have the correct +5v/+12v on both power connectors, but not sure if having the amplifiers on board the AR2's, would cause an issue with the one's on the PCB?

My only other option, is to bypass/disconnect both AR2's, and fit a switcher. I can run the +5v and +12v staright from the switcher, with new leads and connectors, which would do exactly the same job, as the correct AR2's.

Or I could just desolder the amplifiers on the AR2's?

Anyone have any experience with these issues?

Posted By: Bods
Date Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 12:07am
Ah right

So ones that have less on probably don't have the amplifier side installed, always wondered why there are so many different AR2 boards with different amounts of components but never looked into it

-------------
WANTED! Buggy Boy Junior Rear Seat. Continental Circus Cockpit Lower Rear Light Plexi and more space

Posted By: patloz
Date Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 12:24am
You need the (05) boards for Namco games such as Dig dug, Xevious and PP if you want to go original.

I don't use my AR II in Xevious but instead use a Switching PSU and its all good.

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 12:32am
Originally posted by patloz patloz wrote:

You need the (05) boards for Namco games such as Dig dug, Xevious and PP if you want to go original.

I don't use my AR II in Xevious but instead use a Switching PSU and its all good.

Cheers. Can I just use a switcher to supply the 5v and 12v? So basically not using the AR2's at all?

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 12:33am
A034485-01 - Asteroids, Asteroids Deluxe, Lunar Lander, Football (4 Player)
A035435-01 - Atari board versions of Xevious, Pole Position I + II, DigDug
A035435-02 - Battlezone, Centipede, Crystal Castles, Liberator, Quantum, Red Baron, Star Wars, Tempest, Warlords, Return Of The Jedi, Arabian, Black Widow, Major Havoc
A035435-03 - Missile Command, Monte Carlo
A035435-04 - Gravitar, Millipede, Space Duel
A035435-05 - Namco Board versions of Pole Position I + II, Xevious, DigDug
A035435-06 - Kangaroo

Posted By: patloz
Date Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 8:04am
Some good images of the 05 ARII here.

http://www.arcade.chezsuys.com/Namco_PP.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.arcade.chezsuys.com/Namco_PP.html

My Xevious has a three pin connector direct to the PCB which I power through an old switcher I got out of a Sega driver at some point.

The website above gives you the power pin out.

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 11:33am
Didn't realise there was a list of them with number for each game, that's useful

Need to wire up my Milliepede sometime

What about Paperboy, that has AR2 in original then another psu but someone cut wires to that and used switcher

Later System 2 cab for Champ Sprint has AR3 and Switcher and it's same pcb

So I would think it's fine to use switcher if pcb has amps on anyway

Anyway, cab's looking nice mateThumbs Up 

-------------
WANTED! Buggy Boy Junior Rear Seat. Continental Circus Cockpit Lower Rear Light Plexi and more space

Date Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 9:52pm
Ok. Board fitted etc, and good and bad news. Game works, but speech failed straight away!!! Gas pedal does not work at all, and steering is wrong way round!! I can see why people get so annoyed with these cabs.

I cant afford more board repairs already, as speech processors are non existent on these. Cant believe my luck, cost a fortune for repair, and faulty already.

Date Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 10:19pm
Steering is Opto isn't it, so that can't be much. must be wired wrong way or something

Pedal shouldn't be much either, pot faulty?

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by Bods Bods wrote:

Steering is Opto isn't it, so that can't be much. must be wired wrong way or something

Pedal shouldn't be much either, pot faulty?

Yeah most likely that the steering is plugged in the wrong way round. That’s easy enough to check. Hopefully that’s all it is? Never looked at the pedal. The speech is a pain. I’ve got my name down for a few FPGA boards.

Date Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 10:51pm
You dont want to be ploughing more money into board repairs that's for sure.

-------------

Posted By: DanP
Date Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 8:47am

Ok. Board fitted etc, and good and bad news. Game works, but speech failed straight away!!! Gas pedal does not work at all, and steering is wrong way round!! I can see why people get so annoyed with these cabs.

I cant afford more board repairs already, as speech processors are non existent on these. Cant believe my luck, cost a fortune for repair, and faulty already.

Did the speech work for a bit and then stop or did it not work at all?

Yes I think you are getting a taste of why so few people own/run these cabs.   Lots of bits to go wrong and flaky as f*ck board sets (and you have the better designed one made by Namco!).  Persevere though, it's a great game when it's fully working and the FPGA is on the horizon...

-------------
https://ukvac.slack.com" rel="nofollow - #slack

Date Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 9:39am
Don't give up on this cab and sell it (unless it's to me, in which case I'll take it). Not many around in such great condition and you'll never get back the hours you've poured into it. It's paying for its footprint in good looks alone. Like owning a classic car that you rarely drive. Or in this case, can't actually drive. And the FPGA *will* happen, at which point you might actually get something back on your investment if you decided to sell. I'm combining two cabs into one later this year and will get in touch if I have board bits left over, which I probably will.

Date Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 12:15pm
The speech never worked, even when first plugged in. It was working when Mark tested it. Can't believe when I get it back it doesn't work! I fitted a switcher as well.

Date Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 12:20pm
I fixed the gas pedal issue, well 2 issues. Firstly when I took the assembly off, the red wire to the pot, was hanging in mid air! I know it wasn't like that when I fitted it.

Secondly these pedals need a set up procedure done, as the revs will not work correctly. My pedal only operated when half depressed, so the first half of travel doing nothing. I found the quide online, and redone, and now working great.

Posted By: klause
Date Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 12:23pm
amazing project, keep on the good work! Clap

-------------
OutRun - Space Invaders - Atari MC Table - Sega MC Table - DK Table - NeoGeo Cab

Date Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 12:27pm

Don't give up on this cab and sell it (unless it's to me, in which case I'll take it). Not many around in such great condition and you'll never get back the hours you've poured into it. It's paying for its footprint in good looks alone. Like owning a classic car that you rarely drive. Or in this case, can't actually drive. And the FPGA *will* happen, at which point you might actually get something back on your investment if you decided to sell. I'm combining two cabs into one later this year and will get in touch if I have board bits left over, which I probably will.

Cheers mate. If I can't get speech working, it may be a £99 ,buy it now!

Date Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 12:31pm
Plus my new multi meter, decided to not work on the ohm setting. Talk about kick a man, when hes down..??

Posted By: DanP
Date Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 12:43pm

The speech never worked, even when first plugged in. It was working when Mark tested it. Can't believe when I get it back it doesn't work! I fitted a switcher as well.

Are you sure you have all the audio channels connected correctly?   Are you using 1 or 2 AR2's?

Dan

-------------
https://ukvac.slack.com" rel="nofollow - #slack

Date Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by DanP DanP wrote:

Are you sure you have all the audio channels connected correctly?   Are you using 1 or 2 AR2's?

Dan

I'm not using the AR2s at all. The namco boards, have the audio on the game board itself, so doesn't use from the ar2s. Some pp2 I've seen, have no audio section at all, just the 5v section.

Posted By: bonehead
Date Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 1:09pm
Message mark at Retroclinic and see what he says. Maybe he will check the speech again for you or offer a good will gesture on the pcb fix?
Worth asking his advice anyway.

-------------
Always looking for a bargain.
Wanted., bezerk, mad planets.

Date Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by bonehead bonehead wrote:

Message mark at Retroclinic and see what he says. Maybe he will check the speech again for you or offer a good will gesture on the pcb fix?
Worth asking his advice anyway.

He said he never worked on that section, so will be charged again. I would rather fix it myself than fork out another £300.

Print Page | Close Window