Print Page | Close Window

ATARI Asteroids Deluxe restoration

Printed From: ukVac.com
Category: Technical
Forum Name: Artwork and Restorations
Forum Description: Arcade related artwork & place to show or get help with restorations
URL: http://www.ukvac.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=379759
Printed Date: 24 Oct 2020 at 12:49pm

Topic: ATARI Asteroids Deluxe restoration
Posted By: namfreak
Subject: ATARI Asteroids Deluxe restoration
Date Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 8:29pm

I purchased this Atari Asteroids Deluxe upright from US ebay back in Spring 2018

I was reconfiguring my collection of cabs - letting a few cabs go which funded this purchase.

I really fancied an "older" game, particularly a vector, and after doing some research, an Asteroids Deluxe with it's blacklit background just has that wow factor

These are some of the ebay listing photos

Replies:
Date Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 8:34pm

Date Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 8:40pm
What this machine had going for it, in my opinion was:
  • It was advertised as working
  • It had the Braze multigame kit installed, which means I could play Asteroids Deluxe, Asteroids and Lunar lander in the same cabinet - very important for those of us wishing to maximise the play value from the same size real estate!
  • It has been through TNT Amusements workshop in recent years and had received a light restoration and service
  • The seller was in Maine, USA and was willing to ship to the UK
It was avertised at just a shade shy of $1700 which converted to around £1100. A pretty good deal i thought

Seller was willing to crate it up and ship it for me for a small fee

Date Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 8:46pm
The sale was in April 2018. Seller did an excellent job of packing it and building a crate around it on a pallett for shipping

Date Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 8:48pm

Date Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 8:56pm
So in late July it finally arrived. Courier dropped off the pallet on the pavement outside the house

Thankfully no visible damage to crate

Date Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 9:02pm
I had to disassemble the crate that had been built around the game on the pavement. The intention being to sack barrow it into the garage.

First panel off, and it all looks OK

Date Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 9:04pm
3 side of the crate off and all looking OK

So pleased with the effort the seller put into the shipping. Strapped to pallet, blocking around base....

Date Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 9:06pm
All timber protection removed and off pallett

Date Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 9:08pm
Then carefully wheeled into the garage for unwrapping

Date Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 9:11pm
This was like unwrapping a Christmas present as a kid. The one you'd been pestering your folks for for months. You knew what was inside but wanted to savour every moment of exposing it's glory from the wrapping

Date Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 9:15pm
The back door had been screwed shut as (like most original machines the back door keys had long gone) After a cursory check inside to make nothing had been dislodged in shipping and all connections were intact:

It works!

Posted By: Spaceman25
Date Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 9:17pm
fantastic looking machine!! Great condition too!!

Date Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 9:19pm
Having never owned an Atari machine before, and never a vector, my intention was to learn about this machine for a while.

Check voltages, learn if anything had been altered or messed around with on this one, start to build up a few spares....

First thing to allow it into the gamesroom was to ditch those awful leg levellers

Date Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 9:24pm
And then to install my obligatory "floor rails". These are 50 x 18mm softwood countersunk screwed to the base of all my cabinets, and then felt furniture pads applied to the rails

This allows me to slide them easily on a tiled gamesroom floor

Posted By: Bensonrad
Date Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 9:12am
Looks awesome, an Asty Deluxe (cabaret) is the one cab I have left on my want list, but I do love the full size version.   The packing of that cab to get it here is really first class, treated with respect.

-------------
Wanted: ASTEROIDS CABARET or ASTEROIDS DELUXE CABARET, also looking for a Super Pacman Bezel, a Euro Millipede inner Bezel.

Posted By: muddymusic
Date Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 10:00am
Did you see this that was listed yesterday Ben?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Atari-Original-Asteroids-Deluxe-Arcade-Game/313227410465" rel="nofollow - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Atari-Original-Asteroids-Deluxe-Arcade-Game/313227410465

-------------
Repro + NOS Artwork & Sega parts supplier, pm me or visit http://arcadeartshop.com" rel="nofollow - http://arcadeartshop.com

Posted By: philmurr
Date Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 10:12am
Originally posted by namfreak namfreak wrote:

And then to install my obligatory "floor rails". These are 50 x 18mm softwood countersunk screwed to the base of all my cabinets, and then felt furniture pads applied to the rails

This allows me to slide them easily on a tiled gamesroom floor

What a good idea.  I'm going to steal that Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 8:37pm
So the cab then joined my small line up in the gamesroom

Date Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 8:43pm
Looking over the cabinet, I noted the previous attempts by either previous owner or TNT Amusements to smarten the cab up:

Original black T moulding had been changed for a blue. Only applied to front face though! The back still had 2 different types of black!

The control panel had a really cheap repro overlay. The decal was the coloured section only - it didn't extend to top and bottom or even edge to edge!

The speaker panel above the bezel, play area panels either side of the bezel, kick plate and coin door had been spray painted over - and badly! Orange peel effect and paint runs

the side art was lifting and peeling from the edges. In farness a reasonable job had been done of touching it in, and the paint was holding the art down on the edges

The blacklit effect is absolutely awesome, and wows anyone who seems this machine. For those that don't know it's a very simple, yet effective illusion of depth that goes way back to the old rifle range games

The black and white monitor is mounted vertically and displays it's image reversed. It shines through a blue acetate on the monitor surround to make the white vector image look blue (similar to the colour overlays on Space Invaders etc)This reflects off a 2 way mirror mounted at 45 degrees to the monitor

Behind the mirror is a printed cardboard background with rocks and space ship cut outs mounted on stand offs to make them look 3D. The background has an Asteroids field and a starfield on it in florescent ink that glows when lit by a blacklight bulb, shining backwards behind the marquee tube.

The monitor surround has a florescent starfield printed on it too - so as you look through the bezel it's quite an "immersive" environment.

Add all that together and it looks like the blue vector graphics are floating in space. A very clever effect achieved by very simple means

Date Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 8:56pm
There was a few TNT Amusements stickers on the boards inside, suggesting they had done some work on these in 2013 (on reflection I'm not so sure their service was as comprehensive as the stickers suggested!)

Deflection boards and HV cage on monitor

Date Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 8:59pm
Power Brick. Maybe the big Blue had been changed judging by the sticker

Date Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 9:00pm
Main logic board with Braze multigame kit installed

Date Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 9:02pm
Nice back door sheet has survived well

Date Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 9:04pm
Control panel hinged down to expose monitor tube mounted vertically. Quite alot of sticky greasy gunge around the anode cap and anode lead

Date Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 9:07pm
Coin counters had been removed at some point. Bit of a shame, it would have been nice to know how much this was played. Other than coming from a small amusement machine reseller in Windham, Maine USA, they could only tell me they had purchased it from a private collector that had it in his home for 20 years.

Date Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 9:10pm
I removed the monitor bezel to inspect the two way mirror and cardboard backgrounds

The mirrors always get dirty over the years which in turn deteriorate picture quality, so I gave it a wipe over

The cardboard background and surround, being very fragile, tend to suffer with age too - splits, tears and creases due to sag and perhaps the monitor being removed a few times for repair and servicing

Date Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 8:51pm
So I was able to enjoy playing the machine for about 5 months before the monitor died. Game played blind, CRT heater glowed but spot killer LED off

After some posting on here of the symptoms it seemed the consensus was the frame mounted transistors may be the culprit. Not knowing much about the vector monitors at that stage I removed the monitor complete and took it to Equites (Nad) in Warrington for a going over

Gave me the opportunity to clean the tube up a little, this darker area on left and right of tube was not inside on the phosphor, it was gunge dried on the face of the glass tube!

Date Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 8:57pm
Since taking delivery of the machine I had started to obtain some spare parts for the machine like AR boards, replacement electronic components, spare PCB and some of the reproduction parts I would eventually need for the restoration.

One of my purchases was the excellent repro cardboard background from Phoenix Arcade

Date Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 9:07pm
The Arcade Renovations background is absolutely awesome, and hats's off to them for reproducing this very easily damaged original part

From what I hear there was no original film to print from, they had to commission an artist to copy as best he could the original artwork

I had heard there were two variations of the background originally, green and orange. So having either would be correct - yet there is something about the green background with the blue vectors that just seems better matched in my opinion.

I thought I would try and retain, restore and repair the original green background, and keep the orange repro as a spare for the future

Date Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 9:16pm
So after careful removal of the monitor surround cardboard I gave it a damp wipe and removed the blue gel for cleaning

This had the some gunk on it as the monitor tube face and so it cleaned up with DeSolvIt Sticky Stuff Remover followed by a plastic polish with Novus 1 and 2

Folds in the cardboard were reinforced and repaired with black duct tape and trimmed to shape

Blue gel refitted with fresh masking tape

Date Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 9:21pm
I had learnt of a matt black paper tape, which seemed ideal for repairing the tears and staple holes in the cardboard

And as you can see it was pretty good at repairing a large tear yet retaining the matt black look to the background - anything glossier like electrical insulation tape would have just looked rubbish

Posted By: Mark H
Date Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 10:25am
Looks really great Thumbs Up

-------------
"The Future Is Now"

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 8:11pm
There were creases in the cardboard background and monitor surround at it's naturalm folds, and where it had been damaged in the past - where the matt black finish had also cracked and showed the card underneath

This could be seen even with the lights off during gameplay

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 8:15pm
I was able to touch this in using Tamiya XF-1 Flat Black paint and a tiny modellers brush. I was very careful to ensure only the crease was painted, and minimised the paint that got onmto the perfectly good background.

I also ensured I didn't paint over any of the flourescent starfield / asteroids artwork!

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 8:28pm
Over a year went past and I was enjoying playing the game as it was, but collecting parts for the restoration

During Spring 2020, with the country in full Covid 19 lockdown, I saw an opportunity to get the restoration done.

I was lucky enough to still be working full time, but with all the car shows I would usually attend in the summer months cancelled - I saw an opportunity to use the quiet summer to start the restoration

I started by taking key measurements of the various features on the side art and their position to the sides of the cabinet (e.g planets, spaceship) which would help me position the replacement side art

The existing side art had been well touched in, but revealed it's defects on closer inspection

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 8:31pm
The white paint used to touch up the cabinet sides where the edges had peeled off was also helping to hold the loose edges down!

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 8:36pm
I was able to salvage enough detail from the serial number sticker for Etienne Op den Kelder in the Netherlands to make a  foil replacement

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 8:37pm
Can only guess this was an operators inventory number on this aluminium plate on the back

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 8:39pm
Condition of rear panels - various minor damage

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 8:40pm
Note the 3 different types of T moulding on the back!

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 8:43pm
Removed all components and carefully boxed up and stored

Removed T moulding until I was left with a bare shell

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 8:48pm
I had purchased the Arcade Renovations replacement side art - made from the original Atari films - and the quality appeared identical to the original

I had no regrets pulling off the original side art!

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 8:51pm
In all the cabs I've worked on I think this was the easiest side art to remove - adhesive was so dried out and the artwork came off in huge sheets

Last photo below shows side art all removed. The white areas are paint! To conceal the amount of artwork that had been lost!

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2020 at 8:57pm
Masked up the back door sheet i readiness for sanding / painting of the back door

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2020 at 8:59pm
Speaker grille is secured with pop rivets.
Only way to get those out was to drill out.

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2020 at 9:05pm
So it looks like the cab had received some filling in the past - evidence of grey / blue body filler in a few places. These repairs had been roughly sanded down and painted over to conceal them

What intrigued me was 4 holes in both sides roughly along the top of the coin door. Perhaps a locking bar had been installed over the coin door in the past? These holes went all the way through to the inside of the cabinet

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2020 at 9:09pm
I started restoring the side panels by making up a 50 / 50 solution of water and PVA glue. I then liberally painted this onto the cabinet edges and any large gouges. After allowing to dry overnight this should stabilise the edges of the particle board

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2020 at 9:13pm
Then to apply "Isopon P38" car body filler to the larger repair areas

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2020 at 9:16pm
And after sanding with 120 grit sandpaper...

Posted By: Baiterhater
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2020 at 9:40pm
Looking good mate !!!

J

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 7:48pm
And same process repeated on left hand side
Finer imperfections were filled with Polyfilla from a tube. Nice smooth consistency that fills most small defects, dried quickly  and sands really easily

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 7:51pm
Now to turn my attention to the cabinet top / back

The bottom rear panel wasn't painted but covered in a thin self adhesive vinyl. As per the side art this was virtually falling off as the adhesive was so dried out

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 7:53pm
Filling and sanding of cabinet top / back

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 7:57pm
Also filled some redundant holes on the inner face of the cab, the locking bar holes and where some P clips had bee secured for no apparent reason

I would cover this "damage" with self adhesive vinyl later..........

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 8:00pm
I then masked up the cab ready for spray painting the top and back to avoid overspray making unintended marks

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 8:04pm
The spray I have been using for the last 16 years on cabinet restorations, which achieves the effect I'm after is Halfords grey primer followed by Halfords Satin Black

Masked up the underside of the cabinet floor rails and painted the cabinet bottom first...

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 8:05pm
The onto the upper rear panels and cabinet top

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 8:09pm
And the restored back door. My bit of masking ensured that precious back door sheet didn't get damaged in the filling, sanding and painting process

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 8:17pm
The cabinet insides that are visible through the bezel had been painted quite thinly originally an some of the chipboard was showing through

I flattened the surface, minor filling where required and masked up the surrounding areas 

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 8:18pm
And painted with grey primer and satin black

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 8:27pm
My intention to restore the kick panel and play areas either side of the bezel was to overlay with self adhesive vinyl

Both areas had a horrible glossy paint on it that had been badly applied. It took alot of work but I managed to get the paint runs and orange peel effect off - and most of the paint with surgical spirit and kitchen roll

Sadly the original black laminate didn't come up as good as I had hoped - otherwise I would have left the original black laminate as the final surface

And the play areas had missing vinyl and gouges that had to be filled

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 8:29pm
I started on the play areas either side of the bezel. made paper templates first as there was a few angle to cut 

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 8:34pm
Then once the paper template proved accurate, used it to cut the shape from Pica Black self adhesive vinyl

Cut with a sharp Stanley knife and a 1m straight edge on a large flat sheet of laminated chipboard

Then carefully applied to cabinet, smoothing down to ensure no air bubbles and then adhesive warmed with a hot air gun to ensure maximum adhesion

As you can see I made these 1/2" bigger than the edge of the cabinet so they could be trimmed with a Stanley blade once applied - and hopefully would be a nice tight fit to the edge of new T moulding

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 8:40pm
Small area to side of control panel was a seperate piece. I joined these two separate panels with a 45 degree join that I hoped would not be too visible

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 8:43pm
Speaker panel re-vinyled and X slices made through the vinyl, once applied, for bolt holes

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 8:46pm
Small angles pieces on vinyl cut to go up and over the marquee area and extend to rear of cabinet where the join between new and old won't be seen

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 8:47pm
Vinyl patches to cover repairs to cabinet internally

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 8:53pm
Kick panel

Posted By: LAZORIAN
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 12:10pm
That looks like painstaking work cutting all that vinyl! It does give a nice result though.
I need to go back through this resto from the beginning and read it properly.
Keep up the good work!

-------------
My cabs: Track and Field, Mr.Do, Pacmania, Space Ace, Gorf, Jungle King, Astron Belt, Gyruss, OutRun, Frogger, Defender, Return of the Jedi, M.A.C.H 3, Firefox, Tron.

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 8:31pm
Next was to apply the new side art. As I mentioned earlier this was obtained from Phoenix Arcade and was made from the original Atari films. Comparing it to samples of the old artwork I had removed it was a perfect match in terms of scale and finish

I had it stored rolled up for over a year, so left it for a a couple of days to relax, laid out flat

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 8:41pm
I laid the side art out on the cabinet side, and started marking where the edges of the cabinet should be with masking tape. These references were from dimensions I had taken before removing the old side art from key points on the image - namely the planets at the top of the artwork and the space ship toward the bottom

When moving the artwork a few millimetres in each direction to get an accurate position on the cabinet side, I had to weigh it down with what items I had to hand in the garage

With help of an assistant (the wife - she's well practised in applying side art and vinyl after al these years!) I cut off the bottom 1/3 of the backing paper, holding the artwork off the cabinet sides. Then smoothed down the bottom 1/3 which would fix the artwork in place

Then cut off the backing paper to approx 2/3 up and smoothed that down. I didn't take too much backing paper off in one go and try to apply it all as the artwork is quite thin and difficult to handle

then once 2/3 of the art was fixed I removed the backing paper from the top 1/3 and smoothed that down to completion

Applied the heat gun all over to soften the adhesive and aid adhesion

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 8:45pm
Trimmed excess vinyl off to the edge of the cabinet by carefully running a fresh sharp Stanley knife blade along the edge

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 9:00pm
Next was to fit the new 3/4" smooth black T moulding.

I like to have my T moulding run all the way round and meet on the lower edge with no gaps

I had to take little v cuts out of the "fin" on some of the bends to get the moulding to fit nicely, and add a sot or two of hot melt glue in these locations

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 9:06pm
And repeat for LH panel..........

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 9:08pm
At this stage I could then get the completed cabinet onto the sack barrow and place the empty shell back into the gamesroom

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 8:43pm
Next was to start on the metalwork

The control panel fitted to the cabinet before disassembly was a little bent - it had a bad curve in it's upper edge. I had took the decision way back then to source a straight one for use in the restoration

This was one of my many spare parts purchases in the 2 years prior to staring the restoration

I stripped the old decal and put it with all the other metalwork (marquee rails, speaker grille coin door) for stripping the old finish with Nitromors pant stripper

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 8:52pm
The Nitromors didn't quite obtain the clean bare metal on all the components that I've found in the past - some of the paint and old control panel overlay adhesive was just too stubborn

So off it went to my shotblasting guy for a going over with aluminium oxide grit to clean off all old coatings and give me clean bare metal ready for a uniform re-finish

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 8:59pm
The plastic coin slot and coin return flap bezels had been sprayed over in the past when someone tried to "refresh" the coin door

They just looked plain wrong - thick black glossy paint over them

I found I could get this of with surgical spirit and lost of rubbing with paper towels and eventually using a Dremel tool with a rotating nylon brush to get into the "texture" of the plastic mouldings

Eventually got the paint off and back to the original bare plastic with a satin black finish

Posted By: Haves1979
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 11:06pm
Nitromors definitely isnt as effective as it used to be. Going to be fantastic when completed!

Can I ask what the bike on your wall with the mag wheels is?

Date Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by Haves1979 Haves1979 wrote:

Nitromors definitely isnt as effective as it used to be. Going to be fantastic when completed!

It's a 1985 Raleigh Vektar
I posted about it on J+ years ago, but there's a brief discussion about it here where someone else has spotted it in the background

http://www.ukvac.com/forum/search_results_posts.asp?SearchID=20201018213350&KW=vektar

Do an advanced search for "vektar" and member name "namfreak" and "any date"

Date Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 9:39pm
My tried and trusted finish for metalwork is "Plastikote"
First two coats of grey primer

Date Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 9:44pm
Followed by minimum 4 coats on Plastikote Satin Black
I do thin and even coats to build up to a deep solid colour, and flat down with wet and dry paper between coats to give a nice finish free of dust particles etc trapped in the paint

I find the finished metalwork needs to be left for around 7 days for the paint to harden. Start handling it too soon and finger prints and finger nails starts to mark the fresh paint

Date Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 9:56pm
Whilst the paint was hardening on the metal work I started cleaning the inner sides of the cabinet.

I couldn't work out if it was careless overspray from a previous touch up job or original, but there was spray paint on the lower faces of the inner cabinet on top of the original black vinyl 

I marked a line about half way up with masking tape and cleaned the paint off with surgical spirit

The upper sides were left as matt black paint as some of this area is visible through the bezel during gameplay and would benefit being left as is to blend in with the matt black cardboard background

Posted By: itruk
Date Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 10:05pm
Is the black vinyl, the pica stuff? that has a slight texture to it?

If you, could you link me in the direction as to where you bought it from please? I have a few cabinets that need touching up in areas :)

Thanks.

Posted By: qjuk
Date Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 11:15pm
This seems to be coming along really nice. Doing the paint jobs can take a while but so worth it when you see the end results.

Keep up the good work Thumbs Up

-------------
Wanted: Tournament Arkanoid original PCB.

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by itruk itruk wrote:

Is the black vinyl, the pica stuff? that has a slight texture to it?

If you, could you link me in the direction as to where you bought it from please? I have a few cabinets that need touching up in areas :)

Thanks.

Yes Pica Black vinyl has a slight grain texture. I'm 99% sure it came from Arcade Renovations years ago.
I can check when I'm next in the loft to read the shipping label

My Dragon's lair had a slightly coarser grain - what you might call a leatherette texture. That stuff was called Morrocco Black

And then there is a very coarse leather like texture (almost like hide) that is called Bison Black

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 8:55pm
Next was to start re-fitting the wiring harness that I had previously cleaned to the cabinet. Originally Atari had used staples to secure long cable tie tails to the inside of the cabinet.

I ditched the staples idea and went for 19mm x 19mm self adhesive cable tie mounts

Posted By: Haves1979
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 8:57pm
QUOTE=namfreak]
Originally posted by Haves1979 Haves1979 wrote:

It's a 1985 Raleigh Vektar
I posted about it on J+ years ago, but there's a brief discussion about it here where someone else has spotted it in the background

http://www.ukvac.com/forum/search_results_posts.asp?SearchID=20201018213350&KW=vektar

Do an advanced search for "vektar" and member name "namfreak" and "any date"

[/QUOTE]

Thanks, looked familiar and couldn't place it but I remember a local lad had one. Very tomorrows world and a lot snazzier than the blue Raleigh burner I had..

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 9:01pm
Painted metalwork now had 7 days curing time, I couid then re-fit the speaker grille

As I had to drill out the original pop rivets I replaced with 5mm dia x 12mm long pop rivets

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 9:07pm
And could then replace the speaker / marquee light / blacklight assembly back into the cabinet. Quite a good idea by Atari - a complete assembly that slides in and out for maintenance and repair

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 9:13pm
I had acquired a repro marquee made by This Old Game

Mr original one (bottom) was OK but has the odd chip of paint which results in light bleed. I thought I'd trial fit the repro (top)

Notwithstanding the shadow on the text is alot more purple, the repro loses alot of fine detail and also looked too "new"

Needless to say I eventually went with the original marquee

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 9:23pm
Re-assembled coin door and fitted to cabinet

Sadly I don't have matching coin return flaps - one has a leatherette like texture that was on the cab when purchased. I acquired a smooth repro from another collector. You'd have to be on your knees to see it though.

Repro Atari logo on aluminium mount plate, installed using masking tape guide markers. 3M self adhesive backing

It does look black in the flesh, the camera flash makes it look navy Blue

New cam lock

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 9:30pm
Next was to recover the Electrohome G05 - 802 black and white vector monitor from storage and remove the HV cage and deflection board for service

Print Page | Close Window