ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Arcade > General Arcade Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Rise of the Robots Arcade (Bellfruit)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archminion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 12:06pm
Got a very nice Rise arcade press kit which comes with a VHS tape.
Not sure whats on the tape and don't have an old VHS player at hand.

Several promo shirts, an old badge, and lots of different versions of the games...
John Bennett View Drop Down

4 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 12:13pm
I'm struggling a bit to keep up - did some of you actually work on this game then?!

Admiring the dedication to the collecting anyway.
http://www.philwip.com -sibling 'fix-off' (I’m losing by miles).
Archminion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archminion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 12:15pm
Thank you :)

All the best to you all btw !!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archminion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 12:43pm
I do know that the Zool cab seen on Klov and the earliest version of Rise (possibly just running the PC version or a demo) were 100% Electrocoin cabs.

Can upload the photos for comparison if needed.

This makes sense in context though, as if these protos of the protos so to speak were only intended for show and promo purposes then BFM might have just used whatever generic cabs they had at hand at the time instead of making all new models for games that may not be successful.

I do also know that the Rise cab in this picture (and Ordyne's also) are indentical to the later cab shown in the Spanish magazine article I had on Jamma+. I can upload this again if needed as well.

The cab artwork was different though, may have been trying different things, not sure about that.
Ordyne View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ordyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by RobbieTTF RobbieTTF wrote:

It was me who originally posted it up on Facebook. It’s all very original, I can guarantee that. I posted it up because there is not many of us ever seen ones of these in the flesh. It turned into a bit of a light hearted argument over the origins of the cab and if it was a converted Electrocoin cab or not. I will ask about this at work as to if we built the cab or not as we had our own saw mill back in the 90s but it may have been a generic pattern cab from some where else.

There was a one-off custom cab that was built for Rise Of The Robots with an extremely large widescreen CRT in it and it was painted in silver hammered finish (possibly Hammerite). Unfortunately it was scrapped in about 2001 when they had a clear out...I saw it go in the crusher.

I dont suppose there any schematics for the board at your place? I may have already asked you, i've asked countless ex bell fruit people but there seems to be nothing left.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archminion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 12:50pm
Hi Ordyne,

Did you get anywhere with yours over Christmas?
Great to hear if you got it running or not mate.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archminion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 12:51pm
lol sorry, I guess that's why you'd still be needing the schematics...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archminion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2019 at 3:21pm
Just as a reference point here's a link to the cab used for Zool and Rise V1:

3rd picture along from left, top row:

https://www.mrpsclassicamusements.co.uk/Electrocoin.html

And of course Zool in all it's 6 (6??) button glory:

https://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=10541

If anyone can tell me how to upload scans, I'll upload my pics of the Rise version 1 cab here and also the Rise Version 2 cab which is the same as the one shown earlier and Ordyne's cab.

I honestly think they both probably are Electrocoin cabs, but picked up cheaply (and hastily) to install the prototypes in for shows.

The very large deluxe version Robbie mentions, i believe is a special one off built just for Rise.

Edited by Archminion - 03 Jan 2019 at 3:30pm
RobbieTTF View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobbieTTF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 8:17am
I will have a look see if there are any patterns for the cabs at work on the basis that we may have made them for Electrocoin as we still do a lot for them.

It may be work researching what was st the ATEI trade show at Earls Court backing in 1993/94 and if there is any press related photos where the one-off cab may be seen...it could have been built just for the show

I think I have been asked before regarding spares, unfortunately Rasterspeed is a bad word around Bell-Fruit. There was an awful amount of development time went into it. Looking back now, it was actually advanced before it’s time, while the arcade manufactures like Namco and Capcom were still using custom boards and processors, Rasterspeed used a Cyrix 486 chip. It was not until the 2000s when other manufacturers started to dump the custom hardware and start using a PC. When I started at Bell-Fruit in 1997, Rasterspeed was still a current platform, there were stacks of hardware waiting to be used. As I am the sound designer at Bell-Fruit, my first job was on Rasterspeed creating the sounds for a game called “Quizical”, it was a usual pub quiz machine like “Football Crazy”, another Rasterspeed project which did sell well. “Quizical” didn’t go anywhere. An in-house system software engineer created “Wiggle” for the platform which was a pinball/bagatelle style game where you had to judge the power right to collect the money or the were obstacles like spikes to burst your ball or bombs. It was a good game but I can never understand why it never got wheeled out to the public. There was a Christmas edition of it made with snow on the screen and Christmas trees. Some years later when we looked at photo games, I put forward a mobile version of “Wiggle” but they decided on a mobile version of a fruit machine and it failed. “Wiggle” was Rasterspeed’s last outing as far as I can remember and it about 1999/2000 the destroyed all the stock and lost our PRP money so that is why Rasterspeed is a bad word. There is literally nothing left regarding parts.

I think Rise could of been a great game if they had put all the finishing touches into it, it had to be up with Street Fighter 2 and Mortal Combat was not far away. I can never understand why the games designer of it took a step back and thought “what’s missing from SF2”
Ordyne View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ordyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 9:42am
Is there any schematics for any of the mainboards? I'm trying to repair one with battery damage.
RobbieTTF View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobbieTTF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 10:18am
I think I have been asked that question before on J+ forum. I asked our technical director at the time and everything has gone I’m afraid. The only reason why the Rise cab is currently in for repair is that it has been owned from brand new by a person who was involved with the game and it was an easy fix I believe by just reseating the ROMs
Ordyne View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ordyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 10:47am
OK thanks anyway.
RobbieTTF View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobbieTTF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 11:04am
How bad is the damage? Have you got some images of it?
John Bennett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 12:09pm
I'd always thought arcade hardware was pretty far ahead of the PC in the 90's (graphics wise anyway), so that's why people didn't think to stick PCs in cabinets at that stage.
http://www.philwip.com -sibling 'fix-off' (I’m losing by miles).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archminion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 1:34pm
I think by around 1993, PC games were starting to match the 16 bit consoles, at least in graphics. I think sound and music was still an issue for some games though and I guess not everyone had the right hardware to run DOS games at their optimum.

As an appropriate example, the PC version of Rise is still quite pleasing to look at in SVGA mode.
RobbieTTF View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobbieTTF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2019 at 9:55am
Having seen some of the Rise videos on YouTube, there is definitely some sound emulation issues with them as one website that was hosting the videos said that the “looping sounding are poor as they don’t loop correctly”. This would be down to emulation issues.

By mid 1990s, the multimedia PC was starting to get some momentum especially in the graphics department. Up to about 1995, there was still no real standard in sound hardware as most PCs were still using FM cards like AdLib. The introduction of the Creative Labs Soundblaster card changed that.

Until we started seeing PCs with 3D graphics acceleration in the early 2000s, it started to match the custom chip hardware of the likes of stuff like Ridge Racer. I remember going to the ATEI in about 2002 and already there were arcade cabs there with PC’s in them as it was far more cost effective to use off-the-shelf hardware. Some even went to the extreme. House Of The Dead 3 had an actual XBox in it with some minor circuitry to perform the coin handling. After all those years of us wanting arcade quality graphics at home (as most of us couldn’t afford a NeoGeo) the consoles took the crown.
Alpha1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Do the Shake and 'VAC

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpha1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2019 at 10:05am
Hi Robbie,

Without going to off tangent from RotR - do you have any information on early Bellfruit arcade games such as the licenses of Namco Galaxian and Nintendo Sheriff?
Wanted: Time Traveller, GALAXIAN 3 THEATER, 80's Namco & Taito games

RobbieTTF View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobbieTTF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2019 at 11:55am
Haha, strange you ask that.

One of the directors who has worked for the company retired in September. For years, he has had a non discript cabaret cab in his office that has not worked for years. He never took the cab when he left but I am in talks with our IT department to get it working again. Inside there were three boards, one is a Namco Galaxian and the other we believe to be a Namco Bomb Bee (quite rare I believe as it was only available in Japan)

I am trying to do some research as we speak about these Bell-Fruit versions. Unfortunately there is not many people left at Bell-Fruit from days of old...leave it with me and I will see what I can drag up
RobbieTTF View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobbieTTF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2019 at 12:07pm
Check this page out, also if you scroll down to some of the other posts, there is a list and links to some of Bell-Fruits bootlegs

http://www.ukvac.com/forum/swedish-bellfruit-puckman-anyone_topic355511.html
DrGlitch View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrGlitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2019 at 12:24pm
I've got flyers for the Bell Fruit Puckman, Galaxian, Smash (pong), and Tank Battalion - I'm not convinced all of them are boots.

Galaxian flyer states it was made under license from Namco Japan.

Puckman flyer is a bit dodgier...

"The game features a humourous "PUCKMAN" that munches little yellow dots and there are four monsters who chase the puckman"

I'll upload a pic in a bit.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic