ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Arcade > General Arcade Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Ready Player One - Spoiler Alert

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamjimmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ready Player One - Spoiler Alert
    Posted: 30 Mar 2018 at 11:23pm
This thread contains spoilers.

If you haven't seen the film, then maybe come back to this thread later.

Just back from a screening of Ready Player One.

And much to my relief, I really enjoyed it!

The film doesn't follow the book too closely, but I didn't feel let down (in the same way I felt betrayed by Hollywood's Hitch Hikers Guide). I loved the first gate driving challenge.

It has lost a lot of the retro arcade aspects - but would watching Parzival complete a prefect Pac-Man make for great viewing? 

And those with eagle eyes should clock some of Andy's machines from Arcade Club - I spotted cameo appearances of a Pac Man Midway cocktail, a Taito Space Invaders, a Robotron and a Revenge from Mars pinball!

The worst bit for me... the obligatory car chase (van chase) at the end. Is it not possible to make a film without a car chase?? 

I watched it in 2D but think I will give it a second viewing in 3D.

Note quite a 5 star film for me, but very nearly...

Edited by iamjimmi - 30 Mar 2018 at 11:27pm
silversmurfer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silversmurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2018 at 1:09pm
watched it on Friday in 3d imax - the film was ok - i agree too many car chases ! good to see an RFM pin in the last scene - kids said daddy its one of ours !

thought the key puzzles were very lacklustre worse than a Dan Brown novel

there were a few decent references to the book but not enough for me
JonTron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonTron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2018 at 1:40pm
SPOILERS. DO NOT READ IF YOU DONT WANT TO KNOW ABOUT THE FILM OR BOOK.

sorry for shouting..

Saw it Thursday night with the family. Luckily got a tip off about the Shinning section so were prepared to avert young eyes.
Came out very disappointed tbh. It missed key (pun intended) story plots from the book. Parts that make the book so good. H's character was non-exsistant which was disappointing.
2 keys were obtained by 1/3 of the book methods, and the clues bore no resemblance to the actual clues.

That said, if i had not read the book i think i would have enjoyed it more. I think that was the idea. They didnt want to make it a 'geeky' film dispite the book being all about 'geek' culture.

A few things omitted that bothered me:
No lich King
No Joust
No D&D
No Pac-Man extra life coin
No Gates after gaining a key
Swapped characters in the 'escape from IOI' parts
Daito & Shoto's characters being completely wrong
Shinning replacing War Games.

Noticed the Revenge from Mars but not many other arcade machines. Were these actually from the AC in the film? Knew they did some filming in Birmingham.
u72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote u72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2018 at 3:30pm
Yeah RFM and the other cabs are from AC :)
Visit the Largest Classic Video Arcade in Europe!

Arcade Club Home Page
strykr View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strykr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2018 at 4:19pm
They replaced war games?

Edited by strykr - 01 Apr 2018 at 4:19pm
Wanted - Electrocoin Wheels Runner Cabinet http://tinyurl.com/oq6dkau
Badlands & Champ sprint TG mame WR holder
Jumbosinbad360 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jumbosinbad360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2018 at 6:22pm
I've watched it twice now and loved it.
giantkeeling View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote giantkeeling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2018 at 8:39pm
Not seen it yet. Parts of it were shot in Birmingham. Anybody recognise?
NivagSwerdna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NivagSwerdna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2018 at 9:38pm
Just saw it with the family in IMAX.  Very different story line so in some ways it is not really comparable with the book so the book and film can stand alone.  

Really enjoyed the film but if you haven't already read the book then read it and/or listen to the audio book.

J69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2018 at 10:21pm
Spotted a few references:

T2 when Aech sinks into the lava
Willy Wonka when Wade refuses to sign the contract
iamjimmi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamjimmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 8:23pm
A gave this a second viewing - this time in 3D. 

Not a big 3D fan but this film really works in 3D format.

I enjoyed it more second time around - because I knew it was not going to be following the book I wasn't picking up on book/film differences so much and was able to enjoy more for what it is.

And spotted another of Andy's machines - a Joust cocktail - a nice subtle homage to the book!

Sticking with my earlier review - 4 out 5 starts from me.

Edited by iamjimmi - 06 Apr 2018 at 8:26pm
Mark H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 9:03pm
Hi All - I saw it last night with my kids (aged 10 and 12) and we all enjoyed it. 

Great to see Andy's cabs there - I certainly noticed a number of cocktails ! I also noticed a pile of EDGE magazines on the floor unless I was mistaken. 

I still have the fist 100 copies of EDGE and still remember buying issue 1 in 1993 !!! Time flies...
"The Future Is Now"
AnDyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnDyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2018 at 3:49pm
If anyone wants a free copy of the audio book
I can give you a link via Audible (new customers only)
UKVaC, often copied, never beaten.
ocb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ocb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 9:46pm
Just went to see it with my 9 yr old.
I had heard about the Shining lift scene, but decided not to tell him. He didn't think it was blood!
He jumped out his skin when the axe came through the door of room 237 though.

I actually forgot it was a Spielberg film, and TBH I find it a bit "light" for him. Characters are all a bit simplistic etc.

Been reading on IMDB etc that he said it is one of the 3 hardest films he ever made Shocked
I didn't realise Spielberg was such a VAC fan - and during filming of E.T he had a Missile Command rigged up to a generator so he could get a 1 million high score. 

I also had no clue there were cabs from ArcadeClub in it. Excellent! Someone should try to get that into IMDB Clap

Coin-op addict 1976-1983, 88-92, 2014-Present. Regional Atari (Pac-Man) Champion 1982. Utter failure at consoles & handhelds.WANTED - ATARI BREAKOUT RF CAGE!!!
robotech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robotech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 10:18pm
went to see it with my son last week and after constantly hearing about how good the book is from one of the podcasts I listen to
I was expecting something amazing ( they have also said that the film is great too in there recent podcast )

we both thought that it was overhyped
an average film at best
lots of hidden game and 80,s references but the actual story in between the in oasis cg parts was pretty dull
and the shining part don't fit the film it should of been something gaming related

the gundam being droped off by the serenity was pretty cool
but the extra life idea seems like it was stolen from scott pilgrim ( much better film )
and the end car chase was dull

as others have suggested we are going to try reading the book to see if it is loads better

Edited by robotech - 15 Apr 2018 at 10:50pm
silversmurfer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silversmurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 10:29pm
the audio book is better, read by wil wheaton easy to listen to on the commute
Alpha1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Do the Shake and 'VAC

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpha1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 10:43pm
I saw the film last weekend. I enjoyed it but felt it could have been closer to the book. I understand getting the extra life coin from playing a perfect pacman isn't going to translate into film well but using it with the library robot clerk, who was also actually Og just made it too mashed up for me.

I recommend anyone that hasn't read the book to read it.

The liked car race scene with the Trex and King Kong and also the Shining bit. Film was so different to the book though it made me feel 'why even try to have certain bits from the book in it? Just make a completely different story up with new characters'.
Wanted: Time Traveller, GALAXIAN 3 THEATER, 80's Namco & Taito games

Big Phil View Drop Down
Captain Phil

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 7:55am
Originally posted by u72 u72 wrote:

Yeah RFM and the other cabs are from AC :)

Didn't know this! Can you explain how it all came about? Where was it filmed? Did they just come and take machines from you? Did you transport them? Were you present?

More details! :-)
DMD Board Repairer
bbz149 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbz149 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 11:10am
Not watched it yet, but my mates 11 Year old Son is in it doing some fighting scene! 
Zipper View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 3:38pm
Spotted the Glaive from Krull being flung around in one of the last scenes. Enjoyed that. I suspect I missed a tonne of 80s references during the final scenes. I'll be buying the bluray to watch it again.
t-m View Drop Down

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t-m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 8:46am
I saw it, took it for what it was really, story was a little meh but enjoyable nonetheless.  I expect they'll sell lots of DVD and Blueray copies so people can stop and rewind to spot everything!

The Cambridge Computing History Museum also supplied some props for the film.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic