Print Page | Close Window

Star Wars Cockpit Renovation

Printed From: ukVac.com
Category: Technical
Forum Name: Artwork and Restorations
Forum Description: Arcade related artwork & place to show or get help with restorations
URL: http://www.ukvac.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=371266
Printed Date: 19 Oct 2019 at 3:54am

Topic: Star Wars Cockpit Renovation
Posted By: Bods
Subject: Star Wars Cockpit Renovation
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 3:37pm
Enough of my crazy ramblings after the happy juice about nonsense for the rest of the year, back to the important stuff

Not feeling to good today so unable to do much other than lie down or sit at the computer for a bit, can't stay In bed all day because of back problems so been sorting photo's etc from this project

So can't call this a Restoration, more a Renovation though it's obviously not improving it on how it should be, just from how it was.

While looking for info and pictures to assist me, I've seen far better machines than this, stripped down and the original sides replaced with new wood and repro artwork, which I think is a shame, unless it's this state leave it alone and tidy up edges. It's only original once. Suppose it depends where your putting the machines, if its in your lounge or kitchen, a beat up rotting cab don't look good, not too fused myself though, happy just to have one at all

To expensive to restore, only way this would of been worth doing is if you had all the parts from years back when cheap and even then you would have a very beat up machine, the cabinet alone would need a full restoration, basically you'd be building pretty much a new one apart from the base section (also needing repairs), roof (needs new T-moulding), you have at least the metal parts, so then it wouldn't be original in anyway so you might as well built a new cabinet completely. would sooner leave it as is, I will tidy up areas of it to make it look better eventually

Not to everyone's taste I know and I totally understand why you would want one of these running Original Hardware, after watching some videos of good players on an original machine, the game is pretty awesome and nothing replaces VectorSmile all my machines are original boards apart from the twin PC driving machine and now this

Seen a few other machines running on emulation, Found Bruno's thread of fitting PC in his cab, AW sold an Upright years back with PC inside and there are others out there, I bet also they are all in far better condition Cabs than this, so I don't feel too guilty beings this had been stripped out to a point you need the insides of a complete machine to restore it. The cab has been so hacked up and needs new sections of wood everywhere so Emulation is the route I'm takingEmbarrassed

Really know how to get myself in a mess, After selling 2 of the 4 Jamma cabs I had to create space for the ones I have already own, wasn't going to buy any more machines, no more at all but typical as soon as I sell some really cool ones appear on ebay.

First was After Burner sitdown, hadn't got space but I still bid, luckily didn't win it, Then not long After this sitdown After BurnerErmm... Star Wars comes up. I commented, Perfect I was after a After Burner Sitdown, just need to make it move, joking of course.

Original Post here  http://www.ukvac.com/forum/very-confused-star-wars-cockpit_topic354577.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.ukvac.com/forum/very-confused-star-wars-cockpit_topic354577.html

Trouble is then, you put it in your watch list just to see what price it will end at, then I keep looking at it, thinking about what you could do with it. Have quite a few Sitdown machines, think there really cool, all but one are Driving games and I've panned for a while it would be ace to have an Analogue setup on a machine to play Space/Flight games.

One of the things that did put you off is the cost of getting Control Panel and Yoke, Plastic monitor surround and Marquee, they dont come up often now and not cheap if they do. Other Star Wars Cockpit cabs that were converted years ago at least still had CP and Plastic surround but often some rubbish driving game. only advantage of this was the Afterburner complete, working apart from missing buttons on control handle. I have Upright AB also so useful as not sure the Throttle working on it.

Early days of PC gaming for me was Prince of Persia, Wolfenstein 3D and Lucas-Arts Star Wars X-Wing and Tie Fighter before seeing the awesome Alone In The Dark and AITD2 which I played till completed. The Tie Figher and X-Wing games I probably would of played more if you have a proper setup with Flight Joystick, be nice to play again and good cab to do that in, then find measuring up the SW Cockpit from the flyers to see how big these are, yeah it's only size of 2 Electrocoin jamma cabs and ive just sold 2Approve wasn't really what I should of been thinking, should of been I've just made that space to get the machines I have already sorted

I don't plan to much to early when it comes to things on ebay because you never know if it will be removed or maybe end at £1000 so wait till nearer the time.  Day it's ending, I'm watching it count down, no I'm not gonna bid, just watching then I find myself entering bid amount and hover over the mouse, all rational thoughts gone as it's still cheapish and I bid, half hoping I get outbid but no, I've win it...What have I done now, oh well too late, will have to tell the missus, so I use her love of Sci-Fi to break the news, you know how you like Sci-Fi, well I bought something for USLOL. Though most times she will be happy that we are going some where and 1st question is, does it mean McDonalds, as we always have breakfast in them when picking things up, sadly this time no, as it's not that far.

The ebay photo's showed the cab in a van, thought I'd ask if it's still in there and could he drop off to me for a price, he agreed which saved me hassle hiring vans, he was passing one night the next week so dropped off only it was quite late, dark and trying to rain by time he arrived, didn't want him to mess about so I said I'd move it in myself not knowing it would be quite so heavy, all the other sitdown cabs are plywood and for a reason, they are much lighter, this is near 200kg, ok there on wheels but it wouldn't move on my road as that was very poor at the time, plus my drive is all uneven so I struggled like hell with it, someone nailed on alloy strips under bottom sides, that was catching on the road and bottom of cab is dragging on floor, bits of it getting ripped off, I thought what have I done again. cab has damaged areas all over the place. Managed to drag it in, then move a few things about to get it where I need it. Oh well too late to worry, needed to get a plan of action on what to do with it.

I posted some wanted ads for Control Panel, was surprised when I got a response nearly straight away, good old backflipper to the rescue. Just like the cab the CP was from another one that had been converted and came with Joystick and buttons, kind of perfect for this cab so I snapped that up from him, he also had a nice yoke too but I wanted to keep the cost down so kindly declined as I'd already another plan for that. No luck with the Plastic surround though, kept posting wanted ads every little while, then missed one offered for sale here, shame people dont see the wanted ads always but they soon get onto page 2 or 3,

So where do you start on it.

Had to be painted sides really and outrun Artwork removal. It was being used as an outrun after Star Wars hence the artwork, has original metal plate from Outrun Sitdown cabs where original pedals fitted. Painted Blue for Outrun, then painted black when Afterburner installed It does make you wonder where machines like this are found, I asked the seller when he dropped it off, basically he imports coin up stuff from USA, if container not full they take some video games, he got told they have a Star Wars machine so he agreed on $900 for it, hadn't seen any pictures so got a bit of a shock when this arrived, shipping on top also so he made a loss on this he said, makes you wonder what it would fetch now, Risk you take on ebay though,  Before stripping the afterburner out, I did have a mess about with it, was playable once I sorted handle out, but no sound. don't know what ape installed it all, but it was dangerous, the controller that weighs a lot held on with a couple of wood screws and 1 latch, the wiring was such a state, things nearly shorting out, the controller wasn't fixed in, so move the handle up all way the mech was loose and moved about too nearly shorting things out

If it was in an arcade like this then the owner should of been sued, it was so bad. Strangely, Afterburner in this was pretty cool to play specially with 26" monitor, to be honest I would sooner play it in this if was done properly than on the upright original cab.

Had a go at getting the paint off as it was but would take you months, so at weekend I went screwfix for no nonsense paint remover £4.99 500ml bottle, pays to look around though as Wilko has same stuff at only £3.49 did the job perfect and only used half a bottle on both sides. put it on, left for 10mins scrape it straight off, then used aldi cleaner to clean off the rest of paint stripper and paint remains just wipes off specially on the inserts of roof sides.

Wondering how bad the artwork would be under it, that's if it had any so was desperate to see what it looks like, But before I started on that I wanted to see what the machine had left in it that was original, there is that little bit of hope that they may have left some original bits inside maybe, under the seat? nope nothing

So what is left, basically The speakers and most of the wire to the front of cab for them, has original vents, metal marquee and roof retainers, remains of Service Panel, rear Marquee light, that's it. Check out the roof panels, that's a mix of one original top piece well scratched, rest is any old bits of plastic, so I had my fingers crossed for the Marque under the black paint, so started cleaning the paint offCry no luck though, original Glass Marquee long gone, but I did get a surprising shockBig smile

So these were the Ebay Photo's in back of Van

So I had to see what was under this black paint on the Marquee, I could of just removed to look at the back it but thought I'd use some paint stripper and see whats under there

Ermm Citroen.. whatConfused 

-------------
WANTED! Buggy Boy Junior Rear Seat. Continental Circus Cockpit Lower Rear Light Plexi and more space

Replies:
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 4:58pm

Started on the other side to see if It was what I thought, well it was outrun before Afterburner

I've had whole Bootleg Outrun Control Panels, exact copy of Sega Wheel, Mech and Shifter even down to the centre badge, they never say Sega though, otherwise you wouldn't of known, but don't think I've seen a Bootleg Marquee

Being an Outrun fan, this was a nice bonusSmile though I'd sooner the left car have been a Honda than Citroen, odd choice of car though, wonder where the marquee was made

-------------
WANTED! Buggy Boy Junior Rear Seat. Continental Circus Cockpit Lower Rear Light Plexi and more space

Posted By: wim outrun repro
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 5:02pm
Thats a cool find, of a rare outrun style marquee.
Cheers wim outrun

Posted By: big10p
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 5:11pm
lol is that a French OR boot, I wonder.

-------------

Posted By: _Matt_
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 5:15pm
Absolutely love that Outrun Marquee

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 6:48pm
Certainly different isn't it Smile makes you wonder where some of these bootlegs were made, you would assume china these days but back then it's seems pretty much anywere

Ok so it wasn't the original but cool none the less, then it was time to get more of the artwork off, I really wish the seller hadn't started, though it's hard to say if he made any areas worse or not

For some reason they liked to put Aluminium everywhere, not the best for the floor, also the original covers were the wood sides join replaced with thin alloy, so something else missing, should be able to make some though

First side done, it's better than it could of been, few area's where the paint just pulled off the artwork, didn't seem to matter what I did, maybe those area's were damaged a bit before being painted and the paint stuck to it more, not sure the artwork helped either, waste of Outrun side Art though

2nd side I didn't do for a while later but we'll get that out way now, keep noticing different things missing before I've got to them, it's like a movie with bad continuityEmbarrassed

Took ages to get the artwork off, didn't want it to pull the paint off and Star Wars art with it, some parts nothing you did stopped it, you could be peeling it away nicely and then a big area would come off easy with paint stuck to it and art, frustrating really

Most of the bad areas are nearer the bottom, at least it looks like a Star Wars now, would of been sad if no artwork at all so can't complain, the bottom edge this side has some quite bad damage, not helped buy the Aluminium they had screwed to the bottom again, then because of other problems which are common it seems, that has got caught on the floor and pulled off chunks of the chipboard

-------------

Posted By: _Matt_
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 7:00pm
Great result managing to keep that much of the original art!

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 8:47pm
It's pretty good really isn't it. by time I've repaired all the edges and painter the border black, that will tidy it up a lot more

The roof panels, only one original which is scratched and marked, also was fitted wrong way and on top of the wood that's there for the metal to go onto, the big holes should be the other end and also a chunk missing out of it

The rest of the panels are a random strip of tinted and then some really thick sheet painted black with some metal to cover the gap

So I cleaned off some of the paint from this roof panel to see whats underneath

Monitor Perspex sheet from Sprint 2 cab

So needs new set of roof panels making

-------------

Posted By: smarty
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 8:50pm
The Op certainly raided the scrap cab parts bin to make this monster!

Great job on what you've done so far, I remember when this was came up for sale, good luck with the rest of it.

-------------
http://www.jumpnfire.com" rel="nofollow - jumpnfire.com

MOST WANTED:
- Atari Return of the Jedi upright cabinet.
- Atari Pole Position PCB's.

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 8:58pm
Was trying to work out what was going on with the seat, didn't seem right, after looking at other cab pics I realised it was the wrong angle

Another alteration from outrun days probably along with the outrun sitdown pedal fixing plate so that was more work replacing the wood after being removed

This Aluminium floor stuff has to go also

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 9:28pm
So now I'd got a Control Panel I could make a start on making it look like a Star Wars again

My plan for the Controller yoke was to convert this rather tired Road Blasters I bought many years ago in the early days of collecting, came with the control panel, the encoder pcb was missing but seller never said, should have curved bar at bottom which is missing, thumb buttons replaced with these switches, so half the work is already done, would save me a fortune to use this. I have a Road Blasters machine anyway so not needed. 

-------------

Posted By: clarkey
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 10:30pm
Fantastic job cleaning up the art, impressed it had survived as well as it had.

Also that Outrun marque with the Citroen is fantastic

Posted By: Wurstkopp
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 11:23pm
Fantastic job, dude! Subscribed. Smile

-------------
Robotron, Smash TV, Final Fight, Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Street Fighter 2, Donkey Kong, Galaga 88, Centipede cabaret, SNK MVS-U4, Taito MT-8

Posted By: stevebm1
Date Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 7:40am
your starting to see the rewards of all your hard work,well doneClap

-------------
====WANTED====
LATE 70'S/EARLY 80'S BALLY PINBALL PROJECT

Posted By: iamjimmi
Date Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 8:28am
Chris, do you know the Alan-1 repro Yoke has been reduced to 350 USD?

All aluminium gears. Great price if your budget will stretch to it.

https://alan-1.com/product/alan-1-star-wars-flight-yoke/

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 8:48am
Cheers GuysSmile

It's been quite a lot of work, as usual it's needed far more work on the cab than I thought and that's without repairing the damaged areas. getting the paint off did take quite a while, worn my nails down about 4 times and waited for them to grow back to carry onLOL I don't find much else works to replace your thumb nail to remove paint, labels etc though I did end up using a plastic scrapper that comes with 151 bottle of label remover stuff, used that on 2nd side more to get it done quicker

The paint stripper softens the paint nicely and then it comes of quite easy, not worth struggling without, some areas it did come off without but not much, some areas the paint has affected the artwork and if not carful it would just scrape the artwork off

So after I got the the Control Panel, I thought that's it, lets get this afterburner stuff out, see what's left to work with, the 26" monitor was bodged in with 2 big bits of wood with huge screws through sides of the cab, so more extra holes now, don't understand why they couldn't use original monitor brackets, that's something else missing too if you were trying to restore properly

The wood with mains filter, switcher and transformer on was held to top of coin box with 1 small bolt and loose, mains wires nearly touching earth straps, difficult to see how bad it was in photo's

Lovely cardboard painted black for the monitor shroudTongue

The controller being so loose has hit on the heatsink and damaged one of the pcb's that was right behind it, everything was just thrown in any how, wires going everywhere as you'll see, not good at all

So no good news with the control panel off, not much left at all of the wood that should be there for the star wars CP to bolt too, side supports cut off, only part left is the wood for the glass behind the plastic surround. so more work replacing all these parts.

Just for comparison this is what they should look like

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 8:57am
The Coin door was lower one with arcade button, so needs replacing and lower cash door was lock, tried all the keys I have but not one worked, so drilled the lock

keep hoping I'll find something good in the cab, so far just a few USA coins and tokens, so what will we find behind the cash door

Just a book and a soppy one at thatDead  you can see all the brass lever remains on the floor, easy to get these locks as the levers are soft, usually I look at ways to get on back of lock to undo but box on back stops you

-------------

Posted By: namfreak
Date Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 10:01am
It's really interesting to see what you're uncovering. This is arcade archaeology!
It's astounding the lengths someone has gone to in the conversion

Great job on exposing the original artwork, who knew that was under there
That bootleg OutRun marquee is great!

Will be following tis with interest......

Posted By: Chopper79
Date Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 10:58am
All these sweet cabs, bods has been holding out on us! Anyone fancy a raid? ??

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by Chopper79 Chopper79 wrote:

All these sweet cabs, bods has been holding out on us! Anyone fancy a raid? ??

To be honest I could raid myself, hmm that don't sound right does itLOL

When I'm looking for stuff, I open boxes etc and find things I don't even remember buying or totally forgot about so it's like being at a arcade boot sale

Just put the Pop Up Market Stall Tent in garden so I can move some stuff out and wont matter if it rains a bit, need to look for some bit also and get after burner machine near front door, .

This was one of the problems when I took out all the after burner parts from this, I'm like where do I put all this stuff till after burner machine sorted out, so 26" monitor, big control panel, boards and psu, it's just another huge pile of parts taking up space

Need to put these shark heads somewhere, was thinking on front of the building with lights in the mouth as fixing already for them, need to see if they would be ok outside

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 11:24pm
With the Control Panel I thought I would start to try fitting it in place. no wood where the CP should go it was all a bit guess work, really could of done with the Plastic Surround

The side parts of the wood had been cut off at bottom, really it needs the side supports remaking completely but for now I've added to what's there, it has a gap where it fixes to sides of cab so the Plastic Surround has space to slot in

The lower glass support was there still, CP support I had to cut out some plywood to replace what's missing. other problem is I don't know if the lower wood is in the right place, it could of been adjusted for them to fit the pedals for outrun, quite a few areas of it have screws when the should be stapled in place, so it's all a bit of a mess. I was going to leave the hole in the lower part, later I decided to cut some new wood out for it.

Pretty much everything used on the machine is from other stuff scrapped, old parts, nice to reuse old wood, saves money to. No idea if it's in right place, had to wait till Plastic part found to buy

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 9:29am
While I was waiting to get a monitor sorted and the Plastic Surround I started investigating why it's so low to the floor which was making it a nightmare to move about to work on

It seems most suffer from this same issue, Bruno's machine was literally on the floor because someone thought they would solve the issue by removing the wheelsConfused 

Only ones that probably haven't had issue are ones not been used much. this is where I find machines in USA aren't built that well, you don't get this problem with any Japan built machines, they are still as solid as the day there made. The Japanese should be very proud of quality products they made. Looking at my Double Dragon machine yesterday, the insides of the cab don't have Vinyl covering, it's just chipboard painted black which is worn off a bit so you can see the chipboard, Electrocoin machines are built pretty well too

So I took the seat back out and cleaned behind that, then took off the lower back panel under the marquee, with the coin door in the way it seem the bottom of the left side Outrun artwork was cut off and stuck on the rear of cab

Nice to get the insides clean as well

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 9:42am
So basically the wood starts coming away because they are only nailed together. Really with the hole weight of the machine and the person sitting inside it, if I was building it, there wouldn't have been small blocks of wood along the edge to hold the base section on and then another block to hold the seat up

Why not have one piece of chipboard from the base to the seat, then the seat nor base would ever have come loose, that's how I would of built it. the wood has then bent upwards from all the years of use.

nice mess inside the tunnel where the cables go, few more coins but nothing special

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 10:07am

So at this point I had to think about how to get the wood back where it should be, it is bowed now so not going to go bad easy

The only thing you have above it is the seat, so it's either something to push it down or remove seat and put some really heavy items on the base. after thinking more, I remembered something we did in woodwork at school, shame I can't show my old teachers some of this I do, be nice for them to see they didn't waste their time with me, I did learn as well as messing about

So one thing we did in woodwork was steaming wood and bending it, so out comes the bosch wallpaper stripper, steamed the wood while using both trolley jacks to slowly push it down so I could get some screws in, that wolf right angle screwdriver adaptor don't half come in handy too and the impact driver

Get that Alloy metal off the bottom, few bits of T-Mould with it

Wheels cleaned up and bolted back on

They are quite low to the floor anyway so with back dropped it was pretty much on the floor, no wonder I had such a nightmare getting it in my extension, made things easy now. Why you would just take the wheels off completely, but other cabs I've seen the wood just the same, the front was even starting to separate and that's without persons weight.

-------------

Posted By: Amb47uk
Date Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 10:18am
Nice work.. I'd personally open up a Valuations thread on "Brides of Durango".

What a find

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 12:14am
Something different to value I supposeLOL

I did look on ebay if it was worth anything, sadly not but you have to checkSmile

So nothing interesting in the machine really

Gotta say I have been quite lucky since buying the cab, everything I've needed or thought I could do with has just happened to come up for sale on ebay and members here like the CP. I do have a 20" VGA Monitor, it's Hantarex but it's not working, sounds quite serious last time I tried it, also have a 14" hantarex like for Amiga Computer which is also bad and no info on that

So just when I need one, thought VGA would be easier specially if I play some PC games in it also and this Japan Toei one from a Sega machine came up on ebay, I thought I'd paid £50 for it but just looked and it was £20, had a trip over to Herefordshire to get it though so ended up costing about £50 with the fuelLOL probably why I thought that. came in original box but not worth risking monitor in post even in box, Seller said it was untested so you never know

Connected up to my PC at work bench and working, so nice honest ebayer, it did have some issues, made some horrible screeching noise till it's warmed up, brightness seemed to alter also but good start

Has remote board for controls too which is always niceSmile

26" Monitor would be nice but this will do but now need something to fix it in the cab with, the one that came out screwed in with wood, don't get why they didn't use original brackets, wanted to myself so had a look in my pile of metal from old machines and other things, found these monitor bracketsSmile I think they were from the 1st rail chase machine I bought which was a bit of a wreck, cab damaged in transit, air tank had hole in it, no back doors and other things but nice to have spares for the nice one I got. Bit too so I cut them down, cut middle part out to get them to correct height for this monitor, then use that part to rejoin them, drill holes and tap threads into the joiner, saves messing with nuts as well, I couldn't find the right length allen key bolts I'd bought at the time but I've swapped them now

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 12:39am
Had to do quite a lot of searching on the net for other cab pics to get all these parts done, I had no original parts much to work out where things really need to be, so lots of guess work, studying pics to position things

The monitor brackets must be something similar in size now to the original ones, I've used the original holes to bolt them in place, middle through the join plate so plenty strong enough

Monitor fits nice and looks pretty much centred when your sat inside . It's a good job I keep all these old parts, would be twice as much work if you haven't got this stuff or you would have to bodge it in like it was before, plus it's using the parts up which gets me more space backThumbs Up

Couldn't resist testing it out on the game that should be on the screen, so got a few leads and connected to the PC again.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 1:12am
Nice to see it on the screen but still lots to do before it's playable

Was also working on Monkey Vending machine while doing this along with other non arcade projects, so many things to do. Had to buy some Polycarbonate for the Monkey, so same time I bought some tinted bits for roof panels, rear marquee and the monitor.

Found someone selling original monitor glass on ebay in US and they had kindly put the thickness and sizes, I measured up my wood frame and pretty much same size so got that as well, wasn't sure what Tint to get so I got light grey and dark grey, fitted the light grey to start with to see how that looks

Don't know why I have so many problems buying or getting things done in Leicester, I cannot seem to find anywhere that does jobs or sells stuff and can manage it without issues or can supply it. I tried another place for Perspex before, asked for it cut to size, was for Double Dragon 2 cab, they had cut it slightly over so it wouldn't fit, I had to trim it down then which is hard to do.

did get some from another closer place once and they were fine, bit slow sorting it out but no issues, this time I use a place that I'm sure I went to previously as they were near my parents but now moved closer, spent £160 with them, picked it all up which is why wanted local place, guy helped load in car, I unloaded it but didn't look at it all, when I start using it, the amount of scratches in the protective layer, I meant to send them a complaint but so busy I totally forgot about it, worst place I've used AGAIN and it's Leicester, it wasn't just the protective plastic on top that was scratched when I peeled some off either, scratches and marks in the polycarbonate too, I took photo's of it all and should of left a review

The Powder coaters I am not using again, used them loads, used to be really good, good prices, not I get crap jobs done and prices seem expensive now, last 2 lots of stuff there are areas with no paint, not enough or like the Op Wolf gun parts, they put far too much paint on them, I couldn't assemble the damn thing.

So fed up of local companies. I've used Trent Plastics quite a few times for Perspex stuff, never had an issue and that's shipped from up north too.  I bought some O-rings for radio control cars in garden from local place, just go on steering to drive the pot, few months after I fitted them we tried to use them, they wouldn't steer again, took the wheel out, the new O-Rings had fell to bits, useless In Leicester for anything. I can never buy half the stuff I want, often simple stuff that I can find on ebay in seconds, local no chance

I just totally give up now which is why I try and do everything myself. I had a few things I'm working on, Want to make a roof for my Patio so I can work outside any weather, can take photo's if it's raining, local Aluminium supplier so I could get it from there to make frame, they also do bespoke work, so thought I'd email and ask about a sign I need a back making for, also prices on alloy, The can't even be bothered to reply, thought it's easier to email as you can put all details down, but nothing, I'm looking at spending Hundreds with them. Used to try and buy local keep places open but give up now

Next thing on my list is getting Sandblasting setup sorted so I can do that myself, got spray guns so I'll paint the things myself

Was desperate to start another part of this other month and couldn't get some basic items local, ok some of the bits were USA thead UNC bolts I think, no where local, ebay no issue, I don't plan ahead for when I've got one thing done, so you would have what you need for the next part but will do nowAngry gets me so annoyed around here

So fitted the Sheet of Light Grey Tint

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 7:36am
I bet that's the first time star wars has been fired up in that cab for decades

-------------
====WANTED====

Posted By: Richard May
Date Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 8:44am
Originally posted by Bods Bods wrote:

Don't know why I have so many problems buying or getting things done in Leicester, I cannot seem to find anywhere that does jobs or sells stuff and can manage it without issues or can supply it. I tried another place for Perspex before, asked for it cut to size, was for Double Dragon 2 cab, they had cut it slightly over so it wouldn't fit, I had to trim it down then which is hard to do.

did get some from another closer place once and they were fine, bit slow sorting it out but no issues, this time I use a place that I'm sure I went to previously as they were near my parents but now moved closer, spent £160 with them, picked it all up which is why wanted local place, guy helped load in car, I unloaded it but didn't look at it all, when I start using it, the amount of scratches in the protective layer, I meant to send them a complaint but so busy I totally forgot about it, worst place I've used AGAIN and it's Leicester, it wasn't just the protective plastic on top that was scratched when I peeled some off either, scratches and marks in the polycarbonate too, I took photo's of it all and should of left a review

The Powder coaters I am not using again, used them loads, used to be really good, good prices, not I get crap jobs done and prices seem expensive now, last 2 lots of stuff there are areas with no paint, not enough or like the Op Wolf gun parts, they put far too much paint on them, I couldn't assemble the damn thing.

So fed up of local companies. I've used Trent Plastics quite a few times for Perspex stuff, never had an issue and that's shipped from up north too.  I bought some O-rings for radio control cars in garden from local place, just go on steering to drive the pot, few months after I fitted them we tried to use them, they wouldn't steer again, took the wheel out, the new O-Rings had fell to bits, useless In Leicester for anything. I can never buy half the stuff I want, often simple stuff that I can find on ebay in seconds, local no chance

I just totally give up now which is why I try and do everything myself.

Broken Britain mate, not just Leicester. It's across the board, whatever you're having done, whatever it's for, whenever you need it for. I genuinely love the half-there artwork on your Star Wars. You're literally looking back through time with stuff like this, like rings on a tree stump.

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 9:44am
Very good job with the steamer (was Brides of Durango not steamy enough?)

I had to straighten a plywood laser disc player drawer on a Dragon's Lair years ago. Poured boiling water over it and clamped it several times and it straightened it just great!

From exposing the artwork, to offering up the CP and playing the game blind it really is starting to be reverted to its former glory

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 10:43am
Originally posted by namfreak namfreak wrote:

Very good job with the steamer (was Brides of Durango not steamy enough?)

I had to straighten a plywood laser disc player drawer on a Dragon's Lair years ago. Poured boiling water over it and clamped it several times and it straightened it just great!

From exposing the artwork, to offering up the CP and playing the game blind it really is starting to be reverted to its former glory

I don't know I haven't finished reading it yet     bloody rubbish, glad the other half not into that stuff either

Just couldn't help getting Star Wars on the screen. It must of been a long time since it ran like you say, would love to know what year it was converted to outrun, going to have been after 1986, we can be sure on that

Makes you wonder why they would have all these outrun parts really to put in the cab, you would have to of put it in fairly soon after it was out, can't imagine it was worth it after turbo outrun as lots got converted to that, pedals must of been from sitdown, unless they got more bootleg parts like I had, wish I'd kept all the bootleg outrun Control panel now, same wheel and badge, put it with the Marquee now too

Wish I could find pictures of it in arcade with outrun or when changed to after burner, oh that's a point, if they changed to after burner, was that because outrun had board issue or just wanted later game in there but that's 1987 so who knows, so yeah could be 30 years or more since last ran Star Wars

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 11:15am
Originally posted by kidyamlo kidyamlo wrote:

Originally posted by Bods Bods wrote:

I just totally give up now which is why I try and do everything myself.

Broken Britain mate, not just Leicester. It's across the board, whatever you're having done, whatever it's for, whenever you need it for. I genuinely love the half-there artwork on your Star Wars. You're literally looking back through time with stuff like this, like rings on a tree stump.

Your probably right, just never found Leicester any good for buying things even, always have to go to Birmingham, amazing really places are so bad, when you look at what members here have done over the years, some really quality work going on, but ask professional place to do the work and it's half arsed. Mind you in my job, over the 25 years I've only worked with a few that are capable of doing the job their paid at, one guy in Stoke is just the best, only guy I've met that does a proper job and if I started my own business he would be someone I'd ask to be a partner

Enough of the moaning anyway

I bought a Marquee from USA, bought it quite early and just before Muddy bought the printer for direct to plastic, oh well one of those things

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 11:24am

It's not bad at all, thin plastic so sandwiched between 2 bits of polycarbonate I had cut to size. has nice glossy finish so don't look bad, should of took picture without the old bit of Perspex over it. As this is the USA Cockpit they have rear printed glass, so wanted the same look, not bad lit up

The Colours are right it's just the photo with this Camera, this one looks better

I have scanned the Marquee I have and send to Muddy, hopefully he can clean it up and print one on thicker 5mm sheet so it's more solid and should look amazing then 

Below for Comparison. Was trying to find picture of original lit up but not found any yet but this was original machine someone else restoring

-------------

Posted By: Alpha1
Date Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 12:58pm
You are doing an AMAZING JOB on this!!

-------------
Wanted: Time Traveller, GALAXIAN 3 THEATER, 80's Namco & Taito games

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 5:48pm
Cheers Ol Smile

I was a bit unsure about posting the work on it, I know it's one of the Grail cabs for a quite a few so understand if real fans don't approve, then I've seen quite a few others that have been done, some probably temporally till parts got together and some in pretty clean condition

If this had been in decent condition and just missing the boards and monitor I would of wanted it restored properly, then again I doubt I would of bid due to costs of parts and fixing them, certainly wouldn't want to mame a nice one

Was certainly happy when this big box arrived from USA Big smile  The last piece of the puzzle

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 10:53pm
Took me a while to get one, didn't really want to pay big money but you don't have much of a choice for one, but as another member here pointed out, he felt lucky to get one at all, fair comment and good way to look at it, so far I hadn't spent too much so made an offer on one in USA which they accepted and arrived well packed and as described, not perfect but good enough for this machine

-------------

Posted By: big10p
Date Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 10:58pm
Nice. It's all coming together! Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 11:10pm
End of the day, I can't finish the cosmetics of the cab until I got the surround. now I have this I got the control panel fixing cut out for the controller

The wood isn't quite as thick as the original so I strengthened it up with more on the back at top, also realised there were 2 small blocks of wood missing at the top each side to support the surround, has a thinner bit of wood at the back of them so there is a gap for edge of plastic to slot in

So test fit the Surround, wasn't bad fit considering had not original parts to go on, just from pics of others. It wasn't perfect as the control panel was catching on the plastic at the very bottom, that was then pushing the left side top away from the side

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 11:37pm

Can't seem to find any photo's but I ended up cutting out two new pieces of wood under the control panel. the ones there had the big hole for the pedals, originally I was thinking about adding a pedal back again like the Zac Buck Rogers but had new plan when some other controllers came up. So with the new wood, some old bits with vinyl covering already, not perfect match but you can't see it under the CP

Now I can get that at correct angle so the control panel sat on the Plastic surround properly. By time I got the Surround, I also had won an original Yoke for cheapish price, though the condition it was in I really paid too much, the cover on it is another I bought with original artowork as the cover that was on it was so bad, bent to hell

So at least it's looking complete nowSmile

-------------

Posted By: Vamino
Date Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 11:48pm
I really wondered where you was going with this when you first posted, but I have to say that you are doing a fantasic job with this!

Please keep posting stuff like this mate. Approve

-------------
Insert Coin[s]

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 11:55pm

The original Service/Utility panel was one of only original parts left, no volume control and quite rusty. Didn't want to alter it so thought I'd make replacement, got plenty metal to use and bending tool and I could add the things I need like more volume controls

-------------

Posted By: Mikonos11
Date Posted: 04 Jul 2019 at 8:15am
Bods, did you conserve some colour samples for artwork reprint?  I think It is very important because there are a lot of restorations with no colour match.

I think, when original is available, is prime to get some samples for future restorations. I speak for me becaus I likt to get some little pieces of blue and red serigraphy from original artwork.

Regards

-------------
My mail: midasororey@yahoo.es

Posted By: Tony
Date Posted: 04 Jul 2019 at 7:17pm
Your doing a great job! love reading this, I remember this on eBay!

-------------
Tony

Posted By: Chopper79
Date Posted: 04 Jul 2019 at 8:29pm
I've got an original service panel, for that cab. Same as your original.

-------------

Posted By: jase38
Date Posted: 05 Jul 2019 at 10:01am
I'm absolutely loving this restoration.  Its conversion history is fascinating, and it's awesome to see you bring this machine back to life and turn it back into a Star Wars.  It's not a restoration for the faint hearted, and the machine definitely ended up in the right hands, awesome work! 

-------------
http://planetharriers.blogspot.co.uk" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 05 Jul 2019 at 1:03pm
has been a lot more work than I thought but I really do enjoy it, just create myself too much to do all the time

It's a good job I have plenty of time to work on the machines. was hoping to get work done on the front garden and cars really but when weather is rubbish I can't with no garage, that's what I bought the pop up tent mainly

The Service panel might be the same in other Atari Cabs, I put it on ebay in case anyone needs one as I saw sellers in US asking $70 or so though I should probably just keep for another machine, never know when I need these things.

Sometimes you never learn by previous mistakes, I took out the speakers to clean them, One had so much dirt on it you couldn't see the foam edge. I know perfectly well not to touch old foam edges on them as they can be fine and you try and clean or touch them with your finger and that's it, falls apart. Cleaned all the dust from the edges, then decided to clean the cone itself, using cloth with touch of cleaner, I was being careful but just caught the edge slighty, straight through, so I just touched it all round.

Have quite a few old speakers with this issue, some Technics 6cm deep ones that had 4 foam edges with the passive radiator around the bass ring, need restoring but no idea how to do them, why did they use crappy foam

Another thing with the Star Wars, one set of speakers are 4 ohm, the other 8 ohm. they have single volume control. So the 4 ohm are the lower ones, I wonder if they did this so the lower under seat set are louder instead of just having separate amps and 2 controls.

So knackered one of the 8ohm and found after cleaning the other 4ohm is shot too, when you push the cone it scrapes, coils sometimes come loose and catch so had to replace the speakers

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Jul 2019 at 1:17pm
Looked on ebay for some 6x9's

Found a guy with job lot, not in best condition some but like cheap stuff. these Alpine's looked good, more work sorting them out

The tweeter hanging out one, loads of grit and dirt under the tweeter/Midrange unit, so removed to clean them, glue the tweeter back, though they are waste of time, just fancy looking watch speakers, don't know why or how they get away with this, you can't hear them hardly without the others connected so they do nothing, but because it works sort of they can call them 3 way, basically they are 2 way. repair the terminal that fell off

I also got some Sony and Pioneer ones in another lot, they both sounded rubbish to these Alpine though, the bass on these is so much softer and the highs so much better quality treble, others sounded pretty poor afterwards, so I soured another set to put 4 Alpine SPS in there

Next issue is the the raised T/M ones hit the grills so I made some raises in wood, the other set came with some plastic ones which was bonus

After cleaning left and before Right

Cant seem to find picture of them fitted, I'll take some and add sometime, got another idea to add to them yet anyway

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Jul 2019 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by Vamino Vamino wrote:

I really wondered where you was going with this when you first posted, but I have to say that you are doing a fantasic job with this!

Please keep posting stuff like this mate. Approve

Cheers MateySmile

End of day, it's a Star Wars machine so the main thing it needs to run is Star Wars and look as original as it can do. To be honest I would of been happy with that Firefox cockpit, just too long though, would of been perfect with having a PC inside already

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Jul 2019 at 2:04pm
I started adding some of the parts needed to power the machine, got loads of old bits from cabs, job lots I've bought, some really useful stuff

The Mains switch and cover I believe are original, though the wood it goes on isn't, Added 110v stepdown for the monitor, used the filter that was in the cab, a terminal block from old Taito cab, black one

Then I had to move things to fit in another terminal block, that was from a later Atari driving machine lot I think, need connections for the PC Power Supply so spade connectors make it easy

Then after deciding what amplifiers to use, had to move things again and add transformer for those

Starting fitting PC board in place where the original Monitor pcb was

Had 2 spare Sega Amplifiers so thought I'd wire those up, took a bit of working out what was needed and connections, they need 18v to power them I think it was, from the Atari Driving insides I bought there was transformer with 2 18V outputs with centre tap, so connected them both to it, worked out the volume controls which are 5k pots and the audio inputs and speaker outputs, amps slightly different but only the connector types. after all that I had no sound at all, looked at some of the circuits from Sega driving cabs again and found they use the mute, it's connected to game pcb's I think so when no sound being output it mutes the amp so no buzzing or noise, so all it needs is the pins on connector shorting together to unmute the amps

So wiring looms made and now they are un muted it's all working, the mute pins are on same connector as Volume pots, on the bottom left in picture, the ones top left are audio input and bottom middle speaker output

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Jul 2019 at 2:17pm

Wanted separate Volume controls for the lower and upper speakers which is why I added 2 amps

I do have issue with it though, one amp connected to PC it's perfect, soon as 2nd connected the earth on the input connects and you get very loud buzzing through the speakers, will probably blow the speakers if left. for now I've had to add an adaptor so one input hasn't got earth directly connected

Not sure how I can sort this out properly yetErmm 

Just isolates the earth, only trouble is then when PC shut down, you get buzzing on one amp if Volume at reasonable level

Fitted more of the PC bits, PSU and Hard Drive, have loads of old brackets for HDD's etc. Button on Service panel to start it up and Power LED too. Another thing was to add Relay to power the monitor up when the PC switched on, so you don't leave the monitor powered on as you don't see anything when PC off and found myself forgetting, pcb and relay was from front panel of Microwave, 12V connected to PSU 12 supply, need to add some feet and fix to side of cab

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Jul 2019 at 3:10pm
Not sure if the Coin Door frame and lower door original, the upper door was a lower door with hole in and standard jamma fire button fitted in it

Took all that out and fitted another double door with old twin Mechanical mechs like it should have

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Jul 2019 at 3:47am

When the Control Panel didn't fit right, I decided to replace the wood under it with the holes where pedals fitted, looked like it had been altered anyway. hadn't got any wood with Smooth Vinyl but you can't tell under there

The front edge has recess for the hinge to fit so it's flush with the wood, jobs like this are far easier when you have a Table saw and Router.

Then I had to scrape off all the old Adhesive from the floor, needed to get some new black matting down

Amazing how long it takes just doing jobs like this, after getting all the old glue off I gave it a quick sand down before spray glue going down on the wood and the new mat, I bought a roll of ribbed matting for the Op Wolf and Electrocoin machines, it's quite good match and looks good in this also

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Jul 2019 at 7:53am
that matting and new wood really brighten things up

-------------
====WANTED====

Posted By: Franzy21
Date Posted: 06 Jul 2019 at 9:05pm
As someone posted, this is real archaeology you're doing here!!!
Keep up the good work. Smile

-------------
Dreaming of a Namco Galaxian waiting for me in a barn...

Date Posted: 07 Jul 2019 at 1:31am
It is a shame some of these old machines have been converted and hacked up, you can understand they were there to make money for the operators but i guess things moved quickly back then with new games released all time, better grahics and hardware,
suppose its no good a game sat there making no money so either moved on or converted

Only way to look at it, at least the cab still exists, could of been scrapped years ago

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Jul 2019 at 9:03am
The coin door needed wiring up, luckily I found part of a loom off a machine in my boxes of cables so the hard part is already done and has connector already, the bulbs and spade connectors

I don't like the other type doors with Mars coin mechs, it's that orange reject button, every machine I change the doors back to these older type twin mechs or if the later games like Chase HQ, Op Wolf and Thunderbolt, they have the Electronic single Mech doors which are fine, all need to be the red reject buttons, row of cabs with them all lit up look greatSmile

just needed connecting to the USB controller and originally I wired the bulbs to 12v on the PC power supply, the bulbs seemed a bit bright though, have a draw with old bulbs in from over the years buying bits, some aren't labelled so were blown, some are 6V as I bought them new from Giz10p for the Chase HQ and Op Wolf. Then after trying the bulbs in Op Wolf I realised that most of these bulbs are 6v ones as there the right brightness, so found the new ones I had bought for the car lights, even the 12v ones are too bright though it may be the wattage thinking about but changed it over to the 5v with 6v bulbs

Found a panel mount LED, was Red but after connecting up to PC one of the legs fell off, so changed it to Green as it's the PC power on, the other switch is a Cherry one, came from a pusher machine, I'd gforgot where it was from till seeing two more on the machine the other day, perfect for the manual  monitor Degauss, still needs wiring up

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Jul 2019 at 9:15am
Was getting fed up of the monitor making loads of noise when first switched on, also colour and brightness changing

took out the chassis and wrote down all the caps and values, then changed them all. need to type all the info and save in document before I loose the bit of paper. takes quite a while as it was over 20 caps. Had pretty much all of them as I bought quite a lot of Panasonic ones mainly for recapping the monitors

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 12:11am
It's nice to get the roof panels replaced, specially when the main one was painted black, I've just put a new back part on again as I cracked the other one rushing and hadn't got the angle quite right, this one fits perfect

Shame the Perspex ain't perfect thanks to the useless morons at https://www.sheetplastics.co.uk/" rel="nofollow - https://www.sheetplastics.co.uk/   I spend £160+ worth or plastic with them and half of it is scratched so bad on the protective layer it's gone through to the plastic with deep scratches, chips out of it. that's me collecting it from them as well, could understand if it was shipped, it was all together waiting for me, guy picked up like 4/5 sheets at once as I bought bits for this machine and for 2 other things I was doing. I picked up a few and they went straight in the car on cloths. I try to buy local keep them in business but I shan't bother again. I really should of complained but always so busy I forget. I didn't check the sheets for a few weeks till I was ready to start with the work, wasn't till then I separated them all to find half of them in this state

Can't remember if I got the idea off other Member here, Think I'd been looking up bending Perspex/polycarbonate sheets as I had a few other things I need to do this on before the Star wars, the Sega Driving machine Signs, Glendale Monkey, made a few other small things as well, so all you need is a line bending machine which you can make, think I got some help with someone here that had already done it. some bits of chipboard, some aluminium U channel which came off partners old cooker from the handles, the heater wire and variable transformer which I wanted to get anyway after using them from work, use a spring to tension the wire as it stretches as it heats up

I found it was better for big sheets to clamp them down which lifting the wood with the hinges on, they came off something as well, only the wire is new

The first smaller bend done, which is no problem, it's the next one that you need to get in the exact right place else it's scrap, only one go at it

I suppose it depends where it hinges when you make it, but if I put the line where I want to bend it and over the heater wire, it is in the right place and ends up perfect place, but I test it on scrap bits first to check

Drilled the holes like the original top Panel, the lights make it look the wrong colour, will take some more in the day time

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 9:44am
That is wonderful work with bending those plastics yourself

Sorry to hear you got such poor quality from the so called professionals

Just goes to show sometimes, if you want it doing right - do it yourself

I'm sure you'll now be inundated with requests for replacements plexis!

Date Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 10:06am
The Star Wars Controller, really wanted to save money here so use this beat up Road Blasters Controller to convert

The Left/Right steering part is already done, the Handles are Star Wars type which is perfect, shame the thumb buttons have been changed but they will do

When I took the cover off it, the bar the handles are on resembles the one in an original Star Wars yoke, just missing a could of holes for stopper bar and bolt

Hadn't really got much of a plan apart from cut the front of the RB off, remove the bar and cut out sides to weld on, as long as it looks just like SW yoke I wasn't to bothered how it was inside. Only trouble was I had no measurements to go on. I then found an original cover from one on ebay, so when that arrived I started dissembling some metal I got from Indyjones off here when picking up a monkey machine, it was from a Konami Police 24/7, huge chunk of metal weight about 30kg in total and wood box on front of it with speakers, it also supported the top metal frame which is why it's so well built.

So I cut all that up with the Angle Grinder, trying to cut through the welds to separate it all, been using the metal for control panels and this, so no costSmile

Then Plans changed

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 4:42pm
there is an exploded view of a yoke in the return of the jedi manual,available online,that might be of use to you

-------------
====WANTED====

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 8:17am
Originally posted by namfreak namfreak wrote:

That is wonderful work with bending those plastics yourself

Sorry to hear you got such poor quality from the so called professionals

Just goes to show sometimes, if you want it doing right - do it yourself

I'm sure you'll now be inundated with requests for replacements plexis!

Cheers mateSmile 

It's quite easy to do, anyone can do it, just let it heat up and bend, so useful though, I was using it again yesterday to adjust angle of some plastic, used it remake part of 2p Pusher after cracking the original so it's proper good to have setup

I'm thinking of making some Thunderblade Deluxe monitor covers sometime, they always broken or missingSmile

It's quite poor when a company can't get some sheets from the shop floor to the reception area for collection without damaging half of it, exactly why I do as much as I can now.

At the same time, I am amazed at the excellent work many members here do, some real quality workmanship goes on restoring these machines and that gives you a bit of faith back that plenty of people in the UK still do brilliant work and it's not all shoddy poor stuff that's seen many industries disappear

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 8:32am
Originally posted by stevebm1 stevebm1 wrote:

there is an exploded view of a yoke in the return of the jedi manual,available online,that might be of use to you

Cheers SteveSmile

I managed to get this from ebay to assist, so I changed the plan to convert the RB one

What a state this original one is in, I paid too much for it really but good old ebay sellers don't show pics of the inside so got stung really, Think it ended up around £160 which is crazy when it needs total restoration doing and a few new parts so it would end up costing more than £250 I could of bought some for. Also that isn't the cover it came with, that is completely shot, so bent up and original overlay so bad so with this cover it's still about £200

-------------

Posted By: slowcade
Date Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 8:46am
This is probably the most impressive thread I've read this year. Thanks for sharing! Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 10:43am
Originally posted by slowcade slowcade wrote:

This is probably the most impressive thread I've read this year. Thanks for sharing! Thumbs Up

Very kind of you sirEmbarrassed Hopefully the next part will be even more so, I'm pretty pleased with itEmbarrassedEmbarrassed

Thing for me is, just how nice everyone really is in this hobby and on this forum. I'll have plenty more restorations and Conversions as I work through my machines so I can certainly post more of thisBig smile

So I got an original Yoke, so then had to decide if I should carry on with this, really enjoy making things, like the challenge too, so I carry on with my original plan but now have this to really do a better job than originally planned, so I want to properly copy the original so it's built the same inside as well as looking the part outside

Also there is another part to the story after this is done, the Saga does continueLOLClown

After getting this original, the 1st sides I'd cut out to convert the RB are slightly to smallOuch, also they weren't quite even both side, so stuff It and started again, things have to be right if I do it, get that from my Mum, if we offered to do Ironing she wouldn't let us as we wouldn't do it to her standardsLOL 

So new sides cut out

Sides just need grinding and filing to the right size and shape

The next part is making the two internal supports, the front part is bent in L shape but then has another tab bent up for the Potentiometer to fit in

I bought a bending tool so doing some bends is not a problem, but it doesn't allow a bent another way on same part of metal, luckily I did buy a small bending tool that just goes on Vice jaws, which only lets you bend a small bit of metal at right angle, but that's what we needed so pleased I had bought it

one thing I also do when using old metal, even though I can bend it, I look for bits that are already bent, cut it out with one bend in already as might as well use it for this and save the flat bits for other stuff

You can't really see it in these pictures but you will later, the main bend already done, so then it's cutting out support for Pot and holes for stopper bar and gear

Use the pre-bent part again for one side of other support

Then bend the other side with the metal bender I bought, like with the Plastic bending machine, once you have something like this, you end up using it for quite a few things, I've been working on some Solar project stuff and used it to make boxes for fans, brackets for the car and plenty more in future I imagine

Starting to take shape, still hadn't worked out how I was going to do some parts

This was the original Controller Cover, what on earth do people do to the thingsShocked how do you straighten this outConfused 

-------------

Posted By: neil1637
Date Posted: 10 Jul 2019 at 1:01pm
Easily the best thread on the forum for a long time.

Faith in the C of ukvac restored.

Massive thanks for sharing and kudos for doing so much yourself.

-------------
Please visit my Arcade Diary Blog at https://neilsarcadediary.wordpress.com/" rel="nofollow - https://neilsarcadediary.wordpress.com/

Grail search - Donkey Kong and Pole Position upright.

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 8:59am
Thanks Neil, your all too kind thoEmbarrassed

Not sure if I didn't take some photo's or just can't find them, maybe I just forgot while concentrating on some parts of the work.

The cover is so bad, why try and straighten it when I can just make a replacement

The first corner I bent, didn't use the thin metal to pack it out, the folding machine does a good job, but it does quite a curved bend, so for some parts I put some thin strips of metal to pack out the contact area which gives it a tighter bend more like the original, so it bugs me when things like this go wrong, the 2nd one I used them and get a lot cleaner look to it, the artwork will cover it though so didn't bother making another, can't find pics of it next to the original

It does take me a while doing these jobs, soon as I try and speed up I forget something or make mistake, also things I'm not too good at I keep putting off, like the welding still need lots of practice so was one reason to get this done, have lots of welding to do on the cars, had to do some on the CRX last year as it failed the MOT so it was crash course on some old car panels and just went for it, didn't go too bad but it was mainly area's not seen back of sill and end of sill at wheel arch, had to plate inside area as it's rusted away, thing working on the cars as well, I'm not sure how a professional would attempt the same repair, but all was good as it passed straight away. The next parts I need to do is back arches so need to get good at welding for that to patch some metal in, damn rust

So the cover, like the Perspex bending, it's getting it in the right place, it's not perfect but that's how things usually go, if you did another you can make the 2nd better but it's ok. Another good thing doing all these jobs, I use lots of this wood and metal that's come from old machines taking up space, parts I've bought over the years and wondered what am I going to do with it, amazing what gets used a few years later

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 9:00am
I can't believe you've built a Yoke housing!

Outstanding effort!

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 9:34am
The sides shaped I drilled the holes in them both for the bearings, got to be both in exact place with hand shaft going through them, don't have drill for exact size of hole either so had to do it close and file down

One of the problems with these controllers is USA made, so bolts, bearings, shafts etc all in imperial sizes, you can buy the rebuild kits and get most of the parts needed but that's going to cost probably £90 with shipping and Tax, so trying to source as much here for future maintenance without the cost

Something else I really want is a Sandblaster setup, stripping the paint off everything is such a time consuming job, getting the powder coating off I use heat gun because it's usally so thick sanding it would take days, cost a fortune in sandpaper too, heat it and scrape off to get rid of most so sanding the little bits then is really quick

This rear part of the the RB controller is pretty similar to the star wars one, the metal is slightly thinner which is why I think it has metal over the top so its a U shape where are SW is only L shape, the other difference is RB is Opto so the hole had a bush in with the shaft for encoder wheel, the extra metal on end is for the opto pcb which was missing anyway when I bought it years ago. Time to cut off the extra metal no longer needed, using the original to assist

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 10:00am
so I need 2 holes for the Pot, small hole for the tab to keep from turning, also both holes slotted to adjust the gears. Trouble is the hole there now is right in the middle of where the 2 I need go, had to cut that out and weld in a new piece in so I can re do the holes in correct places

Certainly need to improve on my weldingEmbarrassed by time I've ground it off it's ok, only gotta hold the Pot anyway

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 10:04am
That is lovely fabrication!

If your school metalwork teacher could see you now...…….

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 9:29pm
Yeah I think they would be quite shocked to be honestLOL 

Don't have loads of tools to do the jobs, metal folding machine I got off ebay, a 20ton press, bought a pillar bench drill which helps, then just basic stuff like angle grinder, jigsaw, files, , drills, sanders and one of the most useful tools, the dremel type things which I buy cheap £11 ones from ebay or aldi when reduced, get some of the little fibreglass grinding discs from china and your sorted

Used this metal to make it based on the RB controller metal, about same thickness but when I got a SW yoke, that is a lot thicker, but in some ways it's good it's thinner as it's lighter, which is a good thing for a reason I will show later on

The back of the RB controller has same type bump stops as SW thought it's only got 3, other side you can't fit 4th in because of how it's made, the box with the handles, metal plate at the back is twisted where the 2 bump stops bolt in, they get some abuse for sure, and it's not thin metal plate

That made me wonder if this is good enough being same thickness so decided to strengthen it with another bit and weld it together, can't work out if there are pics missing, sure there was more of some bits

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 9:58pm
My original Idea was to just use the RB back part as the shaft for Left/Right steering was welded in place, but after getting the original SB one, I could copy it fully with the correct sizes, so I cut the metal off it and got a collar made to fix the shaft into

The Collar in the middle is one of the 2 things I didn't do, haven't got the tools for that as lathe required, so that was a trip to my Dads garage, he enjoys doing some of the work. The metal I had from a Sega Outrun2 steering, its the metal tube that goes over the steering shaft, not far off the size of the original but we left it a bit longer.

Main reason it had to be done on the Lathe is the end of it to match the original is turned down so it goes through the metal plate and comes flush with the other side, with the extra plate welded on as well that part at length it was turned down to was perfect.

Drilling the holes in the right places wasn't fun. wanted to match them up to the original Shaft that goes inside, so you could replace it with the rebuild kit should I ever need one. Getting the holes on the collar to match the shaft inside wasn't easy, but I managed to get them close enough the original shaft fits, then drill the holes in the RB one. Then the paint was stripped off the collar and welded in place

Next was welding the 2 sides on, it took quite a while filing down the inner metal so it all sits flat, need more pratice at welding bits like this, done some on the outside as well to make sure it's strong, also those first so I could then make sure it's at 90 degree

-------------

Posted By: frothmeister
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 11:21pm
Awesome dedication to this resto Bods. Well played dude. Keep it coming

Date Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 10:06am

Welding the 2nd side I messed up a little, The little return bits top and bottom I'd filed down too much, which wasn't issue after being welded but I was supposed to weld the outside 1st again, then check it's 90 degree again but forgot and welding inside, so that side is angled in very slightly so when the back support fitted its pushing back out again so it's very slightly curved not that you can tell.

My welding doesn't look brilliant but main thing it's strong enough, buy time I was doing the last bits it did get a bit better, to be honest I'm just happy I can do it all myself and you don't see any of it when finished, so when I'd got it all together like this I was over the moon to see it taking shape

Must of forgot to take photo's being so worried about welding I just got on with it

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 10:44am
The Bar the handle go on was fixed welded in for the RB but seems they used the same one as SW had which was handy, holes for the button wires already there and hole for the bolt to hold in the stopper bar, had to very carefully cut the metal from it, which did leave some areas with holes were it was welded in. also there are no slots for the clips each end, hole for Gear bolt or for the stopper bar to go through.

so first was flat the top for the stopper bolt

Then try and mark out to drill the hole for stopper bar, not easy holding things like this to drill, probably should of looked up more info, it didn't go too bad but was slightly out when putting the bolt in place, so it's at slight angle going out other side

So now the orginal stopper bar fits, I forgot to buy some metal bar for this when I bought some other bits or rod from local place, though turns out it was good I didn't buy it from them, morons again local

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 11:01am
When my Dad made the Collar for the other bar, I got him to turn down the little bits of metal left from the welding and also slot each end for the clips. they weren't quite wide enough so I put some metal tube in the end so it would fit in my bench drill and used that to file the slots a bit wider and deeper, really need to get a lathe sorted out

Still didn't fit through the bearings as easy as it should so used some emery cloth to make it fit and polish it up

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 11:50am

One thing I forget to do is think ahead, should of got some bolts bought off ebay, metal rods to repair and make missing parts, also needed something to repair the hole in the handle from a bolt going through where the original bolts broke off and rest stuck in the threads

Reason for this, trying to buy anything local just results in lots of wasted time not being able to buy half the stuff, it any of it. also again dealing with idiots in Leicester. I popped in a few places one morning for some UNC bolts, hadn't got anything suitable but sellers on ebay have the items. found some low melt alloy repair solder on ebay, no places local think to stock it so I popped in place that sell bearings and other things to see if they have any alloy rod, no only steel, so after thinking about other parts that need repairing on the original SW controller I went back in for some 6 and 7 mm rod.

Forgot about this stopper bar when I got home, had to buy some from ebay, with postage I get half the amount for the price, oh well don't need much. Spent the rest of that day welding in the rod I bought to fill holes, then came to drill the new holes and tap treads, got first hole done, then broke my 3mm tap cutting threads, so that now holds me up as I can't do the rest, managed to grind the tap and use it again.

tried to drill the next hole, wouldn't drill, as my dad said you might have trouble drilling the welds, but I checked and it wasn't the weld part, was drilling the new metal rod, well couldn't drill it, so I tried with lots of drill bits, then changed drill speeds but couldn't even get a hole started. Blunted about 5 drill bits and broke a tap. Then I found out why, the metal rod I bought local, the total idiots must of sold me Stainless Steel. I never asked for Stainless, even told the cretin what I was doing and need to weld this in and drill and tap threads. So I tried to drill into the fresh bar encase the heat from welding altered it and you just could not drill it at all. Just totally give up with these places in Leicester. cost me a day messing about and then had to find some rod I had and redo a days work again

The 8mm Steel rod arrived from the ebay seller really quick, no surprise I get standard steel and not stainless so had no issues drilling this

Just the hole to do for the gear and tap threads to secure it

-------------

Posted By: LewisGamer
Date Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 12:42pm
That’s some incredible work right there!
Well done!

-------------
Ello!

Posted By: clarkey
Date Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 1:10pm
Loving this thread, great work/read.

Posted By: wim outrun repro
Date Posted: 13 Jul 2019 at 7:52am
GREAT work on this cabinet. And all the pictures of your work. I just enjoy it.
Cheers wim outrun

Date Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 1:25pm
Thank god another weekend of crap at work is over, just hate it, so good to get back to things I enjoy

The main shaft it turns on for the left/right I had drilled the holes in it same as original SW yoke, took some work to get them in the same place on the collar, wanted the original to fit also in case it needs replacing, then cut it down to same length as SW one, it was longer because it was welded inside the RB wheel box In 2 places for strength, the collar on mine is deeper though so I should of cut it a bit longer but doesn't matter, taped the threads for the screws, had to file and sand it down a bit more to fit then to get rid of the weld areas

The bearings I wasn't sure what size being American Imperial, don't want expense of buying from USA all time in future so bought these off ebay UK, there same size inner diameter, outer is slightly bigger and also they were longer so I cut them down.

These are Bronze Oilite bushes/bearings. my dad knows all about them being engineer, Oilite being company name and registered, basically they already have oil in the bronze, I had no idea till he told me, but I've found out how they work, they are impregnated with oil, when I was cutting them down with the angle grinder, that warmed them up and the oil started coming out with the heat, so obviously that's how the operate, as the shaft running through them is turning and heating it up it lubricates it, pretty amazing really

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 1:35pm
There seems to be some different types of SW yokes, the handles from this RB has 2 hole in each handle, but also a bigger hole in the middle of them, think that is for roll pin, as the holes look original and painted inside. the left handle had a bolt put through because the original bolts had snapped off, the right side had one broken off too

was enough of the bolt inside to get pliers on it and with some wd40 and some heat I got them out, has extra holes so part threads on one is missing but the bolts still work so didn't attempt welding them up as I could make it worse plus I don't have Imperial Taps to redo the threads. You can get the new shafts anyway in rebuilt kits but keeping cost down

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 2:28pm
Every day for  2 weeks I kept thinking I'd finished and could get all the metal to the powder coaters, then think about something I hadn't done, the last thing was stripping paint off the handles, so wish I'd got Sandblaster setup but still trying to sort that. the left handle had bolt going through it so I had to fill it in with some alloy repair, no one local sells anything like it again so ebay and wait for it to arrive, though the seller was quick

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 2:52pm
Nice factoid ref the self lubricating bushes... 

The last yoke I rebuilt, I removed and replaced the bushes. I thought I had screwed them up because when I inserted the shaft it was locked solid. I had to grip it with mole grips and force the shaft up and down (fnarr fnarr). After a little while, it all freed up until the shaft was soon moving completing free of resistance.

From what you have described, sounds like the movement forced out the impregnated lubrication.

I don't think I have ever written a post with so many potential double entendres!

Date Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 3:20pm
LOL

-------------
Robotron, Smash TV, Final Fight, Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Street Fighter 2, Donkey Kong, Galaga 88, Centipede cabaret, SNK MVS-U4, Taito MT-8

Date Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 4:56pm

LOL just need to remove the part about the yoke rebuilt and It could be open to all sorts Smile

Most of these parts a pretty worn apart from those 2 new bushes, you don't want sloppy second hand ones, just to add a few more

maybe they are quite tight when new, probably worth just putting a bit of oil on to get it started. I did wonder how if they have oil into the bronze how that worked but after heated up it just starts running out, assume the Capstan bearing/bush in old Cassette players are same, they must be bronze too but same type

The main box looks better than I thought it would after being painted, thought the welding might look worse but not too bad really, powder coaters let me down again, left handle isn't done properly at the top, wasn't happy with last lot of work from them so I'll have to look for someone that can do the job properly next time, can't be bothered driving back up there to complain

Was a good job I remembered to drill the holes in bottom plate for Springs before taking up there, not sure if I forgot to deburr the holes for the cover but other than that all good

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 10:57pm
It was nice to finally be able to start assembling after all the work. I still need to get some parts so I can rebuild the original SW Yoke, for now I've used the big gear, the medium size gear, return springs for handles, clips for the shaft so need to add the cost of those to the build of it

Need to work out what it's cost me so far to turn this RB controller to the SW Yoke, all the metal was free, costs so far is Powdercoating but that's divided up with a coin door set, SW roof metal and Original Yoke, so probably about £17.50, as total £45. pair of Bushes about £7, and 4 gears the 2 smaller ones from ebay seller which was £28, only need one set for it but got spares, so £14 to get this working so around some bolts and repair for handles probably looking at £50 which isn't too bad as well as it looking like new

So old original bushes could go back in

Main shaft bolted in place

Cleaned up the springs

RB ones weren't that worn, didn't get the use Star Wars did I guess

Fit the new Bushes in the sides, could hammer them in but have the press so might as well use it, then remembered they go in from inside controllerSleepy 

Socket sets always useful for these things too

Ends of the springs go through the holes at bottom and shaft through springs

And the Gear

Stopper pin through the spring hooks and shaft and bolted in place, gear bolted in place and clips each side of the bushes

The Bumper stops on both controllers were gone, just the metal left so I had to find something I could use so not spending more money, had these rollers from old machines at work, very similar thing but bolt is smaller I can fit through, so I found some tube and fitted those in the holes so now correct size.

They do the job and the machines don't get the daily hammering they did back when new

Main shaft and springs are same, end of springs through the metal, shaft through springs and bolt through hooks for return

1st part of handles bolted on

Gears on after washer and clip

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 10:10am

The Thumb buttons on RB had been replaced with these square buttons, not much I can do but reuse them, wanted to get them apart to clean contacts and also the springs are a bit strong, have a drawer full of old springs but non suitable, got some from old machines at work and made them a bit thinner which has done the job

The SW one had a Trigger lever missing as well as Thumb Button, so I bought a block of Nylon plastic and cut out to Triggers to use in this one. It's not easy stuff to work with as filing it doesn't work that well so took quite a while

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 11:41am

Didn't think ahead again when I came to the wiring, already has the same connector as SW but missing cables for the extra Pot and others 2 short so found some Alarm cables and took out the red, white and black wires and some heat shrink to to make up the cables. reused pins from other connectors so all free again

I hadn't thought about the wiring because I have other plans with the controller, but wanted it to look and be wired up as an original SW yoke so it could be used on original cab, had to move the pins around, could do with proper tools for pin removal but use old radio aerials which does the jobSmile

Can't remember if this had springs in the handles for the triggers, think it did but couldn't find them, so again my draw of springs had nothing, so thinking cap on again, looked at pens and found a spring that's double length needed, so I cut in half and used one each side which is perfect

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 11:49am

With controller done I ordered some artwork from Arcade art Shop Smile 

Finally machine playable with proper type Yoke Controller, still have work to do on the cab refitting the front panels which are all altered so that's next but great to play it while I do more work, also need to make the cardboard screen shroud

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 12:18pm
Pure arcade porn! Absolutely amazing work! Clap

-------------

Posted By: muddymusic
Date Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 1:33pm
Incredible work dude. Completely recreating missing parts is next level stuff. In other hands this would have been way too much for someone to restore...most impressive.

-------------
Repro Arcade Artwork supplier, pm me or visit arcadeartshop.com

Posted By: yorkshire_spam
Date Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 1:48pm
Fsking awesome! Top effort dude.

Posted By: backflipper
Date Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 2:59pm
Well done! 

Date Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 3:39pm
I think we can all learn something from this great Jedi Master 

That yoke recreation is a work of art in itself. Absolutely superb!

Posted By: tb2000
Date Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 3:45pm
Nice work indeed! I like those sets of jaws for your vice to turn it into a mini bending machine! Asked my dad about those (him having been a draughtsman/toolmaker and then car mechanic) and said he's never seen any! I assume you've had them a while, they don't look new?

Posted By: ianski
Date Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 4:14pm
Superb progress on this, well done. Looks like you'll turn your hand to whatever needs doing which is commendable. So nice to see lots of resto pictures and plenty of write up Clap
Looking forward to more updates and seeing this come together.

-------------
My cabs: Track and Field, Mr.Do, Pacmania, Space Ace, Gorf, Jungle King, Astron Belt, Gyruss, OutRun, Frogger, Defender, Return of the Jedi.

Date Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 4:52pm
so how far did you get the first time you played it?,it must have felt great playing it in a cockpit

-------------
====WANTED====

Print Page | Close Window