ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Arcade > General Arcade Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Rise of the Robots Arcade (Bellfruit)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archminion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rise of the Robots Arcade (Bellfruit)
    Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 8:41pm
I'm looking for any info about this unreleased Arcade cabinet.

I've managed to dig up quite a lot from back when the Jamma+ forums were still active but sadly they're gone now.

Has anyone here had any access to this cabinet at some point? maybe some stories to tell??

I'm also interested in finding anyone who may still own some parts from the game, only a very small number of cabinets were apparently made...

Cheers
John Bennett View Drop Down

4 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 9:12pm
My brother wrote the Mame emulation for it. Dreadful game.
I'll ask him if there's any nuggets of info he gleaned while working on it.
http://www.philwip.com -sibling 'fix-off' (I’m losing by miles).
jimmerd View Drop Down

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 9:17pm

I believe the owner? Ordyne is on this forum

(edit - looks like John posted and has the full back story)

Edited by jimmerd - 26 Jul 2018 at 9:20pm
Archminion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archminion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 9:29pm
thank you John. any little bits of info would be appreciated :)

jimmered: cheers. yeah I've been in touch with Craig some time back and he is working on his own cab trying to get it running...

I'd be interested to know if anyone else has a Rise cab? working or non working.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 9:29pm
The O.P. has actually posted on that 2012 thread! Looks like you've been looking for the game for a few years

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 9:32pm
Some comments on here, albeit more about the game hardware (scroll down):
http://philwip.mameworld.info/
jimmerd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by John Bennett John Bennett wrote:

The O.P. has actually posted on that 2012 thread! Looks like you've been looking for the game for a few years

It pays to keep going, you never know when it might show upThumbs Up

I had a similar situation and one day spotted what I was looking for in the background of unrelated advert.

Edited by jimmerd - 26 Jul 2018 at 9:45pm
Phil Bennett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 9:41pm
I know of two cabinets, of which Ordyne owns one. Sadly neither work.

Here's a couple of videos of it running in MAME:

The Rasterspeed platform on which the game runs was jointly developed by Bellfruit and Attention to Detail. It's 486-based with a TI DSP for sound and an FPGA-based custom video accelerator. ROTR used a 250MB(?) SCSI HDD.

Here's an old Usenet post from one of the hardware developers:

https://groups.google.com/d/topic/rec.games.programmer/oCVATLWee3s/discussion

FWIW, here's the MAME driver:

https://github.com/mamedev/mame/blob/master/src/mame/drivers/rastersp.cpp

There are at least two other games on the same/similar hardware: Football Crazy (quiz game) and Zool. I don't know of anybody who owns either and would love to see them found.

Edited by Phil Bennett - 26 Jul 2018 at 9:45pm
Long-winded repair logs: http://philwip.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archminion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 11:39pm
Phil:

you wouldn't happen to know who owns the other cabinet and is that something you can disclose please?

Do you know if that person happens to be the winner of a competition for a cab held in Games World magazine back in 1994?

cheers

Edited by Archminion - 26 Jul 2018 at 11:40pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archminion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2018 at 12:56pm
Thanks also to John and Jimmerd for contributing, very sorry to the Admin but I'm unable to edit the last post now.

Apologies.

Glenn

P.s. I need to be more vigilant, just noticed that I could...

Edited by Archminion - 27 Jul 2018 at 12:58pm
RobbieTTF View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobbieTTF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2018 at 8:30am
Archminion...I’m back! ...and I have something for your collection, pm me!
kidchameleon View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kidchameleon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2018 at 8:38pm
Wow I never knew there was a ROTR cab. Its a fascinating game, iconic for all the wrong reasons.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Archminion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2018 at 8:42pm
It's actually quite improved from the standard home versions, with all of the robots playable in single player (and by both players in 2P mode).

The main problem with this version, other than it been an early (and obvious) prototype, is that the robots haven't been rebalanced for either mode.

You can play as the Crusher and just slaughter the whole game easily...
dec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 8:26am
Hi,
When running ROTR on mame it says one or more roms/chds have not been correctly dumped.

Does anyone know which files are wrong ?

Thanks
Dec

whitecomet View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitecomet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 10:07am
I recently saw a ROR cabinet on facebook, they were discussing the legitimacy of the cabinet as was similar to other cabinets.

Cabinet had side art etc... not sure the hardware or the artwork was custom.

:edit: was on the UKVAC page

Edited by whitecomet - 03 Jan 2019 at 10:09am
dec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 10:14am
The above cab is an original with Rasterspeed hardware...and it works :)

Monitor is showing its age, gone very soft.

Machine going back to customer soon so if anything needs dumping let me know.

I'm sat about 3 feet from it now.

Edited by dec - 03 Jan 2019 at 10:22am
RobbieTTF View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RobbieTTF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 10:39am
It was me who originally posted it up on Facebook. It’s all very original, I can guarantee that. I posted it up because there is not many of us ever seen ones of these in the flesh. It turned into a bit of a light hearted argument over the origins of the cab and if it was a converted Electrocoin cab or not. I will ask about this at work as to if we built the cab or not as we had our own saw mill back in the 90s but it may have been a generic pattern cab from some where else.

There was a one-off custom cab that was built for Rise Of The Robots with an extremely large widescreen CRT in it and it was painted in silver hammered finish (possibly Hammerite). Unfortunately it was scrapped in about 2001 when they had a clear out...I saw it go in the crusher.
dec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 10:59am
Shame we don't have the other games for it.

Zool was far more entertaining to play, not seen any software for that for many years.

I threw a copy of the football crazy software away a couple of years ago :(

whitecomet View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitecomet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 11:28am
So @Archminion outta interest what is your collection looking like for ROR?

I know on j+ you were getting some promo stuff etc... just wondering if you have any photos?

RobbieTTF View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobbieTTF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 11:56am
Originally posted by dec dec wrote:

Shame we don't have the other games for it.

Zool was far more entertaining to play, not seen any software for that for many years.

I threw a copy of the football crazy software away a couple of years ago :(

I went through all the old backups as we seemed to keep them in the sound room but couldn’t find Zool, Football Crazy, Quizical or Wiggle

Wiggle was an interesting game, it was a play on pinball, there was a Christmas addition of it too
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic