Forum Description: Need Help? Ask Here
URL: http://www.ukvac.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=382301
Printed Date: 08 Mar 2021 at 9:52am

Topic: Chihiro maintenance
Posted By: channel27
Subject: Chihiro maintenance
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 8:56pm
Hi all,

I'm in the middle of a F355 -> Outrun 2 conversion and I thought it was about time a tackled my  ridiculously loud Chihiro.

The plan is to change the case and GPU fans, check for leaky caps and clear out the 18 odd years of dust.

Case fan
---

I looked up the spec of the case fan and sourced a replacement that on paper claims to move the same amount of air: -
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07D74LXBW/" rel="nofollow - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07D74LXBW/

It runs at slightly lower rpms but it seems to be shifting significantly less air, despite the similar CFM rating. Has anyone got a better alternative they can recommend, please?

GPU fan
---

I found a 40mm fan adapter for the Xbox GPU on Thingiverse that I could 3D print and use in conjunction with a Noctua NF-A4x10 FLX. Has anyone else gone down this route? It seems to work really well. I'd be happy to print off some others if anyone wants one?

Leaky caps
---

The notorious caps around the GPU that are known for leaking seem to be as good as the day they were fitted. This one, however, is a ticking time bomb and needs to go: -

Am I right in saying that this is the superfluous baseboard Supercap that can just be removed?

Needless to say that job is next on the list!

Cheers guys,
Rob

-------------
Wanted
Tekken: 5DR, 5.1, 6, 6BR, TTT2
Virtua Fighter: 2.1, 3TB, 4, 5
Any working / faulty Sega Model 1/2/3 boards

Replies:
Posted By: Retroman839
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 9:06pm
better do mine!

Posted By: Vamino
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 10:17pm
Those fan mounting shrouds look cool,

Not sure if that's your Chihiro, but that fan is blowing upwards rather than blowing down on the heatsink. It should be more than enough to cool the GPU TBH, I'm using some 40mm Delta fans we used to use at work, I just screwed them into the heatsink.

When I serviced my Chihiro's I also applied some new thermal paste, think it was Shin-Etsu. The old chewing gum stuff can be a bugger to get off by Arctic clean 1+2 did the job wonderfully.

-------------
Insert Coin[s]

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 10:22pm
By the way, I may have a fan you can have for the price of postage, I'll have a mooch.

-------------
Insert Coin[s]

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 10:44pm
Well just found a spare fan and the fans I used for the GPU are 45mm @ 12v.
The fans for that shroud need to be 40mm.

https://ystechusa.cdistore.com/products/detail/yw04510012bh-ys-tech-usa-inc/485597/" rel="nofollow - https://ystechusa.cdistore.com/products/detail/yw04510012bh-ys-tech-usa-inc/485597/

They are quite loud compared to the Noctua fans but you can't hear them over the other fans noise. They move 10.3cfm which is more than enough when compared to the original Chihiro GPU fan which is pretty crap tbh.

Some 60mm Noctua fans are 5v so be careful.

The fan you linked to on Amazon is 60mm @ 12v @ 35db so it's a bit louder than the Noctua @ 19.3db.

-------------
Insert Coin[s]

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 11:05pm
Hi,
Thanks for looking but yes, that’s my Chihiro. I went down the Noctua route with that 3D printed adapter.
The 60mm one I’ve linked to is for the case fan. It’s rated at the same airflow but it feels like it’s moving a lot less in practice?
Did you change your case fans too? My system is a lot quieter now but I’d trade some more volume for better cooling if another fan is more suitable :S

Thanks for the heads up on the fan direction! Doh! I’ll flip it when I remove the capacitor

-------------
Wanted

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 11:23pm
I didn't bother change the case fan mate, the 120mm fans in the cab are noisy as hell so it seemed pointless to spend money buying new fans when the old ones do a good job sucking the air out of the case. Think I may have lubricated them but can't remember now as it's been a while!

I think Chris/Teminator2k stuck some fans on the outside of the Chihiro case sucking the air out, the pics may be on the forum somewhere.

-------------
Insert Coin[s]

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 11:29pm

-------------
Insert Coin[s]

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 11:30pm
Above pic taken from here:

http://www.ukvac.com/forum/daytona-2-cab-conversion_topic347616_page7.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.ukvac.com/forum/daytona-2-cab-conversion_topic347616_page7.html

-------------
Insert Coin[s]

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 11:32pm
Look like they are blowing into the case, not sucking air out.
Don't think it stood a chance of overheating! LOL

-------------
Insert Coin[s]

Posted By: Sbdesign
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 8:27am
This is a good  idea, I think reading this lots of people will be paranoid, thinking that their own machines need a little attention after seeing this.

For clarification...
The GPU fan needs to be blowing down?
The case fan needs to be blowing in or out?

Interesting concept with replays (in that link) to switch between naomi and chihiro.

-------------
Working on to many machines to mention.

Posted By: Fantazia2
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 8:37am
Someone once said to me the best of option for cooling a PC was having fans blowing in to create air pressure inside the case but then also having ventilation so the pressurised air can escape, that way you have a constant flow of fresher and hopefully cooler air passing through the case.

Originally posted by Vamino Vamino wrote:

Look like they are blowing into the case, not sucking air out.
Don't think it stood a chance of overheating! LOL

Posted By: Sbdesign
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 8:50am
Interesting, 
Gets quite contradicting when you google also.
But many illustrations similar to this....
Makes sense.  But can't remember exactly how the Chirhio looks (vents/holes etc)

-------------
Working on to many machines to mention.

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 8:58am
Originally posted by Vamino Vamino wrote:

I didn't bother change the case fan mate, the 120mm fans in the cab are noisy as hell so it seemed pointless to spend money buying new fans when the old ones do a good job sucking the air out of the case. Think I may have lubricated them but can't remember now as it's been a while!

I think Chris/Teminator2k stuck some fans on the outside of the Chihiro case sucking the air out, the pics may be on the forum somewhere.

I replaced the case fan as it was making a horrible grinding noise. 
I've got new AC fans for the cabinet itself too so hopefully I'll be able to enjoy Magical Sound Shower in all it's glory without too much whirring in the background Big smile

Those external fans look like a great idea. 

The case fan blows air out, so I guess that the external ones should suck cool air in? There's a ton of holes all around so I guess the exterior fans will cause positive pressure inside the case that can escape out the of holes (supplemented by the case fan blowing it out too)

First things first tho... must remove that leaky cap Confused

-------------
Wanted

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 6:10pm
The GPU fan blows down on the heatsink to cool it and the exhaust fan on the Chihiro sucks air out of the case. Sega used to have fans blow directly onto the chips but it caused dust build up which killed quite a few Daytona stacks.

This guy explains it quite well (From 6 minutes and 4 seconds):

Model 3 should have fans exhausting air out of the cage but I've seen them blowing air in, not sure if they always did that but I've seen them pushing air into the case too..

Over the years of building PC's I like to have a positive pressure setup with filtered fans at the front of the case pushing air, and fans at the rear pulling air out.

This generates an air tunnel effect where hot air doesn't have a chance to build up and because the air going in is filtered there's not much dust build up because nothing is getting sucked into the case from anywhere else.

With negative pressure, there's more air going out than going in. Even if you have air filters on the intake fans, dust can get sucked in from all over the case and it quickly builds up.

Gamers Nexus or Linus tech tips did an experiment with positive and negative pressure setups, they left the PC running 24/7 for ages and then checked out how much dust had got inside in each instance.

-------------
Insert Coin[s]

Posted By: Mark H
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 6:24pm
Hi All,

"Jay" from this forum has just removed my clock cap on my original Xbox and done some general maintenance so he may be able to assist anyone. Thumbs Up

-------------
"The Future Is Now"

Date Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 8:13am
Hopefully this is good for a few more years now.

Supercap removed and the GPU fan is now blowing downwards: -

Check your caps! It looks like I removed this one just in time. Luckily the area around it has cleaned up well.

Anyone know why the motherboard has writing on it? (bottom left of the GPU) The case still had intact seal stickers before I opened it so I guess it came out of the factory like that?

-------------
Wanted

Print Page | Close Window