Forum Name: For Sale
Forum Description: Sell your stuff
URL: http://www.ukvac.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=377054
Printed Date: 27 May 2020 at 9:24am

Topic: Nintendo Space Firebird
Posted By: mikeg
Subject: Nintendo Space Firebird
Date Posted: 19 May 2020 at 6:26am
For Sale. Original early 80s space firebird. Original complete cabinet. Fires up but I think a new board is required(No blown fuses) light scuff to back corner. Excellent mame project ? Contact direct for images .

-------------
MG

Replies:
Posted By: roadwarrior94
Date Posted: 19 May 2020 at 7:20am
Pm sent

Posted By: Ronnie Dent
Date Posted: 19 May 2020 at 9:17am
upright or table? price?

Posted By: big10p
Date Posted: 19 May 2020 at 10:13am
If it's an upright, I'd love to see a pic.

Posted By: JonathanClayton
Date Posted: 19 May 2020 at 10:18am
If it's an upright, I'd love to have it

-------------
mynintendoarcade.com

Date Posted: 19 May 2020 at 10:28am
Originally posted by JonathanClayton JonathanClayton wrote:

If it's an upright, I'd love to have it

Dream on guysLOL

Date Posted: 19 May 2020 at 10:30am
It's an upright

It got listed on Facebook last night!

-------------
mynintendoarcade.com

Date Posted: 19 May 2020 at 10:39am
Originally posted by JonathanClayton JonathanClayton wrote:

It's an upright

It got listed on Facebook last night!
Sold already? I can't find it. Keeps showing me those bloody American cars. LOL

Date Posted: 19 May 2020 at 10:46am
NO WAY!! I not got pussbook! anymore info pics price locationOuch

Posted By: forcefulfil
Date Posted: 19 May 2020 at 10:51am
its a full size upright red cab.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/158656218116404/permalink/534799473835408/?sale_post_id=534799473835408

-------------
UKVAC: The longest running UK Arcade forum on the net

Date Posted: 19 May 2020 at 11:02am
Originally posted by forcefulfil forcefulfil wrote:

its a full size upright red cab.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/158656218116404/permalink/534799473835408/?sale_post_id=534799473835408

Nice! £200 squid! Be gone for sure! hope someone here grabs it

Posted By: muddymusic
Date Posted: 19 May 2020 at 11:02am
Well holy sh*t ball f*ck nuggets. It's the real deal, proper upright, rare as f*ckedy f*ck.
£200 wow. Wow. That's crazy rare in the USA, let alone this side of the pond.

-------------
Repro Arcade Artwork supplier, pm me or visit arcadeartshop.com

Posted By: jengineer
Date Posted: 19 May 2020 at 11:05am
I wonder how many messages he's got? LOL

machine is so awesome it's unreal

-------------
ooooooh if I had the space (and the money) I'd have that...

Date Posted: 19 May 2020 at 11:07am
G'wah! Just 200 squids?!?!? That'll be all kinds of gone.

Posted By: prof peach
Date Posted: 19 May 2020 at 11:14am
Very nice too!

Posted By: mysticmonk
Date Posted: 19 May 2020 at 11:19am
200 quid for ANY cabinet these days is a great deal. I can't even see the pictures properly because it's on Facebook. Someone should put them up here for extra annoyance :p

Date Posted: 19 May 2020 at 11:25am
Read it and weap!

Date Posted: 19 May 2020 at 11:28am
Originally posted by mysticmonk mysticmonk wrote:

200 quid for ANY cabinet these days is a great deal. I can't even see the pictures properly because it's on Facebook. Someone should put them up here for extra annoyance :p
Out of all the pics, this is probably the money shot.

[edit] beaten to it by Ronnie Smile

Posted By: aztecca
Date Posted: 19 May 2020 at 11:34am
"Excellent Mame project?"

Let's hope not

Date Posted: 19 May 2020 at 11:34am
Thanks for the pics, looks decent nick. You just know it'll be a shytshow on Facebook with messages he's gotten.

And lots of "how about 50 quid, I'll take it today" :)

Posted By: SUPERSPRINT
Date Posted: 19 May 2020 at 12:10pm
edit

Posted By: UnclearHermit
Date Posted: 19 May 2020 at 12:11pm
Wow, really hope someone on here gets this and gives it the love it deserves.  MAME project indeed....

Date Posted: 20 May 2020 at 6:28am
Hi All.
Indeed the response to this has been amazing. Better pictures are needed, which this forum does not have the space for.
Email me for a pack and I'll respond. Even got the original 10p ply collection box.
Thanks guys.
mgarner1970@hotmail.com

Mike

-------------
MG

Posted By: jonhughes
Date Posted: 20 May 2020 at 7:41am
Mr Chuckie Egg needs to buy this cabinet. Did you hear that Alex!

Posted By: john
Date Posted: 20 May 2020 at 9:25am

Didn't someone say they would take it within minutes of being posted on facebook?

Date Posted: 20 May 2020 at 10:08am
Hi 

My phone has not stopped, I actually changed the notification tone...... this certainly has caused a fuss..

I keep getting advised to ebay it....

-------------
MG

Date Posted: 20 May 2020 at 10:19am
It would be nice to keep it in the Arcade community and get it to someone who will clean it up and get it running again. eBay may net you a few more quid but by the time you lose your fees, have someone turn up and complain it's broken or a button is dirty and try to reduce the price etc. it can be a right pain in the ass.

I'd stick it up for a grand, someone can come pick it up from you exactly as it is, and in a few months you'll be able to see it all restored to former glory and everyone is happy.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 May 2020 at 10:25am
I'd love the opportunity to bring this back to it's former glory!

Cash waiting...

-------------
mynintendoarcade.com

Date Posted: 20 May 2020 at 10:32am
Ask for a valuation here, you will get a genuine response and a hassle free sale.

Date Posted: 20 May 2020 at 11:05am
Originally posted by SUPERSPRINT SUPERSPRINT wrote:

Ask for a valuation here, you will get a genuine response and a hassle free sale.

Yep, this is the smart way to do it. Even just get a valuation and then decide what to do about selling.

I can appreciate the confusion when you have something to move on but don't really know the market.

Like, if I dug up an old watch I wouldn't have a clue on its value. But the interest generated would have you doubting everything. Is the watch worth 50 grand, am I selling it for much less than its worth etc.

You'll get a solid valuation here that you can trust. Other members will keep low ballers and crazy speculators in check and the result will be clear.

Take a handful of pictures that show it off, resize the pictures to fit on the forum (you'll find programs online that can easily do this), and let it rip :)

Posted By: g60hot
Date Posted: 20 May 2020 at 11:09am
I even offered more than his asking price to be fair just after it was posted but to no reply ?????

Date Posted: 20 May 2020 at 11:22am
Originally posted by g60hot g60hot wrote:

I even offered more than his asking price to be fair just after it was posted but to no reply ?????

I can sorta understand that happening. As said above, when you start getting a million messages it'll make you doubt everything!

So when you put something desirable on the likes of Facebook it's nearly always going to end in an auction type situation. Whether it's fair or not is one thing, but that's how it goes I suppose!

Posted By: _Matt_
Date Posted: 20 May 2020 at 12:13pm
I'm confident you will get as good a price if not better price selling on here than on Ebay and you are much more likely to have a hassle free sale and pick up.

Posted By: Body pop
Date Posted: 20 May 2020 at 12:15pm
Another feeding frenzy lol
A valuation thread would be best
I could see that making 1200 plus
Someone should make a decent offer and get down with cash
It’s obviously not going to go cheap anymore
Good luck to the seller ,he’s just found out he’s got something very desirable tucked away

Date Posted: 20 May 2020 at 12:30pm
I'd agree that eBay doesn't seem to be the place for this.  eBay is great is you're selling an item that the public would have interest in, so something like an Outook upright where people can bid themselves silly.  But a valuation thread here would give you the information about what people are willing to pay and avoid the eBay fees.  Put another way, you've already got the audience here that you're likely to sell to, so there's no obvious advantage in going down the eBay route.  Good luck with the sale.

Posted By: Chuckie egg
Date Posted: 20 May 2020 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by jonhughes jonhughes wrote:

I’ve got zero interest in this cab
I’ve got other games planned to fill my arcade.
But I do hope it goes to a good home and it’s not converted or messed around with.

Posted By: Equites
Date Posted: 20 May 2020 at 1:05pm
If it were my cab, I would sell to the person that has made a good offer, has a passion for Nintendo cabs and very keen to obtain it for no other reason but to cherish it.

-------------
Atari PCB's (and most non-Atari), AR2's, Vector Deflection/HV boards repaired & refurbished.
Wanted: Non-working Atari PCBs.

Posted By: Bobbdobalina
Date Posted: 20 May 2020 at 1:25pm
I’m nowhere near as knowledgeable as most of the guy/gals on here and had personally never heard of the game.

I think that’s where the answer lies. Ebay will get you top money and possibly more for the right game. The well known popular games of an era like Outrun, Donkey Kong, Pac-Man etc will always do well on eBay to non collectors who want nostalgia but not the hassle of trying to fix and maintain a 40 year old arcade machine.

As I said I’d never heard of this game and its very rarity suggests many potential buyers on eBay won’t have heard of it either and so it won’t trigger that nostalgia switch which leaves common sense at the door.

So if anything the top price will either be obtained on here or on eBay bought by someone from here, and the only difference would be eBay fees.

Only my opinion.

Date Posted: 20 May 2020 at 1:26pm
Well that one has stumped me - rare Nintendo cabinet and zero interest.

Originally posted by Chuckie egg Chuckie egg wrote:

But I do hope it goes to a good home and it’s not converted or messed around with.

Date Posted: 20 May 2020 at 2:13pm
Stick it on ebay so I can follow it and see what it sells for. LOL

Posted By: Stevros
Date Posted: 20 May 2020 at 2:16pm
£2k on eBay easy.
I’ll offer a grand and I’ll mame it.

-------------
WANTED Space invaders PCB Please inbox me!

Date Posted: 20 May 2020 at 2:54pm
I don’t understand where any of you get your prices from.
This cab has never been up for sale or auction in that condition and it’s only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
From my experience not many people even like the game.

In my opinion it’s one of Nintendo’s best games but I never got much positive feed back when I took it to events.
I hope a real Nintendo collector gets it with real passion and love for the game and not someone who is getting it just because he thinks it’s rare.

Date Posted: 20 May 2020 at 3:24pm
I think a grand is a good fair price the machine, I was maxed out at 600 LOL

I think Mike's just biding his time and also probably trying to get through all his messages 

-------------

Date Posted: 20 May 2020 at 3:47pm

I don’t understand where any of you get your prices from.
This cab has never been up for sale or auction in that condition and it’s only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
From my experience not many people even like the game.

In my opinion it’s one of Nintendo’s best games but I never got much positive feed back when I took it to events.
I hope a real Nintendo collector gets it with real passion and love for the game and not someone who is getting it just because he thinks it’s rare.

Same I love the game a have spare working boards but I would not pay a grand! £400 max

Date Posted: 20 May 2020 at 4:42pm
Yes I am, great reading them tbf. Tongue

-------------
MG

Date Posted: 20 May 2020 at 5:22pm
Hi Guys

After reading your thoughts and comments (which are humbling) Its great to see the enthusiasm to keep the originals alive. The story behind this cab is that is was in my uncles roller disco in the early 80s. I used to pump 10p's into this along with Defender, Amidar, Zaxxon and Gorf and the other popular units all day for years.  Time moved on and a few of the machines where dry garaged... anyway nearly 40 years later here we are. The other 2 that where saved where an original Taito black and white table top space invaders, again with the original metal serial number plate. Get ready.... I gave that away to a friend a few years ago... (lump in throat) and there was an original scramble, which to our amazement fired up and played after all this time (dust removed and room temp for 2 weeks first), so there is always a story behind the good ones, and I have not just acquired or come across it.  I can say that after getting burned on ebay in the past I am reluctant to see it end that way, so It will go via this forum with an insistence on seeing a clip of it working when its done !
I am taking lots of decent pictures etc and will create a pack to send out to all interested parties, I haven't got furlough fever, so in no rush to suck up a cheeky bid (of which there have been soooo many)

mgarner1970@hotmail.com

Best Regards

Mike

-------------
MG

Date Posted: 20 May 2020 at 5:30pm
Good to hear Mike!

I think the resounding feeling is everyone would like to see this saved (as we do with a lot of these machines that are disappearing).

eBay is a good avenue for high prices (sometimes!), but as you say, comes with too many pitfalls (how many times have we seen things sell for high prices and then get relisted a few days later because the buyer didn't come through!).

I won't continue to pester, I think most people know how much I'd love to add this to my collection. I've passed you my details via PM if you want to have a chat.

Good luck with this and I hope to see it up and running soon!

-------------
mynintendoarcade.com

Date Posted: 20 May 2020 at 5:36pm

Well that one has stumped me - rare Nintendo cabinet and zero interest.

Yes zero interest in buying it why does that stump you ?

Date Posted: 20 May 2020 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by mikeg mikeg wrote:

Hi Guys

After reading your thoughts and comments (which are humbling) Its great to see the enthusiasm to keep the originals alive. The story behind this cab is that is was in my uncles roller disco in the early 80s. I used to pump 10p's into this along with Defender, Amidar, Zaxxon and Gorf and the other popular units all day for years.  Time moved on and a few of the machines where dry garaged... anyway nearly 40 years later here we are. The other 2 that where saved where an original Taito black and white table top space invaders, again with the original metal serial number plate. Get ready.... I gave that away to a friend a few years ago... (lump in throat) and there was an original scramble, which to our amazement fired up and played after all this time (dust removed and room temp for 2 weeks first), so there is always a story behind the good ones, and I have not just acquired or come across it.  I can say that after getting burned on ebay in the past I am reluctant to see it end that way, so It will go via this forum with an insistence on seeing a clip of it working when its done !
I am taking lots of decent pictures etc and will create a pack to send out to all interested parties, I haven't got furlough fever, so in no rush to suck up a cheeky bid (of which there have been soooo many)

mgarner1970@hotmail.com

Best Regards

Mike

Great story i used to love the roller disco.
It will go to good home selling on here and you’ll get a good price. There’s also a great dedicated courier for games who will transport it wherever it needs to go safely.
All the best with the sale.

Date Posted: 20 May 2020 at 6:10pm
I was wondering how you came by it, so thanks for the back story. You still have the Scramble, then? GLWS

Date Posted: 20 May 2020 at 6:16pm
Just brilliant that these things are still out there, sitting waiting to be discovered.

Date Posted: 20 May 2020 at 6:47pm
Mike Mike, I really want to know about all the low ball offers, please name and shame brethen LOL

-------------

Posted By: forcefulfil
Date Posted: 20 May 2020 at 7:38pm
If it involves the line -and a packet of polo mints, I've got a good idea.......

-------------
UKVAC: The longest running UK Arcade forum on the net

Posted By: Franzy21
Date Posted: 20 May 2020 at 9:05pm
For the ones who don't have enough money or who will arrive too late for this rare bird,  I have sent pics from mine to some guy in the US beginning of this year and apparently now Olly Cotton from Arcadeshop (?) and Mike from Mike's Arcade are working on repro'ing the CPO. It should adapt on every "Donkey Kong"ish cab.

I took me five years to repair the monitor-in-a-box and find an orginal marquee for mine.
These cabs really are something you don't see everyday.
Hope this Irish one finds a proper home.

-------------
Dreaming of a Namco Galaxian waiting for me in a barn...

Date Posted: 20 May 2020 at 9:15pm

Most people have only played it on a cocktail table on a 14" screen.
That may explain why.
It's so much better on a 20" and these one-shot Firebirds get so vicious after a  few levels...
:)

-------------

Date Posted: 20 May 2020 at 9:37pm
Hi. The Scramble does still exist. I'm feeling it may pop up soon ??

-------------
MG

Date Posted: 20 May 2020 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by Franzy21 Franzy21 wrote:

That may explain why.
It's so much better on a 20" and these one-shot Firebirds get so vicious after a  few levels...

Agreed, I’ve never played Space Firebird on the cocktail table and never ever want to (and I played that game a lot). Actually I never want to play any game on a cocktail, worst possible posture you could ever adopt. I would have to walk away no matter what game it was on a cocktail table.

Date Posted: 20 May 2020 at 9:42pm
As I remember, it certainly was one of the more difficult games and normally a quick 10p lol. TBH defender was my favourite, clocking it seemed like a life achievement back in the day.. ??

-------------
MG

Date Posted: 20 May 2020 at 9:57pm

That may explain why.

Agreed, I’ve never played Space Firebird on the cocktail table and never ever want to (and I played that game a lot). Actually I never want to play any game on a cocktail, worst possible posture you could ever adopt. I would have to walk away no matter what game it was on a cocktail table.

The result of playing too many cocktails, except it's not a disguise...

Date Posted: 20 May 2020 at 10:04pm
Very good mysticmonk ,that made me laugh

Date Posted: 20 May 2020 at 10:15pm
Can people stop talking about cocktails. My back and neck are starting to twinge with PTSD.

Hi. The Scramble does still exist. I'm feeling it may pop up soon ??
Ooh, would like to see a pic of it. Interested to see what version you have.

Posted By: _Matt_
Date Posted: 20 May 2020 at 10:27pm
Me too.

Posted By: andyman
Date Posted: 20 May 2020 at 10:56pm

Played 3 hour game on a Streets Defender bitd just to see if I could...never again LOL

-------------

Initial tests indicate
       unit OK

Posted By: Rog69
Date Posted: 21 May 2020 at 12:01am
I love Space Firebird. I first played it in Summerland on the Isle of Man on holiday (upright) and then found two more uprights side by side in the pier arcade, Aberystwyth, where my parents had a caravan. Those two machines (well, the one on the right with the better joystick) ate a good chunk of my holiday money for the years that they were there.

I was quite surprised at how many people didn't like this game when Vic and Shaun covered it on the 10p arcade podcast, I think I was one of the very few who raved about it. Glad to see this one looks like it will probably go to a collector and get restored, I hope whoever buys it will make a restore thread on here.

Date Posted: 21 May 2020 at 10:53am

For the ones who don't have enough money or who will arrive too late for this rare bird,  I have sent pics from mine to some guy in the US beginning of this year and apparently now Olly Cotton from Arcadeshop (?) and Mike from Mike's Arcade are working on repro'ing the CPO. It should adapt on every "Donkey Kong"ish cab.

Yes that's me. We were working off the photos so the chance to get proper scans of the art from this one would be an incredible help. I just did the whole Space Demon kit from the images I could find and that ended up looking superb. Planning to make up the side art for it, that will be the hardest part, but the more original art I have to work from the better job I can do of it.

Jonathan Clayton has already said he'd be happy to get the art from this cab scanned should he get it so I'm keeping my fingers crossed there's a deal to be done.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 May 2020 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by andyman andyman wrote:

Played 3 hour game on a Streets Defender bitd just to see if I could...never again LOL

Never mind the cocktail .how did you last 3 hours on defender
What’s the secret ? Or is it just practice .you must have super human reflexes or something

Date Posted: 21 May 2020 at 1:26pm

What’s the secret ? Or is it just practice .you must have super human reflexes or something [/QUOTE]

3 hours.... wtf... what species are you lol

-------------
MG

Posted By: strykr
Date Posted: 21 May 2020 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by Body pop Body pop wrote:

What’s the secret ? Or is it just practice .you must have super human reflexes or something

Lot of coke about in the 80s.....

-------------
Wanted - Electrocoin Wheels Runner Cabinet http://tinyurl.com/oq6dkau
Check out my 80s Synthwave Music :)   https://247retro.bandcamp.com/album/naeon

Date Posted: 21 May 2020 at 3:13pm

Haha 26 hours is my longest game, 31 million ish without any chemical assistance...

Never been a fan of coke unless its in a can with a hint of cherry...the green stuff is a different matter though Wink

-------------

Initial tests indicate
       unit OK

Date Posted: 21 May 2020 at 3:43pm
26 hours on one of the hardest games .with one 10p
And still we will wonder why arcades disappeared !!
Please tell me that’s a record lol

Posted By: RaveN
Date Posted: 21 May 2020 at 4:07pm
I owned two space firebird cocktails for 12 years and no one ever played on it apart from me.  I gave one away for free on the forum (missing the pcb).  Like Chuckie Egg said, no one gives it any attention when it's mentioned in the forum usually.  Now all of a sudden everyone's gone mad over it.

-------------
Welcome to bonus stage.

Date Posted: 21 May 2020 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by muddymusic muddymusic wrote:

For the ones who don't have enough money or who
will arrive too late for this rare bird,  I have sent pics from mine to
some guy in the US beginning of this year and apparently now Olly Cotton
from Arcadeshop (?) and Mike from Mike's Arcade are working on
repro'ing the CPO. It should adapt on every "Donkey Kong"ish
cab.

Yes that's me. We were working off the
photos so the chance to get proper scans of the art from this one would
be an incredible help. I just did the whole Space Demon kit from the
images I could find and that ended up looking superb. Planning to
make up the side art for it, that will be the hardest part, but the
more original art I have to work from the better job I can do of it.

Jonathan
Clayton has already said he'd be happy to get the art from this cab
scanned should he get it so I'm keeping my fingers crossed there's a
deal to be done.

I don’t have a scanner.
But if you want more pics, I can!

-------------

Date Posted: 21 May 2020 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by Body pop Body pop wrote:

26 hours on one of the hardest games .with one 10p
And still we will wonder why arcades disappeared !!
Please tell me that’s a record lol

I think 33million is the highest recorded in the US in '82...I could have carried on but I got bored and walked away...cant be bothered with all that BS, its a game, it doesn't mean shyte...I play because I love them LOL

Defender was my relaxation...

-------------

Initial tests indicate
       unit OK

Posted By: acidburn
Date Posted: 21 May 2020 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by RaveN RaveN wrote:

I owned two space firebird cocktails for 12 years and no one ever played on it apart from me.  I gave one away for free on the forum (missing the pcb).  Like Chuckie Egg said, no one gives it any attention when it's mentioned in the forum usually.  Now all of a sudden everyone's gone mad over it.

It's because of the rare cabinet variant. When anything that is genuinely rare comes up in any hobby it will grab peoples attention.

-------------
10 PRINT "BOOBS"
20 GOTO 10
RUN

Date Posted: 21 May 2020 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by RaveN RaveN wrote:

It's all about getting those "PERFECT" 1000point bonus! That's the thrill of this game, trying to not miss anything in each wave is risky! But the pay off is worth itSmile sometimesLOL

Posted By: digweed
Date Posted: 22 May 2020 at 7:36am

Haha 26 hours is my longest game, 31 million ish without any chemical assistance...

Never been a fan of coke unless its in a can with a hint of cherry...the green stuff is a different matter though Wink

Beer Thumbs Up

-------------
Wanted: Space

Date Posted: 22 May 2020 at 7:39am
So this was £200 but is now how much? Confused

-------------

Date Posted: 22 May 2020 at 10:51am
Originally posted by digweed digweed wrote:

200 was a kinda very small worm on a large hook in Facebook world. TBH I put £12345.67 like most do at first, but felt sheepish lol
Response has been great, with a genuine love to kept originals alive. Particular thanks to Franz who I spent a while talking to in France, who i felt bad for as he thought his was the only one left (according to sales historys etc) and he searched most of Europe, eventually finding one and paying what it was worth to him, he has some great info and project notes about this machine. Great to see the enthusiasm for bragging rights for something money really cant buy. It may not be to some tastes but neither are IMO some smacked up pictures of flowers or half a sheep that seem to be worth something. Good to see Johnathon offering to help others to recreate artwork that's long gone too. A mention also to Forcefulfil? who on day 1 gave some good insights.
This will go next week, I will not be Ebay'ing or milking the forum. I have had 2 bids the same that cover the cost of my new pool table project (which to be honest was always the aim) so happy you guys want to keep the bird alive instead of flipping the bird for profit... 
Thanks Guys 

-------------
MG

Date Posted: 22 May 2020 at 2:17pm
Hoping my bid was one of the two LOL... pinged you an email Mike

-------------
mynintendoarcade.com

Date Posted: 22 May 2020 at 6:23pm

Originally posted by digweed digweed wrote:

200 was a kinda very small worm on a large hook in Facebook world. TBH I put £12345.67 like most do at first, but felt sheepish lol
Response has been great, with a genuine love to kept originals alive. Particular thanks to Franz who I spent a while talking to in France, who i felt bad for as he thought his was the only one left (according to sales historys etc) and he searched most of Europe, eventually finding one and paying what it was worth to him, he has some great info and project notes about this machine. Great to see the enthusiasm for bragging rights for something money really cant buy. It may not be to some tastes but neither are IMO some smacked up pictures of flowers or half a sheep that seem to be worth something. Good to see Johnathon offering to help others to recreate artwork that's long gone too. A mention also to Forcefulfil? who on day 1 gave some good insights.
This will go next week, I will not be Ebay'ing or milking the forum. I have had 2 bids the same that cover the cost of my new pool table project (which to be honest was always the aim) so happy you guys want to keep the bird alive instead of flipping the bird for profit... 
Thanks Guys 

Good on you mate, well done! Glad its going to the community to be kept as it's glorious self. may the arcade gods shine upon us. Nice when the community all chip in to help Smile

-------------

Date Posted: 22 May 2020 at 10:31pm
Quote Particular thanks to Franz who I spent a while talking to in France, who i felt bad for as he thought his was the only one left (according to sales historys etc) and he searched most of Europe, eventually finding one and paying what it was worth to him, he has some great info and project notes about this machine. 

Although I feel a bit less privileged not to be the only one to have a Space firebrid upright, I am genuinely happy to see another one pop up, and in Europe at that. :) It's often an illusion to believe in uniqueness in this hobby (there's  always a treasure waiting in a barn), except if you manage to find a rare proto (Well done Alex). 

And also happy to confirm my theory that these cabs were most probably not fitted with the side art.

Hopefuly someone passionate about Nintendo arcades will get it and restore it to a perfect shape.
Jonathan, you're the man! Go for it.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 May 2020 at 6:24am
Well Thank you Franz
I believe I’m extremely lucky to own the rare cabs that I have and they are the jewels in my collection.
I also believe that everyone should have at least one game in there collection that has a back story or is of some rarity and significance to them personally.
5 years ago I would have been all over this game as I researched and collected Nintendo as my interest.
Since I have sky skipper, sherifff and now a prototype Rescue i want to have other games in my collection that are not Nintendo and have more nostalgia to me growing up.
I would love to see a space launcher upright turn up and I would still rather someone else to have it for they’re collection to tell the story.
Same goes for this beautiful machine space firebird.
Games like this really need to be in a collection where it’s really appreciated for what it is as we’ve all seen these converted to donkey kong over the years.
Also I’ve owned several space firebird cocktails over the years and sold them, so I don’t feel worthy to own this Gem.
It’s a fantastic game and if I did have the room for one in the future it would have to be a cocktail again as that’s what I remember playing it on bitd.
I Couldn’t think of anyone better to own this machine than Jonathan Clayton.
He’s a top guy and good friend and I know he will cherish this machine.
Fingers crossed for you Jon

Date Posted: 23 May 2020 at 9:02am
If this cabinet had arrived last year I’d have simply had to have it. I was aiming for a score so what bigger motivation did I need. However, circumstances over 12 months have changed me (although I had pondered being a potential co owner of this cabinet ) and what I want in life.

I couldn’t remove one of my Blast cabinets to make way for a dedicated cabinet ever again. My Blast City cabinets are so intelligently put together and versatile. The Scandinavians have it right in my opinion. I own these cabinets that I’ve never played on before playing new games that I’ve also never played before. Never played Virtua Golf before (it’s still in my cabinet since I got it), Virtua Striker 4 (same) and a Naomi multi (same). For now, I’m not living in the past. I’m making my yesterday’s dreams now and not looking back.

I love the game but wouldn’t be happy having just a single cabinet to play it on. I hoped someone involved with the scene would buy it so it would turn up at events. If that’s not going to happen so be it, I’ll put my one of my Space Firebird PCBs in one of my Blasts and have a Blast, it’s all good.

Print Page | Close Window